Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries

Old 16th August 2012, 22:01   #16
BHPian

Default Re: Bangalore - Udupi - Jog Falls - Karwar - Hampi - Bangalore suggestions?

Quote:
Originally Posted by bharat4ever View Post
Karthik one more question. I'm going for a three day trip. As in on the third day I'll have to start back to bangalore. Do you think I'll be able to club gokarna or some other beach as well?

Also I've booked rooms in hotel shivani, sirsi. Do you have any idea about how it will be?
In that case, I suggest the following:

Day 1: Bangalore-Shimoga-Jog-Murudeshwar/Gokarna
Day 2: Murudeshwar/Gokarna-Sirsi
(can cover Yana too along the way)
Day 3: Sirsi-Haveri-Bangalore

From Jog continue towards Honnavara on the same highway. Murudeshwar has a good beach and good hotel/resorts. If you move up, you'd get Gokarna.

Prasad
prasad14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th August 2012, 22:41   #17
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: Bangalore - Udupi - Jog Falls - Karwar - Hampi - Bangalore suggestions?

Quote:
Karthik one more question. I'm going for a three day trip. As in on the third day I'll have to start back to bangalore. Do you think I'll be able to club gokarna or some other beach as well?

Also I've booked rooms in hotel shivani, sirsi. Do you have any idea about how it will be?
prasad14's suggestion is spot on. You can try hitting the coast at Gokarna and staying for a night there like he said. Only problem in clubbing a beach visit within these 3 days will be that you are still new to highway driving and might feel the schedule is a little too rushed, doing 200kms of ghat section driving every day like a nomad from Bangalore to Jog, Jog to Gokarna, Gokarna to Bangalore, etc. Since you mentioned this is your first long drive, I would suggest you to take it easy, keep it to just Jog falls and Sirsi for this drive, and enjoy the drive . As you accumulate more highway experience, you can slowly try out more challenging routes and schedules in future. Just my suggestion.

I have no idea about Hotel Shivani, unfortunately. Couldn't find anything on Tripadvisor, but here is 1 lone review on HolidayIQ. Perhaps this helps.
Shivani Hotel | Jog Falls Hotel & Hotel | Online Rates & Booking | HolidayIQ

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
The problem is new nomenclature has changed the famous NH4 to NH48 in Google maps! And newly attained status of NH234 to NH69!
even I had this doubt when I saw old highways with new names and numbers. Is this change made by the government / NHAI authorities formally? I never saw any formal notification in the papers or media anywhere; wondering what was the need to shuffle the numbers now.

Last edited by KarthikK : 16th August 2012 at 22:44.
KarthikK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th August 2012, 07:54   #18
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
As Karthik mentioned, if you want to visit Jog and then Sirsi, then there is only one route for your.

Tumkur-Kadur-Bhadra-Jog-Sagar-Sirisi.
Ampere, Karthik suggested two routes and he also said going via chitradurga is faster, which is correct. So, fastest way to jog is Bangalore-tumkur-chitradurga-shimoga-jog.
hondadude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th August 2012, 09:00   #19
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by hondadude View Post
Ampere, Karthik suggested two routes and he also said going via chitradurga is faster, which is correct.
So, fastest way to jog is Bangalore-tumkur-chitradurga-shimoga-jog.
That is true as to what Karthik mentioned.

By "only route" I meant you dont want to miss the green route which goes through Tumkur Kadur Birur Bhadra etc. The whole 2-lane is a beautiful road with
green fields on both sides, as against the brown 4-lane till Chitradurga.

Definitely Chitradurga is the fastest option.
ampere is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 17th August 2012, 09:13   #20
BHPian

Thanks a lot for all the suggestions guys!

I've finalized on the route.

I'll take the two lane scenic route when going from Bangalore, since I can see Jog on the way, and then divert to Sirsi. That's on the first day.

Second day, Yana, and some other waterfall if possible. Gokarna ruled out because of the out of the way. But that's really sad. I'm more of a beach person rather than a waterfall person.

Third day, some other spot around Sirsi, and then start towards Bangalore through the GQ this time.
bharat4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th August 2012, 09:39   #21
BHPian

I did a Bangalore - Chitradurga - Ranebennur - Sirsi - Banavasi - Jog falls - Honnavar - Murudeshwar - Kundapura - Mangalore - Sullia - Bangalore last month. Took the Chitradurga - Ranebennur route on the way to Sirsi. The GQ until Ranebennur is a bliss to drive. We took a left after Haveri to the Sirsi SH which is a narrow road but is in a good shape with few patchy stretches in between. We went to Jog falls from Banavasi but encountered a deadly 4 km stretch just before Siddapura. Siddapura - Jog - Honnavar is in excellent shape. Be careful in the ghat between Jog and Honnavar as there are few narrow stretches and tight bends. The NH between Honnavar and Murudeshwar is plagued with potholes and also lookout for some deadly craters which pops up randomly. There are few good stretches too. Murudeshwar to Mangalore drive was a nightmare with heavy traffic and road widening work in progress. The entire trip took 3 days.

As Karthik mentioned, the two lane scenic route through Arsikere is excellent. If you have time, try visiting Gudavi bird sanctuary which is near to Banavasi. Its a 30 minutes drive from Banavasi so maybe an hour drive from Sirsi. I loved the spot. Its completely calm and will make you forget the fast paced life of Bangalore. There were not enough birds when I visited but since the monsoon has started, you may spot some.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KarthikK View Post
even I had this doubt when I saw old highways with new names and numbers. Is this change made by the government / NHAI authorities formally? I never saw any formal notification in the papers or media anywhere; wondering what was the need to shuffle the numbers now.
I don't think they have renamed formally. If you look at the Bangalore - Mangalore NH, its given as NH-75 in google maps. But the newly erected signboards between Nelamangala - Channarayapatna 4-lane road still indicates NH-48.

Last edited by guyfrmblr : 17th August 2012 at 09:54.
guyfrmblr is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 17th August 2012, 09:53   #22
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hondadude View Post
Ampere, Karthik suggested two routes and he also said going via chitradurga is faster, which is correct. So, fastest way to jog is Bangalore-tumkur-chitradurga-shimoga-jog.
Quote:

By "only route" I meant you dont want to miss the green route which goes through Tumkur Kadur Birur Bhadra etc. The whole 2-lane is a beautiful road with

+1 to what ampere said. The Chitradurga route is boring and is like a GQ expressway road. Nothing much to see anywhere, and all Maharashtra bound trucks use this road, so expect a lot of truck traffic. Especially irritating when one truck at 25kmph overtakes another at 24kmph and we are stuck behind, cursing our luck *lol*.

One update on the Chitradurga route since I just used this highway a couple of weeks ago - while this is the fastest route to go to Sirsi, at this present moment, there are quite a few deviations between Sira and Chitradurga, due to the road-widening work in progress. They are converting the 4-lane highway into 6-lane expressway in these areas, so there are 20-25 spots where traffic is diverted to the service road and back to the highway after a km or so. I assume this work must get over in the next couple of months, but until then, perhaps this route may not provide the required time advantage .

Quote:
Thanks a lot for all the suggestions guys!

I've finalized on the route.

I'll take the two lane scenic route when going from Bangalore, since I can see Jog on the way, and then divert to Sirsi. That's on the first day.

Second day, Yana, and some other waterfall if possible. Gokarna ruled out because of the out of the way. But that's really sad. I'm more of a beach person rather than a waterfall person.

Third day, some other spot around Sirsi, and then start towards Bangalore through the GQ this time.
Adding to what guyfrmblr said, since you are doing this road for the first time :

- from Bangalore, watch for the bypass road before Tumkur town. There are 2 Kamat hotels on your left, you will get the Shimoga signboard around 2-3kms after passing the second Kamat. Take this left turn to enter NH-206 (shimoga road). Take this bypass road or else you will end up wasting lot of time in Tumkur city traffic.

- lots of invisible speed breakers on the Tumkur bypass road, and in the Tumkur - Tiptur - Arsikere stretch. Watch your speed in this stretch. Shouldn't be too much of a problem if you are doing it in the daytime.

- the only bad stretch of road is around Tiptur town. Everywhere else the road is in brilliant shape all the way till Jog falls. Sagara - Sirsi is not in great shape at the moment, but it is just a bit bumpy. Not many potholes, and definitely manageable. They were tarring the stretch a couple of weeks back, not sure if it is completed now.

P.S - you're not missing anything at the moment about the beach part. Trust me, during monsoon time the beaches are no good. Just violent waters and cloudy/rainy weather all day long.

Last edited by KarthikK : 17th August 2012 at 10:00.
KarthikK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th August 2012, 10:12   #23
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

I agree with you on the scenic aspect of the route.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KarthikK View Post
+1 to what ampere said. The Chitradurga route is boring and is like a GQ expressway road. Nothing much to see anywhere, and all Maharashtra bound trucks use this road, so expect a lot of truck traffic. Especially irritating when one truck at 25kmph overtakes another at 23kmph and we are stuck behind, cursing our luck *lol*.

One update on the Chitradurga route since I just used this highway a couple of weeks ago - while this is the fastest route to go to Sirsi, at this present moment, there are quite a few deviations between Sira and Chitradurga, due to the road-widening work in progress. They are converting the 4-lane highway into 6-lane expressway in these areas, so there are 20-25 spots where traffic is diverted to the service road and back to the highway after a km or so. I assume this work must get over in the next couple of months, but until then, perhaps this route may not provide the required time advantage .
I agree with you about the scenic part. I took this road day before yesterday and while there are lots of diversions, it is still faster than the other route if you don't start early.

Quote:
P.S - you're not missing anything at the moment about the beach part. Trust me, during monsoon time the beaches are no good. Just violent waters and cloudy/rainy weather all day long.
Depends on what you want to do at the beach. I am currently typing this from goa sitting 50 meters from waterfront. I reached here yesterday afternoon and it has been beautiful so far. I agree about the rough waters this time of the year.
hondadude is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 17th August 2012, 10:12   #24
BHPian

Done then. Thanks a lot, will come back and post a detailed travelogue.
bharat4ever is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 6th November 2012, 15:22   #25
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by prasad14 View Post
In that case, I suggest the following:

Day 1: Bangalore-Shimoga-Jog-Murudeshwar/Gokarna
Day 2: Murudeshwar/Gokarna-Sirsi
(can cover Yana too along the way)
Day 3: Sirsi-Haveri-Bangalore

From Jog continue towards Honnavara on the same highway. Murudeshwar has a good beach and good hotel/resorts. If you move up, you'd get Gokarna.

Prasad
Hi Prasad,

Is there a short cut from Jog to Murudeshwar, without continuing to Honnavar. I feel going to Honnavar should be avoided, if possible. What abt the turning into Jog falls and SH 50 to to Bhatkal ? Is it in good condition ?

Venu
SAPVEN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd August 2013, 13:58   #26
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAPVEN View Post
Hi Prasad,

Is there a short cut from Jog to Murudeshwar, without continuing to Honnavar. I feel going to Honnavar should be avoided, if possible. What abt the turning into Jog falls and SH 50 to to Bhatkal ? Is it in good condition ?

Venu
First of all sorry to bump up this post
Couldnt find other relevant posts
Planning a trip over the week to Bangalore - Jog - Murdeshwar - Bangalore
or BLR - Murdeshwar - Jog - BLR

Most probably it will be the latter

So BLR to Murdeshwar should I take the NH4 to Harihar, and then after that take left at what point / town? Google maps is not clear on that deviation

From Siddapur should I go via google suggested route of siddapur - kumta road and take a deviation to honnavar at dodmane? or go via siddapur - mavinagundi - honnavar (this is the tumkur honnavar section)

On the return to Jog, should I come via Honnavar or Bhatkal to Jog?

Any good staying options near Jog but economical as I will be staying just the night and leave early next morning after seeing Jog.

Should return be via sagara - shimoga - tumkur or via Jog Siddapur - harihar - NH4?

How is the road conditions regarding the six laning work?
The various ghat sections one would pass through?
Any good eating options on the Chitradurga highway?

Or alternatively leave in evening from BLR, stay around Chitradurga NH4 and leave next day morning to Murdeshwar. Is there good staying options on the highway from Chitradurga to Harihar?
Thanks in advance
Best regards
Bala

PS> Please move the post to an appropriate thread if required

Last edited by balan : 2nd August 2013 at 14:17. Reason: Adding a few more queries
balan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd August 2013, 14:52   #27
BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (4)

@Balan,

Best route would be Bangalore--> Tumkur --> Tiptur --> Shimoga --> Sagar --> Joga -> Murdeshwar. You can come back in the same route if you don't want to visit any other place or else you can plan for Murudeshwar --> Bhatkal --> Uppunda --> Kollur --> Shimoga --> Arasikere --> Tumkur if you have time, it is very scenic/ghat section. Please avoid it in the night.

After visiting Joga directly go towards Honnavar, don't take Siddapur and Kumta road as they are in bad shape and also its raining very heavily. So better if you avoid Doddamane Ghat.

If you compare overall time taken, NH4 is not at all faster than NH 206. Believe me, since my hometown is Sagar in the above route, I travel often .
You can stay at Muthuga homestay near Joga or you can stay in Sagar only.
vinya_jag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd August 2013, 17:36   #28
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinya_jag View Post
@Balan,

If you compare overall time taken, NH4 is not at all faster than NH 206. Believe me, since my hometown is Sagar in the above route, I travel often .
Thanks for the suggestions
More than riding time, I prefer the driving comfort of a 4 track. You can say I am spoilt by these 4 track roads.
Best regards
Bala
balan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd August 2013, 11:17   #29
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinya_jag View Post
@Balan,

After visiting Joga directly go towards Honnavar, don't take Siddapur and Kumta road as they are in bad shape and also its raining very heavily. So better if you avoid Doddamane Ghat.

Vinaya- I have a similar tripBangalore-Tumkur-Shimoga-Sagar-Jog, but Mutthuga is sold out. I have booked in Sirsi as an alternative. How is the condition of the Sirsi -KUmta road via Devimane Ghat ? Next morning I am driving to Goa, do you recommend going to Honnavar from Jog and staying there instead of Sirsi (I dont have any specific reason to stay in Sirsi- just want to break the drive over 2 days, and dont want to drive in the night.

Last edited by paragpatankar : 3rd August 2013 at 11:19.
paragpatankar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd August 2013, 11:48   #30
BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (4)

^^^ , If you are going towards Goa, skip Sirsi, instead directly go towards Honnavara and you can stay there or @Kumta. You can leave Joga by 5-6 PM, you will reach Kumta by 8 PM.
Devimane Ghat is also good, but its raining heavily, last to last week there was tree fell on the road and traffic was halted for 3-4 hours. I would suggest 1st option.
vinya_jag is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote