Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries

Old 5th November 2010, 15:14   #1
Senior - BHPian

Default Kannur to Kanyakumari by Road

Hi, friends..
I am planning for a holiday trip with a group of people (about 16/18 people) and the area planning to cover upto Kanyakumari. The main purpose is to visit important Temples enroute and finally sun-set/sun-rise at Kanyakumari. ( its about 7/8 old couples and 3/4 childrens).

The trip commences from Payyannur by a mini bus and estimating a 5 days duration. Some members propose a visit to Mookambika temple but this will come into opposite direction?

Any one can give some ideas on this trip and what all important temples enroute which we can visit. Any other important places to visit??

Await your responses/advise!!
nairrk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th November 2010, 15:48   #2
Senior - BHPian

Maybe you should go via Bangalore and return via Kochi.
One can think of so many temples en route, but let me see what I can work into a 5=day trip:

Kannur-Mysore-Chamarajnagar-Bannari-Sathyamangalam-Erode-Namakkal-Tiruvannamalai-Panruti-Chidambaram-Kumbakonam-THiruvarur-Thanjavur-Trichy-Srirangam-Madurai-Rameswaram-Tuticorin-Thiruchendur-Kanyakumari-Suchindram-Trivandrum-Kochi-Kozhikode-Kannur

I have avoided Kerala temples since I have included only those places in the Thanjavur-KK region.

D1: Kannur-Bannari-Namakkal-Thiruvannamalai-Chidambaram
D2: Kumbakonam-Thiruvarur-Thanjavur-Trichy-Srirangam
D3: Madurai-Rameswaram
D4: Tiruchendur-Kanyakumari
D5: Suchindram-Trivandrum-Kannur
hvkumar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th November 2010, 16:08   #3
Senior - BHPian

Thanks HVK, your above suggestion is good (I like it). We have couple of people from Malaysia (Tamil origins) who would love to see all these Tamil Nadu temples, but some of our group people also want to see Guruvayur as well as Thrissur Vadakkumnathan temple (with an internal intention to visist Kollur also). May be we can plan this Thrissur and Gurvayur on our return, but I feel 5 days may not be sufficient.

Is there any possibility to go to Kollur, then mysore and proceed further direct to Madurai and then come back to your proposed route??
Old 5th November 2010, 16:24   #4
Senior - BHPian

Nair sir, if you want to go to Kollur, then you can change the program a bit and drop the Thanjavur-Kumbakonam-Rameswaram sector and cover temples in Karnataka.

D1: Kannur-Kasargod-Mangalore-Udupi-KUndapura-Kollur
D2: Sringeri-Horanadu-Dharmastala-Subramanya
D3: Hassan-Mysore-Bannari-Namakkal-Srirangam
D4: Madurai-Kanyakumari
D5: Suchindram-Trivandrum-Kochi-Calicut-Kannur
Old 5th November 2010, 16:51   #5
Senior - BHPian

Thanks your revised routing.
so 1st day halt at Kollur?
2nd day halt at Subramanya ( is it the same sullia taluk in south kanara??)
3rd day halt at Srirangam?
4th day at Kanyakumari. (this is fine)

However 5th day seems not sufficient and cannot reach Kannur on same day.
Considering that we leave kanyakumari at around 8am (after breakfast etc) and about 30minutes halt at Suchindram, I hope we can reach at Trivandrum by 11.30/12. And at Tvm, people want to go to Padmanabha swamy temple, may be Attukal Devi temple etc and then lunch... which means atleast 3 hours needed.

May be, if we can speed up and leave TVM by 4pm (which is doubtful), we may be able to reach Guruvayur around 10/10.30 depends on road/traffic conditions. But this seems too tight schedule?

Instead of this, I think, need to take one more day and arrange like this:
5th day, leave Kanyakumari at 8am and reach Padmanabhapuram Palace around 10/10.30. After seeing the palace ( I dont how much is there to see nowadays) will have to take lunch somewhere near i.e may be at Thuckalay, and then proceed to Trivandrum where expected to reach around 3.30pm. so 5th day stay at trivandrum and then proceed to thrissur/gurvayur next day early morning and by evening we can reach back home?!!!
Any suggestions?
Old 5th November 2010, 19:12   #6
Senior - BHPian

Yes, your night halts are as I suggested.

Please remember that temples in KA, TN and KL are closed around midday for at least 3 hours and I have tried to keep that in mind when I planned the schedule above.

The problem with late start from KK is that you will run into heavy traffic in NH47 till TVM and by the time you reach TVM, Padmanabhaswamy Temple will be closed. Hence, I suggest you leave KK immediately after sunrise so that you are able to have darshan in TVM (skip Padmanabhapuram Palace) by 9 am. Attukal can be after that. If you leave TVM by 12, you should be able to comfortably reach Guruvayur for the night stay.

One other suggestion is that you complete Suchindram darshan (after sunset) on D4 itself so that you can leave KK directly for TVM immediately after sunrise. That will mean you go towards Nagercoil and come back to KK,
Old 5th November 2010, 23:06   #7
BHPian

Dont mean to discourage you but..
Just my 2 cents , not sure what kind of a mini bus you are talking about.
If its a Tempo Traveler and 5 days , the kids are going to get very tired and might have car sickness (vomiting/fatigue).
All in all a 5 day continuous road trip by a van/mini bus cannot be taken by small kids. Just make sure the parents know this and are ready to break away and come back on their own if anyone in the group is not able to continue the journey in the van.

Last edited by Fillmore : 5th November 2010 at 23:07.
Fillmore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th November 2010, 01:39   #8
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fillmore View Post
If its a Tempo Traveler and 5 days , the kids are going to get very tired and might have car sickness (vomiting/fatigue).
All in all a 5 day continuous road trip by a van/mini bus cannot be taken by small kids. Just make sure the parents know this and are ready to break away and come back on their own if anyone in the group is not able to continue the journey in the van.
I too share similar sentiments.With old aged people and kids a 5-6 day trip with current road conditions,doesn't look so good. (with this tight schedule).
Else cut down some portion and concentrate on either KL+TN or KK+KL.
mykal shoemaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th November 2010, 08:06   #9
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fillmore View Post
+
Thanks your concern.
Its not a Tempo Traveler. There are some kind of mini bus type vehicles plying in this area mainly arranged for small parties etc and rest of the time it goes to school trip with children. I think they have 20 or 22 seats (2 seats each side with comfortable space). Also not many small kids in this group -may be 3 or 4 and all are in the age group above 5 years -only one girl at 5 years and other are around 8/10 years).
And inorder to stretch the comfortability, we are thinking to make the trip coverage in 6 days.!!
Old 6th November 2010, 08:30   #10
Senior - BHPian

Maybe you can add Palani too on D4, before Madurai.
The biggest challenge is accommodation - you have to decide in advance where you will get suitable rooms - either dorm type or individual rooms.
Old 6th November 2010, 09:34   #11
Senior - BHPian

Thanks @HVK
Your reply vide post No.6 -yes, thats a good idea to visit Suchindram on the evening i.e from KK(after sunset) to suchindram and back to KK. And then leave KK next day morning, immediately after sunrise and skip Padmanabhapuram palace. As such (and since early morning drive) we would be able to reach TVM by 9am or max 9.30am and straight away to Padmanabha swamy temple, and then to Attukal devi temple.
However, since am from TVM, they already asked me to provide place of interest in/around TVM. As such I have to mention the museum/zoo and if someone show interest to see the Zoo, then definitely we cannot make it the programme further on that day.
Also as mentioned by @mykal shoemaker, all are 55+ (young)age group(men), hence tight travelling may not be comfortable so in all probability we have to stay at TVM on the 5th day and proceed towards north on the 6th day.
I am planning tol prepare a chart and will show to the others enable finalise the schedule in advance (as of now the departure date is finaised as 3rd December).
Thanks.
Old 6th November 2010, 13:32   #12
Senior - BHPian

Check out, Trivandrum Zoo is closed 1 day of teh week (I think Monday).
Apart from Padmanabhaswamy and Attukal temples, you can also visit Veli where you can boat in the backwaters. Kovalam Beach may also be of some interest.
Old 6th November 2010, 15:04   #13
Senior - BHPian

Boating at Veli - may not be interested because most of us had done this boating at Nileswaram backwaters (Bakel Boat stay).
Kovalam beach is again 6/7 kms away from city, but we can go to shankummukham beach(near airport), but not sure if everyone wanted this beach sitting..
Yes the Zoo is closed for a day -will check on this.

We have to consider one important thing in between this tight schedule i.e Shopping. we have got 8/9 ladies in the gang and imagine how much time they will consume if all goes for shopping
Old 7th November 2010, 18:40   #14
Team-BHP Support

Point to note:

Bay of Bengal Coast is reeling under cyclone. Please check weather before heading towards the coast.

http://www.thehindu.com/news/national/article872724.ece

Last edited by ampere : 7th November 2010 at 18:41.
ampere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th November 2010, 08:17   #15
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
Point to note:

Bay of Bengal Coast is reeling under cyclone. Please check weather before heading towards the coast.

The Hindu : News / National : Cyclone disrupts normal life
+
This cyclonic effect will get over soon (already weekening as per reports)., and no adverse effect in kerala so far.!
In anycase we are planning to start the trip on 3rd december so present weather problem may not affect our plan.
Thanks