Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries

Old 24th March 2011, 00:54   #1
BHPian

Default Mumbai-Coonoor Which Route?

Hi we are planning to do Mumbai - Coonoor end May. Trying to figure out the best route. We have 4 kids in our group all under 10 years of age. So the route should be simple, no drama and fun.

The most logical route would be the NH4 till tumkur and then from there to Mysore and onwards to Ooty and Coonoor

Question is, is there any benefit of getting off NH4 earlier and taking the smaller roads via shimoga, arsikere etc

we plan to leave saturday afternoon 4pm from Mumbai. Stop for the night at Belgaum (Sankam or any other better place you can recommend)

Do Belgaum Mysore on Sunday. Stay overnight at Mysore and try to get to Coonoor in time for lunch Monday
53BHP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th March 2011, 06:48   #2
Team-BHP Support

Default Re: Mumbai-Coonoor Which Route?

A ~100 km difference in a 1200Km journey would make no difference if the road conditions in the longer route are way better. Better to stick NH4, in fact all way till Bangalore NICE road.

Take the NICE road and then then the standard Mysore road. You get 4L all the way till Mysore from Bangalore !
ampere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th March 2011, 06:53   #3
Senior - BHPian

Mumbai - Pune - Bangalore outskirts - onto NICE road - Mysore - Nanjangud-Gundlupet-Bandipur-Mudumalai-Ooty via Sigur ghats and Coonoor.
shankar.balan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th March 2011, 09:19   #4
Senior - BHPian

I also concur with what ampere and shankar.balan say, it is best to go via Bangalore now that there are no problems bypassing the city. You have the advantage of high-speed 4-laned roads till Mysore with excellent cities. You can do Bombay-Mysore the same day, if so inclined.

In case you wish to go off NH4, then the best route (scenic) would be to go off at NH4, take NH63 till Yellapura and then go via Sirsi, Sagar, Shimoga, Arsikere to Channarayapatna, and then from there via K R Pet to Srirangapatna and Mysore. There is also the conventional alternative of going off NH4 at Harihar and going to Shimoga.

One other option is to go off NH4 at Hiriyur (between Chitradurga and Tumkur) and go via Huliyar, Nagamangala to SRirangapatna.
hvkumar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th March 2011, 09:45   #5
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hvkumar View Post

In case you wish to go off NH4, then the best route (scenic) would be to go off at NH4, take NH63 till Yellapura and then go via Sirsi, Sagar, Shimoga, Arsikere to Channarayapatna, and then from there via K R Pet to Srirangapatna and Mysore.
This road runs so close to Jog Falls b/w Sirsi-Sagar and you can just pay a small visit to Jog falls, though there would be a very minimal water flow in end-May, unless it has rained the previous night (go there only if kids want to have some bragging rights having visited Jog falls). Another attraction for kids would be the Simha dhama (Lion sanctuary) near Shimoga.

Prasad
prasad14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th March 2011, 10:27   #6
BHPian

Thank you all

It will be the exact route you guys have recommended. Mumbai - Pune - Bangalore outskirts - onto NICE road - Mysore - Nanjangud-Gundlupet-Bandipur-Mudumalai-onwards...

@HVKumar: Had it only been adults, we woud have pushed it straight through to Mysore. Ideally I like to leave early mornings to beat traffic getting out the city. But my cousin is attending a workshop at lonavala and finishes only saturday eve. So we have to leave in the afternoon, do the pick up from Lonavala and move on. i like to drive at night. But the 2nd car's drivers are all attempting this long a drive for the first time. So I dont want any kind of drama. Hence I thought Belgaum is the most logical night stop. We have done it before and stayed at Sankam just off the highway. Great breakfast they have....

Any decent places to stay at Mysore? Dont want to stay with relatives there...Someone mentioned on another thread Park Lane Hotel...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
A ~100 km difference in a 1200Km journey would make no difference if the road conditions in the longer route are way better. Better to stick NH4, in fact all way till Bangalore NICE road.

Take the NICE road and then then the standard Mysore road. You get 4L all the way till Mysore from Bangalore !
Quote:
Originally Posted by shankar.balan View Post
Mumbai - Pune - Bangalore outskirts - onto NICE road - Mysore - Nanjangud-Gundlupet-Bandipur-Mudumalai-Ooty via Sigur ghats and Coonoor.
Quote:
I also concur with what ampere and shankar.balan say, it is best to go via Bangalore now that there are no problems bypassing the city. You have the advantage of high-speed 4-laned roads till Mysore with excellent cities. You can do Bombay-Mysore the same day, if so inclined.

In case you wish to go off NH4, then the best route (scenic) would be to go off at NH4, take NH63 till Yellapura and then go via Sirsi, Sagar, Shimoga, Arsikere to Channarayapatna, and then from there via K R Pet to Srirangapatna and Mysore. There is also the conventional alternative of going off NH4 at Harihar and going to Shimoga.

One other option is to go off NH4 at Hiriyur (between Chitradurga and Tumkur) and go via Huliyar, Nagamangala to SRirangapatna.
Quote:
Originally Posted by prasad14 View Post
This road runs so close to Jog Falls b/w Sirsi-Sagar and you can just pay a small visit to Jog falls, though there would be a very minimal water flow in end-May, unless it has rained the previous night (go there only if kids want to have some bragging rights having visited Jog falls). Another attraction for kids would be the Simha dhama (Lion sanctuary) near Shimoga.

Prasad
Old 24th March 2011, 10:30   #7
Senior - BHPian

Mysore has Ginger, Dasaprakash. The latter is reasonably priced too.
hvkumar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th March 2011, 11:53   #8
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Mysore has Ginger, Dasaprakash. The latter is reasonably priced too.
If you are with a large family, Dasaprakash is better, as the rooms in Ginger really make one claustrophobic. But having said that, Ginger is spic and span and well maintained; food is well priced and good too.

Dasaprakash is very good for large families. The parking is HUGE! They have big restaurant as well. Location is also very nice.
Old 24th March 2011, 12:39   #9
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post

Dasaprakash is very good for large families. The parking is HUGE! They have big restaurant as well. Location is also very nice.
There are two Dasaprakash hotels in Mysore. First one and since ages is the one at the center of the city and the other one, is Dasaprakash Paradise in Yadavagiri. The former has some old world charm and the latter is more modern.

I also would like you to consider Amblee resorts (www.ambleeresort.com/) on river Cauvery at Srirangapatna. The tariff on the website appears comparable to other hotels in Mysore. Apart from experiencing staying on the banks of a river, this place is just off the highway and you can avoid getting in and out of Mysore.

Disclaimer: I'm a Mysorean and therefore haven't had a chance to spend overnight in any Mysore hotels, though I have dined in most.

Prasad
prasad14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th March 2011, 13:12   #10
Senior - BHPian

the yadavgiri dasaprakash is in a nice location. the food is very good too.
the city one is old fashioned, 1940's inspired art deco style - dark and dingy. plus being in the city centre it can get a bit claustrophobic.
The food at Amblee is just so-so. Not really all that great. I dont know about the accommodation quality at Amblee.

For a decent standard of acco you may want to investigate Metropole in Mysore. But this will be expensive in comparison to the others being discussed.

Quote:
There are two Dasaprakash hotels in Mysore. First one and since ages is the one at the center of the city and the other one, is Dasaprakash Paradise in Yadavagiri. The former has some old world charm and the latter is more modern.

I also would like you to consider Amblee resorts (www.ambleeresort.com/) on river Cauvery at Srirangapatna. The tariff on the website appears comparable to other hotels in Mysore. Apart from experiencing staying on the banks of a river, this place is just off the highway and you can avoid getting in and out of Mysore.

Disclaimer: I'm a Mysorean and therefore haven't had a chance to spend overnight in any Mysore hotels, though I have dined in most.

Prasad
shankar.balan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th March 2011, 13:36   #11
Team-BHP Support

Quote:

Thanks Prasad. I forgot to mention about the two Dasaprakash hotels. I did mean the one at Yadavgiri. Terrific place and so is the food!

Quote:
Originally Posted by shankar.balan View Post
the yadavgiri dasaprakash is in a nice location. the food is very good too.
the city one is old fashioned, 1940's inspired art deco style - dark and dingy. plus being in the city centre it can get a bit claustrophobic.
The food at Amblee is just so-so. Not really all that great. I dont know about the accommodation quality at Amblee.

For a decent standard of acco you may want to investigate Metropole in Mysore. But this will be expensive in comparison to the others being discussed.
Metropole is also an amazing place: A Heritage Hotel. Loved the ambience. But yes, quite expensive for a night's stay.
Old 24th March 2011, 13:45   #12
MCR
BHPian

You can stay at Hotel Guru Residency, since its only a question of a night. The Hotel is very decent and clean. Also, it has enough parking space. This way you will stay very close to City centre and also have a quick exit to ooty road via JLB road - Gunhouse - Nanjangud road.
MCR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th May 2011, 13:24   #13
BHPian

trip update:

completed one leg of the journey. happy to report that the roads to coonoor are very good. we had a bit of a mishap near gundlapet. our santro rearended our fiesta. radiator being replaced. we go back to gundlapet to pick it up today.

at mysore we stayed at the park lane hotel. 2990 for the super deluxe room inclusive of 17.5 % tax breakfast not included

the hotel is ok. idiosyncratic owner i think. big printed instructions everywhere. red laterite everywhere. service is good. food is reasonably cheap. prices are fixed in stone. carry your own shampoo and soap. there is nothing in the bathroom apart from 2 towels

at coonoor, we are at mansoor and tina khan's acres wild farm. paradise. gracious hosts. we are having a fabulous time

one piece of advise: take the long way to ooty via gudalur. save your clutch. try the 36 hairpins on the way down