Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries

Old 26th February 2015, 11:53   #316
BHPian

Default re: Chennai - Kumbakonam : Route Queries

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
I can think of following options:

Pondicherry-Villupuram-Ulundurpet-Vridhachalam-Jayamkondam-Kumbakonam

The other option: Take the Panruti road.

Pondicherry- Koliyanur-Panruti-Sethiyarthope-Kumbakonam.

I think the first option makes more sense. But if you need more 4-lane then you do an extra 40km via Tindivanam instead directly going to Villupuram.
Ampere,

Panruti-Sethiyarthope-Kumbakonam roads are not good again as i hear, so best to avoid.

First option makes more sense to me as well

-Ravi
ravib is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 26th February 2015, 13:08   #317
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave7377 View Post
Thanks Suresh & Ampere. From both of your replies one thing is sure that i should not be taking Pondi-Cuddalore-Kurinjipadi. Either i should take road back to Tindivinam or take the Pondi-Villupuram-Ulunderpet. Any ideas on Pondi-Villupuram-Ulunderpet road conditions.
I don't mind extra 40-50kms as I'm travelling with family and parents so good roads would be my first choice.
Yes Cuddalore option can be a big pain. Best to avoid.

Quote:
Ampere you have also suggested Panruti road which in this thread has been criticised of being not in good shape. Any latest updates or have i missed something.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ravib View Post
Ampere,
Panruti-Sethiyarthope-Kumbakonam roads are not good again as i hear, so best to avoid.
Ravi has answered that for me. The reason I had suggested Panruti was because I remember @ddrive mentioning it was decent last year. Also since the over all distance of travel is about 120-130, a 40km detour can high. Hence that set me thinking.

Pondicherry-Villupuram is a narrow road, but decent. I think the 4-lane is the safest option. Anyway after Ulundurpet you enter the 2-lane section.

Last edited by ampere : 26th February 2015 at 13:09.
ampere is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 16th March 2015, 13:00   #318
Senior - BHPian

Can someone show route options to visit Gangaikonda Cholapuram enroute to Trichy from Chennai? Plan is to take a detour to visit the famous temple, and reach Trichy by evening.
Gansan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th March 2015, 13:29   #319
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gansan View Post
Can someone show route options to visit Gangaikonda Cholapuram enroute to Trichy from Chennai?
Gangaikondacholapuram isn't exactly on the way. Its closer to Kumbakonam actually.

From Madras it is straightforward Madras-Ulundurpet-(go inside Ulundurpet take Vriddachalam turn)-Vriddachalam-Andimadam-Jayamkondam-Gangaikondacholapuram.

To get to Trichy from there, there's a straight route (SH227) that goes via Jayamkondam-Lalgudi and joins NH45 at Number 1 Tollgate in Trichy. I haven't driven all through, just gone Trichy-Lalgudi this way. Conditions are good till that, there was a bridge construction at Lalgudi, not sure its over now. The other options involve getting to Kumbakonam and taking the traditional Papanasam-Thanjavur route or Kallanai-Thiruvayyaru route.

Moreover temple would close at noon to 1pm, not sure when you're planning to start. You are looking about 5 hrs to reach GKC from Madras, plan your start accordingly.
narayans80 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 16th March 2015, 14:22   #320
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gansan View Post
Can someone show route options to visit Gangaikonda Cholapuram enroute to Trichy from Chennai? Plan is to take a detour to visit the famous temple, and reach Trichy by evening.
From chennai follow the GST till Ulundurpet. Then go via Vriddhachalam and Jayamkondan. From here take a left that takes you to Gangai Konda Cholapuram.
suresh_gs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th April 2015, 15:10   #321
BHPian

Friends,
Need some quick suggestions. I'm traveling from Tambaram to Kumbakonam this Wednesday with Family. We have to attend a important gathering by 10.30 AM there for which we plan to start from Tambaram by 5 AM. Please suggest the best route to cover the trip within 5 Hours including a short break of 15-20 mins.

BTW, Our car is a Swift Vxi.
kablu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th April 2015, 16:01   #322
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by kablu View Post
Friends,
Need some quick suggestions. I'm traveling from Tambaram to Kumbakonam this Wednesday with Family. We have to attend a important gathering by 10.30 AM there for which we plan to start from Tambaram by 5 AM. Please suggest the best route to cover the trip within 5 Hours including a short break of 15-20 mins.

Tambaram-Ulundurpet-Vridhachalam-Sethiyarthope-KMU

Tambaram-Ulunderpet is about 190. You should cover that in about 2 hour max. Take a break here. And the rest 100km should take about another 2 hours max (assuming a max average speed of 50).

So in that way 5 hours should suffice. May be add a buffer to start at 4:30?
ampere is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 13th April 2015, 19:05   #323
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kablu View Post
Friends,

I would suggest the following route from Tambaram

Via Ulundurpet, Vriddhachalam, Jayamkondan. From here you have the option of going straight via T Polur or Take a left from jayamkondan and head towards Meensurty. From here take a right and proceed to Kumbakonam via Anaikarai.
I chose the latter. Very good roads all the way. Do remember as you head to Vriddhachalam from Ulundurpet, we have a bridge construction going on near Vriddhachalam level crossing. Here we have mud roads for about max 1/2 km. Otherwise good roads to commute.

Happy Journey
suresh_gs is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 13th April 2015, 19:31   #324
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by suresh_gs View Post

Via Ulundurpet, Vriddhachalam, Jayamkondan. From here you have the option of going straight via T Polur or Take a left from jayamkondan and head towards Meensurty.
Agree with Suresh. Going towards Meensurty and crossing Coleroon at Anaikarai would be better option. Also, try to start as early as possible.
DWind is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 13th April 2015, 21:14   #325
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by suresh_gs View Post

Via Ulundurpet, Vriddhachalam, Jayamkondan. From here you have the option of going straight via T Polur or Take a left from jayamkondan and head towards Meensurty. From here take a right and proceed to Kumbakonam via Anaikarai.
I chose the latter. Very good roads all the way. Do remember as you head to Vriddhachalam from Ulundurpet, we have a bridge construction going on near Vriddhachalam level crossing. Here we have mud roads for about max 1/2 km. Otherwise good roads to commute.

Happy Journey
The roads between Jayankondam-T.Palur-Kumbakonam are also quite good so no big concerns there. You can take either way as such.

-Ravi
ravib is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 15th April 2015, 14:29   #326
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave7377 View Post
Thanks Suresh & Ampere. From both of your replies one thing is sure that i should not be taking Pondi-Cuddalore-Kurinjipadi. Either i should take road back to Tindivinam or take the Pondi-Villupuram-Ulunderpet. Any ideas on Pondi-Villupuram-Ulunderpet road conditions.

I don't mind extra 40-50kms as I'm travelling with family and parents so good roads would be my first choice.

Ampere you have also suggested Panruti road which in this thread has been criticised of being not in good shape. Any latest updates or have i missed something.

Regards
Amit
@Amit, have you completed this trip and can you share the latest updates. Which route you took for your trip and how are the roads?
I will be driving from Pondy to Kumbakonam in upcoming May day long weekend, so wanted to hear from you before i choose the route.

Anyone traveled in this route via Chidambaram recently and know the status ? http://goo.gl/maps/R3sF9

-Ravi

Last edited by ravib : 15th April 2015 at 14:34.
ravib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th April 2015, 14:37   #327
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
@Amit, have you completed this trip and can you share the latest updates. Which route you took for your trip and how are the roads?
I will be driving from Pondy to Kumbakonam in upcoming May day long weekend, so wanted to hear from you before i choose the route.

Anyone traveled in this route via Chidambaram recently and know the status ? http://goo.gl/maps/R3sF9

-Ravi
Ravi, I think the best option would be to drive via Villupuram, and then to Ulundurpet via NH45 and then the usual route via Vriddhachalam, Jayamkondan and T Polur to Kumbakonam.
Old 15th April 2015, 14:44   #328
Team-BHP Support

Quote:

-Ravi
Worth trying this:

Route Link Avoids Chidambaram too.

But yes, be ready to face heavy two wheeler and cab traffic before Pondicherry and Cuddalore.
ampere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th April 2015, 15:02   #329
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
Worth trying this:

Route Link Avoids Chidambaram too.

But yes, be ready to face heavy two wheeler and cab traffic before Pondicherry and Cuddalore.
Amp, if you refer to post no. 315 of this thread, it is mentioned that Pondi to Kurinjipadi via Cuddalore is not worth it. Considering this i thought the better option will be via Villupram and Ulundurpet and then the usual route to Kumbakonam.
Old 27th April 2015, 19:36   #330
BHPian

Friends, I will be driving from Tirupati to Melattur near Tanjore on the 10th. What is the best route for me and how are the road conditions. Thanks in advance.
srimath is offline   Reply With Quote