Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries

Old 29th October 2015, 22:39   #361
Team-BHP Support

Default re: Chennai - Kumbakonam : Route Queries

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prodigy07 View Post
My parents wanted to visit Vaitheeswaran Kovil during the onward journey. So, we took the below route.
I think you should not have taken the Pondicherry route. You should have done:

Chennai-Ulundurpet-Vridhachalam-Chidambaram-Sirkazhi-Vaitheeshwaran Kovil.
ampere is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 29th November 2015, 10:29   #362

Default Road Conditions around Chidamabaram and Cuddalore

Folks

I need to travel to Peralam (Near Mayiladithurai) from Chennai with family. Going via ECR is the shortest route. But I am wary of the roads given the recent heavy rain. The alternative of going via ulundurpet to stay on NH45 is too long. And I will still need to drive through Kumbakonam etc.

Need some advice on whether Road travel should be simply avoided. I am planning to go on 6 December.
lifeinpune is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th November 2015, 11:04   #363
Team-BHP Support

Default Re: Road Conditions around Chidamabaram and Cuddalore

Quote:
Originally Posted by lifeinpune View Post
Folks
I need to travel to Peralam (Near Mayiladithurai) from Chennai with family. Going via ECR is the shortest route. But I am wary of the roads given the recent heavy rain. The alternative of going via ulundurpet to stay on NH45 is too long. And I will still need to drive through Kumbakonam etc.
I guess Peralam means the Lalithambigai temple?

As for the route:

Dont take the ECR. It tires you down. Especially crossing Pondicherry, Cuddalore and Chidambaram.

Stick to 4-lane. Chennai-Tindivanam-Ulundurpet-Vridhachalam-Bhuvanagari-Chidambaram bypass - Srikazi - Mayavaram - Peralam.

To take the Vridhachalam road at Ulundurpet you need to get into the town and not take the bypass at Ulundurpet. Yes roads are bad around Vridhachalam, but still this option is better to traffic prone ECR.

As per last I remember : Mayavaram - Peralam - Thirvarur road was freshly done with bad sections around Peralam (esp the Karaikal exit and Peralam railway station). That apart it was good. But that was quite some time back. Dont know how is it today.

As regards to whether you should travel? I think weather around interior TN is a tad better compared to coast. But good to check with others as well. I know folks who have been traveling to/from Mayavaram on a regular basis in these times by trains.

PS : I moved your query to this thread as its more in context.

Last edited by ampere : 29th November 2015 at 11:53.
ampere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th December 2015, 04:21   #364

Default Re: Chennai - Kumbakonam : Route Queries

Thanks for the input. My travel plans got canceled due to the rain and flood situation. I was originally planning to go to Chennai and then Peralam. But now I will go directly from Bangalore next month.

BTW, it's a visit to our family deity which is very near to Lalithambigai Temple.
lifeinpune is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th December 2015, 10:09   #365
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by lifeinpune View Post
Thanks for the input. My travel plans got canceled due to the rain and flood situation. I was originally planning to go to Chennai and then Peralam. But now I will go directly from Bangalore next month.
Yes Bangalore makes more sense. If you approach Peralam either by Tanjore-Thiruvarur-Peralam or Tanjore-Kumbakonam-Peralam, I don't think you will encounter rain.

Quote:
BTW, it's a visit to our family deity which is very near to Lalithambigai Temple.
Peralam always reminds me of Lalithambigai temple. Hence asked!
Old 21st December 2015, 14:52   #366
RGK
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
I think you should not have taken the Pondicherry route. You should have done:

Chennai-Ulundurpet-Vridhachalam-Chidambaram-Sirkazhi-Vaitheeshwaran Kovil.
@Amp

How is Ulundurpet - Vridhachalam - Jayamkondam - T Pallur (or) Anaikarai - Kumbakonam route?. Has it been affected badly after recent rains happened in the first week of December. Planning for a one day trip to Kumbakonam this weekend.
RGK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st December 2015, 16:19   #367
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by RGK View Post
How is Ulundurpet - Vridhachalam - Jayamkondam - T Pallur (or) Anaikarai - Kumbakonam route?.
Ulundurpet - Vridhachalam is the best of the worst. You dont have any choice on that. Beyond that I think its decent.

Nothing to do with rains. These sections anyway were not that great to begin with.
Old 22nd December 2015, 21:21   #368

@Ampere

I am planning on my yearly trip to Mayavaram this weekend, as usual I am planning on the following route which I took last year-

Chennai - Ulundurpet - Vridhachalam - Sethiyathope - Chidambaram Bye pass - Sirkazhi - Vaitheeshwaran Kovil - Mayavaram

Is there a better route available?
vikramhere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd December 2015, 21:54   #369
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by vikramhere View Post
I am planning on my yearly trip to Mayavaram this weekend, as usual I am planning on the following route which I took last year-
Chennai - Ulundurpet - Vridhachalam - Sethiyathope - Chidambaram Bye pass - Sirkazhi - Vaitheeshwaran Kovil - Mayavaram
See these updates. Does not look good.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/route-...ml#post3871224
Old 22nd December 2015, 22:11   #370
BHPian

Quote:
Ulundurpet - Vridhachalam is the best of the worst. You dont have any choice on that. Beyond that I think its decent.
I did this stretch 2 days back, it is not that bad. The route to take is
Ulundurpet -> Mangalampettai -> Vridhachalam

After Ulundurpet toll, proceed straight towards Trichy, after 6-8 kms you will see power distribution station on the left [It is big you cannot miss it], take left you will reach Mangalampettai after travelling 4kms. At Mangalampettai take right to Vridhachalam

6-8 Kms from Toll - NH
3-4 Kms to Mangalampettai - 1-2 kms have lot of potholes, rest of the stretch is newly laid
Mangalampettai to Vri - Single lane decent roads with scattered speed breakers.
Lord Lucan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd December 2015, 23:19   #371
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Lucan View Post
After Ulundurpet toll, proceed straight towards Trichy, after 6-8 kms you will see power distribution station on the left [It is big you cannot miss it], take left you will reach Mangalampettai after travelling 4kms. At Mangalampettai take right to Vridhachalam
The road where you connect directly from Ulundurpet Byepass on NH45 to Virudachalam though shorter would slow you down due to potholed road. You would not loose much time if you take the road directly by going into town.
DWind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th December 2015, 12:16   #372

Did Mayavaram to Chennai via the following route yesterday -

Mayavaram - Gangaikonda Cholapuram - Jayankondam - Vridhachalam - took left at mangalampettai to reach NH45 - Ulundurpet Byepass - Chennai

Off the total @280KMs, I would say just 6-7 kms of road at various locations were potholed, few speed breakers within small towns except for that the rest of the route was a breeze to drive. A pleasant surprise!

Thanks Lord Lucan for suggesting the Mangalampettai route, off the 3.1 KM strech, only ~1 km was in bad shape rest of the it was newly laid road.
vikramhere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd January 2017, 11:06   #373
BHPian

Has anyone gone to Thirunallar recently in 2016 has updates about the routes and quality of roads?

I am considering 3 routes:

Chennai -> Pondicherry -> Cuddalore -> Sirgazhi -> Mayavaram -> Thirunallar

Chennai -> Virudhachalam -> Pondicherry -> Cuddalore -> Sirgazhi -> Mayavaram -> Thirunallar

Chennai -> Virudhachalam -> Jeyamkondan -> Gangai konda Cholapuram -> Mayiladurai -> Thirunallar

I hope that after 2016 elections some of the roads would have been relaid. But cant be sure. Please share updates if anyone has traveled these routes recently.
LandCruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd January 2017, 11:35   #374
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by LandCruiser View Post
Chennai -> Virudhachalam -> Jeyamkondan -> Gangai konda Cholapuram -> Mayiladurai -> Thirunallar

I hope that after 2016 elections some of the roads would have been relaid. But cant be sure. Please share updates if anyone has traveled these routes recently.
None of the above.

My suggestion would be:

Chennai -> Ulundurpet - Veppur - Virudhachalam bypass -> Chidambaram bypass -> Sirkazhi bypass -> Karaikal - Thirunallar

This is about 350+ (about 50km more than normal). But this will give you a perfect smooth sailing.

- Go past Ulundurpet till Veppur. (4-lane all the way)
- Exit to 532 and get directly to Vridhachalam bypass.

The above option avoids Ulundurpet-Mangalampettai-Vridhachalam town.

Then dont go to Jayamkondan-Gangai Konda Cholapura- Anakarai-Mayavaram.
Because the status of Anaikarai is not known. Any time they close traffic. Also traffic near Mayavaram is way too high and there are many blind turns.

- Instead continue on 532 towards Chidambaram.
- Take the bypass and continue to Sirkazhi which can also be bypassed.
- At the end of Sirkazhi bypass there is an exit to Karaikal instead of Vaitheeshwaran Kovil/Mayavaram.
- Take the Karaikal road and go to Thirunallar.

NH532 is in very good condition and so are the roads from Chidambaram to Sirkazhi.
- Traffic after Sirkazhi towards Karaikal can be a bit high.

The above in my opinion is best option, even though longer in distance.

Routing for your reference: Route Link

Last edited by ampere : 3rd January 2017 at 11:40.
Old 3rd January 2017, 11:52   #375
BHPian

Quote:
None of the above.
My suggestion would be:
Chennai -> Ulundurpet - Veppur - Virudhachalam bypass -> Chidambaram bypass -> Sirkazhi bypass -> Karaikal - Thirunallar
If i may add, while coming from Chennai, i suggest instead of crossing Ulunderpet and go all the way till V.Koot road to take left in NH532 and the drive further to reach Vridhachalam by pass, it may be lesser time consuming to get into Ulundurpet town and drive 18 to 20 odd kms to reach Vridhachalam get-in and get-out of town to reach same Vridhachalam by pass. Ofcourse, there will be some traffic, but it is not horrible enough to drive longer till V.Koot road.

My cousin drove via Anaikarai 2 days ago and still the traffic is allowed in both ways. So not a problem.

-Ravi

Last edited by ampere : 3rd January 2017 at 12:40. Reason: Trimmed quoted post
ravib is offline   Reply With Quote