Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries

Old 15th March 2011, 18:02   #1
BHPian

Default Bangkok - Recommendations

I would be travelling to Bangkok next month and woud like to know any good hotel recommendations in Bangkok.

Would prefer a two room suite for 4 adults & 3 children.
Looking at a budget of less than 100SGD.

PLease help provide any good places to stay.
evo8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th March 2011, 18:20   #2
BHPian

Default Re: Bangkok - Recommendations

Hi,
I have stayed at the Ramada's. Its good and nice service too. Check if that is in budget.
Lightening-Fast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st March 2011, 13:09   #3
BHPian

Default Help making a 4 day itinerary to Bangkok

Hello All Travel Gurus,
Posting this thread to seek all the expert advice we can get for a trip i and my wifey plan to Bangkok. We are planning to visit the place from 21st May and return on 26th.
Effectively we just have 22nd to 25th (4 days) at our disposal and want to make the most of it.
Along with taking care of my baiko’s shopping spree need some good place to relax.
I understand 4 days is a very small period but this is more or less a budget kinda vacation.
Have gone through the travelogues updated by ajmat and others but still not sure what kind of itinerary we should have for ourselves. Some hotels that have shortlisted for the Bangkok stay are
http://www.thecottagebangkokairport.com/standard.html
http://www.merisess.com/index.htm
http://www.woraburi.com/woraburisukhumvit/nearby.html
http://www.amari.com/atrium/

Needed another help on choosing one of the islands Krabi or Koh Samui any other recommended one.
Awaiting all your responses. Thanks in advance.
Dicky
Dicky_GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st March 2011, 15:04   #4
Distinguished - BHPian

Default Re: Help making a 4 day itinerary to Bangkok

Last time when I visited Bangkok, I stayed in this Serviced Apt/Hotel. Extremely reasonable in pricing, and well-maintained - Bangkok Serviced Apartments - Apartments - hotels accommodations Sukhumvit Thailand.

Moreover this is close to the BTS train station, and close to Siam Square, Siam Paragon etc.

4 days is just good enough to cover Bangkok. Krabi / Koh Samui etc. are in South of Thailand, and is not really close to Bangkok. That by itself should be a separate vacation. Its a couple of hours by flight, and overnight journey by bus.
If you really want to experience sea, do a day trip to Pattaya.

Other than shopping, you can probably do the usual attractions like Grand Palace, Wat Poh in a day, another morning for the floating market. Also, if interested you can do a trip to the ancient town of Ayuthaya. Normally the onward journey is via Bus/Coach and return is soothing cruise in the Chao Praya river.

This is what I can recollect for now
vb-san is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd March 2011, 11:02   #5
BHPian

Thanks for your inputs vb-san checked out the service apartments at the Sukhumvit road. found another good place http://www.admiralsuites.com
Will see if i can find some other good places too.
Am thinking my right approach to the complete trip should be 2 days in bangkok and other two days at an island or beach. Two days in the city side should be able to cover the markets and shows and definately the amusement parks/zoo.
and the other two days i can utilize for some goos water sports, diving and snorkeling.
Old 22nd March 2011, 11:17   #6
Senior - BHPian

try this site www.booking.com - they give you excellent options practically in any city in the world.
Ive used them extensively for work and holidays for the last 7-8 years and find them to be very reliable indeed.
a huge advantage offered by this site is free cancellation upto around 3 days before the actual booking date and they only take the credit card number as a guarantee - they dont charge until you actually land up there and complete your stay. it is only in very few, small, boutique hotels that they may charge an advance.
shankar.balan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd March 2011, 11:30   #7
Distinguished - BHPian

Been there 2 years ago, http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/travel...-thailand.html, and need to be there on work (plus some pleasure ) in May 2011 - a couple of days overlapping with your dates.

Booking hotels thru agoda or wotif is immensely cheaper than direct booking.
SS-Traveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd March 2011, 11:59   #8
BHPian

for hotels booking i suggest hotels.com | Hotel Bookings & Reservations Hotel Offers & Discounts Cheap Hotels Rates Lowest Hotel Rates Guaranteed! i have been using them from past 2 years and have booked more than 20+ International hotels
CRV2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th March 2011, 00:26   #9
BHPian

thats a great idea. only thing is that the closest place you could go to (4 hours) for that is pattaya. very popular with tourists. but a bit too much of the you know what and its all in your face

if you can fly from bangkok then see if you can do samui or krabi or better still koh chang or koh kood. mind blowing places. You cant do them by road on a 4 day trip, but if you could afford the extra flight expense and try ad save on the hotel, then well worth it

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dicky_GT View Post
Thanks for your inputs vb-san checked out the service apartments at the Sukhumvit road. found another good place http://www.admiralsuites.com
Am thinking my right approach to the complete trip should be 2 days in bangkok and other two days at an island or beach. Two days in the city side should be able to cover the markets and shows and definately the amusement parks/zoo.
and the other two days i can utilize for some goos water sports, diving and snorkeling.
53BHP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th March 2011, 07:11   #10
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Bliston is also on Sukumvit road, and when I stayed there last time it was under the Ascott group with Somerset brand name. You can find a host of hotels in the same price range. My recommendation is not go for anything below THB 3000.
2 days in Bangkok - If you are there in the weekend, you can cover key city attractions + Chatuchak weekend market (if you are interested in bargain shopping).
2 days in Krabi/Phuket/Samui can be ruled out unless you are willing to pay for the flight. Alternate options are:

1) Pattaya: Crowded, but you can do all the beach activities. If I remember right, around 2hrs (+/-) drive by car, depending on traffic conditions. Alternately, you can take bus from the Ekkamai bus station.

2) Hua Hin / Cha-am: Around 4 hrs drive by car. Hua Hin is a bit high end and better maintained compared to Cha-am. Personally I prefer Hua Hin, and its quite an ideal place for beach relaxation.

Note: Don't leave the outstation trip from Bangkok for the end of your journey. Traffic to Bangkok can go really bad, and there are every chances of missing the flight. Best option is to go to the beach destination from Suvarnabhumi, and do the bangkok leg towards the end of your trip.
Old 25th March 2011, 13:45   #11
BHPian

@ all: thanks a ton for all your advice and guidance on my trip, i really really appreciate all the help.@ SS-Traveller: Awesome travel log there mate. Am really thinking of the hotel you stayed at Prince Palace Hotel looks very good.@CRV 2010: its a very nice site mate and very usefull too.@53 BHP: Checking with the flight rates to Krabi or Samui. lets see if i can push my budget that far.@vb-san: That was a very vital piece of information you provided man my itinerary will be decided with the beach part of the trip taken care of in the begining.Does anyone know if I now need to apply for visa before hand or i can get it on arrival.
Old 25th March 2011, 14:22   #12
BHPian

Quote:
That was a very vital piece of information you provided man my itinerary will be decided with the beach part of the trip taken care of in the begining.Does anyone know if I now need to apply for visa before hand or i can get it on arrival

Firstly need to warn you. May is going to be ultra super hot in Thailand. We were there in March and struggled a bit in the heat.

Since you are going with your wife, I would not recommend you more than an evening in Pattayya. It is crowded, dirty and not a place for holiday relaxation.

Bangkok -- you can find great deals with review on asiarooms.com, they are very reliable and based out of Singapore.

Sukhumvit is a great area to stay in and you can get to the grand palace, floating markets, wat arun quite easily from here. When I went with my wife we travelled by tuk-tuk, local bus, metro rail, taxi and even walked between Siam and Sukhumvit. Beware of the rates the tuk-tuk / cab drivers quote.

If you do get a chance you should definitely take a flight to Phuket. Patong beach is a party place, however slightly south of Patong is Karon beach. Excellent white sand beaches with daily excursions to other islands. Karon / Kata beaches are the best places to stay in phuket. The flights i dont think are too expensive to add on if you are flying Thai Airways.

Have a good trip !!!
bandlimitedlife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th March 2011, 14:42   #13
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
@ all: thanks a ton for all your advice and guidance on my trip, i really really appreciate all the help.@ SS-Traveller: Awesome travel log there mate. Am really thinking of the hotel you stayed at Prince Palace Hotel looks very good.@CRV 2010: its a very nice site mate and very usefull too.@53 BHP: Checking with the flight rates to Krabi or Samui. lets see if i can push my budget that far.@vb-san: That was a very vital piece of information you provided man my itinerary will be decided with the beach part of the trip taken care of in the begining.Does anyone know if I now need to apply for visa before hand or i can get it on arrival.
My comments on some of your questions:
  • Prince Palace is a very good hotel, but if I remember right its not really near any train station, and you need to take boat taxi to get around. Maybe I am wrong here.
  • There are some budget flights from Bangkok to Krabi / Koh Samui. I took Nokair (Nok - bird in Thai) 3-4 years back, and they were pretty good then. And its owned by Thai Airways. Details here: Flight Schedule
  • Visa on Arrival is available for Indian nationals. Make sure you have the local currency for payment and required photographs. The VoA costs THB 1000 per person. Its quite a hassle-free process. Details here: Thailand Visa - The Rules, The Procedure, The Documents
Quote:
Originally Posted by bandlimitedlife View Post
Since you are going with your wife, I would not recommend you more than an evening in Pattayya. It is crowded, dirty and not a place for holiday relaxation.

Bangkok -- you can find great deals with review on asiarooms.com, they are very reliable and based out of Singapore.
Agree on both points. Pattaya is good for a day trip, and if you plan Krabi / Samui, exclude Pattaya from the plans.

And asiarooms is a good site, and always have some good deals available. But here is my tip on online booking. Check the hotels on offer in Asiarooms.com or hotels.net, and then go to that respective hotel's website to see if they have an promotional offers. At times, it happens that the hotels have better offers for direct bookings

Quote:
Sukhumvit is a great area to stay in and you can get to the grand palace, floating markets, wat arun quite easily from here. When I went with my wife we travelled by tuk-tuk, local bus, metro rail, taxi and even walked between Siam and Sukhumvit. Beware of the rates the tuk-tuk / cab drivers quote.
Good point again. Sukhumvit is well connected the elevated BTS line run through the whole stretch. A great boon to avoid the notorious bangkok traffic. Taxis are generally reliable, but I don't recommend local bus or Tuk-Tuk.

Quote:
If you do get a chance you should definitely take a flight to Phuket. Patong beach is a party place, however slightly south of Patong is Karon beach. Excellent white sand beaches with daily excursions to other islands. Karon / Kata beaches are the best places to stay in phuket.
Phuket is excellent, but if you really want a bit more unspoilt beachs, my recommendation will be Krabi. Much less crowded than Phuket

Last edited by vb-san : 25th March 2011 at 14:56. Reason: Additional quote added
Old 25th March 2011, 16:48   #14
BHPian

Quote:
Agree on both points. Pattaya is good for a day trip, and if you plan Krabi / Samui, exclude Pattaya from the plans.

And asiarooms is a good site, and always have some good deals available. But here is my tip on online booking. Check the hotels on offer in Asiarooms.com or hotels.net, and then go to that respective hotel's website to see if they have an promotional offers. At times, it happens that the hotels have better offers for direct bookings

Good point again. Sukhumvit is well connected the elevated BTS line run through the whole stretch. A great boon to avoid the notorious bangkok traffic. Taxis are generally reliable, but I don't recommend local bus or Tuk-Tuk.
Yes asiarooms will help get you the reviews and in most cases great deals. But as vb-san says double checking with hotel would confirm cheapest deal. Also look out for cancellation policies.

@vb-san: The idea of going around in local_bus, tuk-tuk etc is just for the experience. Having gone to Bangkok and not being on a tuk-tuk ride that has been bargained by you, and the tuk-tuk driver taking you shopping even if you dont want it for the sake of getting fuel coupons is an experience in itself. I am not sure if you agree

Another point to not is that one should definitely go watch the Cabaret performed by the lady-boys there it is a very colorful and extremely entertaining show with great music and dance. I would recommend Simon's Cabaret in particular.
bandlimitedlife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th March 2011, 18:13   #15
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
@ SS-Traveller: Awesome travel log there mate. Am really thinking of the hotel you stayed at Prince Palace Hotel looks very good.
...the beach part of the trip taken care of in the begining.Does anyone know if I now need to apply for visa before hand or i can get it on arrival.
For me it is now a toss-up between the Prince Palace and the Best Western Mayfair, both of which we stayed in the last time. As of now, I can see the lowest rates for these hotels on Online Hotel Discount Reservations Worldwide - Book Your Hotel With Agoda, as compared to hotels.com | Hotel Bookings & Reservations Hotel Offers & Discounts Cheap Hotels Rates Lowest Hotel Rates Guaranteed!, Bookings and Wotif.com: Hotels, Accommodation, Motels, Serviced Apartments, B&B - Online hotel bookings with instant confirmation.

If you are visiting Pattaya, I'd suggest you get the consolidated ticket for 5 shows @999THB from here - Come visit Pattaya, the city of fun and relaxation # 2 - ? ç?? ?? ? ?? ?? ?õ ? ?? ?. Your savings are worth at least double that.

And no, you don't need to get a visa beforehand, visa on arrival is what you get. Carry sufficient cash (around 20,000 THB or equivalent in USD etc. for one family) - they might want to see that physically, and are not impressed with credit cards - and keep a spare copy of your return flight ticket.

You might want to drive around Thailand like we did - Avis Thailand has Toyota Vios cars available for @1600 THB/24 hours including GPS and Super Collision Damage Waiver insurance (very important that you opt for the SCDW, and not just the standard CDW where you are liable to pay upto 8000THB for any minor damage/scratch - SCDW means you pay zero).

Edit:
Quote:
...the tuk-tuk driver taking you shopping even if you dont want it for the sake of getting fuel coupons is an experience in itself.
Taxi and tuk-tuk drivers can take you to Gems Gallery for shopping, to get their fuel coupons, but you are neither under any compulsion to buy, nor should you avoid bargaining. Prices can drop upto 40% if you are a champion bargainer (like my wife is ), and the tuk-tuk fellow will agree to give you a lower rate if you tell him at the time of hiring that you don't mind spending some time at a Gems Gallery. BTW, buying ivory products is legal in Thailand (Gems Gallery sells the stuff), unlike in India.

Last edited by SS-Traveller : 25th March 2011 at 18:21.
SS-Traveller is offline   Reply With Quote