Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 14th November 2010, 15:28   #1
BHPian
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Hyderabad
Posts: 32
Thanked: 0 Times
Question Latest road conditions Hospet - Karwar - Mangalore - Hassan

Can anyone advise on the latest road conditions on route Hospet - Karwar - Mangalore - Hassan?

I have been reading some posts, especially in the "Travelling between Bangalore - Mangalore" forum that suggest that it is better to get to Hassan from Mangalore using NH 13 ( Beltangadi-Charmadi-Belur) rather than NH 48 (via Uppinangadi & Sakhleshpur).

Taking into account the latest road conditions, I would appreciate any advice re distance and road conditions. We will be driving an i20.
rs49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th November 2010, 18:29   #2
Senior - BHPian
 
hvkumar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 7,369
Thanked: 3,354 Times
Default

NH63 from Hospet for the first 25-30 kms is bad, but after that decent till Hubli.
From Hubli onwards till Ankola (NH17), NH63 is fantastic.
However, NH17 from Honavar onwards is a disaster at least till Baindur.
Your alternative is to go from Hospet via Kudligi to Harihar and then via Shimoga and Tirthahalli to Mangalore. However, Honnali-Shimoga is also not good.
hvkumar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th November 2010, 08:21   #3
BHPian
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Hyderabad
Posts: 32
Thanked: 0 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by hvkumar View Post
NH63 from Hospet for the first 25-30 kms is bad, but after that decent till Hubli.
From Hubli onwards till Ankola (NH17), NH63 is fantastic.
However, NH17 from Honavar onwards is a disaster at least till Baindur.
Your alternative is to go from Hospet via Kudligi to Harihar and then via Shimoga and Tirthahalli to Mangalore. However, Honnali-Shimoga is also not good.
Thank you, Mr Kumar. A bit relieved to hear that NH 63 is not a complete disaster! We plan to go to Karwar via Hubli and Yellapur.
Since we are quite set on doing the coastal road from Karwar to Mangalore, I guess there is no alternative but to budget extra time for the bad roads.

Thanks.
rs49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th November 2010, 10:37   #4
Team-BHP Support
 
ampere's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 15,596
Thanked: 8,573 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by rs49 View Post
Thank you, Mr Kumar. A bit relieved to hear that NH 63 is not a complete disaster! We plan to go to Karwar via Hubli and Yellapur.
Since we are quite set on doing the coastal road from Karwar to Mangalore, I guess there is no alternative but to budget extra time for the bad roads.

Thanks.
Hubli-Ankola NH63 is beautiful. NH63 from Hospet to Hubli is not all that great.
ampere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th November 2010, 13:11   #5
Senior - BHPian
 
sushrutha's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Chikmagalur/Ban
Posts: 1,702
Thanked: 324 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by hvkumar View Post
Shimoga and Tirthahalli to Mangalore. However, Honnali-Shimoga is also not good.
Yes Honnali- Shimoga is in bad condition, this is 4 days back update.
But from thereon(Shimoga - Theerthally- Kudremukha-Karkala - MLR) the route should be in good condition till Mangalore. I don't have a recent update on the same, coz it's been raining heavily in this part of area 15 days back.
sushrutha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th November 2010, 13:23   #6
Senior - BHPian
 
rjstyles69's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Bengalooru..
Posts: 4,345
Thanked: 789 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by sushrutha View Post
Yes Honnali- Shimoga is in bad condition, this is 4 days back update.
But from thereon(Shimoga - Theerthally- Kudremukha-Karkala - MLR) the route should be in good condition till Mangalore. I don't have a recent update on the same, coz it's been raining heavily in this part of area 15 days back.
Just did this route yesterday. Shimoga -- Thirtahalli--Kudremukh is in good shape. Just a few bad patches here and there. Have no idea beyond Kudremukh. That said try and avoid the Thirtahalli-Agumbe route , is a real back breaker at a few places.
rjstyles69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th November 2010, 16:02   #7
BHPian
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Hyderabad
Posts: 32
Thanked: 0 Times
Default

Thank you for all the inputs.

I do understand that we can reach Mangalore using the various routes suggested by all of you but we want to reach Karwar and drive along the coastral stretch to Mangalore.

From the map, I see that the route we have to follow is Hospet-Gadag-Hubli-Yellapur. From there, we can continue on NH 63 to Ankola and go north to Karwar. The second option is that ahead of Yellapur, we turn right at Idgundi and go straight to Karwar. The Eicher map atlas shows the road goes along the river Kalanadi but is a narrow one.

Any advice on which of the two routes is preferable?
rs49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th November 2010, 16:26   #8
Team-BHP Support
 
ampere's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 15,596
Thanked: 8,573 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by rs49 View Post
Thank you for all the inputs.

I do understand that we can reach Mangalore using the various routes suggested by all of you but we want to reach Karwar and drive along the coastral stretch to Mangalore.

From the map, I see that the route we have to follow is Hospet-Gadag-Hubli-Yellapur. From there, we can continue on NH 63 to Ankola and go north to Karwar. The second option is that ahead of Yellapur, we turn right at Idgundi and go straight to Karwar. The Eicher map atlas shows the road goes along the river Kalanadi but is a narrow one.

Any advice on which of the two routes is preferable?
Dont deviate anywhere on NH63 at Yellapur. Go all the way till Ankola and then North. Its only 30Km from Ankola.
ampere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th November 2010, 18:57   #9
Team-BHP Support
 
ampere's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 15,596
Thanked: 8,573 Times
Default

Just realized one more thing. Since you are going to Wellinton, there are landslides in and around Ooty. Mettupalam-Ooty road is closed due to landslides.
ampere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th November 2010, 15:14   #10
BHPian
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Hyderabad
Posts: 32
Thanked: 0 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
Dont deviate anywhere on NH63 at Yellapur. Go all the way till Ankola and then North. Its only 30Km from Ankola.

Thanks. Shall follow your advice. We'll go via Ankola. I wish someone would explore the other road - it looks scenic and inviting!
rs49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th May 2011, 16:24   #11
BHPian
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Pune
Posts: 31
Thanked: 3 Times
Default Re: Latest road conditions Hospet - Karwar - Mangalore - Hassan

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
Hubli-Ankola NH63 is beautiful. NH63 from Hospet to Hubli is not all that great.
Looking for updates regarding NH63 - the Ankola to Hubli stretch. Is this still great ? I plan to drive on on my way back from Mangalore to Pune.
godeepdive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th May 2011, 17:53   #12
Team-BHP Support
 
ampere's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 15,596
Thanked: 8,573 Times
Default Re: Latest road conditions Hospet - Karwar - Mangalore - Hassan

Yes that is the best option to cross NH17 to NH4. It still is in good shape.
ampere is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 9th May 2011, 19:33   #13
Senior - BHPian
 
ranjitp1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Hyderabad
Posts: 3,610
Thanked: 1,719 Times
Default Re: Latest road conditions Hospet - Karwar - Mangalore - Hassan

NH63 Ankola-Hubli is in excellent shape,did the route last month.Good petrol pumps are few on this stretch,there in one BP pump around 7kms from Ankola,after that no real good pumps till Hubli,so make sure you have enough petrol.
ranjitp1 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 9th May 2011, 19:42   #14
Senior - BHPian
 
spadix's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Gurgaon
Posts: 1,018
Thanked: 185 Times
Default Re: Latest road conditions Hospet - Karwar - Mangalore - Hassan

I did NH63 from Ankola to Gadag exactly 12 days back. The road is in very good condition - esp. Ankola to Hubli.

From Hubli to Gadag is also good now. You can make out a lot of patches where they probably fixed potholes and ditches but the road isn't very rough. No surprise potholes/ditches and you can easily maintain 90+ kmph cruise speeds, traffic permitting.

Regards,
spadix
spadix is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 30th November 2011, 09:14   #15
BHPian
 
jkrishnakj's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 518
Thanked: 312 Times
Default Re: Latest road conditions Hospet - Karwar - Mangalore - Hassan

Hi All,

Sorry to be bumping an old thread, I couldnt locate anything else where i could post my query.

I will be driving to Karwar on the 28th of December. Can people familiar with this area please advice the right route to go there ?

Would this be
Bangalore - Tumkur - Davangere - Hubli - Karwar ?

I have booked a resort (Sterling Holidays - Karwar) for the 28th and 29th. Are there places closer to Karwar that we can explore ? One plan was to also visit Jog falls.

I also need to plan for a one night Acco at some place depending on other interesting areas to visit around Karwar. At this juncture, i must thank Aryasanyal and SVB for their travelogues, quite helpful indeed.


Look forward to suggestions.
jkrishnakj is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Travelogue: Bangalore-Hospet (Hampi)-Badami-Pattadakkal-Aihole-Hospet Mnjdnght Travelogues 3 22nd November 2012 16:19
Road Update - Mumbai to Karwar, Karwar to Visakhapatnam (Vizag via Hyderabad) nvldvr Route / Travel Queries 1 9th May 2011 16:10
Latest update Karwar-Mangalore rs49 Route / Travel Queries 5 28th November 2010 01:30
Latest road conditions - Hyd-Raichur-Hospet rs49 Route / Travel Queries 3 26th November 2010 20:52
Latest update Hospet-Karwar via Hubli rs49 Route / Travel Queries 0 25th November 2010 14:08


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 13:55.

Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks