Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries

Old 14th May 2013, 21:56   #61
BHPian

Default Re: Chennai-Guruvayoor-Wayanad

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
Instead for 4AM, if you can manage a 3AM start, I would say its even better. The road is quiet and you find absolute very less traffic. You can easily make almost up to Krishnagiri till the world wakes up. And you would be in time for a good break fast. And if you can stretch till Salem, then splurge at GRT. That would be stretch a bit too much, but its possible. The price is a yummy breakfast!
Ampere, thanks again. I'd love to start early @ 3 AM. But getting my daughters up at 3 is going to be a near impossible task I'll try my best!

I'd love a good breakfast. Is GRT closer to NH7 or I need to go inside Salem town?
shenbag63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th May 2013, 22:05   #62
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shenbag63 View Post
Also, I understand the Nilambur route from GVR to Wayanad is the better option. Will go with that.
As far as road conditions are concerned, I think the route via Calicut-Thamarassery would be better - butter smooth roads all through. The Nilambur route would be more scenic and may be slightly shorter too since your destination is close to Vaduvanchal, but I suspect it might take you a little bit longer than the other route since recent reports indicate that the road between Vazhikkadavu and Nadugani is rough in a few places.
kala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th May 2013, 22:05   #63
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by shenbag63 View Post
Ampere, thanks again. I'd love to start early @ 3 AM. But getting my daughters up at 3 is going to be a near impossible task I'll try my best!

I'd love a good breakfast. Is GRT closer to NH7 or I need to go inside Salem town?
@shenbag63,

Its right next to NH7. When you enter Salem from Omalur side on the 4-lane, its right next to the point the road from the 5-lane turns towards the 5-roads junction. (Its on the left)

GRT Location

Now on what basis do I say that you should be able to hit Salem by breakfast?
Here is the logic:

Many folks driving to Goa from Bangalore take their first break at a place which is about 330km from Bangalore. Even I was able to do that with sedate speeds. In just about more than 4 hours I could cover that distance with a speed consistently hovering just about three digits. But the premise is you should be on the road at least by 3:30/4/4:15 such that you get to 4-lane very fast and immediately you are on to top gear. The family goes to sleep and when they are slowly waking up, you are nearing your breakfast destination!

Last edited by ampere : 14th May 2013 at 22:28.
ampere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th May 2013, 22:23   #64
BHPian

Quote:
Now on what basis do I say that you should be able to Salem by breakfast?
Here is the logic:

Many folks driving to Goa from Bangalore take their first break at a place which is about 330km from Bangalore. Even I was able to do that with sedate speeds. In just about more than 4 hours I could cover that distance with a speed consistently hovering just about three digits. But the premise is you should be on the road at least by 3:30/4/4:15 such that you get to 4-lane very fast and immediately you are on to top gear. The family goes to sleep and when they are slowly waking up, you are nearing your breakfast destination!
Thanks. Makes lot of sense. My daughters mostly sleep thru the drive. I wish my wife also goes to sleep. I hate when she wears her navigator's cap
Old 14th May 2013, 22:26   #65
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kala View Post
The Nilambur route would be more scenic and may be slightly shorter too since your destination is close to Vaduvanchal, but I suspect it might take you a little bit longer than the other route since recent reports indicate that the road between Vazhikkadavu and Nadugani is rough in a few places.
@kala, thanks. Since it is going to be an afternoon drive, I prefer a scenic route and no compulsions on reaching in time. I'll watch out for the road condition between Vazhikkadavu and Nadugani.

Last edited by shenbag63 : 14th May 2013 at 22:28.
Old 16th May 2013, 14:23   #66
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: Chennai-Guruvayoor-Chennai

Why are you going via Krishnagiri to Salem. The road via Villupuram, Athur is great except for a few bad stretches after Athur and that is hardly a bother.

On any day it is faster to go via Villupuram, Uludurpettai. You start at 4 AM you can reach Salem for breakfast comfortably around 9 AM.

You also end up paying lesser as toll charges while going via Ulundurpettai. If you are fine with having an early breakfast you could have at A2B Ulundurpet at around 7 AM

Last edited by pypkmsrikanth : 16th May 2013 at 14:28. Reason: Additional Info
pypkmsrikanth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th May 2013, 16:47   #67
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by pypkmsrikanth View Post
Why are you going via Krishnagiri to Salem. The road via Villupuram, Athur is great except for a few bad stretches after Athur and that is hardly a bother.
He says he is close to NH46 and hence the choice. Road diversion wise it should not be that big a problem.
Old 16th May 2013, 17:30   #68
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pypkmsrikanth View Post

On any day it is faster to go via Villupuram, Uludurpettai. You start at 4 AM you can reach Salem for breakfast comfortably around 9 AM.
Thanks for your suggestion. As ampere said I am closer to AH46. Also, I heard the 4-laning is still not complete in Ulundurpet-Salem stretch. But from your response I understand it is mostly complete.
Old 17th May 2013, 10:52   #69
Senior - BHPian

At around 4 AM the company bus traffic is quite high around Sri Perumbudhur, while the road is empty going towards Chengalpet allowing you to make up lot more ground on NH45 as compared to NH4.

If you are staying somewhere close to Porur / Poonamallee I think you would possibly save some time on NH4 otherwise from any part of the city taking the bypass and NH45 is the faster option.
pypkmsrikanth is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 15th September 2013, 19:11   #70
BHPian

Hey, folks

We're planning to go to Guruvayoor on the third day (which also happens to be a Sunday) of our Valparai trip. We'd be starting at early morning from Valparai, visit Athirapally Falls, etc., on the way and be reaching the temple town by evening. And we have a train to catch from Thrissur at 10pm.

So, how much time does it take for having darshan of the deity there?
vikred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th September 2013, 20:48   #71
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by vikred View Post
So, how much time does it take for having darshan of the deity there?

I would advice if you reach before 3-4 PM (which you should easily), try to have a darshan the same day. Many a times morning darshan becomes difficult and evening ones can be easier. So have both the slots in mind.

Reserve a room earlier. So you can just dump your stuff in there and make a dash to the temple.

Here is one very close to temple.

http://www.kanoosresidency.com/
Old 16th September 2013, 10:53   #72
BHPian

Quote:
I would advice if you reach before 3-4 PM (which you should easily), try to have a darshan the same day. Many a times morning darshan becomes difficult and evening ones can be easier. So have both the slots in mind.
http://www.kanoosresidency.com/
Thanks for the info, @ampere. So, we had a small discussion after I posted this query. The plan now is to go straight to Guruvayoor if we can complete visiting all waterfalls and viewpoints on the Valparai-Chalakudy route by lunch time. If we can't, we would be just visiting Vadakkumnathan, Thiruvambady and Paramekkavu temples in Thrissur the same day and board our train back to BLR.
vikred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd September 2013, 22:49   #73
Senior - BHPian

Will there be any issues with the below route, guys?

Chennai-Villupuram-Salem-Perundurai-Kangeyam-Dharapuram-Pollachi-Alathur-Pazhayannur-Wadakanchery-Kechery-Choondal-Guruvayur

Also, what are other worthy places to visit around Guruvayur apart from the Sri Krishna Temple?
rameshnanda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th September 2013, 06:45   #74
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by rameshnanda View Post
Chennai-Villupuram-Salem-Perundurai-Kangeyam-Dharapuram-Pollachi-Alathur-Pazhayannur-Wadakanchery-Kechery-Choondal-Guruvayur
Kangeyam-Palladam-Pollachi-Alathur

Other places : Chavakkad Beach.
ampere is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 24th September 2013, 09:07   #75
BHPian

Quote:
Kangeyam-Palladam-Pollachi-Alathur
I traveled Perunduari-Kangeyam-Palladam-Pollachi 10days ago (as per
Ampere's suggestion) and confirm that the roads are good throughout,
with very less traffic few kms after Perundurai.

Prasad
prasad14 is offline   Reply With Quote