Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries

Old 19th December 2010, 22:07   #1
BHPian

Default Chandigarh to Kanyakumari and back in 7 days.

Hi friends.

I am planning to do a road trip in the last week of December '10, a round trip starting from Chandigarh to Kanyakumari and back and want to complete it within 7 days.
I will be driving a Maruti Esteem VXi. I will be travelling alone.
Suggestions, info, advice..all are welcome.
I would be grateful.

Regards,

Sandeep Janjua.
Chandigarh.

Last edited by aah78 : 22nd December 2010 at 22:55. Reason: Thread Moved. Travelogues -> Route Queries.
Janjua is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th December 2010, 22:58   #2
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: Chandigarh to Kanyakumari and back in 7 days.

I am seeing a trend of people setting up very ambitious target for the long drives.

7 days for
--------------
Option I : a 3000+ KM drive if you use NH7 (one way), 6100 KM bothways.

Option II : a 3400+ KM drive if you use Chandighar-Delhi-Ahmedabad-Mumbai-Bangalore-Salem-Kamyakumari route oneway and 3800K bothways if you follow same route back.

Option III : a 7800+KM round trip if you use GQ, onward travel by option II and retrun journey through Salem-Chennai-Vishakhapattanam-Kolkatta-Varanasi-Lucknow-Delhi-Chandighar

As per Google maps, this journey (to and fro) would take around 116 hours (Avg speed of 68 KMPH)

You need to drive about 17 hours per day if you want to complete this journey in 7 days. even if you drive avg distance of 80 KMPH, you need to drive 14 hours a day, that to each and everyday.

you may plan ahead now.

Last edited by StarVegabond : 19th December 2010 at 23:03.
StarVegabond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th December 2010, 23:54   #3
BHPian

Thanks for the input StarVegabond. Yes, I am planning the whole thing out. At a stage where I am in the process of procuring a good GPS device (Map My India) confused though, a good set of fog lights. Already got new tyres Bridgestone Turanza 185/70/R13 ER60 (Upgraded from Michellin 175/70 R13). I know it is very ambitious trip but I so want to do it.
Wish me luck.
Regards,
Sandeep.
Quote:
Originally Posted by StarVegabond View Post
I am seeing a trend of people setting up very ambitious target for the long drives.

7 days for
--------------
Option I : a 3000+ KM drive if you use NH7 (one way), 6100 KM bothways.

Option II : a 3400+ KM drive if you use Chandighar-Delhi-Ahmedabad-Mumbai-Bangalore-Salem-Kamyakumari route oneway and 3800K bothways if you follow same route back.

Option III : a 7800+KM round trip if you use GQ, onward travel by option II and retrun journey through Salem-Chennai-Vishakhapattanam-Kolkatta-Varanasi-Lucknow-Delhi-Chandighar

As per Google maps, this journey (to and fro) would take around 116 hours (Avg speed of 68 KMPH)

You need to drive about 17 hours per day if you want to complete this journey in 7 days. even if you drive avg distance of 80 KMPH, you need to drive 14 hours a day, that to each and everyday.

you may plan ahead now.
Old 20th December 2010, 00:09   #4
Senior - BHPian

D1: Chandigarh-Delhi-Jaipur-Bhilwara-Udaipur-Ahmedabad (subject to fog), if delayed Udaipur
D2: Udaipur/Ahmedabad-Baroda-Surat-Bombay-Pune/Kolhapur
D3: Pune/Kolhapur-Belgaum-Hubli-Chitradurga-Tumkur-Bangalore-Hosur-Salem
D4: Salem-Madurai-Kanyakumari

As you can see, it is a tight plan to return to CG within 7 days.

Hence, you may have to drive through the night or maintain a 18-20 hour driving day. That would mean:
D1: Chandigarh-Baroda
D2: Baroda-Bangalore
D3: Bangalore-Kanyakumari

& back.
hvkumar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th December 2010, 00:20   #5
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janjua View Post
Thanks for the input StarVegabond. Yes, I am planning the whole thing out. At a stage where I am in the process of procuring a good GPS device (Map My India) confused though, a good set of fog lights. Already got new tyres Bridgestone Turanza 185/70/R13 ER60 (Upgraded from Michellin 175/70 R13). I know it is very ambitious trip but I so want to do it.
Wish me luck.
Regards,
Sandeep.
I don't think you need any GPS device. The routes are simple and straightforward and I am sure we will give you better advice on the routes. One notices several mistakes in the best of GPS devices.

You are going to be delayed in North India - till you cross into RJ - thanks to fog, but rest of the journey is going to be mostly fog-free.
Old 20th December 2010, 07:31   #6
v&v
Senior - BHPian

@ Janjua as rightly said by HVK, the plan is too tight for 7 days. I did a kerala one way trip in october.

Surat to Pune express way is tiresome after driving through fantastic roads of Rajasthan.
Same way after kolhapur till chitraguda traffic is high and diversions are there.
Similar issues will also be there at kerala route till kanyakumari depending on your route.

Continuous driving , after 4th day fatigue sets in and it is advisable to have a days break. Hence while planning do consider these parameters too and is advisable to extend the trip by a couple of days.

All the best for your trip.
v&v is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th December 2010, 13:12   #7
Senior - BHPian

Why do you want to be Tom Cruise and do a Mission Impossible V.. Jokes apart, a fatigued driver on the road is a danger to self & others.

I've always maintained that driving is a pleasure. Take it easy, drive during the day to see and soak in the surroundings. You will enjoy this trip. Set a target, and you shall be chasing it thus negating all the pleasure..
gd1418 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th December 2010, 20:18   #8
BHPian

Superb Plan Indeed. Do take into account all the factors mentioned above. Judge yourself first; If you get a solid green signal from inside.. you are ready to go. Dont keep the 7 day timeline too strict I'd say. Take time out to enjoy the drive and not just rush to be on schedule. Do inspect the car well. Have emergency phone numbers ready like the Maruti Online Service and all... for all the places that you will be travelling through. Get plenty of good music with you. Do keep writing the log as and when you get time... in case you like to. Sleep well thru the nights while you are on the tour. Drive safe and steady. What else...
Follow the heart.

CHEERS and All the Best !

Awaiting pics and the log.
qqplus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st December 2010, 07:21   #9
BHPian

Hello V&V.

Thanks for the advice. You guys are right. It seems a bit tight for a single person to cover at one go. I am thinking of taking it a bit easy now.
Grateful.
Sandeep Janjua.
Quote:
Originally Posted by v&v View Post
@ Janjua as rightly said by HVK, the plan is too tight for 7 days. I did a kerala one way trip in october.

Surat to Pune express way is tiresome after driving through fantastic roads of Rajasthan.
Same way after kolhapur till chitraguda traffic is high and diversions are there.
Similar issues will also be there at kerala route till kanyakumari depending on your route.

Continuous driving , after 4th day fatigue sets in and it is advisable to have a days break. Hence while planning do consider these parameters too and is advisable to extend the trip by a couple of days.

All the best for your trip.
Old 21st December 2010, 07:25   #10
BHPian

Hi hvkumar.

Many thanks for helping me here. Going by the advice of the BHPians, I am planning to take it a bit easy. My father seems excited about it too and might even accompany me. That would be a piece of cake!
Will keep you posted.
Regards.
Sandeep.
Quote:
Originally Posted by hvkumar View Post
D1: Chandigarh-Delhi-Jaipur-Bhilwara-Udaipur-Ahmedabad (subject to fog), if delayed Udaipur
D2: Udaipur/Ahmedabad-Baroda-Surat-Bombay-Pune/Kolhapur
D3: Pune/Kolhapur-Belgaum-Hubli-Chitradurga-Tumkur-Bangalore-Hosur-Salem
D4: Salem-Madurai-Kanyakumari

As you can see, it is a tight plan to return to CG within 7 days.

Hence, you may have to drive through the night or maintain a 18-20 hour driving day. That would mean:
D1: Chandigarh-Baroda
D2: Baroda-Bangalore
D3: Bangalore-Kanyakumari

& back.
Hi gd1418. You are right. I definitely don't want to be super-fatigued and still driving. I am adding some days in my itinerary.
Thanks a ton for the guidance.
Regards.
Sandeep.
Quote:
Originally Posted by gd1418 View Post
Why do you want to be Tom Cruise and do a Mission Impossible V.. Jokes apart, a fatigued driver on the road is a danger to self & others.

I've always maintained that driving is a pleasure. Take it easy, drive during the day to see and soak in the surroundings. You will enjoy this trip. Set a target, and you shall be chasing it thus negating all the pleasure..
Hello qqplus.

I am going to take it a bit easy after all the advice on the forum. Will definitely post as and when I can and hoping to take some nice pictures for all you friends to see.
Wish me luck.
Regards.
Sandeep.
Quote:
Originally Posted by qqplus View Post
Superb Plan Indeed. Do take into account all the factors mentioned above. Judge yourself first; If you get a solid green signal from inside.. you are ready to go. Dont keep the 7 day timeline too strict I'd say. Take time out to enjoy the drive and not just rush to be on schedule. Do inspect the car well. Have emergency phone numbers ready like the Maruti Online Service and all... for all the places that you will be travelling through. Get plenty of good music with you. Do keep writing the log as and when you get time... in case you like to. Sleep well thru the nights while you are on the tour. Drive safe and steady. What else...
Follow the heart.

CHEERS and All the Best !

Awaiting pics and the log.

Last edited by Amartya : 21st December 2010 at 07:50. Reason: Kindly use the Multi-Quote option in the future. Thanks.
Old 21st December 2010, 08:33   #11
BHPian

Dear fellow BHPians,

This is in regard to my planned road trip (Chandigarh to Kanyakumari).
How does this itinerary sound to you -

Day 1 Chandigarh to Udaipur
Day 2 Udaipur to Pune
Day 3 Pune to Bangalore
Day 4 Bangalore to Kanyakumari

Does this sound prudent to you guys? Need your feedback.
Regards,
Sandeep Janjua.
Old 21st December 2010, 09:16   #12
v&v
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Dear fellow BHPians,

Day 2 Udaipur to Pune
Day 3 Pune to Bangalore

Regards,
Sandeep Janjua.
Now this plan looks doable. Day2 and Day4 are going to be difficult.
if possible take an extended break at Pune to rejuvenate your self and the car.
v&v is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st December 2010, 10:21   #13
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Dear fellow BHPians,

Day 2 Udaipur to Pune
Day 3 Pune to Bangalore

Regards,
Sandeep Janjua.

D1 could be difficult if you have fog, but definitely feasible.
D2 is easy, been done by many before.
D3 is very short, can be extended to Salem
D4 is the easiest, the way NH7 is now, Bangalore-Kanyakumari is less than 8 hours drive.
Old 22nd December 2010, 08:34   #14
BHPian

Thank you very much for your feedback. I will be sticking to this plan for Chd-Kanyakumari route. But, I am thinking of coming back via the NH-17 route, Trivandrum-Mangalore-Goa and onwards. I have a few friends in Mangalore and they have extended an invitation to me to visit them.
Again, I would like your feedback on this route. I can stay overnight in Mangalore, but from there onwards, I have to cross Mumbai the next day and stop for the night somewhere near Daman/Vasai. Can you please give me some inputs regarding this.
I would be grateful.
Regards,
Sandeep Janjua.
Quote:
Originally Posted by hvkumar View Post
D1 could be difficult if you have fog, but definitely feasible.
D2 is easy, been done by many before.
D3 is very short, can be extended to Salem
D4 is the easiest, the way NH7 is now, Bangalore-Kanyakumari is less than 8 hours drive.
Old 22nd December 2010, 10:02   #15
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Thank you very much for your feedback. I will be sticking to this plan for Chd-Kanyakumari route. But, I am thinking of coming back via the NH-17 route, Trivandrum-Mangalore-Goa and onwards. I have a few friends in Mangalore and they have extended an invitation to me to visit them.
Again, I would like your feedback on this route. I can stay overnight in Mangalore, but from there onwards, I have to cross Mumbai the next day and stop for the night somewhere near Daman/Vasai. Can you please give me some inputs regarding this.
I would be grateful.
Regards,
Sandeep Janjua.
Problem with NH17 is in KK-Mangalore (NH47 from KK to Kochi, and NH17 from there on) - it sees heavy congestion all the way from KK to Mangalore. Besides, road is bad in some sections, especially Kozhikode-Kannur and Kasargod-Mangalore. The only way to beat this problem is to take this sector by night, when there is absolutely no traffic and you are guaranteeed to reach Mangalore, starting from KK at 8 pm, before 8 am the next morning.

NH17 from Mangalore is in bad shape after Kundapura, especially around Bhatakal, and will slow you down considerably. Once you cross Honavar, it is fast.

Do not take NH17 from Goa towards Bombay by night, it is full of maniacal bus traffic. If you leave from Mangalore in the early morning, you should reach Bombay by late night. You can stop at Hotel Fountain at Ghodbunder, where the road coming from Thane/New Bombay/Panvel (your route to bypass Bombay) joins NH8.