Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries

Old 10th March 2011, 23:14   #16
Default Re: Yercaud: Grand palace or GRT nature trails

I had stayed @ Grand Palace, Mahindra Lake Forest and GRT last year all in the same 10 Days.

GRAND PALACE - STAY AWAY,STAY AWAY !!. When i am in my room at 11.30 P.M.I hear the door lock being opened . As the door is latched on the inside , I rush and open it the guy outside claims room cleaning .
I create a ruckus and the manager comes and apologies giving flimsy reasons.
The next morning I go to their restaurant for Breakfast.
On my return I find Rs. 1,000/- missing from my wallet and the beds made up.Knew the amount in it as I had counted and kept in 5K just 20 mts before leaving the room.
On complaining the manager cooly replies that i might have spent the money or dont rememember accounts.
I leave the hotel not for sight seeing but to look for another place of stay.
LAKE FOREST The same afternoon I shift here. The first response here is OMG !! Every room is themed , every rooms decor is different, every room is WOW.

first ask to see the rooms - The Diana room, The Loft , The Balinese , The...., The.... list goes on.
This resort is filled to the brim with antiques and memorablia.
Very pleasant and courteous staff

GRT NATURE TRIALS I had to shift here as Lake forest had some prior bookings . This place has some kick a** rooms with a view.
When I say view imagine a glass floor over a cliff , a wall for glass and so on.Their sky walk leading to the restaurant is really unnerving at night.This is a glass floored bridge at around 100 ' from ground level.

GRANGE RESORT This resort has a happening ATV track unfortunately the place was overbooked . That was why I had to go to Grand Palace.

GRAND PALACE This place truly rocks on food. Amazing continental and Indian cuisine . The kitchen conjures up your meal even as you finish ordering it. Even after moving out I have been loyal to this place everyday for dinner.
LAKE FOREST Oh__ so__ slow for any order to be processed. Great Desserts.
GRT NATURE TRIALS The buffet is VFM . Ala carte is overpriced.
godseed1670 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th March 2011, 11:16   #17

Check put the TripAdvisor reviews, I am sure you will think twice on Grand Palace (can find my review also some where in the beginning) Hotel Grand Palace - Yercaud (Yercaud) - Hotel reviews, photos, rates - TripAdvisor
gadadhar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th March 2011, 13:45   #18

Originally Posted by rajushank84 View Post
I am also toying with the idea of doing a Yercaud trip soon. How good is the TTDC here, any idea? (all I need is an insectless bed, hot water, room service).

And how busy is it at this time of year? (I want to avoid the hassle of getting a bank DD etc if the place is usually empty anyway...)
I stayed in a lake-facing villa at TTDC Yercaud a couple of years ago.

If you remember, one of the Commonwealth Games organizers said that Indians have a different sense of hygiene compared to Westerners. Go to TTDC only if your sense of cleanliness meets the Indian stereotype.

The rooms are strictly average with chipped furniture and so on typical of government-run rest-houses. The room and bathroom are not clean. The bathroom floor has some sort of mosaic except that the mosaic pieces are big and uneven. I don't think they could clean it even if they tried. We avoided the toilet as much as we could and started using the ones in restaurants.

Food at TTDC is also below average even for South Indian staples such as idli and dosa.

The only thing going for TTDC is the view of the lake if you get a lake-facing room. However note that when we were there, they had closed the small gate to the lake. Resultantly, we had to trudge up and down the hill and go around to the main entrance to reach the lake. Ergo you cannot just walk to the boating office in front of you whenever you like.

I had done an online reservation via credit card through the TTDC website, so I don't think you need to make a DD.

For those planning to take a bus from Salem, TTDC is right next to the bus-stop. I am not sure if the bus stops at Shevaroys but you can walk your way there unless you have lots of luggage. For Sky Roca, you can ask the conductor to stop the bus there as it is some kilometers before the lake.

The next time I go I will stay at Shevaroys. It is the oldest hotel there (I think) and has character. The place is clean. The non-veg food (Chinese and Indian) here is excellent. It has a bar. They even run a small supermarket which surprisingly sells stuff at MRP. Go around Christmas and this hotel has a holiday feel to it that will make you joyous. The only thing it doesn't have are the views.

If I have money to splurge I might stay at Sky Roca (now called GRT Nature Trails, I think). The place is clean and you get a view of a ravine and some hills. The sky-bridge is something worth checking out in itself, but you can simply go to the restaurant for that. When I went, the restaurant was run by GRT and I found the food mediocre.

Bear in mind that there isn't a whole lot to do in Yercaud. If you have your car or take an auto, you can see the whole place in a day. So unless you plan to go on nature hikes the entire time you are there, the choice of hotel becomes paramount.

Last edited by nowwhat? : 12th March 2011 at 14:26.
nowwhat? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th March 2011, 23:29   #19

@nowwhat: Thanks a bunch! I will stay away from TTDC after reading your post. I had a good experience with Thanjavur TTDC that too at Rs.1000 for an AC room, so was wondering if that's the case here too. Looks like, not.
rajushank84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th March 2011, 16:59   #20
Senior - BHPian

GRT for me guys. But will explore both the places anyway for food/stay

Tariffs are bit high for a place like Yercaud but i wanted some place near and not visited by me before..hence yercaud

Thanks alot for inputs
rajshenoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th March 2011, 19:10   #21

@rajshenoy :

I guess you've decided on GRT. My 2 cents anyway. I stayed in GRT during my visit last year. As such the rooms are great, they have good facilities and well maintained. But make sure you pick the right room. One of the complaints I had was the room they offered didn't really give a view of the valley (supposed to be a "Valley view" room). I had no choice because it was peak season and they claimed to be fully booked.

Try their swimming pool - I really loved it. The food is good, but quite expensive.

I stayed at the Grand Palace during my visit in 2009. A decent place, one can bargain if it is not season time/ weekends. Even if you don't stay here, do visit for a lunch/ dinner. We really liked the continental food in the restaurant.

As you say, the tariffs are high for Yercaud. They now seem to be getting a good number of visitors from Bangalore throughout the year.

Enjoy your trip!
CBlazer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th March 2011, 19:17   #22
Senior - BHPian

GRT is not value for money. Though location is good and rooms are big, the rates are higher side. The food is average. We staye there in the first few months of opening.

Why don't you try in Mahindra Zest property? I understand that they have taken a old British Baungalow and renovated it. Must be good. Food in Mahindra has always been good.
Fauji is offline   Reply With Quote