Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries

Old 25th February 2011, 13:55   #16
BHPian

Default Re: Munnar, Kemmangundi or Chickmagalur for a 3 days trip?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
You really want him to miss this road?

Some views from this road:

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/travel...ml#post1117952 (River Tern Jungle Lodge, Kemmanugundi and then some…)

Besides, to go to Mullaiangiri, he has to take this route. Some shots that route too: http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/travel...lur-belur.html (A long weekend trip to Chikmagalur and Belur)

Also, Belur is barely 20kms away from CKM.
This is the problem with you guys. You take such nice photos and put them up here, making me think why I didn't buy an SUV .

Jokes apart, those are some nice photos. I wish I will be able to do it someday. But, right now, I don't want to cause any damage to my beauty. BTW, thanks for sharing these links.
praz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th February 2011, 15:03   #17
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anandg View Post
Is it safe to drive in night on these route? Just asking so as to save daytime.
NO! I suggest you not to take Chickmagalur - Kaimara - Atthigundi - Mullaiangiri - Kemmangundi during night. Its a deserted route. You don't find much vehicles ply even during the day.

I suggest you to halt at Chickmagalur and start early morning for the scenic drive.
CRV2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th February 2011, 15:37   #18
BHPian

Praz,

Chickmagalur - Kaimara - Atthigundi - Mullaiangiri - Kemmangundi

Don't ever take this route in your Punto. I took my Punto in this route last year, and believe me it was one of the most treacherous drives I've ever done. I see Samurai has done it in his GV, but doing it in a Punto, which I did, is really not worth the effort. I lost count on how many times my car bottemed out on that particular route. I would simply say, don't even dream that route with your Punto. PM me if you want to know my entire experience on this route :o(

Last edited by CliffHanger : 25th February 2011 at 15:41.
CliffHanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th February 2011, 17:44   #19
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CliffHanger View Post
Praz,

Don't ever take this route in your Punto. I took my Punto in this route last year, and believe me it was one of the most treacherous drives I've ever done. I see Samurai has done it in his GV, but doing it in a Punto, which I did, is really not worth the effort. I lost count on how many times my car bottemed out on that particular route. I would simply say, don't even dream that route with your Punto. PM me if you want to know my entire experience on this route :o(
Thanks, man. Now that you have made it clear that this route is horrible, I am not even going to think about it. I guess you've had a pretty bad experience and I don't even want to hear that sad story. Otherwise, I hope you are doing fine. Hey, how about a meet in March? Let me know so that I can plan in advance.
Old 25th February 2011, 18:53   #20
BHPian

Quote:
Praz,

I don't think its impossible, i did this route two times last year in Santro
CRV2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th February 2011, 21:12   #21
Team-BHP Support

Best would be once you halt at CKM, I would say give Punto a halt as well.
Hire a jeep and go around to the hills.

Belur/Helebid can be done in your own car on the way to/back.

Last edited by ampere : 25th February 2011 at 21:13.
ampere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th February 2011, 23:17   #22
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRV2010 View Post
I don't think its impossible, i did this route two times last year in Santro
Santro has a better GC than Punto..This is one of the routes which made me realize that even a few mm difference in GC can really be a boon or pain.. I was literally maintaining a speed of less than 10km/hr after crossing mullainagiri and everytime the speedo reading increased by 1 my friends made a huge cheer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by praz View Post
Thanks, man. Now that you have made it clear that this route is horrible, I am not even going to think about it. I guess you've had a pretty bad experience and I don't even want to hear that sad story. Otherwise, I hope you are doing fine. Hey, how about a meet in March? Let me know so that I can plan in advance.
Praz, I'm doing good. Thanks. I will not be available on the last two weekends of March. Travelling to Cochin and Vaalpaarai on respective weekends. So we can meet either on the first or second weekend. Probably we can think of driving to some place. Keep me updated with your plans.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
Best would be once you halt at CKM, I would say give Punto a halt as well.
Hire a jeep and go around to the hills.

Belur/Helebid can be done in your own car on the way to/back.
OT:
Ampere, just saw your thread on your fusion. Learnt that you have started as a noob, now looking at your posts and the details you provide, it really amazes how much you have learnt since you started driving. I would like to thank you again and bow in respect for the help and guidance you have been rendering to the fellow bhpians.
CliffHanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th February 2011, 12:09   #23
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
OT:
Ampere, just saw your thread on your fusion. Learnt that you have started as a noob, now looking at your posts and the details you provide, it really amazes how much you have learnt since you started driving. I would like to thank you again and bow in respect for the help and guidance you have been rendering to the fellow bhpians.
Thank you for the kind words sir! In fact it amazes me too to realize that from being a person who only walked and cycled; who still does not know, how to ride a bike, and who had no idea about cars 4 years back and did not even feel interested, I have done a volte-face!
ampere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th February 2011, 19:57   #24
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fauji View Post
Why don't you look at the option of visiting Malnad by making Tirthahalli as a base? It is least explored and has everything - Piligrimage, Heritage, mountains, waterfalls, Wild life etc. It is a comfortable drive of 6 hours
Fauji : that's super fast man. I take about 7 hours at decent pace.
airguitar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th February 2011, 17:10   #25
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRV2010 View Post
NO! I suggest you not to take Chickmagalur - Kaimara - Atthigundi - Mullaiangiri - Kemmangundi during night. Its a deserted route. You don't find much vehicles ply even during the day.

I suggest you to halt at Chickmagalur and start early morning for the scenic drive.
Quote:
Thanks, man. Now that you have made it clear that this route is horrible, I am not even going to think about it...
Praz, I will not deny that this stretch is one of the worst stretches of road you'll ever drive on, but, I would still suggest you to take this road as this is one of the most scenic road I have been on. Samurai's pictures are ample proof of that. I would suggest you to start early from Chikmagalur, visit Mullaianagiri and start off to Kemmangundi. The initial part of the road is good (maybe 15-20 kms) and only then it gets worse. The bad roads could be for about 30 kms (approx.).

Go to Kemmangundi via this road, visit Mullaianagiri on the way, reach Kemmangundi by afternoon (take your time), relax for a bit and take the other route while coming back.

So, your route will look like CKM-Kaimara-Mullaianagiri-Attigundi-Kemmangundi-Lingadahalli-Kaimara-CKM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sushrutha View Post
Well Samurai San, As I have mentioned earlier in my post, It's one the MOST SCENIC ROAD I have encontered, it definetely is.

But the good thing about this road was it gas getting repaired in someparts, but definetely not in the BHADRA WILDLIFE limits.
The road has been freshly relaid upto Kavikalgandi. This is the place where you cross over to the other side of the mountain
addyhemmige is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th February 2011, 22:24   #26
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
1. Is March a good time to visit this place?
While you would seldom experience rain this time of the year in chikmagalur, the greenery cover would definitely be richer during the post-monsoon season- say october - november.

Quote:
2. Other places of interest around this area
Belur & Halebid temples between chikmagalur and Hassan, Mullayanagiri peak, one waterfall in Kemmannugundi I think that was Kalhatti falls. Kudremukh is also closeby to Chikmagalur

Quote:
3. Accomodations/hotels/homestays (should allow bachelors ) to check out
Try to stay at a coffee estate homestay. Most of the homestays in Chikmagalur region allow bachelors to stay. Make sure you book well in advance since most of them have just 2-3 rooms on offer for visitors I think I stayed at a place called 'the Hidden Valley', if i remember correctly
KarthikK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st March 2011, 11:24   #27
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by KarthikK View Post
While you would seldom experience rain this time of the year in chikmagalur.
Not exactly, It rained pretty much (around 1.5" of rain) in my place last Thursday. You never know, same applies to Bangalore too

Quote:
Kudremukh is also closeby to Chikmagalur
Kudremukha is 90kms from Chikmagalur
Quote:
Try to stay at a coffee estate homestay. Most of the homestays in Chikmagalur region allow bachelors to stay. Make sure you book well in advance since most of them have just 2-3 rooms on offer for visitors
I agree, With not many Lodges in CKM town, homestays are the best place to stay in CKM.
sushrutha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st March 2011, 11:39   #28
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Not exactly, It rained pretty much (around 1.5" of rain) in my place last Thursday.
Whoa! that's quite a lot!

Quote:
Kudremukha is 90kms from Chikmagalur
Oops.. my bad

I think I had done Kudremukh as a 1 day morning-evening trip keeping Chikmagalur as the base. May not be possible to combine with anything else on the same day so that can be ruled out
Old 1st March 2011, 11:44   #29
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by KarthikK View Post
Try to stay at a coffee estate homestay. Most of the homestays in Chikmagalur region allow bachelors to stay. Make sure you book well in advance since most of them have just 2-3 rooms on offer for visitors I think I stayed at a place called 'the Hidden Valley', if i remember correctly
Can you give me more details about this place like cost, location etc.? Please PM me if you have the contact numbers.

Quote:
I agree, With not many Lodges in CKM town, homestays are the best place to stay in CKM.
Will look out for homestays then. Also, we are on a tight budget now, as some people have dropped out. The initial plan was to stay at homestays/resorts throughout the trip. Now, we are looking at other places around CKM like Shimoga where we can find some cheaper accomodation. We will stay one night in CKM and then move on to some cheaper options elsewhere. Any pointers on this??
Old 1st March 2011, 11:54   #30
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Can you give me more details about this place like cost, location etc.? Please PM me if you have the contact numbers.
I have PMed you their website, along with 2 other homestays' sites. The hidden valley was in the chikmagalur - Aldur stretch next to Handi market. Cost was 1500 per head per day including food, accomodation and usage of facilities. PM me in case you need any more info