Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries

Old 21st October 2016, 19:44   #631
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Default Re: Driving between Bangalore and Mysore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midas View Post
I'm wondering why everyone is describing Mysore Road (SH-17) as notorious, bad etc. I started following this thread very recently and couldn't get the context.

I drove through Mysore Road 5-6 times so far and found it to be okay. Is it because of the need for frequent overtakes? Probably my experiences were not during peak hours or I'm so much used to the very frustrating Bangalore traffic that anything else seems good.
To a large extent these are due to individual opinions and perceptions but it also seems that a large number of members on the forum did think Mysore road was painful , To each his own!
If you haven't found Mysore Road to be bad in 5-6 drives, you probably got plain lucky or you chose a great time to travel!
If you have a preference for the route, you may just want to continue with it.

Many folks here also get bored of the 4 lane roads over time and for want of better scenic, old-fashioned routes they use the Kanakapura route or other alternatives.

That said, in my personal experience especially during holidays and weekends, the entire route usually has mindless traffic like what we see inside Bangalore and I would try my level best to avoid that kind of traffic. Add lots of village traffic on 2 wheelers and bullock carts and you get the picture. The speed humps used to be a bane but now they're lesser in number and easier to tackle.

Last edited by NPV : 21st October 2016 at 20:00.
NPV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st October 2016, 19:47   #632
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: Driving between Bangalore and Mysore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midas View Post
I'm wondering why everyone is describing Mysore Road (SH-17) as notorious, bad etc.
Foremost is the lack of two-wheeler lane. So to overtake any 2 wheeler, you have to change over to fast lane. You will find plenty of two-wheeler riders in this stretch.
Secondly, it is 4 lane divided road. Since the traffic is high, any slow moving vehicle will hold up traffic, overtaking maneuvers requires planning. It must be at least 6 lane divided road with two wheeler lane.
Thirdly, the bypass for the towns are now themselves are as busy as city centers. With their myriad signals, speed breakers slow down the high way traffic.
Add to this mix is the regular traffic indiscipline seen on Indian roads, which makes everyone's blood boil. Note that driving during off peaks hours negates all these factors & driving is bliss.

This road is being upgraded to 6 lane, toll road. Hopefully, the travel times might improve then.

Last edited by msdivy : 21st October 2016 at 19:48.
msdivy is offline   Reply With Quote