Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries

Old 1st September 2011, 14:31   #16
BHPian

This is a good suggestion. Have always got stuck in the railway bridge under construction. Any idea about the road conditions now ? Was not great when i travelled in June.
KrisSree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th October 2011, 23:13   #17
BHPian

Default Re: Route suggestions and Road Conditions - Hyderabad to Goa.

Done Hyderabad - Goa - Hyderabad in my Scorpio between 05.10.2011 & 09.10.2011. This was my first drive to Goa.

Hyderabad - Goa , i took the following route
Hyderabad Zaheerabad - Humnabad- Gulbargah- Jewargi- Bijapur (halt) - Kagwad - Chikkodi- Nidasoshi - Sankeshwar (NH4 underpass) - Gadhingalaj - Ajra - Amboli- Sawantwadi- Mapusa- Baga.

Distance : 743 KM.

Hyderabad - Humnabad : Good surface with occasional rough patches and pot holes.
Humnabad- Gulbargah- Jewargi-Bijapur: Real bliss to drive. Apart from frequent speed breakers, encountered few rough patches while passing through villages. Speeds of 100 + can be maintained
Bijapur - Athani- Kagwad - Sankeshwar(NH 4 underpass) : Almost zero traffic for most of the distance. Roads are a bit narrow for some distance between Bijapur and Atahni, but due to good surface and zero traffic, speeds of 80-100 kmph can be easily maintained. Look out for speed breakers before and after every village
Sankeshwar- Gadhingalaj- Ajra- Amboli- Sawantwadi - Banda - Mapusa: Look out for frequent rough patches and occasional pot holes. Good speeds can be maintained.Road is generally OK at Amboli ghat section. A short stretch after crossing the the waterfall, is not yet asphalted for about 100 meters. This is probably the location where landslide had earlier occurred and debris was cleared.
After 6- 7 km from Sawantwadi, one of the hairpin bends at the mini ghat section is eroded; and volvos are struggling because their front bumpers scrape the uneven road surface while descending. Expect traffic snarls / jams at this location.
Rest of the road strecth is generally OK, except for short stretches where road / bridge construction is going on.

Goa - Hyderabad, i took the follwoing route
Baga- Mapusa - Sawantwadi- Amboli - Ajra- Uttur- NH4 junction(8Km before Nippani)- Nippani- Kolhapur- Miraj- Sangola - Mangalwedha- Solapur ( halt) - Humnabad- Zaheerabad- Hyderabad
Distance : 766 KM
Road condition is horrible between Ajra - Uttur and upto NH4 junction near Nippani, avoid this route at all costs.

I should have travelled to Sankeshwar and joined NH4.

Kolhapur to Miraj was like a busy city street. Full of all sorts of traffic. very few oppurtunities for overtaking. But Road surface is good. Miraj to Sangola Raod surace not very good. Sangola to Solapur very good surface; and speeds of 100-110 can be maintained.

IMHO, the route which i took for my onward journey is currently a better option.

Last edited by Night_Hawk : 9th October 2011 at 23:13. Reason: typos
Night_Hawk is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 10th October 2011, 02:20   #18
BHPian

Hi Night Hawk,

Agree. The route you have taken is the best as of now. Heard that the road through Raichur doomed post rains and should be avoided.

Appreciate if you could give the timings per stretch, eateries en route et all. Also please advice whether the sign boards are available through the entire route - English ones since am yet to learn Telugu..

From Hyd.. Did you take the ORR to Patancheru or did the conventional path.

Cheers!
KrisSree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th October 2011, 00:15   #19
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by KrisSree View Post
Hi Night Hawk,

Appreciate if you could give the timings per stretch, eateries en route et all. Also please advice whether the sign boards are available through the entire route - English ones since am yet to learn Telugu..

From Hyd.. Did you take the ORR to Patancheru or did the conventional path.

Cheers!
Approx timings are available in the attached excel sheet.

Most of the signboards in Karnataka are in Kannada and in Marathi in Maharashtra. Occasionally you will find the sign boards in English too.

Bothways, out and into Hyderabad I took the route via Lingampally and joined / exited NH 9 at BHEL. This is a convinient option from the place where I reside.
Attached Files
File Type: xlsx Timings.xlsx (10.3 KB, 524 views)
Night_Hawk is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 11th October 2011, 15:58   #20
MDe
BHPian

@Nigh_Hawk : The first option looks better and also took an hour less based on the calculations from the excel sheet.

I am searching the route on google maps. It will be great if you could also give a breakup of KMs between location against the time that you took for getting a better idea. In any case, this is very helpful information
MDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th October 2011, 08:54   #21
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Night_Hawk
Road condition is horrible between Ajra - Uttur and upto NH4 junction near Nippani, avoid this route at all costs.

I should have travelled to Sankeshwar and joined NH4.

IMHO, the route which i took for my onward journey is currently a better option.
Alternately, continue on NH17 (either via Banda - Savantwadi or via Vengurla) up to Kankavli and then take the Phonda ghat route to Kolhapur and join NH4 at Kolhapur itself. The Phonda route is really beautiful and sees very little traffic. Kolhapur doesn't have a bypass, though. If you know your way through town it takes 15-20 mins.

But it's good to see that the Belgaum - Raichur and Sankeshwar - Bijapur etc. circuits are in good condition. With KA roads I feel it's always hit or miss and conditions change rapidly and drastically.

Regards,
spadix
spadix is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 13th October 2011, 09:20   #22
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by KrisSree View Post
Hi Night Hawk,

Agree. The route you have taken is the best as of now. Heard that the road through Raichur doomed post rains and should be avoided.
Is the Raichur-Hungund-Bagalkot-Belgaum road in bad condition now? A month or so ago, it was in good shape.

Night Hawk, how do you rate the Raichur route in comparison with the excellent Bijapur route that you have taken? Are there too many turn offs, poor signages and places where you can get confused or lost?
hvkumar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th October 2011, 09:51   #23
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by spadix View Post
Alternately, continue on NH17 (either via Banda - Savantwadi or via Vengurla) up to Kankavli and then take the Phonda ghat route to Kolhapur and join NH4 at Kolhapur itself.
Regards,
spadix
After going through your informative TL on your recent Goa Trip, i initially thought of driving through Phonda Ghat on my return journey. But i gave up the idea after recollecting Kolhapur city driving complications mentioned in your TL

Quote:
Originally Posted by hvkumar View Post
Night Hawk, how do you rate the Raichur route in comparison with the excellent Bijapur route that you have taken? Are there too many turn offs, poor signages and places where you can get confused or lost?
Sir, I have travelled Hydereabad -Raichur - Gangawati - Hampi in the Month of April'2011. Raichur to Gangawati was buttersmooth then. Not aware of the current condition on Raichur route.
Bijapur route is not confusing at all. Adequate signages are avaialble.
My return journey was via Kolhapur - Miraj - Solapur- Hyderabad. Road conditions are good except for few stretches.
The advantage on Bijapur route is the sparse traffic which will save an hour on Hyderabad - Goa timings; and of course the sightseeing at Bijapur if one is interested.
Night_Hawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th October 2011, 09:57   #24
BHPian

Agree Night Hawk. However, if someone is travelling to south Goa, then the Raichur-Gangawathi-Hubli-Karwar route can be better as the Sawanthwadi to Madgoan traffic is high.

I fact I am taking the above route on next Thu as I am booked into Holiday Inn. I will update the route condition once I reach.
prabingade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th October 2011, 11:07   #25
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by prabingade View Post
Agree Night Hawk. However, if someone is travelling to south Goa, then the Raichur-Gangawathi-Hubli-Karwar route can be better as the Sawanthwadi to Madgoan traffic is high.

I fact I am taking the above route on next Thu as I am booked into Holiday Inn. I will update the route condition once I reach.
You are right, if the destination is south Goa then your planned route can be a better option.

Anyways, check on the current conditions of Gangawathi - Hubli stretch as you intend drive by night.

If you travel to north Goa, avoid taking scorpio or other bigger vehicles for local travel on narrow choked streets of Calangute and Baga; especially in the late evenings. The season has started; and the traffic jams and parking problems are a pain beyond expression.

Looking forward for your updates.

Last edited by Night_Hawk : 13th October 2011 at 11:09.
Night_Hawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th October 2011, 13:49   #26
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Night_Hawk View Post
After going through your informative TL on your recent Goa Trip, i initially thought of driving through Phonda Ghat on my return journey. But i gave up the idea after recollecting Kolhapur city driving complications mentioned in your TL

Yeah - I'll recommend it only if one is familiar with Kolhapur town. If that is the case, crossing the town hardly takes 15-20 mins.

Otherwise, it is a royal pain.

That said, Ashish Pallod has suggested (Getting out of the comfort zone: Hyderabad - Goa - Hyderabad) a "bypass".

Quote:
Originally Posted by Night_Hawk View Post
If you travel to north Goa, avoid taking scorpio or other bigger vehicles for local travel on narrow choked streets of Calangute and Baga; especially in the late evenings. The season has started; and the traffic jams and parking problems are a pain beyond expression.
+1

And there was this Cayenne that was going up and down the Calangute - Baga road multiple times one evening. The entry to Tito's Lane was closed at that time. I'm sure he must've had a *hard* time trying to find a place to park!

Regards,
spadix
spadix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th October 2011, 14:00   #27
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by spadix View Post
Thats a good one. I missed reading that.
Also need to note that Nipani-Radhanagari road is not mentioned/marked on Google maps.

But it is very well marked in MMI maps.
ampere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th October 2011, 21:29   #28
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hvkumar View Post
Is the Raichur-Hungund-Bagalkot-Belgaum road in bad condition now? A month or so ago, it was in good shape.

Dear HVK,

80% of the road is in good condition, the roads from Raichur till Belgaum is also in great shape. The bad stretch is between Bhootpur and Raichur, where there are potholes and also certain stretches were the upper layer of asphalt is missing. My friend had travelled from Hyd to Panjim during Puja holidays and he gave me this feedback. From Night_Hawk's post note that the end to end stretch was not bad at all.

Cheers!!
KrisSree is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 10th April 2012, 20:28   #29

Hi to All.

Am new here and this is my first post...kindly excuse any mistakes.

Am just back from Goa.

Wanted to update everyone about the route.

Vehicle - Skoda Yeti

Passengers : Couple with two kids and a Pet Dog.

Route :

Hyderabad - Sholapur - Kohlapur - Belgaum - Sawantwadi - Amboli - Goa.

Total Distance 820 Km from house to hotel.

Road Condition : Hyderabad Sholapur---National Highway. Good Road

Sholapur - Kohlapur ---went through Sholapur town and took inner roads to Kohlapur. That road ultimately connects to the Highway from Pandharpur to Kohlapur, but is longer. Inner roads were good though narrow- 2 lanes.

Kohlapur to Belgaum --- Part of Golden Quadrilateral. Excellent

Belgaum - Sawantwadi - Amboli - Goa -----Good Road

Total time : 0745 departure from Trimulgherry, Hyderabad
2230 Checkin at hotel in Calangute
Amateurdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th August 2014, 14:09   #30

Hi guys...I know this is an old thread but I hope some of you may have done the Hyderabad to Goa journey recently. I'm riding from Goa to Hyderabad next month and was thinking of taking the Ponda-Hubli-Koppal-Raichur-Hyderabad route. Can somebody advice me on the condition of this route and any better alternative if there is. Thanks!
Crazygoan is offline   Reply With Quote