Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries

Old 25th November 2010, 00:06   #1
BHPian

Default Toll ahead - 1.25 km. Why? And more...

Signboards:

- Does anyone know why is that Green board on the NHs just before a toll plaza say something like "User Fee: 1.25 km" in most places? Why 1.25 km? Why not an integer?
- Does anyone remember seeing other km numbers before approaching a Toll plaza?
- There are so many other instructions on those green boards. Has anyone read those? Wifey reads for the fee to be paid, gets ready with the change for a quick pit-stop.
- I have seen complicated boards, curves, straight-lines, dotted-lines - font 8 (exaggerating! but seriously not readable when going at a good speed) to help people to get to their destinations. Somewhere in KA (Bangalore/Mysore.) Where was it?
- Also, an other time it was written Tirupati -> on a board which might be a little bigger than a A4 size paper

Snaps/descriptions of interesting road signs you have seen/clicked (not from the net, please) could make this thread interesting. Contribute your piece/observations.

Last edited by jeevmenon : 25th November 2010 at 00:09.
jeevmenon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th November 2010, 02:08   #2
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeevmenon View Post
- I have seen complicated boards, curves, straight-lines, dotted-lines - font 8 (exaggerating! but seriously not readable when going at a good speed) to help people to get to their destinations. Somewhere in KA (Bangalore/Mysore.) Where was it?
Hmm, similar one in Ranipet. There is a board marking the direction for Chitoor once you cross the toll. The right below the bridge takes you through ranipet town, chitoor and reaches Bangy [NH4].

And NH46 leads straight. Unless you already know, you cant make it. By the time you read the board you will after the bridge
mjothi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th November 2010, 07:54   #3
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Why 1.25 km? Why not an integer?
Distance good enough to get off the acclerator and cruise gently to the toll booth - and stop without having to use brakes much.

Last edited by condor : 25th November 2010 at 07:56.
condor is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 25th November 2010, 08:04   #4
Senior - BHPian

Not sure, but I'm assuming there's some factor associated with human brain processing, speed, etc. I've seen more of 500 mts etc.

May be the 0.25 is added to those guys to capture their attention, so that, they look into the board atleast out of curiosity.
aargee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th November 2010, 11:46   #5
Senior - BHPian

Also, sometimes, they can see traffic Jam, a signboard may help them understand that it could be due to the toll booth.

At Other places, to be ready with cash and if they want to take a break (as toll booths are one of the safest places to park your car), one can plan accordingly.
tanwaramit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th November 2010, 11:32   #6
BHPian

Other stuffs written on the boards are mainly:

The list of people who are exempted from toll.
Rules /charges for local passengers.
Monthly pass related info etc.

eg:
Attached Images

mykal shoemaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th November 2010, 15:06   #7
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Signboards:

Snaps/descriptions of interesting road signs you have seen/clicked (not from the net, please) could make this thread interesting. Contribute your piece/observations.
If there is one person in India I'd like to meet, it is the chap at NHAI (I guess) who writes those one-liners that promote safe driving and are littered along the highways. Sample this:

"If you are married, divorce speed"

Sheer poetry, no less.

Binand [who started noticing these on a recent Bangalore-Chennai drive]
binand is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 26th November 2010, 22:00   #8
BHPian

Quote:
Signboards:

- Does anyone know why is that Green board on the NHs just before a toll plaza say something like "User Fee: 1.25 km" in most places? Why 1.25 km? Why not an integer?
Maybe because that is the spot with maximum visibility for vehicles. I dont think this is standard as I've seen various distances at every other place. So I'm assuming this could be the logic(If it were so??!!).
luvurride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th November 2010, 11:24   #9
Distinguished - BHPian

The signage that leaves me puzzled are the milestones/boards which show the distance to my destination to be increasing, as I travel towards it.

Common at many places and last noticed during the car trip I did to Palghat with friends - we would reach a town and it will have a milestone/board saying "XXX-place 35kms". We drive past this towards XXX-place and the next one would have it as "XXX-place 36kms".
supremeBaleno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th November 2010, 15:00   #10
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
"User Fee: 1.25 km" in most places? Why 1.25 km? Why not an integer?
My logic...
I think it adds to more visibility.
1.25Km can be easily read & understood.
If just 1km was mentioned probably u may missout the number 1 in that signboard or if 1.5kms was mentioned some may get confused with 15kms...
May be...for better understading and better visibility
sushrutha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th November 2010, 17:06   #11
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Signboards:

- There are so many other instructions on those green boards. Has anyone read those? Wifey reads for the fee to be paid, gets ready with the change for a quick pit-stop.
- Also, an other time it was written Tirupati -> on a board which might be a little bigger than a A4 size paper

Most of the highways I have been on, I've seen sign-boards like "Toll booth : 1.5km" and then decreasing by 500m.

Just a random thought, about the 1.25km, probably the 250m would be the area with a lotta speedbreakers just before the booth.. so thats how they arrived at 1km+250m=1.25km (guessing here!)..

Mostly, the sign-boards show
1) class of vehicles exempted from toll. Also, the Motor Vehicles Act which empowers them to collect Toll
2) list of toll charges

1) and 2) in English and the regional languages..

Interesting fact : Many years ago (a few after the Mumbai-Pune expressway was commissioned), some people protested against the many green coloured radium sign-boards scattered generously over the Expressway because they were a major distraction for the drivers. Nothing came of it though.
libranof1987 is offline   Reply With Quote