Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries

Old 29th May 2013, 17:51   #31
BHPian

Default Re: Cochin to Kodaikanal-Route advice required

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranjitp1 View Post
My reccomendation would be to take one while going and come back via the other.

kochi-wadakancheri-pazhayannur-alathur-kollengode-govindapuram-pollachi-udumulpet-palani-kodai

kodai-theni-bodi-poopara-rajakkad-kothamangalam-kochi

For stay within your budget,you could check out the following places:

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Hotel-...83432365121753

www.pineboroughinn.com

www.Dalethorpe.com & www.cinnabar.in
Ranjith,
Which is the best (in terms of time and road condition) route if we are going from Kochi to Kodai via Adimaly? I see 3 options in google maps
1. Adimali-Munnar-Maryaoor-Udumalpettai-Palani-Kodai - I have done this route couple of years back and it was pretty much time consuming
2. Adimali-Rajakkad-Pooppara-Bodi-theni-kodai
2. Adimali-Munnar-Devikulam-Chinnakanal-Poopara-Bodi-Theni-Kodai

I am planning a trip during June 2nd week
DieselLover is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 29th May 2013, 18:15   #32
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DieselLover View Post
Ranjith,
Which is the best (in terms of time and road condition) route if we are going from Kochi to Kodai via Adimaly? I see 3 options in google maps
1. Adimali-Munnar-Maryaoor-Udumalpettai-Palani-Kodai - I have done this route couple of years back and it was pretty much time consuming
2. Adimali-Rajakkad-Pooppara-Bodi-theni-kodai
2. Adimali-Munnar-Devikulam-Chinnakanal-Poopara-Bodi-Theni-Kodai

I am planning a trip during June 2nd week
Like I mentioned earlier,you can take one route while going:
Kochi-Thrissur-Wadakancheri-Alathur-Kollengode-Pollachi-Udumulpet-Palani bypass-Kodai Ghat road-Kodai

http://goo.gl/maps/hbNGb

For your return you can descend via Vatalakundu-Theni-Bodi-Poopara-Rajakkad-Kothamangalam-Perumbavoor-Reach NH47 after Aluva-Edappally-Kochi

http://goo.gl/maps/x3igo

Both the routes are in good condition.While going via palani,dont miss out on trying the filter coffee at the Only Coffee outlets between Meenkarai and Pollachi and again between Pollachi and Udumulpet.This is the desi version of Cafe Coffee Days and the coffee is excellent.http://www.thehindu.com/features/met...cle4140276.ece

Both these routes should not take you more than 6hrs to reach Kodai.I usually start from Thrissur around 10am and reach Kodai at 1630 with generous number of breaks

Last edited by ranjitp1 : 29th May 2013 at 18:17.
ranjitp1 is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 30th May 2013, 13:35   #33
BHPian

Quote:
Like I mentioned earlier,you can take one route while going:
Kochi-Thrissur-Wadakancheri-Alathur-Kollengode-Pollachi-Udumulpet-Palani bypass-Kodai Ghat road-Kodai

http://goo.gl/maps/hbNGb

For your return you can descend via Vatalakundu-Theni-Bodi-Poopara-Rajakkad-Kothamangalam-Perumbavoor-Reach NH47 after Aluva-Edappally-Kochi

http://goo.gl/maps/x3igo

Both the routes are in good condition.While going via palani,dont miss out on trying the filter coffee at the Only Coffee outlets between Meenkarai and Pollachi and again between Pollachi and Udumulpet.This is the desi version of Cafe Coffee Days and the coffee is excellent.http://www.thehindu.com/features/met...cle4140276.ece

Both these routes should not take you more than 6hrs to reach Kodai.I usually start from Thrissur around 10am and reach Kodai at 1630 with generous number of breaks
Thanks Ranjith. One question though..

The return road map you have given shows a direct road from Rajakkad to Neriamangalam without touching Adimaly. Which is this route? never heard of this before
DieselLover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th May 2013, 13:50   #34
Team-BHP Support

Quote:

The return road map you have given shows a direct road from Rajakkad to Neriamangalam without touching Adimaly. Which is this route? never heard of this before
Dont know about Google maps. But the diversion I think is at Adimali. It goes via Rajakkad/Rajakumari to Pooppara.
ampere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th May 2013, 13:51   #35
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

There is this road that runs past Ponmudi & Kallarkutty Dams which is a direct route from Poopara to Neriamangalam.It was rough in early 2012 but I am not sure of its present condition.You could maybe ask around at Poopara on its present state.If it continues to be bad then you can take the Theni-Bodi-Poppara-Rajakad-Kunjithanni-Anachal-Adimali-Kothamangalam.This joins the road coming from Munnar around 10kms before Adimali at Iruttukanam
ranjitp1 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 30th May 2013, 14:56   #36
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
There is this road that runs past Ponmudi & Kallarkutty Dams which is a direct route from Poopara to Neriamangalam.It was rough in early 2012 but I am not sure of its present condition.You could maybe ask around at Poopara on its present state.If it continues to be bad then you can take the Theni-Bodi-Poppara-Rajakad-Kunjithanni-Anachal-Adimali-Kothamangalam.This joins the road coming from Munnar around 10kms before Adimali at Iruttukanam
I've never taken this road through the Ponmudi / Kallarkutty dams, but it would be worthwhile knowing if this road has improved because it provides a good alternative to the Neriamangalam-Adimaly stretch which has quite heavy traffic at most times making overtaking virtually impossible.

The last time I travelled from Adimaly to Pooppara (about a year or so back) locals told me to avoid the route via Vellathooval-Rajakkad and directed me to go via the same route that you described - the one via Iruttukanam-Anachal-Kunjithanny-Rajakkad. That road was quite OK except for some sections which are quite steep and generally narrow.

But with roads in these parts of Kerala one can never say when they go bad - especially after monsoon sets in. So it's better to rely on local knowledge and ask people for their suggestion on which is the better route at crucial points where you have alternates available.
kala is online now   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 28th August 2015, 13:23   #37
BHPian

Quote:
There is this road that runs past Ponmudi & Kallarkutty Dams which is a direct route from Poopara to Neriamangalam.It was rough in early 2012 but I am not sure of its present condition.You could maybe ask around at Poopara on its present state.
I had driven on this route twice recently from Kochi, first on 27 Jul 2015, to Kodai and again on 11 Aug to Pooppara. You turn off to the right before Neriamangalam from NH 49 on the Idukki dam route. This road runs along the river Periyar past the Lower Periyar Project of KSEB before the turn off to Kallarkutty (from the Idukki route)and is very scenic. After Kallarkutty it goes via Ponmudy dam, Vellathooval, Rajakkad, Rajakumari and Pooppara. The road conditions have deteriorated in August compared to July, but except for some big potholes, it is OK to drive at around 40-60 km speeds. There are no continuous climbs like on the Neriamangalam-Adimali stretch, but turns are there with narrower roads. On the whole I found this route shorter, more relaxing and less time consuming to reach Pooppara than via Adimaly.

But better to check before driving at night, as there are lonely stretches nearer to Neriamangalam through forest areas which could be prone to elephant crossings.
tomchacks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th December 2016, 10:33   #38
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (5)
Default Re: Cochin - Kodaikanal (Eat outs, Route)

My friend and family is planning Kochi --> Kodai during the Xmas week. They are a group of 10+ people including few old folks and the mode of transport is a hired Tempo Traveler. Plan is to go via highlands ie. Kambam --> Theni OR Marayur --> Udumal and return via plains through Pollachi. Its been more than a year since I have taken these routes. Considering the current road condition, which route will you recommend while going. They would also prefer to have minimum hairpins and will look for sightseeing/break options on-route
gadadhar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th December 2016, 14:14   #39
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gadadhar View Post
My friend and family is planning Kochi --> Kodai during the Xmas week. They are a group of 10+ people including few old folks and the mode of transport is a hired Tempo Traveler. Plan is to go via highlands ie. Kambam --> Theni OR Marayur --> Udumal and return via plains through Pollachi. Its been more than a year since I have taken these routes. Considering the current road condition, which route will you recommend while going. They would also prefer to have minimum hairpins and will look for sightseeing/break options on-route
Marayur route would be quicker imo,as opposed to the kumily route,as the marayur route sees lesser traffic,lesser distance sand plus they get to drive through the Chinnar WLS as well.Considering its a hired tempo,this route would make more sense as it would be cost effective too.
Old 16th December 2016, 14:42   #40
BANNED

Quote:
Marayur route would be quicker imo,as opposed to the kumily route,as the marayur route sees lesser traffic,lesser distance sand plus they get to drive through the Chinnar WLS as well.Considering its a hired tempo,this route would make more sense as it would be cost effective too.
Thanks Ranjit.

Google maps shows Marayur, Chinnar as 303 Kms with estimated time as 8h 21 min. Route through Vellathooval, Pooppara Bodi is shows as 276 KM with 7h 33 min. Kumalu, Cumbam, Theni route is again 303 km with 7h 41 min. Going by this, it looks like Marayur route takes the maximum time and with same distance as last route and may not be the best for time and money.
gadadhar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th December 2016, 14:56   #41
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gadadhar View Post
Thanks Ranjit.

Google maps shows Marayur, Chinnar as 303 Kms with estimated time as 8h 21 min. Route through Vellathooval, Pooppara Bodi is shows as 276 KM with 7h 33 min. Kumalu, Cumbam, Theni route is again 303 km with 7h 41 min. Going by this, it looks like Marayur route takes the maximum time and with same distance as last route and may not be the best for time and money.
My bad!I completely forgot the fact that Kodai was the final destination,I somehow had Udumulpet as the destination-sorry for the confusion.

Kumily route is good,I did that recently and not much of hair pin curves,and I am assuming the road widening work has all been complete now between Kambam and Theni. Negotiating Theni town traffic can be quite messy though,but then its a tempo traveller so the headache is not yoursIf they want some more scenic routes,they can take the Pala-Eerattupetta-Vagamon-Kuttikanam route to Kumily instead of the Pala Kanjirappilly route.
Old 16th December 2016, 15:08   #42
BANNED

Quote:
My bad!I completely forgot the fact that Kodai was the final destination,I somehow had Udumulpet as the destination-sorry for the confusion.

Kumily route is good,I did that recently and not much of hair pin curves,and I am assuming the road widening work has all been complete now between Kambam and Theni. Negotiating Theni town traffic can be quite messy though,but then its a tempo traveller so the headache is not yoursIf they want some more scenic routes,they can take the Pala-Eerattupetta-Vagamon-Kuttikanam route to Kumily instead of the Pala Kanjirappilly route.
Thanks Ranjit, that cleared the confusion . I feel now it is between Vagamon VS Kanjirappilly which I will let my friend make a call. And let the TT guy worry about the road widening and Theni traffic.
gadadhar is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 13th May 2017, 14:13   #43
BHPian

I am travelling to Munnar end of this month from Kochi. The place I have booked is at Chinnakanal. Now, the question is which route to take to reach there.

I have travelled to Munnar earlier and so used to the Pallivasal route. I was exploring non standard route options and realised that Rajakkad- Rajakumari- Pooppara is a good option to dwell on.

Could someone help me with few answers: -
1. How is the road conditions from Adimali?
2. The main reason why I want to try alternate route is for scenic beauty. So, obviously, if this route is not scenic, then I will strike it off.
3. Will the traffic be high in this route?

Regards,
Dhanush
dhanushmenon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th May 2017, 13:28   #44
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhanushmenon View Post
I am travelling to Munnar end of this month from Kochi. The place I have booked is at Chinnakanal. Now, the question is which route to take to reach there.

I have travelled to Munnar earlier and so used to the Pallivasal route. I was exploring non standard route options and realised that Rajakkad- Rajakumari- Pooppara is a good option to dwell on.

Could someone help me with few answers: -
1. How is the road conditions from Adimali?
2. The main reason why I want to try alternate route is for scenic beauty. So, obviously, if this route is not scenic, then I will strike it off.
3. Will the traffic be high in this route?

Regards,
Dhanush
Try Kothamangalam - Iruttukanam - Anachal - Kunchithanny - Bison Valley - Gap Road - Chinnakanal. I travelled this route an year ago roads were good that time. Gap road is a bit steep and tricky.
JohnnyBoss is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 15th May 2017, 15:09   #45
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyBoss View Post
Try Kothamangalam - Iruttukanam - Anachal - Kunchithanny - Bison Valley - Gap Road - Chinnakanal. I travelled this route an year ago roads were good that time. Gap road is a bit steep and tricky.
Thanks a lot Johnny. Did a cursory glance on gmaps and it definitely looks promising. I take it that the roads will be equally, if not more scenic than the Rajakkad- Chinnakanal route.
dhanushmenon is offline   Reply With Quote