Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries

Old 18th December 2013, 10:55   #76
BHPian

Default Re: Chennai-Guruvayoor-Chennai

I will be travelling to Guruvayoor during new year from Chennai for my 6 month old son's annaprasanam. The plan is as follows:
1st Jan - Chennai - Srirangam
2nd Jan - Srirangam Guruvayoor

I am breaking at Srirangam because my grand parents are there and they will be accompanying us to Guruvayoor.

I prefer to take Dindugul, Pollachi route from Srirangam to Guruvayoor on 2nd afternoon. I will need your inputs on good hotels on the way and also the best route from Pollachi to Guruvayoor.

Should we take ticket in advance for Annaprasanam? The plan is to do annaprasanam on 3rd.
arsudarsan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th December 2013, 11:44   #77
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by arsudarsan View Post
I prefer to take Dindugul, Pollachi route from Srirangam to Guruvayoor on 2nd afternoon. I will need your inputs on good hotels on the way and also the best route from Pollachi to Guruvayoor.
Pollachi has Nivethas Inn a decent very close to city center from where Palakkad road emerges.

Best option to Guruvayur :

Dindigul-Odanchatram-Dharapuram bypass-Pollachi-Kollengode-Alathur-Pazyahannur-Wadakanchery-Kunnamkulam-GVR

Route Link

Do note:
- Odanchatram-Dharapuram-Pollachi helps bypass Udumalpet.
- You need to be careful to spot the Alathur road at Kollengode
ampere is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 18th December 2013, 11:46   #78
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Should we take ticket in advance for Annaprasanam? The plan is to do annaprasanam on 3rd.
Where are you planning to stay in between Srirangam and Guruvayoor? In Guruvayoor, I recommend staying at Kanoos Residency.

Regarding the route, the best would be Srirangam-Dindigul-Palani-Pollachi-Alathur-Pazhayannur-Wadakanchery-Kunnamkulam-Guruvayoor.
rameshnanda is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 18th December 2013, 12:54   #79
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

The routes have been covered by Ampere and Ramesh.

No advance booking for Annaprasanam(Choroonnu).It can be done on any day and starts from morning.Its a group activity so if there are many kids,expect it to be done in groups of 10-15kids.There are photographers there who would do the needful and send you the pictures via courier usually within a week or so.The dewaswom fees for the annaprasanam was INR10,not sure if thats been hiked or not.
ranjitp1 is online now   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 18th December 2013, 16:34   #80
BHPian

Thanks ampere, rameshnanda and ranjitp1 for your inputs. Regarding the routes, which one would be better, Dindigul-Odanchatram-Dharapuram bypass-Pollachi or Dindigul-Palani-Pollachi? My plan was to take Dindigul-Palani-Pollachi.
Old 19th December 2013, 00:24   #81
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Regarding the routes, which one would be better, Dindigul-Odanchatram-Dharapuram bypass-Pollachi or Dindigul-Palani-Pollachi? My plan was to take Dindigul-Palani-Pollachi.
Both routes are good and the distance is almost same. You can make a choice here. In any case, be prepared to handle the traffic in Pollachi during day time.
rameshnanda is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 12th April 2014, 14:31   #82
BHPian

Quote:
I will be travelling to Guruvayoor during new year from Chennai for my 6 month old son's annaprasanam. The plan is as follows:
1st Jan - Chennai - Srirangam
2nd Jan - Srirangam Guruvayoor

I am breaking at Srirangam because my grand parents are there and they will be accompanying us to Guruvayoor.

Due to some issues, I could not do this trip in Jan as planned and completed annaprasanam at Guruvayurappan temple in Chennai. I am currently at Srirangam and we are planning to go to Guruvayoor on 15th. Now that Karur - Trichy stretch is good, which would be the better route? Through Coimbatore-Palaghat or through Dindugul-Pollachi?
Old 12th April 2014, 15:01   #83
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Due to some issues, I could not do this trip in Jan as planned and completed annaprasanam at Guruvayurappan temple in Chennai. I am currently at Srirangam and we are planning to go to Guruvayoor on 15th. Now that Karur - Trichy stretch is good, which would be the better route? Through Coimbatore-Palaghat or through Dindugul-Pollachi?
Neither!

I would suggest :

Trichy-Karur-Dharapuram-Pollachi-Kollengode-Alathur-Pazhyannur-Waddakkanherry-Kecheri-Guruvayur

This way : you bypass Salem, CBE, Palakkad.
And by not taking Dindigul road and NH209 you bypass Udumalpet.

You can also do Trichy-Dindigul-Odanchatram-Dharapuram-Pollachi-Kollengode-Alathur-Pazhyannur-Waddakkanherry-Kecheri-Guruvayur

But the Karur Dharapuram option is shortest. But if you take Dindigul, you get 4-lane options. Roads in TN are quite good. Once beyond Pollachi/Kollegode roads tend to become narrower.
ampere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th April 2014, 15:36   #84
BHPian

Thanks Ampere. What about speed limits in Kerala should I be sticking to 70 kph?
Old 12th April 2014, 15:43   #85
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Thanks Ampere. What about speed limits in Kerala should I be sticking to 70 kph?
There are speed limits for sure, but I don't know where all they are imposed. So better to stick to 60 and around once beyond Kollegode.
ampere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th April 2014, 19:44   #86
BHPian

Quote:
What about speed limits in Kerala should I be sticking to 70 kph?
Posted and discussed a few times on this forum i believe, but think this could help.

a borrowed pic
Name:  KLSpeeds.jpg
Views: 381
Size:  84.1 KB
Ddrive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th April 2014, 21:35   #87
BHPian

Thanks a ton will stick to 80 kmph on all roads.
Old 19th April 2014, 11:15   #88
BHPian

Completed the Guruvayur trip from Srirangam and back to Chennai. Took the route suggested by Ampere both ways and it took me about 7 hours either way excluding breaks. SH in TN side are much better in shape and markings are also good. In KL roads are good, but narrow. Markings are also lot less in KL, hence had to stop and ask directions at a few places.
Old 6th April 2016, 13:45   #89
BHPian

Hi
Has anyone recently done a chennai-guruvayoor-chennai trip? Am planning one on April 8th and would love to have recomendations ont he best route. I dont intend taking a break in journey. Thanks in advance
asterix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th April 2016, 14:00   #90
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by asterix View Post
Hi
Has anyone recently done a chennai-guruvayoor-chennai trip? Am planning one on April 8th and would love to have recomendations ont he best route. I dont intend taking a break in journey. Thanks in advance
Chenna-Salem-Palakkad is the same. (Chennai-Ulundurpet-Salem-Walayar-Palakkad)

Beyond you have two options:

Ottapalam-Shornur-Wadakkanchery-Kunnamkulam-Guruvayur

While the other option is to drive through Trichur-Choondal-Guruvyur. I dont know which of the two is better these days. Earlier people took the Ottapalam route thanks to 4-lane construction. Dont know how the situation is these days. Check on the Kerala route thread.
ampere is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote