Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries

Old 1st November 2011, 18:20   #31
Senior - BHPian

Default re: Pune - Ahmedabad - Udaipur - Jaipur - Mt. Abu - Mumbai : Route Queries

Quote:
Originally Posted by libranof1987 View Post
My time to ask queries in this thread!

We intend to travel to Jaipur from Gurgaon on thursday and have 4 days in hand (expect to be back in Gurgaon by sunday late evening).

Although we have made a list of all the places we should see in Jaipur, any specific places that are not mentioned on websites but are worth visiting?

Also, from the perspective of camping at one hotel and roaming around the city all 3 days, which are the among the best places to stay in Jaipur?
We stayed at Four Points Sheraton on Tonk Road and it was quite easy to go around from there.We got it at a tariff of around INR 3500 per night.It is quite centrally located and Tonk Road is a very popular road.For pictures of the hotel,you could check my travelogue at http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/travel...than-m800.html (From"Aadab & Bagunnava" Land to Land of "Khammaghani"(Hyd to Rajasthan by M800))
ranjitp1 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 6th November 2011, 23:31   #32
Senior - BHPian

Default re: Pune - Ahmedabad - Udaipur - Jaipur - Mt. Abu - Mumbai : Route Queries

Just back from our Jaipur trip. Here's what we did :

Day 1 : reached Jaipur and Hotel Sarovar Portico by 3pm.
Went ahead to Choki Dhani in the evening.

Day 2 : hired the hotel cab and guide and went on for sightseeing.
- Birla Temple
- Albert Hall
- Drive in front Hawa Mahal
- City Palace
- Jantar Mantar
- Amber Fort
- Drive in front of Jal Mahal

Day 2 : hired the hotel cab
- Jai Garh
- Nahar Garh
- Hawa Mahal
- Random shopping at Bapu Bazaar

Day 3 : on the way back to Gurgaon, we took the Agra rd to Abaneri (Abha nagari).

From there, we took SH25 from Alwar to Bhiwadi and joined NH8 to Gurgaon.

Few observations :

- Jaipur traffic is absolutely chaotic! 2-wheelers, cycle rickshaws, autos just ride as they want. There is absolutely no lane discipline. And the funny part, everyone is like that, so no one minds anything! If you want peace of mind while driving, just hire a cab. A sentiment ranjitp1 echoes as well!

- The rider AND the pillion rider wear helmets. Very good!
libranof1987 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th November 2011, 11:14   #33
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by libranof1987 View Post
Just back from our Jaipur trip. Here's what we did :

Day 1 : reached Jaipur and Hotel Sarovar Portico by 3pm.
Went ahead to Choki Dhani in the evening.

Day 2 : hired the hotel cab and guide and went on for sightseeing.
- Birla Temple
- Albert Hall
- Drive in front Hawa Mahal
- City Palace
- Jantar Mantar
- Amber Fort
- Drive in front of Jal Mahal

Day 2 : hired the hotel cab
- Jai Garh
- Nahar Garh
- Hawa Mahal
- Random shopping at Bapu Bazaar

Day 3 : on the way back to Gurgaon, we took the Agra rd to Abaneri (Abha nagari).

From there, we took SH25 from Alwar to Bhiwadi and joined NH8 to Gurgaon.

Few observations :

- Jaipur traffic is absolutely chaotic! 2-wheelers, cycle rickshaws, autos just ride as they want. There is absolutely no lane discipline. And the funny part, everyone is like that, so no one minds anything! If you want peace of mind while driving, just hire a cab. A sentiment ranjitp1 echoes as well!

- The rider AND the pillion rider wear helmets. Very good!
Good to know you had a good trip.Is there a travelogue as well?Your observations of the Sarovar Portico?Any pictures of the hotel room that you could share?Good to know you did end up hiring the taxi,it is very very stress free seeing Jaipur this way
ranjitp1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th November 2011, 11:31   #34
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranjitp1 View Post
Good to know you had a good trip.Is there a travelogue as well?Your observations of the Sarovar Portico?Any pictures of the hotel room that you could share?Good to know you did end up hiring the taxi,it is very very stress free seeing Jaipur this way
No TL yet. I had a couple of pictures of the hotel room but can't find them now. The ones on their website are exactly like the actual rooms so one can check them there.

Sarovar Portico is a good hotel; the only flip-side is, it is in Vaishali Nagar, around 8kms away from the city centre. And there's a lot of metro construction work going on there. So, one should stay at SP with the intention of heading out of the hotel and returning only once per day. It is a 4* IIRC with very good interiors, toilets and room service. The in-house restaurant is good; but service during breakfast is slightly chaotic. They have good cars and drivers on hire. A good experience overall.

Reaching the hotel once we reached Jaipur and an evening drive to Choki Dhani convinced us that we need to hire a cab!
libranof1987 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th November 2011, 20:45   #35

@libranof1987: Am planning a road trip to rajasthan from mumbai. what was your experience of the road and traffic at ankleshwar? Did you go by the wrong lane? or did you go through the golden gate bridge?

Am planning to start early, so should be in ankleshwar at arouind 9 or 10 am on a sunday. Could you help me with what could be the traffic situation then? Any experienced bhpians could guide me on this. Also where were the bad stretches of road?

Regards and thanks in advance,

Rajiv
rajivrao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th November 2011, 12:11   #36
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajivrao View Post
@libranof1987: Am planning a road trip to rajasthan from mumbai. what was your experience of the road and traffic at ankleshwar? Did you go by the wrong lane? or did you go through the golden gate bridge?

Am planning to start early, so should be in ankleshwar at arouind 9 or 10 am on a sunday. Could you help me with what could be the traffic situation then? Any experienced bhpians could guide me on this. Also where were the bad stretches of road?

Rajiv
There is absolutely no way to gauge the traffic situation at Ankleshwar.Its very dynamic and there really does not exist any pattern.If you see a long jam,either turn and go via the town,or else if people are already taking the wrong side of the road,then follow them.Beyond Vapi there really are no real bad sections on NH8 at the moment,except some flyover construction diversions.
ranjitp1 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 14th November 2011, 14:50   #37
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Rajiv
Hey, I drove on the wrong side of the road near the Maharashtra-Guj border; that's near Vapi IIRC. You'll know what I'm talking about when you get there; invariably small cars will be driving on the wrong side.

Beyond that, there were just diversions; it was peak rainy season when I'd travelled and that too way back in 2009 so road conditions could be different now.

Just be careful of one thing though - don't go on the service lane at each diversion as a thumb rule. At times, the service lane is much more clogged than the actual highway.
libranof1987 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 14th November 2011, 17:12   #38
BHPian

Quote:

Rajiv
The famous JAM - Well theres a dedicated car lane (extreme left for cars ) ,Drive through that and honk and honk HARD if you see any truckers blocking the lane .They immediately sway for you and give you way ,you can pass the complete stretch in less than 10-15 mins .
Done it about a week back .

You would hardly encounter jams while returning back .
Taking the golden bridge is just a safe option if you dont want to HONK and make way for yourself . IMHO and personal experience the stretch has jams almost all throughout the day .

Thane - Surat sees a lot of road widening work and hence numerous diversions . Plan accordingly . Thane - Suart , easily doable in and around 5 hours driving @ sedate speeds .

Importantly , there's NO NEED for WRONG SIDE driving at all !!

Hope this helps !!

Happy Motoring

Last edited by jealousdiamond : 14th November 2011 at 17:14.
jealousdiamond is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 14th November 2011, 17:32   #39
Distinguished - BHPian

On 22nd October, as part of my Bangalore-Gujarat trip, I did Bangalore-Thane-Surat in a day starting from Bangalore at 4-30am and reaching Surat destination (Adajan Road, near Sardar Patel Bridge) at 11-30pm.

We took 2 long breaks - 80 Minutes for breakfast at Shiggaon and 60 minutes at Pune for Lunch and a few Bio and refueling breaks too.

We were at Ghodbunder Road - NH8 Junction exactly at 7-45pm (after meeting HV Kumar for 10 minutes near Airoli)from where I drove to Surat with a 45 minute dinner break near Charoti toll plaza.

The earlier plan was to take a long break at Thane till 10pm and then head towards Surat so that I can avoid the outgoing traffic. Since I had already driven 1000 kms by then, I didn't want to rest any further to break the tempo and my parents too were comfortable to continue ahead.

Though it was a Saturday evening festive weekend, traffic was better compared to my earlier drive in March.

I deviated off NH8 onto NH6 toward Surat exactly at 11pm and then took 30 minutes to locate the address via GPS navigation.

Surat-Ankleshwar-Baroda:
Last time in March when I did Bangalore-Rajkot, the jams on Narmada Bridge wasn't much on a Sunday noon. However, this time since I didn't want to risk it, I simply got into Ankleshwar town and passed the Golden Bridge and joined NH8 after Bharuch. This option works marvelously well at any time of the day. (Used this option during my return journey as well)

While we were crossing Narmada on the Golden Bridge, we could easily see jams on the main bridge of NH8 and thanked our lucky stars for the decision.

Probably, staying on the shoulder and honking and flashing will mostly take the same time as taking the Golden Bridge and passing two towns of Bharuch and Ankheswar will do but the latter is a peace of mind option and shall witness no untoward jams mostly.

I have also heard from various travelers that sometimes truckers even block the hard shoulder giving no room for cars to pass through and I remember honking at a GSRTC bus for moving onto the shoulder last time in March.

On Bad Stretches:
Even when I drove under dark skies, I must say that I could appreciate all those deviations and smaller speedbreakers which were easily visible.

I remember no such patch which had potholes at all.

If I compare the deviations with those between Chitradurga-Haveri (between 2005-2010), what I passed between Thane and Vapi was excellent workmanship.

Last edited by paragsachania : 14th November 2011 at 17:39.
paragsachania is online now   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 2nd February 2012, 16:01   #40
BHPian

We (me and my wife) are planning to drive till Mount Abu from Pune this weekend via Ahmadabad (My parents will be reaching Ahmadabad by train between 8am-9am on 6th. Need to pick them from railway station and then we will proceed to Mt Abu.). We plan to leave on 5th (Sunday 5 Feb 2012) morning from Pune.

From reading through other posts, I see Pune-Ahmedabad can be done in 12-13Hrs. Long driving hours is not a problem for me as I have done about 850+ Kms at a stretch from Aurangabad to Bilaspur with short tea and bio breaks. But I was wondering if we could do a stopover at Baroda and then next morning (6th) leave for Ahmadabad. This way it will not be a hectic and tiring drive. What do you guys suggest?

Case 1: Halt at Baroda.
Please suggest some good place to stay with family, preferably close to highway so that we can save the trouble of driving through city the next morning and reach Ahmadabad soon.

Case 2: Complete the entire stretch and halt at Ahmadabad.
As I mentioned that my parents would be joining us from Ahmadabad, I will have to pick them from the railway station. Does anyone know of some good place to stay near Ahmadabad railway station with easy exit to highway to continue our journey to Mount Abu.

Could not find much detail on Mount Abu. Any information/tips regarding Ahemadabad-Mount Abu route is welcome.

Is the yellow strip mandatory to put on headlamps while we are in Gujrat? We will just be passing through the state. This is really unacceptable of the Gujrat Traffic Police to harass visitors. Years back we used to put a black horizontal strip at the top of headlight. This vertical yellow strip does not make sense at all in current days and I do not understand how to put it. If someone has a picture, please post the same. I will prepare my car accordingly, if it is mandatory to out these yellow stips

Mine is an Indica Vista SAFIRE Aura ABS. I find headlights inadequate for night driving. I wish to replace the OEM headlight bulbs and put ones with more Wattage. What should be the best option? I want to do this before I start this trip.
aniket.tiwari27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd February 2012, 16:59   #41
BHPian

Anyway Ahmedabad - vadodara is 110 km drive and time is also less.
Hardly 1 hr 30 min on a beautiful expressway
so no point in searching hotel in vadodara.
In a hour or so you can reach Ahmedabad
and since your parents are coming directly to Ahmedabad , it make sense to book a hotel there instead of vadodara.
And if it darak when you reached vadodara, then also ok because Ahmedabad - vadodara is a expressway so not a problem of driving at night also.
About yellow strip, You can paste yellow color electric tape that generally used to seal/joint electrical cables. Need to put on your right head lamp on the right boarder of head lamp.
sandeep joshi is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 3rd February 2012, 00:48   #42
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aniket.tiwari27
Case 2: Complete the entire stretch and halt at Ahmadabad.
As I mentioned that my parents would be joining us from Ahmadabad, I will have to pick them from the railway station. Does anyone know of some good place to stay near Ahmadabad railway station with easy exit to highway to continue our journey to Mount Abu.

Could not find much detail on Mount Abu. Any information/tips regarding Ahemadabad-Mount Abu route is welcome.

Is the yellow strip mandatory to put on headlamps while we are in Gujrat? We will just be passing through the state. This is really unacceptable of the Gujrat Traffic Police to harass visitors. Years back we used to put a black horizontal strip at the top of headlight. This vertical yellow strip does not make sense at all in current days and I do not understand how to put it. If someone has a picture, please post the same. I will prepare my car accordingly, if it is mandatory to out these yellow stips
I would suggest you not to stop at Baroda and just go straight to Ahemdabad since Baroda - Ahemdabad is around 120 kms and via NE -1 it will take no more than
one and half hour.

Regarding Yellow strip, I personally have travelled in my GJ registered car along with friend's MH registered car and they were not harassed at all. But to be on safe side, you can just stick yellow electric tape.

From Ahemdabad, you can go to Mount Abu either via Mehsana (six lane toll road) or via Himmatnager (No toll). Both roads are in excellent condition. Since you will be closer to Ahemdabad railway station, IMO, it will be easier for you to take Ring Road and go via Himmatnager route. Either way, Mount Abu is around 3 - 4 hours from Ahemdabad. On the way, you can also stop by at Ambaji temple.

Last edited by Nitrous Power : 3rd February 2012 at 00:52.
Nitrous Power is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd February 2012, 02:10   #43
BHPian

Aniket
Hi
I have driven to Mt Abu via Himmatnagar.No problem whatsoever and as nitrous power has mentioned no toll(the icing on the cake)
To avoid the perpetual jam before Bharuch go through the ankleshwar town and golden bridge on the narmada river and rejoin NH8.You save on toll and distance.(keep your side view mirrors folded as the bridge is tight 2 laned one.
On sep 17th 2011(opened for business from16th sep) i stayed at hotel pallazo.It is right on the highway just before baroda
If you drive upto Ahmedabad it is not much of a hassle.However bear in mind the late time that you would reach so please book the hotel.
Hope this helps
Regards
faustus77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd February 2012, 08:31   #44
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aniket.tiwari27 View Post
Is the yellow strip mandatory to put on headlamps while we are in Gujrat?
My Linea, without the headlamp yellow stickers, had passed through Gujarat in 2010 and 2011 and stayed in Ahmedabad and Surat without any trouble.
J.Ravi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd February 2012, 09:55   #45
v&v
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
It is always advisable to put yellow strip when travelling in Gujarat. We have travelled via himmatnagar - mountabu , Around Ambaji and Mountabu there are couple of police checkpost which are know to be troublesome. The specifically target outside registration. So why take chance.
v&v is offline   Reply With Quote