Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries

Old 28th July 2017, 16:57   #421
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (5)
Default Re: Chennai - Kumbakonam : Route Queries

Quote:
Originally Posted by narayans80 View Post
To clarify. NH 532 is V Koot Road-Veppur-Vriddachalam-Neyveli-Cuddalore. Ulundurpet-Kallakurichi-Chinna Salem-Athur-Salem has been an NH for quite a while now (atleast 30 years). It was NH68 in the past and NH79 now.
Yes, I'm aware that Ulundurpet-Kallakurichi-Salem has long been a NH.

On the other hand, it was my mistake saying the Salem-Veppur-Vridachalam-Cuddalore stretch was a SH, should have mentioned it as V Koot Road instead of Salem as you correctly pointed out.

Last edited by Yieldway17 : 28th July 2017 at 16:59.
Yieldway17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th August 2017, 14:30   #422
BHPian

How's the below route to Kumbakonam now? Can someone provide inputs please?

Chennai-Ulundurpet-Vridhachalam-Jayamkondam-Kumbakonam
Prodigy07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th August 2017, 18:33   #423
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prodigy07 View Post
How's the below route to Kumbakonam now? Can someone provide inputs please?

Chennai-Ulundurpet-Vridhachalam-Jayamkondam-Kumbakonam
Yes, this is best route. Exit NH45 at Veppur and drive towards Vridhachalam bypass.

-Ravi
ravib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th August 2017, 20:34   #424
BHPian

Planning for a trip from Chennai to Thirukadaiyur and back. Google maps suggests 2 routes, via ECR and one via GST/Veppur. Can experts confirm if Veppur route is better for Thirukadaiyur as well?
concorde24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th August 2017, 21:49   #425
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by concorde24 View Post
Planning for a trip from Chennai to Thirukadaiyur and back. Google maps suggests 2 routes, via ECR and one via GST/Veppur. Can experts confirm if Veppur route is better for Thirukadaiyur as well?
ECR route is scenic but beyond Pondy, particularly between Pondy to Cuddalore, the traffic is extremely high and will slow you down, quite tiring and sometimes irritating as well to overtake.

I think you can take Veppur route and go via Vridhachalam-Chidambaram and further down to Thirukadayur which will be less tiring and you get maximum 4L less traffic upto Chidambaram. Beyond chidambaram, its going to be same in either route.

-Ravi
ravib is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 17th August 2017, 10:45   #426
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ravib View Post
ECR route is scenic but beyond Pondy, particularly between Pondy to Cuddalore, the traffic is extremely high and will slow you down, quite tiring and sometimes irritating as well to overtake.

I think you can take Veppur route and go via Vridhachalam-Chidambaram and further down to Thirukadayur which will be less tiring and you get maximum 4L less traffic upto Chidambaram. Beyond chidambaram, its going to be same in either route.

-Ravi
I complete my trip to Thirukadaiyur on Aug 15/16 and here are the route updates

Oneward Journey - Chennai to Thirukadiayur via GST/Veppur
  1. Also planned to cover Srimushnam and Vaitheeswaran Koil on the way
  2. GMAP route: https://goo.gl/maps/ECbJZjTKbYC2
  3. Roads were excellent all the way through. Only average section was from Srimushnam to Chidambaram byepass stretch
  4. Sirgazhi byepass to Thirukadaiyur is narrow at many places but road condition was good.
  5. Started at 6am from T nagar and reached Thirukadaiyur at 2pm. Had stopped at Srimushnam from 10:20-10:45am and Vaitheeswaran koil from 12:30 - 1:30pm.

Return Journey : Thirukadaiyur to Chennai via ECR
  1. Came via ECR Route. https://goo.gl/maps/mJkUhTU2mRs
  2. Medium Traffic till Cuddalore. There was a AIADMK meeting in Cuddalore on 8/16 and I was struck in traffic for around 30 min in the town. Unfortunately no byepass for cuddalore
  3. After Pondy it ECR is a breeze and reached chennai just after the rains. Luckily for me not much rains in ECR.
  4. Started from Thirukadaiyur at 2pm and reached T nagar at 8pm with a 30 min break at CoffeeDay Seekinankuppam ECR.

Thanks!!
concorde24 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 17th August 2017, 13:21   #427
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by concorde24 View Post
Only average section was from Srimushnam to Chidambaram byepass stretch
Has Sethiathope-Bhuvanagiri-Chidambaram stretch become average? It was reported as good even a few months back (i.e post Vardah).

Just curious, how long does it take to cross Paranur starting 6am from T.Nagar these days? Or you took OMR-Thiruporur-Chengalpattu?
narayans80 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 18th August 2017, 08:54   #428
BHPian

Quote:
Has Sethiathope-Bhuvanagiri-Chidambaram stretch become average? It was reported as good even a few months back (i.e post Vardah).
To be precise the road condition from Srimushnam to Sethiathope (SH317) was pretty much average. Just after NH36 the roads are broad but not as good as Chidambaram bypass stretch.

Quote:
Just curious, how long does it take to cross Paranur starting 6am from T.Nagar these days? Or you took OMR-Thiruporur-Chengalpattu?
I started from T.nagar at 6 am and went by Kathipara/Tambaram strech and crossed Paranur at 7:05 am. Surprisingly it was not crowded probably because i went during end of long weekend. Usually during Diwali/Pongal long weekends, it takes anything between 15-30 min to cross this toll itself.
concorde24 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote