Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries

Old 1st June 2016, 18:08   #16
BHPian

Default Re: Rajasthan Trip Pune - Ahmedabad -Jaisalmer - Jodhpur - Ahmedabad - Pune

I am planning a ride (probably solo) to Jaisalmer this August. Proposed route is as follows.
Day 1 - Daman to Mehsana
Day 2 - Mehsana to Jaisalmer via Barmer
Day 3 - Cover Jaisalmer fort, Tanot, etc and travel to Jodhpur.
Day 4 - Visit Mehrangarh fort and travel to Ahmedabad
Day 5 - Ahmedabad to Daman

I had a few queries regarding this route.
1. I have heard rumours that the Palanpur - Barmer - Jaisalmer route has a danger of robbery and all. Is it true? Is it safe to traverse by Bike?
2. Does one require any special permissions to travel to Tanot or Longewala? If yes, where can they be obtained from?
3. I guess August will be good time to travel. Any suggestions?
srinitdas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd February 2017, 10:38   #17
BHPian

Default Re: Rajasthan Trip Pune - Ahmedabad -Jaisalmer - Jodhpur - Ahmedabad - Pune

Quote:
Originally Posted by srinitdas View Post
I am planning a ride (probably solo) to Jaisalmer this August. Proposed route is as follows.
Day 1 - Daman to Mehsana
Day 2 - Mehsana to Jaisalmer via Barmer
Day 3 - Cover Jaisalmer fort, Tanot, etc and travel to Jodhpur.
Day 4 - Visit Mehrangarh fort and travel to Ahmedabad
Day 5 - Ahmedabad to Daman

I had a few queries regarding this route.
1. I have heard rumours that the Palanpur - Barmer - Jaisalmer route has a danger of robbery and all. Is it true? Is it safe to traverse by Bike?
2. Does one require any special permissions to travel to Tanot or Longewala? If yes, where can they be obtained from?
3. I guess August will be good time to travel. Any suggestions?
Hi.
What's the update on this?
Shanmd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd February 2017, 15:40   #18
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shanmd View Post
Hi.
This trip never materialised. Instead, I had a wonderful trip of Chandigarh, Dharamshala and Dalhousie during that time. This trip is still pending and will probably happen this time around.

But from my other rider friends, it is not recommended to go through Barmer if going alone. I have been through the Jodhpur route previously and it is a wonderful stretch. Extremely well laid out roads with minimal traffic. Rajasthan is a wonderful place for road trips.
srinitdas is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 3rd February 2017, 17:58   #19
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by srinitdas View Post
This trip never materialised. Instead, I had a wonderful trip of Chandigarh, Dharamshala and Dalhousie during that time. This trip is still pending and will probably happen this time around.

But from my other rider friends, it is not recommended to go through Barmer if going alone. I have been through the Jodhpur route previously and it is a wonderful stretch. Extremely well laid out roads with minimal traffic. Rajasthan is a wonderful place for road trips.
Not recommended even during daylight hours?
Shanmd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th February 2017, 10:56   #20
BHPian

Quote:
Not recommended even during daylight hours?
As I have never been through that place myself, I cannot comment on it with absolute certainty. I try to be careful when it comes to solo riding. While it can be a lot of fun doing solo, doing so in sparsely populated areas has its own risks. It is a different thing in cars. You are a lot safer inside a car than a bike.

Quoting the chief (HVK) himself from a different thread (Link (Ahmedabad-jaisalmer-ahmedabad- Trip Logs)).
Quote:
Originally Posted by hvkumar View Post
Remains the same route.
Ahmedabad-Mehsana-Palanpur-Deesa-Sanchore-Barmer-Jaisalmer.
Excellent roads.
This is the update from May 2013. I don't think much could have changed since then.
srinitdas is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 6th February 2017, 20:01   #21
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Hi.
We did a long road trip in dec 2015 from Bangalore covering Rajasthan and Gujarat. We did come from Jaisalmer to Kutch. The roads in Rajasthan is excellent. No worries at all. It is a pleasure to drive. I don't think there is any security issue anywhere as we drove at night at many places.
Fauji is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 6th February 2017, 20:59   #22
BHPian

In Jul 16, I took delivery of my XUV W10 at around 5 from Punjab Auto in Ahmedabad and started driving to Delhi. Though I was not solo, and had wife and nephew to give me company, we drove through the night via udaipur route. The roads were well lit up whenever we came across an elevated road through a town, and these were aplenty all along. Though its probable not the same as the route in question for your travel, what I want to say is that Rajasthan is one of the safest states for road travel, no matter night or day.
SX4LOVER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th February 2017, 10:28   #23
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SX4LOVER View Post
In Jul 16, I took delivery of my XUV W10 at around 5 from Punjab Auto in Ahmedabad and started driving to Delhi. Though I was not solo, and had wife and nephew to give me company, we drove through the night via udaipur route. The roads were well lit up whenever we came across an elevated road through a town, and these were aplenty all along. Though its probable not the same as the route in question for your travel, what I want to say is that Rajasthan is one of the safest states for road travel, no matter night or day.
The Route in question here is the road that goes less than 50 km away from the International border and is very sparsely populated. This is quite different from the road you took. The NH-48 connects the Financial capital (Mumbai) to the Administrative capital (Delhi). No matter what time of the day, one will always find traffic and facilities along this way. This is probably the busiest National Highway in the country. The Route to Jaisalmer through Barmer is not as lively as NH-48.

While I completely agree that Rajasthan has one of the nicest road infrastructure, my caution is against traveling solo in extremely sparsely populated areas during night if one is not perfectly familiar with the place.
srinitdas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st March 2017, 11:13   #24
BHPian

Driving to Jaisalmer from Thane in last week of March.
Will be starting around 4:00am from Thane and planning to halt at Sanchore (~750kms) so that the next days ride is shorter.
Palanpur (650kms) is another option for night halt but that adds another 100 kms for the next days drive.
Had done Pune-Nagpur & Coorg-Kolhapur in 1 days drive earlier so feeling good about stretching till Sanchore.

Please suggest if Thane-Sanchore is feasible in 1 days drive with 4am early start from Thane. Also please suggest any places for night halt in Sanchore/Palanpur for family.
bigwheelz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st March 2017, 12:36   #25
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigwheelz View Post
Will be starting around 4:00am from Thane and planning to halt at Sanchore (~750kms) so that the next days ride is shorter.
Palanpur (650kms) is another option for night halt but that adds another 100 kms for the next days drive.
Had done Pune-Nagpur & Coorg-Kolhapur in 1 days drive earlier so feeling good about stretching till Sanchore.
Have been on this route for a couple of times, I do Pune - Palanpur in a day comfortably so I think Thane Sanchore is definitely doable in day. Make sure that you leave before 5 AM and you should be fine.
Engine_Roars is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 2nd March 2017, 06:41   #26
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigwheelz View Post

Please suggest if Thane-Sanchore is feasible in 1 days drive with 4am early start from Thane. Also please suggest any places for night halt in Sanchore/Palanpur for family.
I just did a Mumbai - Jaisalmer - Udaipur - Mumbai road trip last week so here are a few suggestions:
1. Thane to Sanchore : Possible - but only if you drive through the night. During daytime the entire NH48 from Vapi onwards and the route from Ahmedabad to Mehsana to Palanpur is full of unruly traffic which kills your average speeds and makes the drive extremely stressful.
2. We did Mumbai to Jaisalmer and it took us 21hrs with adequate breaks; BUT we drove thru the night which made a huge difference.
Let me know if you have any questions about the route.
nishantbhatia84 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 3rd March 2017, 16:18   #27
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Engine_Roars View Post
Have been on this route for a couple of times, I do Pune - Palanpur in a day comfortably so I think Thane Sanchore is definitely doable in day. Make sure that you leave before 5 AM and you should be fine.
Quote:
Originally Posted by nishantbhatia84 View Post
I just did a Mumbai - Jaisalmer - Udaipur - Mumbai road trip last week so here are a few suggestions:
1. Thane to Sanchore : Possible - but only if you drive through the night. During daytime the entire NH48 from Vapi onwards and the route from Ahmedabad to Mehsana to Palanpur is full of unruly traffic which kills your average speeds and makes the drive extremely stressful.
2. We did Mumbai to Jaisalmer and it took us 21hrs with adequate breaks; BUT we drove thru the night which made a huge difference.
Let me know if you have any questions about the route.
I live near Vapi and am interested in doing a Rajasthan trip one day, maybe this year or next. I was thinking of Vapi-Jaiselmer-Jodhpur-Udaipur-Vapi.
What is the route you suggest, especially while going to Jaiselmer. I will not be driving in the night and will take a halt.
jesrani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd March 2017, 18:26   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by jesrani View Post
I live near Vapi and am interested in doing a Rajasthan trip one day, maybe this year or next. I was thinking of Vapi-Jaiselmer-Jodhpur-Udaipur-Vapi.
What is the route you suggest, especially while going to Jaiselmer. I will not be driving in the night and will take a halt.
I recently completed a drive from bhilai to jaisalmer.

Jaisalmer to jodhpur via pokhran is a two laned road. Road widening is going on on 10% of the stretch.Rest 90% of the road is in excellent condition.There are three stretches of app. 1 km each after pokhran where road widening is going on and are in horrible condition.But rest of the stretch is in good condition and you can easily maintain average speeds of 70-80 Km/hr.

From jodhpur to Udaipur you have two options:-
1.Jodhpur-Pali-sanderao-Falna-Ranakpur-Jaswantgarh-Udaipur
2.Jodhpur-Pali-Sirohi-Pindawara-udaipur

I would suggest you to choose the 2nd option as this entire stretch is four-laned.
Option 1 will save you 40 kms but the part from sanderao to jaswantgarh is a narrow two laned road and will reduce your average speed considerably.

Hope the above given information helps you to plan your drive.
anupam084 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote