Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries

Old 27th April 2015, 13:12   #46
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: Bangalore - Udupi - Jog Falls - Karwar - Hampi - Bangalore suggestions?

Planning to cover Jog falls, Gokarna , Murudeshwar and Udupi in a 3N/4D trip. Starting from Bangalore @ 4am on D1. Please comment/finetune the plan below :

D1 : Bangalore - Chitradurga - Shimoga - Jog falls. Spend some time at Jog falls , visit Gokarna . Night Halt.

D2 : Gokarna to Murudeshwar . Visit Murudeshwar beach and temple. Night Halt at Murudeshwar.

D3 : Murudeshwar to Udupi. Visit Maravanthe beach on the way. Night halt at Udipi.

D4 : Start towards Bangalore from Udipi . What's the fastest route to Bangalore ? Via Madikere ?

Last edited by sdp1975 : 27th April 2015 at 13:15.
sdp1975 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th April 2015, 16:41   #47
Team-BHP Support

Default Re: Bangalore - Udupi - Jog Falls - Karwar - Hampi - Bangalore suggestions?

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdp1975 View Post
D1 : Bangalore - Chitradurga - Shimoga - Jog falls. Spend some time at Jog falls , visit Gokarna . Night Halt.
You can also do : Bangalore-Nelamangala-Kunigal-CR Patna-Arsikere-Shimoga

Quote:
D2 : Gokarna to Murudeshwar . Visit Murudeshwar beach and temple. Night Halt at Murudeshwar.
Looks fine. You have lots of time. You may even want to visit Kollur.

Quote:
D3 : Murudeshwar to Udupi. Visit Maravanthe beach on the way. Night halt at Udipi.

D4 : Start towards Bangalore from Udipi . What's the fastest route to Bangalore ? Via Madikere ?
Udupi-Hebri-Someshwar-Agumbe-Thirthahalli-Shimoga-Arsikere-CR Patna-Nelamangala-Bangalore
ampere is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 27th April 2015, 17:03   #48
BHPian

Thumbs up Re: Bangalore - Udupi - Jog Falls - Karwar - Hampi - Bangalore suggestions?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
Udupi-Hebri-Someshwar-Agumbe-Thirthahalli-Shimoga-Arsikere-CR Patna-Nelamangala-Bangalore
Hey Amp,

One could also try the "Udupi-Hebri-Someshwar-Agumbe-Hariharapura-Koppa-NR Pura-Umblebayalu-Junction-Bhadravathi By Pass-Arsikere-CR Patna-Bangalore"

This route is decent enough to make quick progress. This route also saves you a few miles as compared to the Thirthahalli route. Had traveled on this exact route in Feb and it was quite good!

That apart, how does the "Bangalore-Nelamangala-Kunigal-CR Patna-Arsikere" compare with "Bangalore-Tumkur-Gubbi-Tiptur-Arsikere". I have always used the latter on my trips to Bhadravathi and have been happy with the route. I usually stop over at Tiptur Kamath for a short break on this route.

Is the Nelamangala route worth a try? How long will one take to reach Arsikere through this route? Also any pit stop recommendations?
naut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th April 2015, 17:11   #49
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by naut View Post
One could also try the "Udupi-Hebri-Someshwar-Agumbe-Hariharapura-Koppa-NR Pura-Umblebayalu-Junction-Bhadravathi By Pass-Arsikere-CR Patna-Bangalore"
I would actually suggest : Agumbe-Thirthahalli-Mandagadde-Umblibail-Bhadra bypass- Arsikere - CR Patna-Nelamangala. This also bypasses Shimoga totally.

No need to go to Koppa. Its a more winding route. At Mandagadde you cross the river and join SH65. (The same road you spoke about).

Quote:
That apart, how does the "Bangalore-Nelamangala-Kunigal-CR Patna-Arsikere" compare with "Bangalore-Tumkur-Gubbi-Tiptur-Arsikere". I have always used the latter on my trips to Bhadravathi and have been happy with the route. I usually stop over at Tiptur Kamath for a short break on this route.

Is the Nelamangala route worth a try? How long will one take to reach Arsikere through this route? Also any pit stop recommendations?
Its way way better. Because:

- You get 4-lane from CR Patna as against 2-lane
- Arsikere-CR Patna has absolutely no traffic
- You can save on the traffic from Tumkur to Bangalore.

In fact if you see the Bangalore-Mangalore thread, Bhadra bypass - Ublibailu - Mandagadde-Thirthahalli is the option which many follow.
ampere is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 27th April 2015, 18:34   #50
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
You can also do : Bangalore-Nelamangala-Kunigal-CR Patna-Arsikere-Shimoga
What would be the fastest route to Jog Falls from Bangalore ? I also saw Bangalore - Chitradurga - Bankapura - Sirsi - Siddapur - Jog falls that's about 70 km more but I get 4 laned roads all the way till Bankapura.
sdp1975 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th April 2015, 18:39   #51
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdp1975 View Post
What would be the fastest route to Jog Falls from Bangalore ? I also saw Bangalore - Chitradurga - Bankapura - Sirsi - Siddapur - Jog falls that's about 70 km more but I get 4 laned roads all the way till Bankapura.
No way. The extra distance 4-lane you will compensate by roads once you get off. Stick to Nelamangala-CR Patna-Arsikere-Shimoga-Sagar-Jog.
I think thats the best option. You have breakfast options before you get off the 4-laned NH48 as well.
ampere is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 3rd May 2015, 06:39   #52
BHPian

Quote:
No way. The extra distance 4-lane you will compensate by roads once you get off. Stick to Nelamangala-CR Patna-Arsikere-Shimoga-Sagar-Jog.
I think thats the best option. You have breakfast options before you get off the 4-laned NH48 as well.
+1. Did a round trip on this route just two days back. Awesome option to get to bhadravathi, shimoga etc. Saved me about half an hour one way although is about 20+ kms more distance wise as compared to the Tumkur route. Wondering, how the traffic would be during long weekends (the returning traffic on the last day), hope it is not too bad.

Just look out for some unmarked speed breakers between CR Patna Arsikere & Kadur. There are a few nasty ones.

The food options on the highway between Bangalore and CR Patna are the best. However, there is a CCD just after Arsikere while heading towards towards shimoga.

Amp,

Related question here, what is the state of Kunigal, Magadi, Nice road junction road? If I could use this route to get back to Jayanagar, it should save some more time.

- Naut

Last edited by naut : 3rd May 2015 at 06:53. Reason: Updates
naut is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 3rd May 2015, 08:09   #53
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by naut View Post
Amp,

Related question here, what is the state of Kunigal, Magadi, Nice road junction road? If I could use this route to get back to Jayanagar, it should save some more time.
I think its OK. But the main problem is Bangalore-Magadi quite winding a road and also has traffic. There is no Magadi bypass also. However beyond Magadi its more flatter and condition is also decent. If you are OK for a mild roller coaster of a ride this is a good option.

While heading out of Bangalore its OK you know how to get there. Its while coming to Bangalore, you need to spot the Magadi exit correctly. I dont remember seeing a board there.
Old 3rd June 2015, 14:50   #54
BHPian

Folks, interesting discussion. I would like to know the best route to Murudeshwar from Bangalore. I have the NHC Zx which can prove to be tricky on bad roads. The prerequisite is good road,relaxed drive and minimum time. I know it's an optimization problem but I know we have the information on all kind of roads on this forum.
adi_gt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd June 2015, 16:52   #55
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by adi_gt View Post
Folks, interesting discussion. I would like to know the best route to Murudeshwar from Bangalore. I have the NHC Zx which can prove to be tricky on bad roads. The prerequisite is good road,relaxed drive and minimum time. I know it's an optimization problem but I know we have the information on all kind of roads on this forum.
I think the best option for you would be to take the NH206 all the way to Honnavar and come back on NH17 to Murdeshwar. That in my opinion is a much better option than taking the Agumbe/Hullikal routes.
ampere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st August 2015, 22:53   #56
BHPian

What is the best route from Gokarna - Jog Falls - Bangalore if the start time at Gokarna is around 11-00 AM. Visiting Jog falls might take 3 hours extra. Is it advisable to take Jog falls - Chitraduga route and then NH4 to Bangalore to maximize driving on 4-lane road during evening/night. Hows the road condition between Jog & Chitradurga? Please suggest.
ankan.m.blr is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 1st September 2015, 07:03   #57
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by ankan.m.blr View Post
What is the best route from Gokarna - Jog Falls - Bangalore if the start time at Gokarna is around 11-00 AM.
Standard route is the best. Gokarna-Honnavar-Jog

Quote:
Visiting Jog falls might take 3 hours extra. Is it advisable to take Jog falls - Chitraduga route and then NH4 to Bangalore to maximize driving on 4-lane road during evening/night. Hows the road condition between Jog & Chitradurga? Please suggest.
Jog-Shimoga-Channagiri-Chitradurga-NH4

So you are on NH206 till Shimoga and then move away to get on to NH4. (Via Channagiri)

The roads around Honnavar can be a bit rough, but should be OK on the whole.

Last edited by ampere : 1st September 2015 at 07:19.
Old 1st September 2015, 07:03   #58
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ankan.m.blr View Post
What is the best route from Gokarna - Jog Falls - Bangalore if the start time at Gokarna is around 11-00 AM. Visiting Jog falls might take 3 hours extra. Is it advisable to take Jog falls - Chitraduga route and then NH4 to Bangalore to maximize driving on 4-lane road during evening/night. Hows the road condition between Jog & Chitradurga? Please suggest.
For Gokarna-Jog I think your best bet is to take Gokarna-Kumta-Honnavara on NH17 and then NH206 from Honnavara to Jog. From here, continue on NH206 all the way till Tumkur and then take NH4/Tumkur Road to Bangalore
OR
From NH206, Turn at Arsikere and reach Channarayapatna and get to Bangalore via NH48 till Nelamangala and then Tumkur Road (NH4).

Route via Chitradurga - last I heard there is some road widening/repair works on the NH13 from Chitradurga towards Bhadravati, so may be better to avoid.

Last edited by NPV : 1st September 2015 at 07:04.
NPV is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 6th September 2015, 17:46   #59
BHPian

I am planning a trip to Kolur Mookambika in October 1st week. On the way back, plan to cover Jog Falls. But considering the scanty rains this season, not sure whether it would be worth the visit to the falls or should I defer it for some other time. Can any one who has been there recently update - is it the massive roaring falls that it is known for during the monsoons or just a trickle of water?
Sandy28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th September 2015, 18:33   #60
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandy28 View Post
I am planning a trip to Kolur Mookambika in October 1st week. On the way back, plan to cover Jog Falls. But considering the scanty rains this season, not sure whether it would be worth the visit to the falls or should I defer it for some other time. Can any one who has been there recently update - is it the massive roaring falls that it is known for during the monsoons or just a trickle of water?
Cant say anything about the status. But yes, the reduction in water can be as fast as the increase. Hence if there are no rains, expect it to have very little water.
ampere is offline   Reply With Quote