Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries

Old 5th October 2016, 16:26   #31
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: One day trip to Shirdi from Pune: Need cab + additional info!

I did this journey on Monday. The flight, zoomcar, all worked out well. Just a word of caution, I took this stretch - https://goo.gl/maps/T3XAyBLXa572 and got stuck among slow moving truck traffic. Road was horrible and resembled a dirt track. The whole stretch looked like track for testing suspension of heavy vehicles. 15 Km took 1 hour to cross. I would suggest to avoid this road and go via Ahmednagar.
msdivy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th October 2016, 17:11   #32
Senior - BHPian

That road does have truck traffic but was newly relaid and for some reason quite empty at the time I passed through it.

Thanks for letting me know it has deteriorated to this extent. Going into Ahmednagar town is usually a guaranteed traffic jam.

Though if you do pass through Ahmednagar - this is a nice alternative to Smile Stone (and easy to find on google maps)

Hotel Panchavati, Besides S.P. Office,, Ahmednagar - Aurangabad Road, Ahmednagar, Maharashtra 414001
hserus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th October 2016, 18:45   #33
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hserus View Post
Going into Ahmednagar town is usually a guaranteed traffic jam.
Have always and always taken this route only and never faced a traffic jam even once so far. I drive till DAP chowk and take a left at that chowk through Patrakar chowk and onwards. Its longer but worth it

Last edited by centaur : 5th October 2016 at 18:46.
centaur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th October 2016, 18:54   #34
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by centaur View Post
Have always and always taken this route only and never faced a traffic jam even once so far. I drive till DAP chowk and take a left at that chowk through Patrakar chowk and onwards. Its longer but worth it
That might be a much better idea - that left turn. Thanks!!

I suppose the timings were an issue? When do you normally do that drive?

We have one of two choices - flight that arrives in Pune just before lunchtime, lunch at Pune and then proceed to Shirdi with a short break for coffee / bathrooms at the Smile Stone, after which we do the Shej Aarti and then leave early in the morning after a full night's sleep at the hotel, or take an afternoon flight in, reach Shirdi sometime around dinner time and then three or four hours sleep before the Kakad Aarti.

I suspect that the jam I ran into in Ahmednagar was in option #2 - evening peak hour traffic in the town.

Last edited by hserus : 5th October 2016 at 18:57.
hserus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th October 2016, 19:34   #35
BHPian

Oops! My Bad. I missed that you would be coming via a flight. I generally leave from Pune by 6-7 in the morning. Like you say, evening could be an issue but thankfully I always got only slow moving traffic and I hope I dont face a jam either
centaur is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote