Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries

Old 10th November 2016, 14:41   #31
Team-BHP Support

Default Re: Good hotels / resorts in Kodaikanal

Quote:
Originally Posted by abirnale View Post
Thanks because I booked it seeing your first post on this thread about Villa Retreat Moreover, I saw their website, at least pictures seem better/ TripAdvisor rating is decent. And now knowing that it was being renovated sometime ago, must be in good shape now. Nevertheless, it should not be an issue even if things are little here and there. We are travellers, love to travel more and crib less
Some aspects :

- Villa Retreat is closer to Coaker's walk.
- Implies it not closer to the lake and you need to walk.
- The lake at the center is a very nice place to hang out during winters (esp evenings)
- I was there last year as well and stayed close to the lake. It was fun walking around the lake during misty evenings with tea and pakodas available in plenty!
- Hence the other thought of staying closer to the lake.
- This also assumes you have time to spare and are not running around sight-seeing.
- Thats the best way to enjoy Kodai.

Last edited by ampere : 10th November 2016 at 14:43.
ampere is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 11th November 2016, 23:06   #32
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by abirnale View Post
Anyone here been to Villa Retreat, Kodaikanal recently? How is their property and service? I see a decent rating on the Tripadvisor but feedback here would any day beat it
Avinash,
In case you are still contemplating, GRT has a brand new property there and this is also quite decent, but is away from the town near Vilpatti, but the location is simply peaceful and you can take walks around with no human/vehicle movement.
If you want to stay bang on the lake, Sterling Lakeside is really good.
luvurride is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 28th November 2016, 10:25   #33
Senior - BHPian

Just catching up on update post my trip. The trip coverage is here.

Villa Retreat is perfect place considering the close proximity with the various places as well as property itself. Lovely small garden overlooking town and evenings you would literally be in the clouds - I mean it If I am going back anytime to Kodaikanal, this would be one place for sure to be booked!
abirnale is online now   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 28th November 2016, 14:27   #34
BHPian

I had been to "Elephant Valley Eco Farm Hotel" during April 2016.
We found the hotel to be quite good.

Pros:
1. Natural Surrounding and rooms
2. Large area (40 Acres+)
3. Waterfall near by
4. Play area for kids
5. Mobile network too feeble (no unwanted calls )

Cons:
1. 10Kms from Kodaikanal.
2. Food needs to ordered before hand (vegetables are from their own farm, so depending on the order they get it from there).
3. Warmer compared to Kodai (Note: As we went during April we noticed it)
4. You need to be back before tool late in the night as last 2 Kilometres is not fine and quite dark (They say elephants do wander there - we did not see any till 8pm)
5. Being far from city no other choice of restaurants near by.
kozhissery is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 28th November 2016, 14:37   #35
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by luvurride View Post
Avinash,
In case you are still contemplating, GRT has a brand new property there and this is also quite decent, but is away from the town near Vilpatti,
The property is new. The wooden chalets are very good. The view is good. It is away from the beaten path.
BUT, the service is very poor. Water comes in tankers and they pump it up almost on a 24 hour basis. Hence noise and disturbance and very poor quality of water. Worst, the food is bad. Hygiene is poor.
earthian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th November 2016, 08:16   #36
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by earthian View Post
BUT, the service is very poor. Water comes in tankers and they pump it up almost on a 24 hour basis. Hence noise and disturbance and very poor quality of water. Worst, the food is bad. Hygiene is poor.
This is what even I have been hearing about GRT in Kodai. Usually I expect a very good service and quality from this chain. But their Kodai property somehow has throw-up all negative reviews on online media.
ampere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th November 2016, 12:01   #37
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by earthian View Post

I had a similar opinion as well but then admonished it considering these as teething issues since I went there during their launch phase. Considering how good their other properties in Chennai are standardized, this is quite a shocker that they have not been stabilize yet!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kozhissery View Post
I had been to "Elephant Valley Eco Farm Hotel" during April 2016.
We found the hotel to be quite good.
+1 to all that you've said. It is an excellent off beat stay for an urban detox!!
luvurride is offline   Reply With Quote