Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 9th May 2011, 08:01   #31
BHPian
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: The HOT seat
Posts: 45
Thanked: 4 Times
Default Re: A week's vacation in April - Kodai and nearby places.

Completed the Kodai trip. Filled up the tank at Trichy and there was no need to fill up again, but filled up for Rs. 500 at BP bunk at Kodai near 7 road junction, seems to be a reliable bunk at Kodai
Jidousha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th May 2013, 06:42   #32
BHPian
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Chennai
Posts: 317
Thanked: 4 Times
Default

Planning to go visit Kodai this weekend. Drive down from chennai. What route do I take if I want good roads. What would be good stopovers for breakfast and lunch ?
bharanidharang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th May 2013, 06:54   #33
Team-BHP Support
 
ampere's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 15,605
Thanked: 8,600 Times
Default Re: A week's vacation in April - Kodai and nearby places.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bharanidharang View Post
Planning to go visit Kodai this weekend. Drive down from chennai. What route do I take if I want good roads. What would be good stopovers for breakfast and lunch ?
The regular route is the best.

Chennai-Trichy-Dindigul-Batlagundu-Kodai.
4-lane till Dindigul, Decent 2-lanes to Batlagundu followed by ghat roads.

Break points : Ulundurpet for Breakfast (A2B) and Dindigul for lunch.
There is not much to break for between Trichy and Dindigul.
ampere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th May 2013, 07:20   #34
BHPian
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Chennai
Posts: 317
Thanked: 4 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post

The regular route is the best.

Chennai-Trichy-Dindigul-Batlagundu-Kodai.
4-lane till Dindigul, Decent 2-lanes to Batlagundu followed by ghat roads.

Break points : Ulundurpet for Breakfast (A2B) and Dindigul for lunch.
There is not much to break for between Trichy and Dindigul.
Thanks Ampere. Any problems due to the political issues by the caste based outfit ?
bharanidharang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th May 2013, 07:30   #35
Senior - BHPian
 
rameshnanda's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Chennai
Posts: 1,231
Thanked: 813 Times
Default Re: A week's vacation in April - Kodai and nearby places.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bharanidharang View Post
Thanks Ampere. Any problems due to the political issues by the caste based outfit ?
Shouldn't be.

You can also try Dindigul-Palani-Kodai once for a change. This route is scenic than the regular Batlagundu-Kodai. Also, if you are non vegetarian you have the option of Dindigul Thalappakatti just after Batlagundu.
rameshnanda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th July 2013, 16:39   #36
BHPian
 
polopm's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Chennai
Posts: 438
Thanked: 120 Times
Default Re: A week's vacation in April - Kodai and nearby places.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
The regular route is the best.

Chennai-Trichy-Dindigul-Batlagundu-Kodai.
4-lane till Dindigul, Decent 2-lanes to Batlagundu followed by ghat roads.

Break points : Ulundurpet for Breakfast (A2B) and Dindigul for lunch.
There is not much to break for between Trichy and Dindigul.
Amp & All !
A group of us with families are sharing 2 cars for a trip to Kodai next week (Ramzan) break. Return is planned on 12th morning after leisurely breakfast.
We are planning to do Dindigul-Palani-Kodai onward and the Batlagundu road during the descent. Hotels are booked at Kodai.
The plan is as follows:
1. 9th Aug - ~ 4Am start from Chennai and head towards Dindigul via Trichy
2. Breakfast - ? (A2B Ulundurpet will be too early - somewhere around Trichy ?)
3. Lunch @ Kodai (is that feasible ) - All are veggies.

Also, what would be the list of spots to visit. I would like to visit the ones where there is less crowd, the travelogue on Berijam has got me hooked. I will do that..

Last edited by polopm : 30th July 2013 at 16:41. Reason: Veg edge !
polopm is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 4th August 2013, 20:18   #37
BHPian
 
polopm's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Chennai
Posts: 438
Thanked: 120 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by polopm View Post

Amp & All !
A group of us with families are sharing 2 cars for a trip to Kodai next week (Ramzan) break. Return is planned on 12th morning after leisurely breakfast.
We are planning to do Dindigul-Palani-Kodai onward and the Batlagundu road during the descent. Hotels are booked at Kodai.
The plan is as follows:
1. 9th Aug - ~ 4Am start from Chennai and head towards Dindigul via Trichy
2. Breakfast - ? (A2B Ulundurpet will be too early - somewhere around Trichy ?)
3. Lunch @ Kodai (is that feasible ) - All are veggies.

Also, what would be the list of spots to visit. I would like to visit the ones where there is less crowd, the travelogue on Berijam has got me hooked. I will do that..
Guys
Anybody out there! Need some gyan....

Cheers!
polopm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th August 2013, 20:38   #38
Team-BHP Support
 
ampere's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 15,605
Thanked: 8,600 Times
Default Re: A week's vacation in April - Kodai and nearby places.

Quote:
Originally Posted by polopm View Post
Amp & All !
A group of us with families are sharing 2 cars for a trip to Kodai next week (Ramzan) break. Return is planned on 12th morning after leisurely breakfast.
We are planning to do Dindigul-Palani-Kodai onward and the Batlagundu road during the descent. Hotels are booked at Kodai.
The plan is as follows:
1. 9th Aug - ~ 4Am start from Chennai and head towards Dindigul via Trichy
2. Breakfast - ? (A2B Ulundurpet will be too early - somewhere around Trichy ?)
3. Lunch @ Kodai (is that feasible ) - All are veggies.
Saw this late @polopm.

If you start at 4, you would be at Ulundurpet by 7AM, (Its about 200km I think.) You should be just in time for the restaurants to be ready for BF!

And then it should be another 4 to 4.5 hours to hit Dindigul (220 as I see in Google). And there on its another 100km from there. That means you can make it at best by about 2/3PM. A bit late for lunch.
However I dont know of many places in Dindigul (though we have heard of the famous Dindigul Biriyani!) But still you will need some place in Dindigul or some where between Dindigul-Batlagundu. Because I think you should make it to that stretch some where about 12noon.

Last edited by ampere : 4th August 2013 at 20:41.
ampere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th August 2013, 16:03   #39
BHPian
 
polopm's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Chennai
Posts: 438
Thanked: 120 Times
Default Re: A week's vacation in April - Kodai and nearby places.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
Saw this late @polopm.

If you start at 4, you would be at Ulundurpet by 7AM, (Its about 200km I think.) You should be just in time for the restaurants to be ready for BF!

And then it should be another 4 to 4.5 hours to hit Dindigul (220 as I see in Google). And there on its another 100km from there. That means you can make it at best by about 2/3PM. A bit late for lunch.
However I dont know of many places in Dindigul (though we have heard of the famous Dindigul Biriyani!) But still you will need some place in Dindigul or some where between Dindigul-Batlagundu. Because I think you should make it to that stretch some where about 12noon.
Thanks Ampere, I started by 3.30 but could manage Ulundurpet by 7.30 due to rains and heavy traffic. Could compensate on the Trichy-Dindigul stretch and reached Kodai by 1.30 pm via Palani.
Oh btw the stretch between Batlagundu to Dindugal is silky smooth !
polopm is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 14th August 2013, 21:22   #40
BHPian
 
Ddrive's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Chennai
Posts: 250
Thanked: 458 Times
Default Re: A week's vacation in April - Kodai and nearby places.

Quote:
Originally Posted by polopm View Post
Also, what would be the list of spots to visit. I would like to visit the ones where there is less crowd, the travelogue on Berijam has got me hooked. I will do that..
Hi Polopm,

Missed this thread so long

Im not sure where are you at the moment ? Are you in Kodai right now ?

By the way, I too have put up a travelogue on Berijam.. Is it the one you talking about ? Are you going to Berijam ?

Regards
Ddrive.

Last edited by Ddrive : 14th August 2013 at 21:32.
Ddrive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd August 2013, 15:56   #41
BHPian
 
polopm's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Chennai
Posts: 438
Thanked: 120 Times
Default Re: A week's vacation in April - Kodai and nearby places.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ddrive View Post
Hi Polopm,

Missed this thread so long

Im not sure where are you at the moment ? Are you in Kodai right now ?

By the way, I too have put up a travelogue on Berijam.. Is it the one you talking about ? Are you going to Berijam ?

Regards
Ddrive.
Sorry for the late reply! Yes the inspiration was your thread ! I had travelled to Kodai before Aug-15th.

We had engaged a Qualis for our group for the two days in Kodai.
My Vento had a dent from one crazy 2 wheeler nut in Kodai the day I reached there. That was the only sad part. The cabbie was a local guy who enthralled us with all the shooting spots from early Rajni-Kamal movies to the latest ones. Viswaroopam 2 shooting had started the day before we left.
Point to note is that Kodai does not have the good roads the Nilgiris are blessed with. Probably that's because Nilgiris is a district on its own and also Kodanad is situated there
polopm is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Vacation for 3-4 days around Bangalore during the last week of April 2500cc Route / Travel Queries 21 30th March 2011 13:26
1 week, Family of 5: Places in Kashmir??? OR elsewhere? April 2011 frankmehta Route / Travel Queries 7 26th March 2011 18:20
Vacation in a Vacation : Discovering Kerala - A Photologue v&v Travelogues 61 29th June 2010 22:51
Tirupathi and nearby places sada Travelogues 10 19th November 2007 15:31
Bangalore to Srirangapatna and nearby places - inputs?? sathya_nars Route / Travel Queries 25 2nd September 2007 23:25


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 08:28.

Copyright 2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks