Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries

Old 19th September 2014, 08:58   #241
Senior - BHPian

Default re: Chennai - Kumbakonam : Route Queries

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
That is the best possible option. Go ahead and take the route. A bit rough towards Vridhachalam. (And need I even mention about the traffic! )
Great !! Thank you. The doubt I had was whether there is a bridge across the river at Karuvepellai kuruchi and also at KaraiKuruchi/Devananchery near Kumbakonam

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRIV3R View Post
Instead of Vikravandi- Panruti, you can take Arasur - Panruti or Madapattu - Panruti. The road is good and not at all bumpy like the vikravandi stretch.

I do this stretch every other weekend.
Quote:
He heads to Vridhachalam first. (I hope he takes the Ulunderpet route till there).
Absolutely - Yes I am travelling from Chennai and intend to go to Vridhachalam. I plan to take the NH 45 - Tambaram - Chengalpet - Vilupuram - Ulundurpet (take left) - Vridhachalam

I am open, if there is a better route suggested. The reason for selecting this route is that the roads are good till ulundurpet.

Last edited by scopriobharath : 19th September 2014 at 09:00.
scopriobharath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th September 2014, 09:09   #242
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by scopriobharath View Post
Great !! Thank you. The doubt I had was whether there is a bridge across the river at Karuvepellai kuruchi and also at KaraiKuruchi/Devananchery near Kumbakonam
I remember Ravi posting about. Was trying to dig it out.

See this post (in the same thread)

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/route-...ml#post3398827

Same data in another thread (This is where I think he updated first)

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/route-...ml#post3308973 (Bangalore - Kumbakonam - Thanjavur - Trichy - Madurai - Namakkal - Bangalore)
ampere is offline   (3) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 19th September 2014, 15:48   #243
BHPian

Quote:

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/route-...ml#post3308973 (Bangalore - Kumbakonam - Thanjavur - Trichy - Madurai - Namakkal - Bangalore)
Jayankondam-Kumbakonam roads are still bad particularly around T.Palur. They are doing some patching work but still not worth it.

Instead, now that Anaikarai route is opened, it is better to drive additional 12 kms and better to take left after Jayankondam and reach Kumbakonam via Anaikarai-Thirupanathal.

Vridhachalam-Jayankondam-Anaikarai-Thirupananthal-Kumbakonam (Additional 12 kms)
or even better is
Vridhachalam-Sethiyathope-Anaikarai--Thirupananthal-Kumbakonam (Additional 18 kms)

Instead of scraping your car's bottom particular for low GC cars, better to take this additional kms and drive fast.

BTW, when are you traveling @scopriobharath?

I'll be driving from Vridhachalam to Kumbakonam next week, and will get more updates.

-Ravi
ravib is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 20th September 2014, 23:02   #244
BHPian

Quote:
I am open, if there is a better route suggested. The reason for selecting this route is that the roads are good till ulundurpet.
Hope you are planning to take the Vridachalam route by going inside Ulundurpet town. The other option of joining from NH45 is horrible.
DWind is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 22nd September 2014, 12:43   #245
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ravib View Post
BTW, when are you traveling @scopriobharath?

I'll be driving from Vridhachalam to Kumbakonam next week, and will get more updates.
Hi Ravi - I am starting on 1st October, maybe around Afternoon and plan to reach Vridhachalam by 3:00 / 4:00 pm and then proceed to Kumbakonam

Quote:
Originally Posted by DWind View Post
Hope you are planning to take the Vridachalam route by going inside Ulundurpet town. The other option of joining from NH45 is horrible.
Oops - Thank you. I was planning to take the bypass only as shown by google maps. Thank you for the information, I will take the ulundurpet town route then
scopriobharath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd September 2014, 18:58   #246
BHPian

Quote:
Hi Ravi - I am starting on 1st October, maybe around Afternoon and plan to reach Vridhachalam by 3:00 / 4:00 pm and then proceed to Kumbakonam
Hey scopriobharath, sorry my plans got changed over weekend, so i will not be driving this week towards Kumbakonam, but taking train instead.

However, if you need any help, feel free to PM me.

Thanks
-Ravi
ravib is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 2nd October 2014, 11:42   #247
Distinguished - BHPian

Folks,

Sorry for the mass quote - now that I have your attention.

I'm planning the following trip:
Chenai - Thanjavur in the morning, (dont want to do trichy - we're not big temple freaks and want to take it easy)
Some bit of temple sightseeing - what besides temples can we do around Thanjavur?

We then want to cover the temples of Kumbakonam and Gangaikondacholapuram before we stay on Sunday at some other nice place (any resort like place with enough greens?). The other option is to dash over to Tranquebar on Sunday night but that'll be much of a diversion.

How can we experience a bit of nature, some temples in these three days? Myself and wife are history/architecture buffs but our three year old does not care much. so we would like to combine some nature as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ravib View Post
Hey scopriobharath, sorry my plans got changed over weekend, so i will not be driving this week towards Kumbakonam, but taking train instead.

However, if you need any help, feel free to PM me.

Thanks
-Ravi
Quote:

Oops - Thank you. I was planning to take the bypass only as shown by google maps. Thank you for the information, I will take the ulundurpet town route then
Quote:
Originally Posted by DWind View Post
Quote:

phamilyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd October 2014, 12:18   #248
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by phamilyman View Post
How can we experience a bit of nature, some temples in these three days?
Madras-Ulundurpet-Vriddachalam-Andimadam-Jayamkondam-Gangaikonda Cholapuram. I'd suggest Darasuram near Kumbakonam as one other option since you are interested in architecture. Big Temple isnt too far if you are stationed at Kumbakonam (just about 40 km).

Kumbakonam area has a wealth of temples. Navagraha circuit is the prime example. Lots of Divya Desams are there too. But may not address the architecture part.

You see Chidambaram temple and visit Pichavaram nearby, which is famous for the mangrove forest.

To return, branch off ECR from Chidambaram and take Bhuvanagiri-Sethiathope-Vriddachalam-Ulundurpet-Madras.
narayans80 is online now   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 27th October 2014, 18:19   #249

Hi, I will be travelling from Pondy to Uppiliappan Temple (Thirunageswaram ). Kindly enlighten me on whether the roads are fine (especially after the heavy rains ). I need updates on Cuddalore-Chidambaram-Sirkali-Mayavaram-Kumbakonam stretch, also on the shortcut from Thiruvidaimarudur-Thirunageswaram and about Vadalur-S.Thoppu-Anaikarai ( esp the bridge ). I drive a WagonR. Need to start from Pondy by 6 AM and return before dusk.

Last edited by ns94 : 27th October 2014 at 18:23.
ns94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd November 2014, 21:32   #250
BHPian

I am planning a Chennai Mannargudi on 3rd week of December. Have a days work there and need to plan for two more days (all temple visits only).

What is the best route now post the NE mansoon
a) Chennai - K. Konam- Mannargudi (via Jayamkondan)
b) Chennai - K . Konam - Mannargudi ( via panruti- Sethiathope)
c) Chennai - Ariyalur - Thanjavur- Mannargudi
d) Chennai- Tiruchi- Thanjavur - Mannargudi (best road conditions)

Specially interested in Chennai-Kumbakonam , K. Konam - Mannargudi
K. Konam - Thiruvarur

Subject to the condition of the road, will be planning my two additional days.
Sridhar K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd November 2014, 21:51   #251
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sridhar K View Post
What is the best route now post the NE mansoon
a) Chennai - K. Konam- Mannargudi (via Jayamkondan)
b) Chennai - K . Konam - Mannargudi ( via panruti- Sethiathope)
c) Chennai - Ariyalur - Thanjavur- Mannargudi
d) Chennai- Tiruchi- Thanjavur - Mannargudi (best road conditions)
Actually yes: The best option is Trichy as you get 4-lane till Tanjore. But then you are doing 100km extra. From that point of view, an optimized route could be:

Chennai-Tindivanam-Ulundurpet-Vridhachalam-Jayamkondam-Kumbakonam-Needamangalam-Mannargudi.

But beyond Ulundurpet you get bogged by traffic and narrow roads. Quite a harrowing experience at that. Add to it the pain of crossing KMU and Needamangalam. When I look at it from that point of view, I feel the 100km detour via Trichy is worth it, as its easy driving and bliss. Take your pick.

Quote:
Specially interested in Chennai-Kumbakonam , K. Konam - Mannargudi
K. Konam - Thiruvarur
KMU-Alangudi-Nedamangalam is good narrow road. Wont see much traffic as its more of a country road. KMU-Thiruvarur sees a bit more traffic and its a decent SH.
ampere is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 23rd November 2014, 22:09   #252
BHPian

^^Thanks Ampere

I did Chennai- KMU- Alangudi - Mannargudi last in 2010. In 2011, I did Chennai-Tiruchi-Thanjavur- Mannargudi and returned via Mannargudi- Thiruvarur - Chidambaram- Cuddalore - Chennai.

My experience of KMU - Thiruvarur in 2006 time frame was very bad and hence the question.

Last year did Chennai- KMU via Jayamkondan and returned via panruti when the Panruti route finally got to a decent shape but I am hearing that it has taken a battering post the rains.

I am worried about the current condition of the road post monsoon and any recent feedback on the road condition would be of great help.
Sridhar K is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 23rd November 2014, 22:18   #253
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
I did Chennai- KMU- Alangudi - Mannargudi last in 2010. In 2011, I did Chennai-Tiruchi-Thanjavur- Mannargudi and returned via Mannargudi- Thiruvarur - Chidambaram- Cuddalore - Chennai.
If you dont have any visits to make, I would still vote for the extra 100km via Trichy. Much better an option.

Quote:
My experience of KMU - Thiruvarur in 2006 time frame was very bad and hence the question.
Surely situation has improved I think. Because I saw fresh tar on the Thiruvarur-Peralam road. Though I have not driven on the Thiruvarur-KMU, but I do except, it must have improved. (Lets wait to hear from others on this).

Quote:
Last year did Chennai- KMU via Jayamkondan and returned via panruti when the Panruti route finally got to a decent shape but I am hearing that it has taken a battering post the rains.
Surely compared to Panruti, I would vote for Jayamkondam. Simply because you stay on 4-lane much longer (Till Ulundurpet).

Quote:
I am worried about the current condition of the road post monsoon and any recent feedback on the road condition would be of great help.
No idea on that front (About roads deteriorating post rains).
ampere is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 22nd December 2014, 12:43   #254
BHPian

Folks, any recent updates from this road. I know Sridhar K is also looking for some update.

Sridhar K, I assume you are travelling to Kumbakonam this week. Just in case, if you happen to see this post, can you please update the road conditions (either via Jayankondam or via Panruti )?

I may drive from Kumbakonam to Madras couple of days before new year.

-Ravi
ravib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd December 2014, 16:07   #255
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
^^Thanks Ampere

I will be driving to Kumbakonam this thursday from Bangalore by car. I intend to go via Rayakottai,Karimangalam,Kambainallur,Morappur,Haru r,T V Malai,Thirukkoilur by pass,Ulundurpet,Vriddhachalam,Jayamkondan and T Polur.
Any idea about the road conditions from Ulundurpet onwards?
suresh_gs is offline   Reply With Quote