Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries

Old 21st December 2010, 18:09   #31
BHPian

Default Re: Bombay-Uttarakhand-Delhi-Bombay in the Red Baron

>>>

Route update for the third leg:

1. Manesar -Moradabad bypass -Rampur-Kathgodam-Bhowali-Ranikhet is 427 kms
2. Manesar-Moradabad bypass-Kashipur-Ramnagar-Kaladhungi-Kathgodam-Bhowali-Ranikhet is 471 kms
3.Manesar-Moradabad bypass-Kashipur-Ramnagar-Mohan-Ranikhet is 422 kms

I am veering toward Route #1. Still some time to decide. I start on my north drive on the 24th.

Regards, drive safe
issigonis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd December 2010, 13:10   #32
BHPian

I am all set for the trip. Delhi - Ranikhet - Delhi leaving on 24th late night/25th early morning.

Car - check
engine oil - topped-up
all oils - check
coolant - check
fuel tank - full
tyre pressure - check
spare tyre - check

Now what about the route?

I just spoke to a friend who came back from corbett few weeks ago. He said the road was being relaid and there is a good chance that the Tanda-Darhiyal-Bazpur road may have also been repaired by now.

What to do? At this moment, I am leaning towards this route:

Moradabad bypass - Thakurdwara - Kashipur - Ramnagar - Kaladhungi - Haldwani - Kathgodam - Bhowali - Ranikhet

Last edited by nkapoor777 : 23rd December 2010 at 13:16.
nkapoor777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd December 2010, 14:02   #33
BHPian

Another quick update:

Just spoke to the hotel staff. He seemed quite well informed and mentioned that the Tanda-Bazpur route should be avoided since the repair work hasn't been completed yet. He said either of the two routes below are fine:

1. Moradabad bypass - Rampur - Rudrapur - Haldwani - Kathgodam - Bhowali - Ranikhet.
2. Moradabad bypass - Thakurdwara - Kashipur - Ramnagar - Mohan - Bhatroachkhan - Ranikhet
Old 23rd December 2010, 14:07   #34
Senior - BHPian

You are starting very early in the morning right? That means you will cross Moradabad before the rush starts? If thats true then my suggestion will always be the route via Ramnagar.

Its much more scenic and lesser traffic, and I love scenic drives.
deky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd December 2010, 19:15   #35
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nkapoor777 View Post
Another quick update:

Just spoke to the hotel staff. He seemed quite well informed and mentioned that the Tanda-Bazpur route should be avoided since the repair work hasn't been completed yet. He said either of the two routes below are fine:

1. Moradabad bypass - Rampur - Rudrapur - Haldwani - Kathgodam - Bhowali - Ranikhet.
2. Moradabad bypass - Thakurdwara - Kashipur - Ramnagar - Mohan - Bhatroachkhan - Ranikhet
>>>

Nitin,
I am leaving Bombay tomorrow 24th at 6 am. Do message me if you require any inputs or if you have important infor. re. route conditions.

By the way, I had another session with HVK yesterday, and I might just tilt toward the following route :

Moradabad bypass - Kashipur-Ramnagar-Kaladhungi (past Corbett Falls)-Haldwani-Kathgodam. Although it is a longer route, the road is flat and smooth. HVK thinks I can make rapid progress. The other point is that one can avoid the lorry traffic in the Rudrapur-Pantnagar section.

As I am coming from Ranikhet to Corbett on my way back from Ranikhet ( via Bhatronjkhan - Mohan), I will most likely not take this route on the way up.

Will try to meet lightinin95 in Baroda at the Plazio food court and deky on the Jaipur bypass (if convenient to him).

Let the wheels roll.

Regards, drive safe
issigonis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd December 2010, 22:26   #36
BHPian

Update: Just had a chat with a family friend who is a native of Ranikhet (how come I didn't remember this earlier) and returned just last week from there.

He suggested that the best route is Moradabad - Rampur - Rudrapur - Haldwani - Kathgodam - Bhowali - Ranikhet.

Now, I have been to this route so many times, that I desperately want to explore a different option this time.

As stated earlier, Tanda - Bazpur route is a strict NO-NO.

I am looking to take this route now:

Moradabad - Thakurdwara - Kashipur - Ramnagar - Kaladhungi - Nainital (via Jogura) - Bhowali - Ranikhet

This one is a slight variation from your route since I do not go all the way to Haldwani before joining NH-87 (works out shorter as well). Confirmed reports say the road between Kaladhungi and Nainital is fine.

I will keep you posted on the route (feel free to call; you have my number). Can you suggest places to take a break and eateries on the route till Ramnagar?

Quote:
Originally Posted by issigonis View Post
>>>

Nitin,
I am leaving Bombay tomorrow 24th at 6 am. Do message me if you require any inputs or if you have important infor. re. route conditions.

By the way, I had another session with HVK yesterday, and I might just tilt toward the following route :

Moradabad bypass - Kashipur-Ramnagar-Kaladhungi (past Corbett Falls)-Haldwani-Kathgodam. Although it is a longer route, the road is flat and smooth. HVK thinks I can make rapid progress. The other point is that one can avoid the lorry traffic in the Rudrapur-Pantnagar section.

As I am coming from Ranikhet to Corbett on my way back from Ranikhet ( via Bhatronjkhan - Mohan), I will most likely not take this route on the way up.

Will try to meet lightinin95 in Baroda at the Plazio food court and deky on the Jaipur bypass (if convenient to him).

Let the wheels roll.

Regards, drive safe

Last edited by nkapoor777 : 23rd December 2010 at 22:28.
Old 23rd December 2010, 22:35   #37
Senior - BHPian

I do hope fog will not play spoil-sport on your route.
hvkumar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd December 2010, 22:50   #38
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hvkumar View Post
I do hope fog will not play spoil-sport on your route.
That is what I am hoping as well. Any suggestions for places to eat on this route around Ramnagar?

Another small change in itinerary: I plan to start at 4 AM from South Delhi and hope to cross Hapur around the time daylight takes effect. Thanks SS-Traveller for the tip.

Last edited by nkapoor777 : 23rd December 2010 at 22:52.
Old 24th December 2010, 22:22   #39
Senior - BHPian

Spoke to Issigonis at 1830 hrs. He was having Tea at Hotel landmark in Himmatnagar. Trust he should have reached Udaipur by now. I am unable to trace him on latitude, if any one of you is tracing him do provide an update.
khoj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th December 2010, 10:12   #40
Senior - BHPian

@Khoj: As of 1000hrs today he had crossed Chittor. So should be crossing Jaipur by 1400hrs.
Old 25th December 2010, 10:56   #41
Senior - BHPian

NH8 from Bombay to Vapi is terribly congested and everyone is seeing his timings go for a toss on this sector. A friend took 11 hours to reach Baroda and issigonis also appears to have struggled in this sector too, taking almost 10 hours or so.

He appears to be making up for yesterday's loss of time by doing some super-fast times on RJ roads and I can see he has crossed Bhilwara now.

I guess the Gujjar agitation is no more a threat on NH8 at Kotputli?
Old 25th December 2010, 13:27   #42
Senior - BHPian

Just spoke to him and he is at Hotel Panghat (Kishangarh) for lunch. I dont see him reaching Manesar before 1800 hrs as the trucks would have started moving towards Delhi now.

As of yesterday the Gujars blocked Rail traffic on Delhi- Jaipur and Delhi- Mumbai rail route. They also created trouble by blocking traffic somewhere near Ajmer NH8 for 6 hrs yesterday. Jaipur- Agra highway was blocked for an hour or so but was quickly cleared by the police. Luckily Kotputli was spared yesterday and the traffic was normal.

Its a quid pro quo situation at the moment, the impasse continues. No idea as to which side the scales will tilt.

Lots of cancellations are coming in Hotels, so those who are travelling can actually ask for discounts now

Last edited by deky : 25th December 2010 at 13:31.
Old 25th December 2010, 14:28   #43
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
NH8 from Bombay to Vapi is terribly congested and everyone is seeing his timings go for a toss on this sector.
hvkumar, is there a specific reason behind this. Is it due to a simple increase in truck traffic or is the 6 laning work now being taken up with more gusto?

Quote:
I guess the Gujjar agitation is no more a threat on NH8 at Kotputli?
Quote:
Originally Posted by deky View Post
As of yesterday the Gujars blocked Rail traffic on Delhi- Jaipur and Delhi- Mumbai rail route. They also created trouble by blocking traffic somewhere near Ajmer NH8 for 6 hrs yesterday. Jaipur- Agra highway was blocked for an hour or so but was quickly cleared by the police. Luckily Kotputli was spared yesterday and the traffic was normal.
This is disturbing and like clockwork just before my drive back to Bombay. I thought the agitation was restricted to the Bharatpur area this time around. Maybe this is the reason I needed to change my route

Quote:
Originally Posted by deky View Post
Just spoke to him and he is at Hotel Panghat (Kishangarh) for lunch. I dont see him reaching Manesar before 1800 hrs as the trucks would have started moving towards Delhi now.
deky, what is a good time to start from Jaipur so as to encounter the least amount of truck traffic. On my last run I had to get on to the interior roads and field embankments at Kotputli to get out of a Jam.
Old 25th December 2010, 17:05   #44
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by khoj View Post
hvkumar, is there a specific reason behind this. Is it due to a simple increase in truck traffic or is the 6 laning work now being taken up with more gusto?

I think there is simply too much of traffic!
Almost all of it is truck traffic, and the 4-laned road is simply not enough,
The first toll gate on NH8 after leaving Bombay, at Vasai, is very badly managed and see traffic pile-ups.
After Vapi, the road widening work slows down the traffic.
Another time-waster is the River Narmada bridge between Ankleshwar and Bharuch, one of which seems to be perpetually under repair.
Old 25th December 2010, 17:15   #45
Senior - BHPian

Yes the Vasai gate is a complete mess as is the river crossing.

Is there an alternate to the Narmada bridge? I am discounting the old iron bridge and thinking about going towards Walia or Jhagadia and crossing the Narmada at a less crowded location and then rejoining the NH 8 near Baroda or if possible proceed directly towards Udaipur etc.