Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries

Old 28th September 2013, 20:58   #61
Senior - BHPian

Default re: Bangalore - Guwahati : Route Queries

Quote:
Originally Posted by pramodsdixit View Post
Need suggestions for road from puri to kolkata for leg 3.
Via bbsr ? Or via niali as google earth is showing?
No need to go via Niali. A Puri-Kolkata bypass has been recently opened, which will take you directly on-to NH5 without having to pass through Bhubaneswar city. You can check Google maps, which will show you this road as NH203.

But unlike towards Kolkata, there is no bypass for Bhubaneswar, while going towards Puri from the south. Thus if you want to bypass Bhubaneswar city, you can take the road via Jatni, that I had shown in the earlier picture.
julupani is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 28th September 2013, 21:44   #62
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
And sincere thanks to Jred and wanderer nomad for their personal interest in my safety. I'm obliged.
Mate that's what makes this community unique.
wanderernomad is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 28th September 2013, 22:38   #63
BHPian

Quote:
And sincere thanks to Jred and wanderer nomad for their personal interest in my safety. I'm obliged.
Glad you are safe. Well, echoing wanderer nomad; thats what this community is there for isn't it. Take care and enjoy the ride.
Jred is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 5th October 2013, 18:20   #64
Senior - BHPian

This traveller promod is on his home leg now. Just left my place and another 3 odd hours to his home.
wanderernomad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st December 2013, 23:47   #65

Hello bhpians

A somewhat detailed info about the Bangalore –Tinsukia journey that was done in Sep-Oct this year. sorry for the delay.

Vehicle : Hyundai Verna Fluidic CRDi

Total Distance : 4180km

Day 1: Bangalore to Vishakapatnam

We started from Blr at 5AM. Followed the ‘runway’ like awesome NH-7 upto Hyderabad – Thanks to the Telangana agitation, roads were ‘empty’ and after a breakfast break of about 45 mins near Kurnool , we were flying though the awesome Nehru ORR at Hyderabad by 11AM:. Hyderabad-Vijaywada was again a breeze. With a lunch break near Suriapet, managed to cross Vijayawada by 4.
Vijayawada-Vishakapatnam sector was slightly slow due to heavy evening traffic and traffic jams at most of the towns enroute. Reached Vizag by 11:00PM.

Day 2 : Break at Vizag.

Day 3 : Vizag to Puri

We started from Vizag at 7AM. Planned a lunch break at Chilka Dhaba as many people recommended. But being a veggie, had to skip the place. (Chilka lake itself is something one has to see to believe its vastness!!! ) Roads were good all the way till we got off NH-5 at Khorda. Road till Pipli was average. After Pipli, the road was 4 laned in patches upto Puri. Reached Puri by 2.30PM and had a delayed lunch at Dominos. Paid obeisance to Lord Jagannath late by evening.

Day 4 : Puri-Konark-Kolkata

We left Puri at around 8 AM. Exit road from Puri towards Konark town was pathetic. Road got better after that and became awesome when passing through Balikhanda Reserve Forest. Then was a 2km long beautiful stretch of Puri-Konark Marine drive along the rough beach. After a short halt at Sun temple, Konark, started for Kolkata by 11AM. Road was good till Pipli. Then the newly constructed 4 laned Puri-Bhubaneswar bypass road took us toNH-5 at the outskirts of Bbsr in no time. The city was completely bypassed. Bbsr-Kolkata drivewas comfortable and all the towns/villages in Orissa had short flyovers. Plans of visiting Balasore/Chandipur and Gopalpur beaches were washed away by rains. Reached outskirts of Kolkata in the midst of heavy traffic and traffic jams by 7PM. Was inside Kolkata by 8PM. Kona expressway makes entry into Kolkata quite hassle free. (I had to enter the city for personal reasons. Else no need to enter city for further journey

Day 5 : Kolkata-Siliguri (via Dumka –Bhagalpur)

We started from Kolkata at 6AM. Followed NH-2/Durgapur Expressway (both are same) upto Asansol. About 9 km after Asansol took a right turn onto the Chittaranjan road. The road was extremely bad till the border of WB-JH (about 8-10kms). After entering Jharkhand the same road turned into an incredibly smooth road !! Kudos to the local administration. The road remained so till Jamtara and little further, beyond which the road was under repair in patches till Dumka, but mostly in a drivable state. Just before Dumka took a left turn on Bhagalpur road. Road was average in JH and under repair at places. The road remained similar in Bihar but was more ‘Cratered’. A crater would appear from nowhere and a hard bang on suspension became too frequent. Then Bhagalpur is a town, probably the only of its kind!! The town was choc-a-bloc with traffic (including pedistrians,cycle rickshaws, cattle, trucks.. just anything). All we wanted was to get out of the town without any scratch or dent. In addition atleast a dozen ‘Meteors’ must have been impacting this town everyday. Else there is no way that the whole town had roads which had nothing but just huge craters. After Vikramshila bridge, we planned an evening coffee break at the much talked about restaurant of Neha Sharma. Though the ambience is good they did not have anything to serve for a coffee break. The agony of bad road continued till we joined NH 31 near Naugachia. (The road has come up in an awesome way in last few months. Last time I travelled through in Feb ‘13, it was in a mess). The road was now a two laned neat road till it joins the E-W expressway at Purnia. From there till about 15 km short of Bagdogra the 4-lane road gave not much of trouble, except that the top layer of the road had started peeling off, giving a little bumpy ride. From Bagdogra the road turned into a terrible 2 lane road with lots of craters.( The same stretch was not so bad when i travelled thorough it in May’13). Tthe road remained in this condition till Siliguri town. We reached Siliguri town by 9.30 PM, with hardly any long breaks during the complete day. (We were on packed food throughout the day.

Day 6 : Siliguri –Gangtok

We started from Siliguri at 1230noon after resting adequately. After crossing Sevoke, the road was bad for about 10-15 km due to road widening. Thereafter the road was good till Gangtok. With a short break in Rangpo, we reached Gangtok by 4.30PM.

Day 7 : Gangtok-Nathu La-Baba mandir- Gangtok (By hired taxi)

Road journey to Nathu La was not very comfortable due to widening of the road. (Only SUV/MUVs with adequate clearance can pass through the bad roads). But the view itself all throughout (esp at Changu Lake) was breath-taking and all the pain of journey was worth it. As we reached Nathu La, the sudden loss of oxygen became evident as climbing 10-15 steps proved quite an exercise. But after a few minutes we got used to the low oxygen levels. The Indian side of the border was being spruced up by the Army. The feeling of being’ Indians’ just overtook us when we saw the Indian and Chinese soldiers sitting eyeball to eyeball. A hot coffee and piping hot ‘maggi’ at Cafe 14000 run by the local Army unit drove away all the exhaustion of being at 14,140ft from sea level. After a quick salute at the war memorial we set course for ‘Harbajan Baba Mandir’. Enroute we had a glimpse of the ‘Yak Golf Course and Environmental Park’ the Highest golf course in the world at 13025ft AMSL. The Baba shrine is an extremely sacred place especially for the Army personnel and enshrines a soldier who went missing during the 1962 Sino-Indian war. The soldier is given salary, promotions (and is now a Honorary Captain), his uniform ironed, shoes polished, bed made-up, food served just like any other soldier of the Indian Army. (There are two mandirs, the New one close to Nathu La and the Old one which is a bit far.) The feeling of being inside the bunker of ‘Harbajan Baba’ itself was so overwhelming that the journey back to Gangtok was spent in a trance state. (Though it was broken for a few minutes by another round of ‘Maggi’ at 17th mile.

Day 9 : (A refreshing) Break at Gangtok.

Day 10 : Gangtok-Guwahati

We started from Gangtok at 6AM. After a quick breakfast at Rangpo, we managed to reach Tiger/Coronation bridge by 11AM. The road upto Binnaguri was awesome. (As it was in Feb and May). Thereafter we turned left towards Birpara. We turned right towards the Falakata-Cooch Behar road on entering Birpara. (The road if continued straight at Birpara, leads to Hashimara-Bongaigaon-Ghy axis, which is in a destroyed condition in WB and must be avoided at all costs . I learnt it the harder way in Feb '13). The Birpara-Falkata-Cooch Behar road was in a good condition except for a few bad patches at places. Cooch Behar bypass was a smooth and surpisingly the road upto Boxirhat was in a pristine condition. (It was in shambles in May ’13). The road thereafter upto Golokganj was in a good state. The Golokganj-Gauripur stretch was under repair and in a very bad state. Therefater the road (Gauripur-Dhubri-North Salamara) was a breeze except for a short traffic jam at Dhubri. We took a short tea break at the ATDC restaurant short of N Salamara. We then set course for Guwahati via Naranarayana Setu – Goalpara bypass and managed to reach Guwahati by 9PM due to the good road condition and virtually no traffic.

Day 11 : Guwahati-Tinsukia

We started from Guwahati at 8 AM. By 9.30 we were out of the city and cruising on the four lane stretch. But the road was under repair at a large number of places. But by and large the road was good till Nagaon. Thereafter the road was 2 laned, but in a good condition. We reached Kaziranga by 2PM and halted for lunch at Wildgrass resorts. (Had a tyre cut when parking in the parking lot and had to replace it). By 5.30 PM we were in Jorhat. We had a quick and warm rendezvous with ‘wanderernomad’ who was in touch with me throughout my journey (right from Bangalore). Was out of Jorhat by 6.30 PM and reached Tinsukia by 10PM, thanks to the freshly laid road.

We were just in time for a well deserved late night ‘Pool party’ !! What a way to end a 11 day 4k+ road trip.... Splashhh!!!!

PS: Thanks to HVK sir, wanderenomad, Jred, julupani, Sutripta, blurust, JoseVijay, rkg and all others for making the trip a cool one.

Note from Mod : Please stick to 2 smileys per post. Read the rules of the forum before proceeding further.

Last edited by GTO : 23rd December 2013 at 16:08.
pramodsdixit is offline   (3) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 30th December 2013, 22:47   #66
Senior - BHPian

And now he is off for another 3200 kms road trip. Now I am Jealous.
wanderernomad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th November 2014, 16:01   #67
BHPian

Arrow Guwahati to Bangalore

Time to reopen this thread. But on the reverse direction. Planning to get my FIL's 14 yr old Fiat Palio which is just lying around after my last trip to Bhutan.

Anyone done Guwahati to Bangalore recently?

I need route info regarding fastest and safest way to cross West Bengal. Rest of the way looks straight forward but any tips / advice are welcome.
rockyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th November 2014, 16:50   #68
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: Guwahati to Bangalore

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockyb View Post
Time to reopen this thread. But on the reverse direction. Planning to get my FIL's 14 yr old Fiat Palio which is just lying around after my last trip to Bhutan.

Anyone done Guwahati to Bangalore recently?

I need route info regarding fastest and safest way to cross West Bengal. Rest of the way looks straight forward but any tips / advice are welcome.
The East West Corridor route via Rangya, Nalbari, Bongaigaon, Alipurduar, Birpara, Chalsa, Sevoke is in good shape now. Although lot of the widening work is over, the 4 lanes are not operational fully; there are several culverts under construction, please be careful of the diversions.
hvkumar is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 7th November 2014, 18:01   #69
BHPian

Arrow Re: Guwahati to Bangalore

Quote:
Originally Posted by hvkumar View Post
The East West Corridor route via Rangya, Nalbari, Bongaigaon, Alipurduar, Birpara, Chalsa, Sevoke is in good shape now. Although lot of the widening work is over, the 4 lanes are not operational fully; there are several culverts under construction, please be careful of the diversions.
From Sevoke do I continue towards Bhagalpur? Do I have to enter Siliguri town?
Old 7th November 2014, 20:05   #70
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: Guwahati to Bangalore

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockyb View Post
From Sevoke do I continue towards Bhagalpur? Do I have to enter Siliguri town?
The road via Siliguri town & Bagodagara is better than the horrible truck-infested pot-holed so-called Siliguri bypass via Fulbari
hvkumar is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 20th January 2015, 12:10   #71
BHPian

Arrow re: Bangalore - Guwahati : Route Queries

Ok Finally am all set for the road trip. As of now the plan is

Day 1. Guwahati to Siliguri
Day 2. Siliguri to Kharagpur
Day 3. Kharagpur to Visakhapatnam
Day 4. Visakhapatnam to Bangalore

Am off to Guwahati on 25th Jan. After that I won't be able to access net regularly. Am planning to start from there by 2nd week of Feb.

I am planning to stay on the highway. Budget hotel but safe for the car and clean loo. Suggestions welcome
Old 20th January 2015, 17:52   #72
BHPian

Hey All, I would like to float across a rough plan for a trip to Sikkim and Bhutan, postponed from two years back, from Bangalore. It is roughly as follows and quiet similar to rockyb's mentioned above as far as the route up to Guwahati.
1. Bangalore - Rajahmundhry 816Kms
2. Rajahmundhry - Bhuvaneshwar 620 Kms
3. Bhuvaneshwar - Dumka. 662 Kms.
4. Dumka - Siliguri 378.

I hope to do the longer distances the first 3 days taking into account the better road conditions compared to the 4th day ride. I do not like to travel at night and am planning to get about 12+ hours of sunlight each day as it is summer. We will enter Sikkim loop around (work in progress) enter bhutan through Phuentsholing and exit near Sandrup Jhongkar to reach Guwahati. Then we go on to Kaziranga from where the return starts as follows.

1. Kaziranga - Siliguri 593 Kms.
2. Siliguri - Dumka 378 Kms.
3. Dumka - Bhuvaneshwar 662 Kms.
4. Bhuvaneshwar - Rajahmundhry 620 Kms.
5. Rajahmundhry - Bangalore 816 Kms.

I have got all the distances from Google Maps. Bangalore - Rajahmundhry is planned through Chotoor - Tirupathi - Nellore. Plan to bye-pass Calcutta completely and cross Kharagpur towards Dumka. The onwards route towards Siliguri I keep flip flopping between the various options as on the forum, all seem like options between the devil and the deep sea !!

Would Welcome and be Thankful for any advice regarding this route.

Regards,

Manmohan.
manmohanmaan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th January 2015, 18:54   #73
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by manmohanmaan View Post
We will enter Sikkim loop around (work in progress) enter bhutan through Phuentsholing and exit near Sandrup Jhongkar to reach Guwahati. Then we go on to Kaziranga from where the return starts as follows.

1. Kaziranga - Siliguri 593 Kms.

Manmohan.
Hi Manmohan

When are you planning to start? I will be doing this in reverse direction hopefully by Feb 1st week. I have driven to Bhutan from Guwahati - You can read about it here. http://pallavibaruah.com/travel/2012...dragon-bhutan/

Only 2 inputs form my end.

Kaziranga - Siliguri 593 Kms. in one day will be too tiring. In that part of the country you can't rely on google map's > xxx km = xx:xx hrs of driving time. I would recommend you do Kaziranga - Guwahti - Siliguri. You can add Shillong too if time permits.

How many days are you planing for the "enter bhutan through Phuentsholing and exit near Sandrup Jhongkar" It is not so easy task. Lots of paper work. Moreover Phuentsholing to Thimphu / Paro roads are very good. Rest of Bhutan not so good to no roads at all.
Old 21st January 2015, 16:35   #74
BHPian

Hey Rocky,

Am planning to start some time towards the end of April.
Guess I will have to break my journey at Guwahati as indicated by you. Is it possible to travel a little beyond Guwahati and then the next day travel a little further than Siliguri ?
Regarding Paper-work in Bhutan, am planning on getting it done through a travel agent, i have a dependable guy who is time tested.
Bad roads should be OK as long as there is a motorable path. Have been through a few driving a Fortuner over the past few years.
How have you decided to do the siliguri - Calcutta route ??
regards,

Manmohan.
manmohanmaan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st January 2015, 17:46   #75
BHPian

Great! Best of luck for Bhutan.

You can cross Guwahati and push all the way till Bongaigaon which is a city and safe for pit stop. Otherwise that whole area (Nalbari, Barpeta, Barpeta Rd etc) is not very safe due to Bodos. You can also return through NH37 > Goalpara > NH31B > Bongaigaon. Very scenic route. Less traffic. Roads were in good condition due to less traffic. From Bongaigaon I guess you can push more than Siliguri. Let me complete the trip. Will update you.

Last edited by rockyb : 21st January 2015 at 17:53. Reason: spelling mistake