Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries

Old 28th March 2014, 13:14   #211
BHPian

Default re: Chennai - Kumbakonam : Route Queries

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ddrive View Post
Yes, Im talking about the Vikravandi-Panruti route. We did it on a hired Qualis, on our way to Kumbakonam on 23.2.2014. I found no trouble going through... I was there in the front next to the driver. The car was going at steady speeds of 70-90.

The driver as well as some colleagues who used to be regulars on this route, who traveled along with me commented that this road used to be bumpy and pot-holed, but now it is better that we are going this fast. Whereas, I honestly do not know how it used to be earlier.

For your information, We started from Guduvanchery at 6 am and reached Kumbakonam at 10.30 am taking this route, including 30 minutes for breakfast stop.
Wow. This is news Ddrive. This road used to be horrible full of potholes. you can never go beyond 30-40 kmph in this road between panruti and Sethiathope. worst section was Vadalur - Neyveli. If you are confirming the condition, i am tempted to try this route. Maybe due to elections they might have patched up. As NHAI is lanning to convert this road to a 4 lane, they had gotten in to some legal issues and hence no maintanence work was being done on this road for a long time along with a Quarry which used to be working full with lots of heavy duty trucks that led this road to a very poor condition. Anyways i will try this road next week and keep you posted.
venki.bala is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 29th March 2014, 14:17   #212
BHPian

Am planning to do Bangalore Mayavaram next week.

Which is the best route? I am traveling alone and would prefer reaching mayavaram with minimum stops at fastest possible time!

Bangalore-krishnagiri-salem-attur-vridhachalam-sethiathoppu-chidambaram-sirkazhi-mayavaram?

Is there any other option? Can I consider 8 hours with break?
prabhuferrari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th March 2014, 22:00   #213
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by prabhuferrari View Post

Which is the best route? I am traveling alone and would prefer reaching mayavaram with minimum stops at fastest possible time!

Bangalore-krishnagiri-salem-attur-vridhachalam-sethiathoppu-chidambaram-sirkazhi-mayavaram?

There is one more option Via Hosur, Krishnagiri, Morappur, Harur, T V Malai, Tirukkoilur , Panruti, Sethiathoppe, Chidambaram and Sirkazhi. But this involves more of 2 lane driving baring the bangalore-krishnagiri stretch.

I think the route you mentioned is the fastest one in terms of time.
suresh_gs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st March 2014, 16:24   #214
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by prabhuferrari View Post

Yes, 8 hours is good time to budget. I usually cover Bangalore-Vridhachalam in ~5 hours including break when i travel towards Kumbakonam via Jayankondam.

The route you mentioned is fine, but there will be high traffic between chidambaram-sirkazhi-mayavaram.

Depending on the time you leave bangalore, you can alternatively consider below route as well to avoid/minimize traffic. This will hold good until you join KMU-Mayavaram road, but after that traffic will be normal which is last leg of 20+ kms and should be manageable.

https://maps.google.co.in/maps?saddr...via=1&t=m&z=11

Roads between Vridhachalam-Jayakondam are patchy after which they are decent till you exit NH45C. I am not sure about the road conditions of SH150 that is joining from NH45C till Kuttalam. You may want to give a try and update us back, since you are traveling alone

-Ravi

Last edited by ravib : 31st March 2014 at 16:30.
ravib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st April 2014, 10:06   #215
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by venki.bala View Post
Wow. This is news Ddrive. This road used to be horrible full of potholes. you can never go beyond 30-40 kmph in this road between panruti and Sethiathope. worst section was Vadalur - Neyveli. If you are confirming the condition, i am tempted to try this route. Maybe due to elections they might have patched up. As NHAI is lanning to convert this road to a 4 lane, they had gotten in to some legal issues and hence no maintanence work was being done on this road for a long time along with a Quarry which used to be working full with lots of heavy duty trucks that led this road to a very poor condition. Anyways i will try this road next week and keep you posted.
Hey!
I did this route day before on my way to Kumbakonam. There are no potholes and you can definitely average 70 and more. Though you will face some traffic when passing through Panruti, Neyvelli and Vaddalur.
Also, this is Jackfruit season, so expect lots of fruit sellers on the road.
Cheers
us.dash is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 2nd April 2014, 07:48   #216
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by us.dash View Post
Hey!
I did this route day before on my way to Kumbakonam. There are no potholes and you can definitely average 70 and more. Though you will face some traffic when passing through Panruti, Neyvelli and Vaddalur.
Also, this is Jackfruit season, so expect lots of fruit sellers on the road.
Cheers
Its great to hear that. Never felt the condition on 45C would improve around Vikravandi. Meanwhile I also felt the Tanjore-Kumbakonam stretch of 45C is quite decent. You get slowed down not by road quality but by its winding nature, villages and heavy traffic (trucks and buses).
ampere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th April 2014, 14:46   #217
BHPian

I did travel to my native village near tehiruthuraipoondi last week. while going i had to take ECR - Pondy - Chidambaram - Mayavaram - Thirivarur - Thiruthuraipoondi. Had to pick my relatives at multiple points. Started at adayar at around 12 pm and reached thiruthuraipoondi at around 8 pm with about 45 mins stop over. Sirgazhi - mayavaram is relaid newly and was smooth. This stretch was very bad when i had gone in December. But due to elections car was stopped at pondy, near cuddalore, chidambaram bypass, sirgazhi bypass, near Mayavaram. they check in and out everything and record by a videographer.

Return was Thiruthuraipoondi - Mannargudi - KMU- Sethiyarthope - Neyveli -Vikravandi. Started at around 2 pm and reached chennai Ashoknagar around 8.30 pm with no stops except for a bio break. NH45C is now very good expect for few short stretches after panruti. when i stopped for bio break in Neyveli heard from locals that Nh45C road widening is going to start after the elections. So back to square one once the construction starts. He mentioned that NHAI already started transferring the electric lines/posts etc. Assuming it will take 2 - 3 years for them to widen it to a 4 lane, it is going to reduce the travel time by at least an hour minimum once it is complete.
venki.bala is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 10th April 2014, 17:38   #218
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
I did travel to my native village near tehiruthuraipoondi last week. while going i had to take ECR - Pondy - Chidambaram - Mayavaram - Thirivarur - Thiruthuraipoondi. Had to pick my relatives at multiple points. Started at adayar at around 12 pm and reached thiruthuraipoondi at around 8 pm with about 45 mins stop over. Sirgazhi - mayavaram is relaid newly and was smooth.
Yes this stretch is now very good. But the traffic conditions remain the same. Buses and lots of trucks and private vehicles. Even 45A (Karaikal-Sirgazhi is superb now. ) Infact even Mayavaram-Peralam-Thiruvarur is very nice to drive. And if I may add, you can still spot greens on this road even now, in spite of the heat!

Quote:
Return was Thiruthuraipoondi - Mannargudi - KMU- Sethiyarthope - Neyveli -Vikravandi. Started at around 2 pm and reached chennai Ashoknagar around 8.30 pm with no stops except for a bio break. NH45C is now very good expect for few short stretches after panruti. when i stopped for bio break in Neyveli heard from locals that Nh45C road widening is going to start after the elections. So back to square one once the construction starts. He mentioned that NHAI already started transferring the electric lines/posts etc. Assuming it will take 2 - 3 years for them to widen it to a 4 lane, it is going to reduce the travel time by at least an hour minimum once it is complete.
Not sure about south of Needamangalam, but the KMU-Needamangalam road is very good. The only negative here I think is getting stuck in Needamangalam thanks to railway crossing. The jams tend to build-up quite fast with people breaking line all the time. Lets hope the 45C work gets done very fast. At least that would provide the much needed respite from the Trichy-Tanjore road with choke points all the way up to NIT (or the first toll booth).
ampere is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 10th April 2014, 20:59   #219
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Return was Thiruthuraipoondi - Mannargudi - KMU- Sethiyarthope - Neyveli -Vikravandi. Started at around 2 pm and reached chennai Ashoknagar around 8.30 pm with no stops except for a bio break. NH45C is now very good expect for few short stretches after panruti. when i stopped for bio break in Neyveli heard from locals that Nh45C road widening is going to start after the elections.

Forgot to add.

NH67 is also very good beyond Tanjore down all the way. The road condition. till Needamangalam its very wide and its very nice. Beyond it kind of narrows down and is also much more meandering.
Another surprise was, in spite of the heat, I encountered fog early morning !

Chennai - Kumbakonam : Route Queries-dsc_0054.jpg

Now I don't thing there is any need to drive via Thiruthuraipoodi for Velankanni. The regular NH67 looks good.
Old 11th April 2014, 12:02   #220
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
Yes this stretch is now very good. But the traffic conditions remain the same. Buses and lots of trucks and private vehicles. Even 45A (Karaikal-Sirgazhi is superb now. ) Infact even Mayavaram-Peralam-Thiruvarur is very nice to drive. And if I may add, you can still spot greens on this road even now, in spite of the heat!
Is Mayavaram - Peralam - Thiruvarur good now? When I did that route back in Jan, there were a few patches of rough road and some pot holes.
arsudarsan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th April 2014, 12:39   #221
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by arsudarsan View Post
Is Mayavaram - Peralam - Thiruvarur good now? When I did that route back in Jan, there were a few patches of rough road and some pot holes.
I am not sure about the Mayavaram-Peralam section. But Peralam to Thiruvarur is very good. Going by the likes, I think even the 15 km odd distance between Mayavaram to Peralam would have been fixed. Not sure on that though.

Last edited by ampere : 11th April 2014 at 12:45.
Old 11th April 2014, 19:20   #222
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
I am not sure about the Mayavaram-Peralam section. But Peralam to Thiruvarur is very good. Going by the likes, I think even the 15 km odd distance between Mayavaram to Peralam would have been fixed. Not sure on that though.
Mayavaram - Peralam is good except for the bottleneck at Manganallur. Peralam - Thiruvarur is also good except for few places where the road has few potholes and a bridge construction is going on after sannanallur i think where there is no road for few meters.
venki.bala is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 11th April 2014, 21:42   #223
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Mayavaram - Peralam is good except for the bottleneck at Manganallur. Peralam - Thiruvarur is also good except for few places where the road has few potholes and a bridge construction is going on after sannanallur i think where there is no road for few meters.
Yes Peralam-Thiruvarur is very good. I was there on that very stretch a couple of weeks back. Awesome road it is now. Nicely marked as well.
Old 16th April 2014, 15:19   #224
BHPian

Hi,

Need to go to Thirukarugavur Temple near Papanasam. What do you suggest is the fastest route
1. the regular Tindivanam-Vikravandi-Panruti - Sethiathoppu - Anaikarai - Kumbakonam - Papanasam or
2. the alternate Ulundurpet - Vridachalam - Jayamkondan - joining Anaikarai via Gangai Konda Cholapuram or directly joining Kumbakonam via TPalur and then to Papanasam
3. the longer GC route tiruchi byepass, Tanjore Byepass, Saliamangalam and left to Tirukarugavur

Had done option 3, 2 years back and it took me 5 hours then. Would the other 2 options be faster?

Thanks and regards,
Arvind Bangole
DWind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th April 2014, 15:37   #225
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by DWind View Post
1. the regular Tindivanam-Vikravandi-Panruti - Sethiathoppu - Anaikarai - Kumbakonam - Papanasam or
The Vikravandi route seems to have been relaid. Its in good condition now. You can take it. See posts by @Ddrive and @us.dash in this same thread.

Last edited by ampere : 16th April 2014 at 15:43.
ampere is offline   Reply With Quote