Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries

Old 1st March 2011, 21:29   #16
Default Re: Rameshwaram to Kanyakumari Streach

Originally Posted by hvkumar View Post

The temple-hopping trip plan sounds exciting. I wonder if you have seen the website where someone has made a GPS map, marked all the temples in South India (especially TN).
I have seen this definitely in the forum and found it very useful, but didn't bookmark. Need to spend some time searching and surely bookmark.

prasad14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd March 2011, 16:13   #17

Originally Posted by hvkumar View Post
NH49 between Madurai & Rameswaram is good.
ECR between Ramanathapuram & Tuticorin is fantastic.
South of Tuticorin, upto Tiruchendur, the road sees lots of traffic but road is good.
After Tiruchendur, road is decent but in between has some bad sections and the road is also twisty, but traffic is light. I think it is not a bad idea to continue on ECR all the way to KK instead of taking a detour back to NH7 at Tirunelveli since NH7A is also being widened.
During our 20 days family south road trip in last summer, for Rameswaram-KK, we took the route mentioned above by HVK sir i.e. via Tuticorin on ECR. We enjoyed the drive. As mentioned above, after Trichendur, road is very curvey, little bumpy at times, little narrow in width then normal 2lane road, but, with very little traffic. We passed this stretch in dark after sunset. We started from Rameswaram at 4.35 pm and reached KK at 10.30 pm with a fuel and tea break. So total 6 hrs.

Prior to that, for Madurai-Rameswaram, NH49 is very good, we left Madurai at 5.05pm and reached Mandapam at 8.05pm. So for Rameswaram, it'd take 3.5 hrs from Madurai.

Details of this stretch can be found at our travelogue (following link) on pages 6-7.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/travel...tigress-6.html (We dreamt it, we did it - Our 20 days family road trip to South in Black Tigress)
LongDrive lover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th March 2011, 17:20   #18

Hi All

Am planning a trip from Chennai to Thiruchendur and possibly Kanyakumari and want to include ECR in the mix of things.
1. How many days required
2. What can be covered on which day - would like to cover many temples.

Cheers !
polopm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th March 2011, 21:06   #19

If your target is temples in Southern TN, 3-4 days is enough
Day 1 - Chennai to Tirunelveli via Trichy, Madurai + Tirunelveli Temples
Day 2 - NavaTirupathi Temples + Tiruchendoor Temple + Take ECR to Kanyakumari
Day 3 - Kanyakumari Sightseeing + Back to Chennai

If you have more budget, other places worth watching are
-Suseendram near Kanyakumari
-Uvari/Manapad Churches on ECR between Kanyakumari & Tiruchendoor
-SankaranKoil, Papanasam, Kutralam, Tenkasi, Srivilliputhur to the west of Tirunelveli
ramanan.skr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th March 2011, 14:54   #20

@Sumanth, Have you already done your trip? I am planning to do a similar one from Trichy to Rameshwaram to Kanyakumari and back this friday. If you are back from your trip, pl advice on the road conditions and what should be followed, will be a great help for me.
saugdas is offline   Reply With Quote