Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries

Old 4th March 2011, 16:02   #1
BHPian

Default Pune to Delhi route : GQ or NH3?

Hi, which is the fastest and safest? Driving solo in laura. starting at night and intending to reach late next night.
Please suggest and advice.
vipul_bscity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th March 2011, 16:12   #2
BHPian

Default re: Pune to Delhi route : GQ or NH3?

Quote:
Originally Posted by vipul_bscity View Post
Hi, which is the fastest and safest? Driving solo in laura. starting at night and intending to reach late next night.
IMHO , The GQ makes much more sense ( most of the roads being 4/6 lanes and speedy traffic except for regular long lines @ toll booths ) . I have been using this to drive to Jaipur for long now and completely happy .

The only negative is a lot of toll that you need to shred out .
Also the availability of Food joints / dhabas etc on the highways are rare until you enter rajasthan border .

BTW , on second thoughts you may want to reconsider the timelines as it almost take 22 hrs to reach Jaipur from Pune , with almost zero breaks ( just 1 dinner break and some tea breaks ) .

Last edited by jealousdiamond : 4th March 2011 at 16:15.
jealousdiamond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th March 2011, 16:16   #3
Senior - BHPian

Go via Bombay and NH8. That is fastest and best.
If you are starting at night from Pune, please try to start as early as possible because truck traffic from Thane towards Surat is very high after midnight. If you are able to hit NH8 at Ghodbunder by 9 pm, you are guaranteed a fast and less-traffic drive. Please note that if you are bypassing Bombay, take the Kalambli-Belapur-Turbhe-Vashi-Mankhurd-Ghatkopar-Mulund-Thane route since the Turbhe-Airoli-Mulund route gets coked up with trucks late evenings.

Why not NH3?
You will have a messy drive on NH50 till Nashik.
MH-MP border roads are in shambles thanks to widening and NH3 further north beyond Indore are not great anyway.
Further, you have to contend with chaotic traffic through Gwalior and Agra cities.

If you are fast driver, doing Pune-Delhi in 24 hours is not difficult.
Please note to duck traffic jams before the River Narmada Bridge between Ankleshwar & Bharuch.

You may like to refer the attached file which is a detailed route plan I made for someone who is driving Bangalore to Delhi via Pune & Bombay.
Attached Files
File Type: xls BomChickMysBandiCoorgBlrBom-Pankaj.xls (52.0 KB, 1300 views)

Last edited by hvkumar : 4th March 2011 at 16:22.
hvkumar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th March 2011, 16:48   #4
BHPian

Many Thanks Kumar and @jeodayalousdiamond.

I am decided on GQ. Today while looking at Google Map, it does not show up GQ for this. It always shows NH3, so just thought of. I am carrying a MapMyIndia which can help me out around NH8-NH76 route etc.

I am targeting max 24 - 27 hrs. I was intending to start around 8 PM, but on Kumar's suggestions on evening truck traffic, I will start a bit early. I am starting tomorrow evening.

Regards,
Vipul
Old 4th March 2011, 16:57   #5
BHPian

^^ Just a few words more from my end :

Its better you leave Pune around early morning hours (4:00 - 5:00 ) to avoid traffic jams . I would still say its not impossible doing that in day but its a bit tiring with a single driver driving alone .

Also as you cross Udaipur , do remember to take the bypass from Nathdwara then again the Bhilwara bypass to head staright to Jaipur ( you would avoid some single lane highways that ways )

Just a humble advice , do take rests at regular intervals and don't stretch yourself .

Last edited by jealousdiamond : 4th March 2011 at 16:59.
jealousdiamond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th March 2011, 17:05   #6
BHPian

Quote:
I would advice GQ. Its a very good stretch. I too did this twice in my M800. Enjoyed the most on this stretch while driving solo.

Start early in the morining. Say by 4.30 - 5.00am. Reach Mumbai by 7.00am. Have break fast on the e-way itself.
From Mumbai reach Ahmedabad by evening 7.00pm latest.
This stretch is a mixture of both 4 way and 6 way.
Take a break at Ahmedabad/Vadodara for a good night sleep(Which ever your reach by this time. I feel you can reach Ahemdabad easily as your companion is Laura) .
Again, start early in Ahmedabad around 5.00 am. Reach Jaipur by 6.00 pm. This stretch is mostly 4 way or 6 way. and then reach Delhi in the late evening around 9.00pm. This stretch is 4 way.

I would not suggest/ encourage driving in night. Not for doubts on our driving skills, but on the risk of facing other drunken drivers as soon as you leave Ahemdabad. Remember Gujarat is a dry state. Hence many drivers may have a drink after crossing the border.

You will face a lot of traffic in Mumbai - Surat stretch. Still the road widening is going on I guess. Hence try to cover this in the day light as much as possible.
Carry food ( Biscuits/ choclates/ waffers/ Juices/ Water) in plenty while leaving Ahmedabad. Very few good food joints are visible on the stretch from Ahmedabad to Jaipur. ( May be they have opened new ones now. I am not updated).

And as already quoted by our jealousdiamond, there are lots of tolls on this GQ. I paid around around 650 bucks, if I am not wrong, in total from Alwar to Pune.

On the other hand, the NH 3 is still not that long drive friendly as I heared. Even the food joints are less and the road condition itself is very poor. Don't know If it improved now.

Good luck and do post a travelogue with your laura.
Have a safe drive.
Maverick79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th March 2011, 17:32   #7
v&v
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I am targeting max 24 - 27 hrs. I was intending to start around 8 PM, but on Kumar's suggestions on evening truck traffic, I will start a bit early. I am starting tomorrow evening.
Doable in around 25 hrs , post 20 hrs , driving fatigue will set in and you will be in jaipur - delhi stretch. Road widening + high traffic in last 100 kms. Its always advisable to take a break in jaipur. Start to delhi early morning, when traffic is least.
All the best and drive safe.
v&v is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th March 2011, 22:00   #8
BHPian

GMaps shows there is a route from Nashik to Valsad, looks like a SH. Is there any road present there as nobody ever had mentioned about this route as per my knowledge?
ramanan.skr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th March 2011, 22:10   #9
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramanan.skr View Post
GMaps shows there is a route from Nashik to Valsad, looks like a SH. Is there any road present there as nobody ever had mentioned about this route as per my knowledge?
From Nashik, you can go via Saputara to Valsad, Chikli or Surat, all on NH8. This is a narrow 2-laned road which comes down the ghats through thick jungles. Road is currently good, but takes a beating during rainy season. Route is a not advised because Pune-Nashik is 2-laned and quite slow and rest of route is also very slow. Moreover, not being a GQ-NH, signages are poor, there are no bypasses and chances of getting misdirected or lost are high for someone who is not experienced in this route.
Old 4th March 2011, 22:11   #10
Senior - BHPian

Jaipur -> Delhi would be the worst section of the whole route.
Don't do it one shot. Better to stop @ Jaipur and start fresh next morning.

Last edited by kpzen : 4th March 2011 at 22:16.
kpzen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th March 2011, 22:43   #11
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hvkumar View Post
Go via Bombay and NH8.
If you are fast driver, doing Pune-Delhi in 24 hours is not difficult.
Totally agree! Compared to GQ, NH3 is about 180km shorter, but the time and safety factors on NH3 combine to make the journey a lot more tedious and time-consuming. @1630 km is the distance, and Delhi - Pune is doable in <20hours in a Laura if you are used to such a spell.

Edit: You really want to do a 24-hour spell at the wheel? It's not easy - I hope you've tried it before. And doing it alone is a lot tougher than in company - HVK, you'll agree, I presume.
Quote:
Aim to enter Delhi before 8pm, and you will face less headaches with the truck traffic. The office traffic would be negligible, it being a Sunday when you drive in.

Last edited by SS-Traveller : 4th March 2011 at 22:50.
SS-Traveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th March 2011, 10:20   #12
BHPian

Thanks a lot friends for all the valuable inputs. Will post few lines of my experience when I come back next week.

Cheers !!
Old 5th March 2011, 12:35   #13
Senior - BHPian

As SS-Traveller says, you need a lot of determination and stamina to last a full 24 hours behind the wheel. The secret here to completing the journey in as short time as possible is to limit your halts for food and optimise on timings in specific sector. e.g. Bombay-Ahmedabad is best done in the early afternoon of late evening. Jaipur-DElhi sees least traffic in the afternoon, and so on.
Old 6th March 2011, 20:09   #14
BHPian

Default Re: Pune to Delhi route : GQ or NH3?

Reached Delhi.
Started pune@ 11AM, reached Greater Noida @ 3 15 PM next day.
Total trip time - 28 hrs 15 min. Out of that;
puncture(twice) and tyre change time = 1 Hr
stop fr food fuel= 1 hr
sleep in car = 2 Hrs ( 5 am to 7 am)

total stop time is 4 hr.
Total time on wheel driving is 24 hr 15 min.
Distance covered is 1680km.
Average fuel consumption is 5.2 lt/ 100 km.
Route taken GQ - NH 76- NH 79 - GQ.

Now the bad;
- az soon as you come out of Mumbai till Surat its a diversion every may be 5-7 km. They are making all elevated roads etc again. So bad drive.
- From Surat till Ahmedabad ring road exit its all good. Ducked the narmada bridge also
be in the extreme left lane which is marked fr cars. Took me 15 min for this.
- Now NH.76, who said to take this road? Its non existant. I wondered I have taken wrong. But the road was that only.no roads. They making it digging, layering. It seems its all washed out before. Miserable drive. Hit a pappaya size stone at 2 30 midnight, got the sidewall of my front left raptured. Changed to spare tyre. Anyone any light on this NH 76.
- NH 79, super all the way till kishanghar where again touch GQ.
- Jaipur Manesar, pathatic. Six laning in progress. Seems to remain pathatic fr another 2 yr min.

Dear Kumar, any idea why cant I take GQ all along while going back. I am trying to find alternative to escape NH 76 by any means.

Mods: typing from phone so sorry if I miss some punctuation etc.
vipul_bscity is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 6th March 2011, 21:09   #15
Distinguished - BHPian

Default Re: Pune to Delhi route : GQ or NH3?

First, congratulations on completing the trip safely. 28 hours is decent timing, including sleep and food stops.

Hmm... are you sure you were on NH76? At what point did you turn right from the NH8? Do you remember seeing directions to the Udaipur Airport?

I don't think NH76 is in that bad a state as you describe. There used to be a point at the changeover from NH76 to NH79 which was bad (about 2 km), but that has also been taken care of with flyovers in the last year or so (though signage was a little confusing when I was there in June '10).

If you take the NH8 back, between Kishangarh & Udaipur the NH8 continues to be the old single-track undivided highway. Plus, there is heavy truck traffic on this route, with huge trailers carrying loads of marble from the quarries in the area. These trucks run very slow on the hilly sections here, and slow you down due to lack of overtaking space.

I would still suggest you redo a run on NH79-NH76 on your way back, preferably in daylight.
SS-Traveller is offline   Reply With Quote