Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 14th July 2013, 17:34   #91
Team-BHP Support
 
ampere's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 15,605
Thanked: 8,600 Times
Default Re: Chennai to Munnar - Road Trip : Route Info Needed

Quote:
Originally Posted by hypermiler View Post
Any updates on the route this year? I am planning for a trip from Chennai to Munnar via Tiruchy.
The basic part of the route remains the same. No changes in road conditions.

Chennai-GST-Trichy-Dindigul-Theni-Bodi-Munnar. Till Dindigul its 4-lane all the way. Dindigul-Theni is good now. Most works completed.

Beyond Theni, where you hit the ghats, conditions keep changing.
ampere is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 15th July 2013, 11:53   #92
Senior - BHPian
 
Blue Thunder's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Right here .
Posts: 1,632
Thanked: 330 Times
Arrow Re: Chennai to Munnar - Road Trip : Route Info Needed

Quote:
Originally Posted by hypermiler View Post
Any updates on the route this year? I am planning for a trip from Chennai to Munnar via Tiruchy.
We had been there during weekend of June 01.

In case you dont know, you need to follow the directions for Kodaikanal, for exiting from the Dindigul byepass (to Theni).

Dindigul-Theni --> mostly complete. Watch out for those places where the new road meets old road stretches. There will be a big difference in height. Dangerous if you are doing by night, also the roads were quite new, so no lane markings and any other kind of reflectors. Daytime driving advised.

Bodi-Bodimetu ghat stretch --> some road repairs going on, dont know if it would have finished by now. Roads were bad at the construction spots.

Very good after crossing into Kerala, but the catch being...you need to watch out for very fast-moving 'local' vehicles at curves.
Blue Thunder is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 10th September 2013, 11:13   #93
Newbie
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Chennai
Posts: 2
Thanked: 0 Times
Exclamation sathishanand7@gmail.com

Moderator note: Please use Search to find a relevant thread and continue in it, before opening a new thread. Thanks.

Hi folks, Am planning a trip from Chennai to Munnar(Club Mahindra). I'm taking the Chennai - Ulundurpet - Trichy - Dindugul - Theni - Munnar route. I know the roads are great till Dindugul. Any news on the road conditions from Dindigul to Theni? I also heard that the Theni - Bodinaikanur - Ghat road to Munnar is closed during the day for relaying & therefore one has to take the Theni - Cumbam - Cumbamettu - Poopara - Chinakalal route. Is this true? Any idea as to how is the road conditions?

Would appreciate your feedback. Thanks a ton.

Warm Regards
Sathish

Last edited by Jaggu : 10th September 2013 at 11:22.
sathishanand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th September 2013, 13:44   #94
Newbie
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Chennai
Posts: 2
Thanked: 0 Times
Default Re: Chennai to Munnar - Road Trip : Route Info Needed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Thunder View Post
We had been there during weekend of June 01.

In case you dont know, you need to follow the directions for Kodaikanal, for exiting from the Dindigul byepass (to Theni).

Dindigul-Theni --> mostly complete. Watch out for those places where the new road meets old road stretches. There will be a big difference in height. Dangerous if you are doing by night, also the roads were quite new, so no lane markings and any other kind of reflectors. Daytime driving advised.

Bodi-Bodimetu ghat stretch --> some road repairs going on, dont know if it would have finished by now. Roads were bad at the construction spots.

Very good after crossing into Kerala, but the catch being...you need to watch out for very fast-moving 'local' vehicles at curves.


Am planning a trip from Chennai to Munnar(Club Mahindra). I'm taking the Chennai - Ulundurpet - Trichy - Dindugul - Theni - Munnar route. I know the roads are great till Dindugul. Any news on the road conditions from Dindigul to Theni? I also heard that the Theni - Bodinaikanur - Ghat road to Munnar is closed during the day for relaying & therefore one has to take the Theni - Cumbam - Cumbamettu - Poopara - Chinakalal route. Is this true? Any idea as to how is the road conditions?

Would appreciate your feedback. Thanks a ton.
sathishanand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th October 2013, 07:35   #95
BHPian
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Chennai
Posts: 41
Thanked: 11 Times
Default

We drove down from Chennai to Club Mahindra, Munnar yesterday. Till Theni, the road was pretty good. Since the road via Bodi is closed for construction, the Club Mahindra guys had sent a mail asking us to take Kambam -Kambamettu - nedungadam - Poopara route.

Kambam to Kambamettu route has 18 hairpin bends and the road is in pretty bad shape and narrow too. This condition continues till Nedumakadam. After that, we take the Kumizhy-Munnar highway and that road quite good.

It took me total of 3.5 hours from Theni, around 2 hours more than the Bodi route.
Rammee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th December 2013, 12:09   #96
BHPian
 
vu2pmc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Kozhikode
Posts: 93
Thanked: 32 Times
Default GPS track log of road from Amaravathi Dam to Palani

Hi,

Will anyone have the GPS track log of the road that connects Amaravathi Dam near to Chinnar Wildlife Sanctuary entrance, to Periyampettai near Palani.

I need to ride from Munnar to Palani with out touching Udumalpet. I can turn right at Indira Gandhi Wild life sanctuary exit, as I come from Munnar towards Udumalpet, cross Amaravathi Dam, Crocodile park, come to Periyampettai, turn right at that village, and join the highway from Udumalpet to Palani.

Can someone post the track log if they have one please?
vu2pmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th December 2013, 13:09   #97
BHPian
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Chennai
Posts: 286
Thanked: 152 Times
Default Re: Chennai to Munnar - Road Trip : Route Info Needed

Any updates on the road conditions between theni-munnar? is it wise to go through kambam or come through pollachi from chennai?
klassics45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th January 2014, 09:42   #98
BHPian
 
Gokrish's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Chennai and AR
Posts: 289
Thanked: 157 Times
Default Re: Chennai to Munnar - Road Trip : Route Info Needed

Hello BHP-ians!

Any update on the Theni-Munnar route as I am planning for trip during this week end and accommodation is at Club Mahindra.

I will be starting at 3 am from Chennai and would like to take Chennai-Tindivanam-Ulundurpet-Trichy-Dindugal-Theni-NH 49. Is the construction work on NH 49 over or are we supposed to take cumbummettu route?
Gokrish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th January 2014, 17:03   #99
BHPian
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 356
Thanked: 12 Times
Default Re: Chennai to Munnar - Road Trip : Route Info Needed

if any update on this route please share as i am planning to use the theni-munnar route in the next week.

thanks.
madhukar_n is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10th January 2014, 18:28   #100
BHPian
 
Gokrish's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Chennai and AR
Posts: 289
Thanked: 157 Times
Default Re: Chennai to Munnar - Road Trip : Route Info Needed

Quote:
Originally Posted by madhukar_n View Post
if any update on this route please share as i am planning to use the theni-munnar route in the next week.

thanks.
Hello Madhukar! I am doing this route tomorrow. However, I was informed by Club Mahindra that this route (NH 49) is open now. Will updated once I do the route.
Gokrish is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 13th January 2014, 19:15   #101
BHPian
 
Gokrish's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Chennai and AR
Posts: 289
Thanked: 157 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gokrish View Post

Hello Madhukar! I am doing this route tomorrow. However, I was informed by Club Mahindra that this route (NH 49) is open now. Will updated once I do the route.
Just a follow up to the above thread. The route between Theni and Munnar is open now. But the condition of the road or absence of it, will really test your nerves. Unless you are from down south of Tamil Nadu, it is better to stick to Udumalpet route. The road after Bodimettu check post is really pathetic with pot holes and worst of all left over boulders at most places due to ongoing road widening work. Though Udumalpet route might result in additional 40 km or so from Chennai, it is still better because of good tarmac and best of all, it is open 24 hours now.
Gokrish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th January 2014, 22:23   #102
BHPian
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 356
Thanked: 12 Times
Default Re: Chennai to Munnar - Road Trip : Route Info Needed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gokrish View Post
Just a follow up to the above thread. The route between Theni and Munnar is open now. But the condition of the road or absence of it, will really test your nerves. Unless you are from down south of Tamil Nadu, it is better to stick to Udumalpet route. The road after Bodimettu check post is really pathetic with pot holes and worst of all left over boulders at most places due to ongoing road widening work. Though Udumalpet route might result in additional 40 km or so from Chennai, it is still better because of good tarmac and best of all, it is open 24 hours now.
Thanks buddy for the prompt update. I had almost decided to take the theni-munnar route. i am actually going from bangalore. but thought of going by this route because i have booked at sterling resort(next to club mahindra i suppose) which comes 20-25 kms before munnar. so will need to add those 25 kms if i come from udumalpet.
so now will take the udumalpet-marayoor route.
thanks again.
madhukar_n is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 14th January 2014, 05:50   #103
BHPian
 
Gokrish's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Chennai and AR
Posts: 289
Thanked: 157 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by madhukar_n View Post

Thanks buddy for the prompt update. I had almost decided to take the theni-munnar route. i am actually going from bangalore. but thought of going by this route because i have booked at sterling resort(next to club mahindra i suppose) which comes 20-25 kms before munnar. so will need to add those 25 kms if i come from udumalpet.
so now will take the udumalpet-marayoor route.
thanks again.
Nope. Sterling resort is on Udumalpet-Munnar route almost 10 km before Munnar town at a place called chinnakanal. Thus you save 10 km by taking this route. Mahindra is on theni-munnar route almost 20 km before munnar and that was one of the reasons, I took this route for onward journey.
Gokrish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th May 2014, 19:06   #104
BHPian
 
DRIVE_ADDICT's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 409
Thanked: 180 Times
Default Re: Chennai to Munnar - Road Trip : Route Info Needed

Guys need your inputs, We are planning for a trip this week Chennai-CBE-Palani-Munnar-Chennai.

Day-1.
Chennai to CBE and stay at CBE (Sis's house)

Day-2
CBE to Palani, early morning drive and plan to complete darshan before 12.00 and head to Munnar via udumalpet, Marayoor route.

Day-3
Munnar sight seeing

Day-4
Return to Chennai via Theni-Dindugal-Trichy or back to CBE and then to Chennai.

Howz this section of road (Udumalpet, Marayoor, Munnar)?, If i start at 12.00 pm or in worst case 1.00 pm from Palani, Whether i can reach Munnar before dusk?

Im taking a low GC car, will there be any issue in taking up any of the above route?
DRIVE_ADDICT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th May 2014, 19:09   #105
Senior - BHPian
 
hvkumar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 7,369
Thanked: 3,354 Times
Default Re: Chennai to Munnar - Road Trip : Route Info Needed

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRIVE_ADDICT View Post
Guys need your inputs, We are planning for a trip this week Chennai-CBE-Palani-Munnar-Chennai.

Day-1.
Chennai to CBE and stay at CBE (Sis's house)

Day-2
CBE to Palani, early morning drive and plan to complete darshan before 12.00 and head to Munnar via udumalpet, Marayoor route.

Day-3
Munnar sight seeing

Day-4
Return to Chennai via Theni-Dindugal-Trichy or back to CBE and then to Chennai.

Howz this section of road (Udumalpet, Marayoor, Munnar)?, If i start at 12.00 pm or in worst case 1.00 pm from Palani, Whether i can reach Munnar before dusk?

Im taking a low GC car, will there be any issue in taking up any of the above route?
Budget for 4 hours from Palani to Munnar via Udumalaipet & Marayoor. Animal crossings mostly after sun down since the summer heat will keep them away in the shade. Road OK any time.
hvkumar is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Chennai - Rameswaram - Munnar - Kozhikode route query Shanmd Route / Travel Queries 4 24th August 2015 20:35
Chennai to Goa - Road Trip : Route Info Needed roadracer Route / Travel Queries 80 19th December 2014 22:44
Chennai - Theni - Munnar - Dharmapuri - Chennai Round Trip Marlon Travelogues 18 9th March 2012 10:38
Chennai- Munnar- Guruvayoor- Route + Planning Advice CrAzY dRiVeR Route / Travel Queries 21 12th February 2011 10:57
Route Info Req : Chennai-Angadipuram-Udipi-Moogambigai-Mysore-Chamundi Hills-Chennai aargee Route / Travel Queries 72 13th August 2010 13:14


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 12:21.

Copyright 2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks