Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries

Old 10th January 2011, 11:17   #1
BHPian

Default Chennai to Jog Falls

hi,

I am planning to drive from chennai to jog falls this weekend (Jan 15 - 16 2011). Is this time of the year a good time to visit the place?
Also, will it be possible to drive from chennai to jog falls in one day or should I plan for a break at bangalore/some other point beyond bangalore?

thanks
Siva
kshivaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th January 2011, 20:39   #2
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: Chennai to Jog Falls

Hi Siva,

Not a right time to see the falls in full glory which will be for s short time in August during monsoons. Neverthless, it is a great sight. One day is too much as Bangalore - Chenni is Five hours and Bangalore - Jog will be minimum six and half hours. Better take a break in bangalore. The roads from Bangalore to Shivamogga and to Jog is very good. You can take a look at my input on Kollur thread.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/route-...-kollur-3.html (Route Query-Bangalore-Kollur)
Fauji is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th January 2011, 21:18   #3
Senior - BHPian

siva its best you take a break at Bangalore. You are roughly talking abt 750+kms of travel one way from chennai and it will be a tiresome one. Bangalore to jog is close to 390kms or so.
As mentioned by fauji, the monsoons is the best time to visit jog. Nevertheless you can cover jog and a few other places during this trip. Run a quick search and you will find umpteen travelogues covering jog.

If you are interested check this old travelogue of mine here, have covered jog and a few other places.
rjstyles69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th January 2011, 15:33   #4
BHPian

Thanks everyone for your inputs. I could not make it as I could not be out for 3 days. Hence, went to Pichavaram instead - it is a 4.5 hours drive from Chennai. Shall upload the photos and write about the same in the Travelogue section.
Hopefully, shall plan for Jog falls after the 2011 monsoon rains.

thanks
Siva
Old 5th December 2011, 00:31   #5
BHPian

I am once again planning Jog falls - looking at going there on the weekend of Dec 17th, with a break in Mysore. Can someone help me with the state of roads on Mysore-Jog falls stretch? I am thinking of following itinerary

Day 1: Chennai - mysore
Day 2: Mysore - jog falls
Day 3: jog falls mysore
day 4: mysore stay
day 5: mysore - chennai.

please let me know if a nights stay is sufficient to see jog falls. And is this a good time to visit it? has anyone recently gone there and are the water levels good now?

thanks
siva
Old 5th December 2011, 09:56   #6
Awaiting Email Confirmation

Quote:
Originally Posted by kshivaa View Post
please let me know if a nights stay is sufficient to see jog falls. And is this a good time to visit it?
The best period to enjoy watching Jog Falls in its grandeur is from June to September when SW monsoon would be vigourous. Now, the water flow will be in trickles or just moderate due to water released from Linganamakki Dam Power House after power generation. There is no need to stay at Jog Falls which have poor facilities except KPCL/PWD/Forest Department guest houses. Even if you choose to trek down to the valley, half-day is more than sufficient. Sagara [taluk HQ-36 km] or Shimoga [district HQ-108 km] are better options for food and stay.
J.Ravi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th December 2011, 10:47   #7
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kshivaa View Post
I am once again planning Jog falls - looking at going there on the weekend of Dec 17th, with a break in Mysore. Can someone help me with the state of roads on Mysore-Jog falls stretch? I am thinking of following itinerary

Day 1: Chennai - mysore
Day 2: Mysore - jog falls
Day 3: jog falls mysore
day 4: mysore stay
day 5: mysore - chennai.

please let me know if a nights stay is sufficient to see jog falls. And is this a good time to visit it? has anyone recently gone there and are the water levels good now?

thanks
siva
Siva,

Any idea why are you doing this stretch to Mysore?

Any Plan to visit Mysore and surroundings? If not, i would recommend that you skip Mysore and go straight to Malnad and enjoy winter there. You can either combine Chikkamagalur with Tirthahalli and surroundings. Take a look at my thread on malnad for more details.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/route-...ve-malnad.html (Monsoon is here, why not drive to Malnad?)

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.Ravi View Post
The best period to enjoy watching Jog Falls in its grandeur is from June to September when SW monsoon would be vigourous. Now, the water flow will be in trickles or just moderate due to water released from Linganamakki Dam Power House after power generation. There is no need to stay at Jog Falls which have poor facilities except KPCL/PWD/Forest Department guest houses. Even if you choose to trek down to the valley, half-day is more than sufficient. Sagara [taluk HQ-36 km] or Shimoga [district HQ-108 km] are better options for food and stay.
Best time is Aug-Sep. There is a good home stay close to Jog where you can stay or do it as a day trip by staying in any home stays in Malnad. Jungle Lodges are planning a stay named Shyadri resort which should be open soon.

Homestay near Jog - Stay@matthuga :: Home Stay Near Jog Falls - Sagar, Jog Falls Holiday, Jog Falls Hotels, Resort Near Jog Falls, Accommodation Near Jog Falls, Lodging Near Jog Falls

Homestays in Tirthahalli - www.travelmalnad.com
Fauji is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 6th December 2011, 21:02   #8
BHPian

Thanks Fauji. Intent to visit Mysore is to see the palace lighting. Have been to Bangalore thrice and each time missed the Mysore palace lighting. So this time thinking I should see it :-)

Have mailed stay @ Matthuga for the stay near jog falls - thanks for the pointer.
Old 22nd December 2011, 23:05   #9
BHPian

All,

Thanks for the comments. I completed the trip over the weekend. Stayed at Stay@Matthuga for Jog falls, and Hotel Siddartha at Mysore. Took photographs of Mysore palace night lighting. Jog falls had very less water...as mentioned here. But overall a nice break. But for a few patches in the Mysore -> Jog falls route, roads too were in good condition for most of the drive.
Old 22nd December 2011, 23:13   #10
BHPian

adding some photos of the palace lighting as attachments.
Attached Thumbnails
Chennai to Jog Falls-palace2.jpg  

Chennai to Jog Falls-palace_bh3.jpg  

Chennai to Jog Falls-palace_bh_1.jpg  

Chennai to Jog Falls-palace_illum_bhp1.jpg  

Chennai to Jog Falls-palace_illum_bhp2.jpg