Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries

Old 8th December 2010, 12:06   #1

Default Mumbai-Madikeri

I (2 adults+2 children) am planning to drive from Mumbai-Madikeri on 16th December and wanted to know the shortest route - which is a better option via Goa or Pune. If I take the GQ do I have to go via Bangalore or is there a shorter cut before Bangalore and how is the state of that road.

I understand that the route from Mangalore-Madikeri is not so good and some people are saying to go via Bangalore-Mysore.
Panzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th December 2010, 14:09   #2
BHPian

Default Re: Mumbai-Madikeri

The route is pretty simple Mumbai-Pune-Bangalore NH4, get on to Bangalore-Mysore-Madeikeri. SH17, Roads are all good, you need to get onto NICE Road here (13.056862,77.474041 in case u'r carrying a GPS) before you enter Bangalore City and get out of NICE Road here (12.90619,77.469406). Almost all of the road is in good condition, a couple of railway crossings on NH4 is under construction.

This would be the shortest route in terms of time spent.

Hope the info helps.
kartikk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th December 2010, 14:33   #3
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Panzer View Post
I (2 adults+2 children) am planning to drive from Mumbai-Madikeri on 16th December and wanted to know the shortest route - which is a better option via Goa or Pune. If I take the GQ do I have to go via Bangalore or is there a shorter cut before Bangalore and how is the state of that road.

I understand that the route from Mangalore-Madikeri is not so good and some people are saying to go via Bangalore-Mysore.
No need to go to Bangalore,that would be a real circuitous route for you.

Refer to this thread and the routes are discussed extensively on this.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/route-...san-coorg.html

The route would be:

Mumbai-Hubli-Chitradurga-Leave NH4-Bhadravati

Bhadravati-Tarikere-Lingadahalli-Chikmagalur-Belur-Hassan (this has ghat sections,but very scenic and good roads)
OR
Bhadravati-Tarikere-Arsikere-Dudda-Hassan(Expect some small bad sections)

Hassan-Gorur-Arkalgud-Mallipatna-Shanivarsante-Somwarpet-Madikeri

You should be able to make it to Madikeri by nightfall with an early morning start from Mumbai,but be sure to factor in fog conditions towards the ghats and near the Coorg region as winters have set in.

The other way would be to drive till Hassan on day 1.Day 2 leave for Madikeri after breakfast,and you would be in Madikeri for an early lunch.
ranjitp1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th December 2010, 15:51   #4
Senior - BHPian

One advantage of going through Bangalore is that after the NICE Road has been commissioned, you do not ha veto enter Bangalore city and the new Elevated Road from Nelamangala also makes the 12 kms to the NICE Road an easier drive. Besides, you have the advantage of 4-laned roads all the way. An aggressive driver can reach Madikeri the same day too! From Mysore, the roads to Madikeri are also very good.

There are some other short cuts besides the Chitradurga route pointed out by ranjitp1. I am not sure how good or bad the NH13 is from Chitradurga via Hollakere and Channagiri, sometimes it may not be good. One option would be to turn off NH4 at Harihar and go via Honnali and Shimoga to Bhadravati, although the Honnali-Shimoga road is bad. Another option would be to go on NH4 beyond Chitradurga to Hiriyur and then take the Huliyar-Bellur Cross-Nagamangala-Srirangapatna route to Mysore.
hvkumar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th December 2010, 22:08   #5
Team-BHP Support

The Hassan option is definitely worth considering as its shorter by at least 200Km. Need to weight the distance against road status/conditions.
ampere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th December 2010, 16:45   #6

Many thanks for the advice. It is a toss up between the Bangalore or Hasan routes. Normally, I do not drive after sunset on 2 lane highways as the opposite high beam headlights blind me and on 4 lane highways I normally keep the speed at 100 km/hr. Although the Bangalore route is longer by 200 kms, given my driving speed would the time taken via Bangalore route be shorter as compared to the Hasan route?
From Madikeri I plan to drive to Udupi but I understand that the Madikeri-Mangalore road is closed on account of extensive repairs - any alternative routes available?
Old 9th December 2010, 18:10   #7
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Panzer View Post
Many thanks for the advice. It is a toss up between the Bangalore or Hasan routes. Normally, I do not drive after sunset on 2 lane highways as the opposite high beam headlights blind me and on 4 lane highways I normally keep the speed at 100 km/hr. Although the Bangalore route is longer by 200 kms, given my driving speed would the time taken via Bangalore route be shorter as compared to the Hasan route?
From Madikeri I plan to drive to Udupi but I understand that the Madikeri-Mangalore road is closed on account of extensive repairs - any alternative routes available?
Just saw in the Mangalore thread that HVK mentioned one lane on the Sulya road is open.
ampere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th December 2010, 19:16   #8

I just returned from my road trip. I decided to stick with Mumbai-Bangalore (via Nice road)-Mysore-Madikeri and I was very impressed. Left Mumbai at 6:30am, had a breakfast halt at MacDonalds, lunch at Hotel Opal (awesome mutton dishes in particular the mutton achar) in Kolapur and a night halt in Devanagare. Left next morning after trying the famous Devanagare butter dosas at 9:30am and drove on the Nice road and had lunch at MacDonalds on Mysore route. Soon after lunch my Siena 1.6EL(2002) had engine problems (2 cylinders were not functioning) and the injector warning light came on but after 10mins of driving it rectified. I visited Tata Motors service centre at Mandhya but they could not figure it out as by that time the car was functioning well. From the Mysore ring road the road to Madikeri was very smooth and I reached my destination; a coffee plantation near Suntikupa (20 kms before Madikeri) at 7pm. Engine problem did continue on a visit to Talcauvery and Madikeri but agan after 10mins of driving it became normal. On the drive back from Madikeri to Bangalore, luckily the problem was there when I visited the Tata Motors outlet at Mandhya where they informed me that it was the injection coil and I should check it at the Tata Motos/Fiat Concorde Motors showroom/service centre on Bglr-Mysore road. Concord Motors staff were helpful and confirmed it was an injection coil problem but said that they do not keep any Palio/Siena parts and I had to call other Fiat centres and finally a showroom in Wakefield said that they had the part. However, as it was very far, I decided to buy the part at JC Market and got a mechanic to replace it. No engine problem thereafter.
Left Bangalore at 9:20am and took the same route back - apart from the Hubli-Devanagre section and the Hubli-bypass (2 lane), the route is extremely easy to drive. I reached Mumbai at 2:30am in the morning after a lunch and dinner halt. From Satara the injector warning light came on giving me some worries but the engine was running smoothly but after filling petrol on the Xpress way it went off.
I would definitely reccomend this route for Madikeri as it is hassle free but this should be my last long road trip in my Sienna as its parts are failing - just 2 days before my trip I had gone to Kamsed where one of the engine foundation bolts fell off and entire engine came down, the mechanic found that the filling had worn out. I also had to change the resistance coil as the car was over heating.
Planning to but the Linea T-Jet.