Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries

Old 21st February 2011, 20:35   #31
BHPian

Default Re: Is it safe to drive through AP/Odisha(Orissa)?

Thanks.

Any chance of finding the ferry timings?

I've sent a mail to OTDC. Hope they will reply.
Skyline GT-R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd February 2011, 08:50   #32
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyline GT-R View Post
Thanks.

Any chance of finding the ferry timings?

I've sent a mail to OTDC. Hope they will reply.
Which ferry - the Satapada-Krishnaprasad ferry?
There are only 2 car ferries AFAIK, and the morning one from Satapada leaves anytime between 830-1000 am.

Call up the OTDC at Satapada, they will give you the info immediately.
hvkumar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st March 2011, 20:46   #33
BHPian

Hi Guys!

Reached Bangalore on Sunday night after almost a 2000km run on the GQ (NH5) from Kolkata.

It was a awesome drive, thanks to HVK sir, didn't face any issues with the route. It amazed me how accurate his driving directions were! They were bang on everytime! I didnt feel the need to check the GPS.

The drive was awesome apart from the 2.5km chaotic jam at the WB-OR border! Which again thanks to HVK took me no time to cover as I passed that travelling through the "wrong right side"!! About a 2-3 km stretch on Rambha Bypass which didnt have the smooth tarmac as it was everywhere else. Apart from these 2 hiccups everything else was smooth sailing. Intrestingly my 01 zen returned an avg of 21.4kmpl overall with the A/C on 100% of the time.
Once again thanks to everyone on this thread to help me out with the upto date info about the Kol-Blr route. A big thanks to HVK sir for panning out the route for me and helping me out when I got stuck!

Cheers
Shrey

PS: dont have any pics as wife had put the camera in one of the bags which could not be taken out!
ssjr0498 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st March 2011, 20:49   #34
BHPian

I am planning to drive from Kolkata to Chandipur this friday evening (4 pm). I plan to take the route NH6 - NH60 to Balasore and then to Chandipur. Is it safe / convenient to take this route in the evening, given that I have not traveled on NH60 / WB-OR border before?

Thanks for the inputs.
aroop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st March 2011, 21:09   #35
BHPian

If you were to ask me personally, I wouldn't do a night drive. But to tell you about the route, it shouldn't be a problem. The roads are great.

About the WB-OR border, just remember, if you see a big pile up of trucks, ask anyone how long the jam is! Feel free to go onto the opposite side of the road and pass the check post. No issues in doing that. The officials are aware of this and dont hassle private vehicles.

Hope you have a safe trip.

Cheers
Shrey

Quote:
Originally Posted by aroop View Post
I am planning to drive from Kolkata to Chandipur this friday evening (4 pm). I plan to take the route NH6 - NH60 to Balasore and then to Chandipur. Is it safe / convenient to take this route in the evening, given that I have not traveled on NH60 / WB-OR border before?

Thanks for the inputs.
ssjr0498 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd March 2011, 07:35   #36
Senior - BHPian

So good news finally, the pestering of non-OR private vehicles to pay tax at the NH60 border has stopped!!!
julupani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd March 2011, 11:06   #37
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aroop View Post

Thanks for the inputs.
Nights also see bad traffic jams at the WB-OR border.

Apart from the "wrong right side" driving that Shrey has mentioned, alternative route to bypass the jam is to turn off the 4-laned road near the IOC petrol pump 2-3 kms before the border and take the old 2-laned NH60 to get into Jaleswar town and rejoin the 4-laner after it.

Ensure that you have refuelled before 12 midnight or so, since even the 24H pumps may be closed. There are some 24H pumps between Kharagpur & Baleswar but I did not get confidence that they will be really open (attendants simply go off to sleep).
hvkumar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd March 2011, 11:48   #38
BHPian

Thanks Shrey and HVK Sir for your advice. We have decided to start a bit early, so that we can cross the border by 6 pm. That will give us some free time at Chandipur as well.
Old 2nd March 2011, 18:37   #39
dot
Senior - BHPian

This thread is full of latest and useful information. I am planning a trip from Pune to Calcutta. I was very keen to know the road conditions from Vijaywada till Kolkata. I think all that has been answered by most of you. So thank you. From the tales it looks like a good drive can be expected.

The route I am planning is Pune- Solapur- Hyd-Vijaywada then GQ till Cal.
dot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd March 2011, 22:21   #40
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dot View Post
This thread is full of latest and useful information. I am planning a trip from Pune to Calcutta. I was very keen to know the road conditions from Vijaywada till Kolkata. I think all that has been answered by most of you. So thank you. From the tales it looks like a good drive can be expected.

The route I am planning is Pune- Solapur- Hyd-Vijaywada then GQ till Cal.
PUNE --> HYD road work is in process. (Read somewhere in this forum)

You can also consider the alternate route.

PUNE--> NAGPUR-->RAIPUR-->SAMBALPUR-->KENDUJHAR-->JASHIPUR-->KOLKATA

You can get many latest info regarding the above route in the forum.
KALINGA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd March 2011, 22:35   #41
dot
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by KALINGA View Post

You can also consider the alternate route.

PUNE--> NAGPUR-->RAIPUR-->SAMBALPUR-->KENDUJHAR-->JASHIPUR-->KOLKATA

You can get many latest info regarding the above route in the forum.
Thanks KALINGA.

Roads of the alternate route that you have suggested maybe mostly 2 laned. Unlike the nice divided 4 laned ones of the GQ. Moreover Sambalpur is in maoist area?

A friend of mine recently traveled from Hyd to Vijaywada and he said the road is in pretty bad shape. Even Pune to Hyd via solapur is not a great drive I hear. So the first stretch (Pune- Vijaywada) maybe the most time consuming.
dot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th March 2011, 10:16   #42
BHPian

Quote:

Roads of the alternate route that you have suggested maybe mostly 2 laned. Unlike the nice divided 4 laned ones of the GQ. Moreover Sambalpur is in maoist area?
I do not think it will be much unsafe to drive in the highways, even if it is a maoist area, if you remember to drive through and cross this areas during the day. I have driven up to Sambalpur from Calcutta and know that Sambalpur - Jashipur - Bahragora - Calcutta is a double lane undivided road, except for the last 120-130 KM, where it is divided. But the road is wide and comfortable.
Regards,
Rahul Biswas
Calcutta
rahul4640 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th March 2011, 13:06   #43
Senior - BHPian

NH6 is still 2lane most of the way, but surface is not too bad. The Maoist influence and activity in this area is not too high, thus you can travel through it without much trouble at all. Traffic on this highway is nowhere near as bad at least between Sambalpur and Calcutta, as I have seen on other major highways like NH5 NH2 NH31 etc.

As for travelling on the highways in Maoist areas, you cant generalise about the safety. I have seen the NH between Vishakapatnam and Raipur, passing through Maoist areas in south Orissa, to be pretty unsafe throughout the day. Regular blockades, and even a few minor attacks on govt vehicles and officials. It should be avoided if possible.
julupani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th March 2011, 13:26   #44
BHPian

Quote:
Thanks KALINGA.

A friend of mine recently traveled from Hyd to Vijaywada and he said the road is in pretty bad shape. Even Pune to Hyd via solapur is not a great drive I hear. So the first stretch (Pune- Vijaywada) maybe the most time consuming.
Dear Dot,

You are right. that road is 2 laned. But its very less traffic. Road is good.
you can refer "RAHUL's" recent travelogue .

"SAMBALPUR" is not MAO affected area. Day time driving is SAFE.

Last edited by KALINGA : 4th March 2011 at 13:28.
KALINGA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th March 2011, 14:08   #45
BHPian

Smile Re: Is it safe to drive through AP/Odisha(Orissa)?

I came back from a trip to Chandipur. Here's a road update.

NH6: Kolkata to Kharagpur is great, though there is good amount of traffic and pedestrians at all junctions. There are two toll bridges charging 30 and 35 INR.

NH60: At Kharagpur, I had to keep straight and avoid the flyover going left. This continues as NH60. This road is even better, since most of the traffic had vanished. Occasionally, a couple of AP trucks could be seen. There is one toll booth, that charged 30 INR.

At Jaleshwar border, a row of trucks blocked the way, but as advised, I ventured into the opposite lane. A makeshift toll booth charged 40, but I was happy for not having to pay the dreaded tax for non OR vehicles.

It was a freeway from there, with traffic free to move in both directions in both the lanes. We were greeted by some 21 sets of speed breakers (the little ones in sets of 5) that irritate the hell out of you and your car!

NH5: NH60 merged with NH5, and there's a lot of construction going on with umpteen diversions. Roads in Baleshwar town are full of potholes, and the hamlet of Chandipur is witnessing some construction; so other than highways, roads are bad.

Thanks to Team-bhp, I was able to plan the trip better.

Last edited by aroop : 7th March 2011 at 14:09.