Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 6th March 2011, 08:58   #1
BHPian
 
sumannandy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 691
Thanked: 210 Times
Default Kodaikanal - Munnar - Waynad route queries

We are planning for a drive this week to Kodaikanal, Munnar and Waynad.

Bangalore to Kodaikanal and Waynad to Bangalore would be the standard routes. But what is the best option for

1. Kodaikanal to Kalpetta
- Google map shows Palani - Palakkad- Mannarkad - Manjeri-Mokkram-Kalpetta
- Palani - Palakkad- Charplassary - Manjeri-Mokkram-Kalpetta
- Kodaikanal - Coimbatore - Ooty - kalpetta

In case we decide to go through Munnar, what would be the best option for Munnar to Waynad?

Instead of going to Waynad, we would be willing to go to any other nearby places where we could enjoy backwaters. Please suggest.

Road condition and safety would be of great concern to us. I do not like to drive on bad roads. Also I would be traveling with family and girls, so safety would be a big concern for us.

Thanks in advance.
sumannandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th March 2011, 09:57   #2
Senior - BHPian
 
KarthikK's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 1,918
Thanked: 3,495 Times
Default Re: Kodaikanal - Munnar - Waynad route queries

Quote:
Originally Posted by sumannandy View Post

Instead of going to Waynad, we would be willing to go to any other nearby places where we could enjoy backwaters. Please suggest.
Alleppey backwaters are close to Cochin (around 60-70 km). This would be something you could try out. Houseboat packages are pretty popular in Alleppey. Kumarakom is another option.
KarthikK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th March 2011, 11:01   #3
Team-BHP Support
 
ampere's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 15,605
Thanked: 8,600 Times
Default Re: Kodaikanal - Munnar - Waynad route queries

Kodai-Waynad

There are two main options. One via Kerala and the other via Ooty. Both have good and bad points. Kerala route would be denser, while Ooty route is through ghats.


Ooty Option:

Kodai-Palani-Dharapuram-Avinashi-Annur-Mettupalayam-Ooty-Gudalur-Meppadi-Kelpetta


Kodaikanal, Tamil Nadu to Kalpetta, Kerala - Google Maps


Kerala Option

Kodai-Palani-Udumalpet-Palakkad-Mannarkad-Melatoor-Manjeri-Unnikulam(NH212)-Kalpetta.


Kodaikanal, Tamil Nadu to Kalpetta, Kerala - Google Maps

But I am NOT sure which is route option from Manjeri to hit NH212. Others can comment on the same.


From Munnar

Munnar-Adimali-Kothamangalam - Muvattupuzha (NH49) - Angamaly (Via MC Road) - Trichur - Kunnakulam (via Guruvayur road/Choondal)-Kuttipuram (on to NH17) - Kozikode by-pass on the NH212 to Kalpetta.

Munnar to Kalpetta via NH49, MC Road, NH47, NH17 and NH212

Folks can comment on the road conditions.

Last edited by ampere : 6th March 2011 at 11:06.
ampere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th March 2011, 11:24   #4
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 1,088
Thanked: 586 Times
Default Re: Kodaikanal - Munnar - Waynad route queries

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
But I am NOT sure which is route option from Manjeri to hit NH212. Others can comment on the same.
The standard route from Manjeri to Kalpetta is via Areecode - Mukkam - Thamarassery and NH212 from there to Kalpetta. The Manjeri-Thamarassery stretch was known to be in decent shape when I heard last. Not sure of the ghat section between Thamarassery and Kalpetta, a few of the hairpin bends were still unrepaired when I travelled that way last (during New year time). But doable on a Sedan.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
From Munnar

Munnar-Adimali-Kothamangalam - Muvattupuzha (NH49) - Angamaly (Via MC Road) - Trichur - Kunnakulam (via Guruvayur road/Choondal)-Kuttipuram (on to NH17) - Kozikode by-pass on the NH212 to Kalpetta.

Folks can comment on the road conditions.
Interestingly Google Maps says Munnar to Kalpetta is shorter via Pollachi-Palakkad-Manjeri (by about 13 kms or so) though it claims it is likely to take 12 minutes longer. But I have a feeling this route might actually be faster too since the NH47-NH17-NH212 route has heavy traffic almost all the time compared to the Munnar-Udumalpet-Pollachi-Palakkad-Manjeri-Thamarassery route. (GM's timing estimates are generally quite a bit off anyway)
kala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th March 2011, 12:13   #5
Team-BHP Support
 
ampere's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 15,605
Thanked: 8,600 Times
Default Re: Kodaikanal - Munnar - Waynad route queries

Quote:
Originally Posted by kala View Post
Interestingly Google Maps says Munnar to Kalpetta is shorter via Pollachi-Palakkad-Manjeri (by about 13 kms or so) though it claims it is likely to take 12 minutes longer. But I have a feeling this route might actually be faster too since the NH47-NH17-NH212 route has heavy traffic almost all the time compared to the Munnar-Udumalpet-Pollachi-Palakkad-Manjeri-Thamarassery route. (GM's timing estimates are generally quite a bit off anyway)
Perfectly valid point. But why I did not recommend that route was because one has to add 3 hours of Ghat driving from Munnar to Udumalpet (90Km), along with rest of the stressful driving and then add to it the ghats near Waynad.

If one is willing to take that, its definitely a good option.
ampere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th March 2011, 12:35   #6
Senior - BHPian
 
hvkumar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 7,369
Thanked: 3,354 Times
Default Re: Kodaikanal - Munnar - Waynad route queries

If going from Kodai to Kalpetta, I would prefer the route via Palani, Pollachi, Palakkad & Manjeri. However, please check if the Kodai-Palani road is OK (it was closed for major repairs sometime ago). Pollachi-Palakkad road is good and you can bypass Palakkad town to get to Palakkad Junction and the Calicut road to go to Mannarkad.

From Manjeri, I would love to go via Nilambur to Naduvattam, Cherambai & Meppadi, that being a very scenic route.

If going from Munnar, the route via Udumalaipet (and from thereon the routes outlined via Pollachi) are better, since all routes through KL will mean facing heavy traffic by day.

Please ignore all timings computed by GM - India is not USA!
hvkumar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th March 2011, 14:22   #7
Team-BHP Support
 
ampere's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 15,605
Thanked: 8,600 Times
Default Re: Kodaikanal - Munnar - Waynad route queries

Quote:
Originally Posted by hvkumar View Post
From Manjeri, I would love to go via Nilambur to Naduvattam, Cherambai & Meppadi, that being a very scenic route.
As HVK said, the route via Nilambur is very scenic, green and twisty. And another good thing about that route via Meppadi is traffic would less dense compared to NH212.
ampere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th March 2011, 15:06   #8
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 1,088
Thanked: 586 Times
Default Re: Kodaikanal - Munnar - Waynad route queries

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
Perfectly valid point. But why I did not recommend that route was because one has to add 3 hours of Ghat driving from Munnar to Udumalpet (90Km), along with rest of the stressful driving and then add to it the ghats near Waynad.
Actually I've found driving on the Munnar-Marayoor-Udumalpet ghat section to be less stressful than the Munnar-Adimaly-Neriamangalam route in spite of the former being a narrower road (and probably slower too), may be because of the route being very scenic with not too much of traffic.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
As HVK said, the route via Nilambur is very scenic, green and twisty. And another good thing about that route via Meppadi is traffic would less dense compared to NH212.
Yes, the Nilambur-Vazhikkadavu-Nadugani-Meppadi-Kalpetta route is a pretty nice and scenic drive. But it would add about 35 kms to your distance and the Manjeri-Nilambur-Vazhikkadavu stretch (about 45 kms) has quite a bit of traffic - especially 2 and 3 wheelers because of the numerous small towns that it passes through. It can be quite frustrating to drive on that stretch during the day because the road is rather narrow, and overtaking opportunities limited.

Last edited by kala : 6th March 2011 at 15:17. Reason: Added response to a previous message
kala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th March 2011, 19:50   #9
BHPian
 
sumannandy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 691
Thanked: 210 Times
Default Re: Kodaikanal - Munnar - Waynad route queries

Thank you all fo rthe information. I would probably take the Nilambur route.

Let me know if you have any update on on Kodai-Palani.
sumannandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th March 2011, 09:55   #10
BHPian
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: bangalore, guda
Posts: 209
Thanked: 60 Times
Default Re: Kodaikanal - Munnar - Waynad route queries

Quote:
Originally Posted by sumannandy View Post
Thank you all fo rthe information. I would probably take the Nilambur route.

Let me know if you have any update on on Kodai-Palani.
Please note Kodaikanal - Palani route is still closed and you need to use the kodaikanal - batlagundu (Vatlagindu) Vadipatti Oddanchathiram to dharapuram or to palani route for your further travels.

The damage this time to the route is extensive and will remain closed through the april / may season as per locals opinion and may result in lesser flow of tourist traffic to Kodai.
Best regards
Bala
balan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th March 2011, 10:23   #11
Senior - BHPian
 
hvkumar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 7,369
Thanked: 3,354 Times
Default Re: Kodaikanal - Munnar - Waynad route queries

Quote:
Originally Posted by balan View Post
Please note Kodaikanal - Palani route is still closed and you need to use the kodaikanal - batlagundu (Vatlagindu) Vadipatti Oddanchathiram to dharapuram or to palani route for your further travels.

The damage this time to the route is extensive and will remain closed through the april / may season as per locals opinion and may result in lesser flow of tourist traffic to Kodai.
Best regards
Bala
That is what I had heard too, and mentioned before in this thread. Thanks for this update, bala.
hvkumar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th March 2011, 10:36   #12
Team-BHP Support
 
ampere's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 15,605
Thanked: 8,600 Times
Default Re: Kodaikanal - Munnar - Waynad route queries

Quote:
Originally Posted by hvkumar View Post
That is what I had heard too, and mentioned before in this thread. Thanks for this update, bala.
Then you need to come back to Dindigul via Batlagundu.
You should then take the NH209 all the way to Pollachi and continue as per what was discussed before.

Last edited by ampere : 7th March 2011 at 10:40.
ampere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th March 2011, 11:51   #13
Senior - BHPian
 
mallumowgli's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Palakkad/Coimbatore
Posts: 1,101
Thanked: 704 Times
Default Re: Kodaikanal - Munnar - Waynad route queries

The route suggested by Kala seems to be the best. To reach Manjeri from Mannarkad, take the right diversion off NH212 at Kumaranputhur. Road is decent till Manjeri and for around 6 kms beyond Manjeri. From then on it is bliss - well paved twisties with good run off areas on the Areecode-Mukkam- Tamarassery stretch. Tamarassery-Kalpetta Ghat section has been patched up, I heard. No recent first hand experience

One small update on the by-pass suggested by HVK below

Quote:
Originally Posted by hvkumar View Post
Pollachi-Palakkad road is good and you can bypass Palakkad town to get to Palakkad Junction and the Calicut road to go to Mannarkad.
Half of the above By-pass is closed for repair and the balance half is totally broken. Hence it is advisable to go through Palakkad town (take right turn at Sultanpet Junction). You may add 5 minutes to max 20 minutes depending on the time of the day at Sultanpet junction - peak hours being 9:30am to 11:00am and then 4:00pm to 7:00pm
mallumowgli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th March 2011, 14:42   #14
BANNED
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 813
Thanked: 220 Times
Default Re: Kodaikanal - Munnar - Waynad route queries

Quote:
Originally Posted by sumannandy View Post
Thank you all fo rthe information. I would probably take the Nilambur route.

Let me know if you have any update on on Kodai-Palani.
Kodai Palani route is not completely closed, my sister and family traveled this route on 3rd March uphill and on 5th March downhill. They were not aware of the road issues while selecting this route, they told that traffic was very scarce and work happening in some places with only small lane open for traffic.
gadadhar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th March 2011, 20:33   #15
BHPian
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: bangalore, guda
Posts: 209
Thanked: 60 Times
Default Re: Kodaikanal - Munnar - Waynad route queries

Quote:
Originally Posted by gadadhar View Post
Kodai Palani route is not completely closed, my sister and family traveled this route on 3rd March uphill and on 5th March downhill. They were not aware of the road issues while selecting this route, they told that traffic was very scarce and work happening in some places with only small lane open for traffic.
I was there on Feb 26 to Feb 28th and the locals advised me against taking that route as it was still not completed. Maybe they have started leaving small vehicles on that route. I will check up when I go there again in a couple of weeks

As for Going to Pollachi from Kodaikanal, please drive down to Batlagundu - Sembatti - Ottanchatram - Palani - Pollachi - ETC (I have never gone to pollachi so i am not familiar with that route)

I usualy drive to Mudumalai from Kodai and hence only familiar with the darapuram somanur annur metupalayam route
Best regards
balan is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Chennai - Kodaikanal : Route Queries praveen_v Route / Travel Queries 189 17th December 2017 11:10
Bangalore to Munnar : Route Queries asethi Route / Travel Queries 1174 14th December 2017 14:01
Cochin - Munnar : Route/Climate Queries govigov Route / Travel Queries 16 28th December 2015 16:15
Bangalore > Wayanad > Munnar > Kodaikanal > Pondicherry route Safety is Param Route / Travel Queries 18 7th November 2014 16:47
Bangalore-Calicut Via Waynad --A Picture Perfect Route shreehari Travelogues 14 1st January 2014 13:39


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 17:24.

Copyright 2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks