Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries

Old 26th April 2011, 11:30   #16
BHPian

Default Re: Bhutan & sikkim from 30th Apr to 13th May

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger View Post
Tks Kumar sir & Gear on..

Travel agent who is booking for us is 'Dreamway Destination". You can check their website with the same name.
First we thought of having 2N & 3D trip to Gurudongmor & Zero point. their tariff is Rs27500 for this end to end all incl.
Then we thought of making it bit leasurely & informed them to quote for 3N & 4D trip. now they are charging Rs 41500..!! an increase of 15k for just a day extra..
We are 2 family ( 4 adults) & 2 kids.

CAn you pl suggest if its OK or they are just fleecing us.
Its a total rip off. Please do not pre book as they fleece you.Also have a look at their hotels in Lachen/Lachung before finalizing. We were charged 2500 per head for 10 seater vehicle and even that is on the higher side. Correct rate is betwwen 1600-2000 per head which comes to about 20000 for entire vehicle for 2N/3D including everything.Also dont forget to carry ID proofs and multiple photos for everyone.

Another point to note is Gurudongmar Lake is at an altitude of 17,000 feet so fitness of travelers is very important as it causes altitude & breathing problems for some. So in case of elderly or younger travelers you need to see how fit they are.

In Gangtok do stay only on MG Marg as its the main hub and from rest of the places you need to take taxi each time. FYI i had stayed at Hotel Karma which is bang on MG Marg.Also as i said, do try to include Pelling in you itinerary for 1.5 days as its a must visit.
GearOn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th April 2011, 16:38   #17
BHPian

i do think they are fleecing us.. but have 2 days time left to freeze.
I spoke to one Gangtok vehicle owner who was referred by one of the BHPian and they also quoted Rs28k for a 2N & 3 D trip.

we are checking with some other travel agent also.. will update once i get some info.
Tiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th May 2013, 00:25   #18
BHPian

I am doing the Bhutan trip and below is my planned itinerary. I am actually driving from Goa to Siliguri, but that thread is on the Route/travel Queries Page. Would really love you to suggest some stuff there too.

Now with regard to Bhutan. My trip starts on the 19th, which is a Sunday. However, our friends in Bhutan happen to be high ranked officers in the Bhutan Armed Forces, so there may be some possibility of getting things done, even if it is a Sunday.

19th.Reach Bhutan(stay in Phuntsholing).

20th Drive to Paro.lunch on the way..6 hrs drive to reach Paro. halt at our friends farm house.

21st Paro Sight seeing .morning hike to Taktsang Monastry( 5 hrs two n fro) , then visit the National museum.n lots more to see.

22nd drive to HAA.visit IMTRAT.(2.5 hrs drive over Chele la pass), Chinese border.over night Thimphu.

23rd Thimphu sight seeings.memorial stupa.Buddha Point.Takin zoo. Traditional paper factory.n lots more to do.
over night in t/phu.

24th. Drive to Punakha..3 hrs drive. lots of sight seeings there..you must visit the Dzong(fortress) there.

25th Fall back to Paro.evening gettogether with Ex -Echo boys at Tashi Farm house.its a weekend what a luck.hope alls guys will turn up.

On the 26th I am planning to head to Gangtok.

I have a lot of time on my hands so was wondering if you could suggest me how long do i need to spend in Sikkim. I also need inputs as to what else i need to do there before heading back to Darjeeling. I intend to spend a few days in Darjeeling and visit some of the Game Reserves there besides the local touristy things. Incidentally, as i am a Photographer, please suggest me stuff that would have a bearing on my hobby.

I know I am being very pushy but I know you guys have the knowledge.
Thanks so much in advance for the help.

Regards.

Mod Note : Please avoid typing with excessive dots.........like................this.

Last edited by Eddy : 11th May 2013 at 01:50. Reason: Note Inline
erlebrito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th May 2013, 23:15   #19
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by erlebrito View Post
22nd drive to HAA.visit IMTRAT.(2.5 hrs drive over Chele la pass), Chinese border.over night Thimphu.
Hi,
If your travel documents are in order, you might consider going to Haa from Chuzom, maybe spend the night there (guest of IMTRAT!) and then on to Paro over Chele Pass.

Regards
Sutripta
Sutripta is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 12th May 2013, 07:33   #20
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I am doing the Bhutan trip and below is my planned itinerary. I am actually driving from Goa to Siliguri, but that thread is on the Route/travel Queries Page. Would really love you to suggest some stuff there too.

Now with regard to Bhutan. My trip starts on the 19th, which is a Sunday. However, our friends in Bhutan happen to be high ranked officers in the Bhutan Armed Forces, so there may be some possibility of getting things done, even if it is a Sunday.

19th.Reach Bhutan(stay in Phuntsholing).

20th Drive to Paro.lunch on the way..6 hrs drive to reach Paro. halt at our friends farm house.

21st Paro Sight seeing .morning hike to Taktsang Monastry( 5 hrs two n fro) , then visit the National museum.n lots more to see.

23rd Thimphu sight seeings.memorial stupa.Buddha Point.Takin zoo. Traditional paper factory.n lots more to do.
over night in t/phu.

24th. Drive to Punakha..3 hrs drive. lots of sight seeings there..you must visit the Dzong(fortress) there.

25th Fall back to Paro.evening gettogether with Ex -Echo boys at Tashi Farm house.its a weekend what a luck.hope alls guys will turn up.

On the 26th I am planning to head to Gangtok.

I have a lot of time on my hands so was wondering if you could suggest me how long do i need to spend in Sikkim. I also need inputs as to what else i need to do there before heading back to Darjeeling. I intend to spend a few days in Darjeeling and visit some of the Game Reserves there besides the local touristy things. Incidentally, as i am a Photographer, please suggest me stuff that would have a bearing on my hobby.

I know I am being very pushy but I know you guys have the knowledge.
Thanks so much in advance for the help.

Regards.

Mod Note : Please avoid typing with excessive dots.........like................this.
Rains having started in that region, expect landslides and occasional dislocation in the Phuntsoling-Paro/Thimphu road. Not going to the rest of Bhutan? Not even Jakar?

Sikkhim will be raining heavily too, and landslides can be expected in almost all sectors, especially the West SK circuit (Pelling), East SK (Nathu la) & NOrth SK (Yumthang), and also the main highway from Siliguri.

If all goes well, you can plan as follows:

1: Gangtok-Nathu la-Gangtok
2: Gangtok-Yumthang
3: Yumthang-Gurudongmar-Gangtok
4: Gangtok-Yakshum-Kechopari-Pelling
5: Pelling-Namchi-Gangtok
hvkumar is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 12th May 2013, 11:36   #21
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hvkumar View Post
Rains having started in that region, expect landslides and occasional dislocation in the Phuntsoling-Paro/Thimphu road. Not going to the rest of Bhutan? Not even Jakar?

Sikkhim will be raining heavily too, and landslides can be expected in almost all sectors, especially the West SK circuit (Pelling), East SK (Nathu la) & NOrth SK (Yumthang), and also the main highway from Siliguri.

If all goes well, you can plan as follows:

1: Gangtok-Nathu la-Gangtok
2: Gangtok-Yumthang
3: Yumthang-Gurudongmar-Gangtok
4: Gangtok-Yakshum-Kechopari-Pelling
5: Pelling-Namchi-Gangtok
First of all a big thank you. I am not driving as I will leave the car in the safe custody of my friends unit which is based just an hour from Phuntsoling.
We will be driving in a local car from there. The itinerary was decided by them so will follow through with that. Incidentally, how are the roads in Bhutan?

As a wildlifer, I intend to spend more time near the national parks so will want to finish with Sikkim as soon as possible to get to Darjeeling and spend a few days there. I was advised not to stay in Darjeeling as the place is expensive due to high season. What would your take on this be? Also where is a good place to stay then? Also, since we are going to the Bhutan-China border, how different is Nathu-La? Or is it worth the trip?

Sorry to be so persistent again but you guys are a treasure trove of info and I can't help myself. Thanks again in advance.
Old 12th May 2013, 13:12   #22
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sutripta View Post
Hi,
If your travel documents are in order, you might consider going to Haa from Chuzom, maybe spend the night there (guest of IMTRAT!) and then on to Paro over Chele Pass.

Regards
Sutripta
I think that is the plan...

Thanks
Old 12th May 2013, 17:02   #23
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Incidentally, how are the roads in Bhutan?
Outstanding. There are 1-2 sections on the Phuntsoling-Paro/Thimphu road which face landslides during rainy season though.

Quote:
I was advised not to stay in Darjeeling as the place is expensive due to high season. What would your take on this be?
Darjeeling is super-cheap compared with North, South & West India.

Quote:
Also, since we are going to the Bhutan-China border, how different is Nathu-La? Or is it worth the trip?
The Bhutan-CHina border will be a sedate and sober affair. On the other hand, drive to Nathu la will be like going to Chowpatty Beach during Ganpati time in Bombay or Ramlila Grounds during Navaratri - full of crowds, overflowing taxis, bhel puri & chappals being sold

Changu Lake (on way to Nath la) is pretty and so is the drive.
hvkumar is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 12th May 2013, 18:53   #24
BHPian

Quote:
Outstanding. There are 1-2 sections on the Phuntsoling-Paro/Thimphu road which face landslides during rainy season though.

Darjeeling is super-cheap compared with North, South & West India.

The Bhutan-CHina border will be a sedate and sober affair. On the other hand, drive to Nathu la will be like going to Chowpatty Beach during Ganpati time in Bombay or Ramlila Grounds during Navaratri - full of crowds, overflowing taxis, bhel puri & chappals being sold

Thanks again.

Will certainly include the drive. Wanted to enquire with you regards the return leg.

Is it worth coming through UP, or should I just stick to the same route and come back down the East Coast?
Old 12th May 2013, 21:01   #25
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
I think that is the plan...
No, I mean Phuntsoling - Chuzom - Haa - Chele La - Paro. Or the reverse. You save a day, without missing anything.

Quote:
On the other hand, drive to Nathu la will be like going to Chowpatty Beach during Ganpati time in Bombay or Ramlila Grounds during Navaratri - full of crowds, overflowing taxis, bhel puri & chappals being sold

You couldn't have put it better! I've been to Tsangu before it was all the rage. IThe behaviour of the crowds, their insensitivity to the local environment makes me cringe. (I also have similar thoughts about a lot of other places in India. Sam dunes near Jaisalmer comes to mind immediately.)

Regards
Sutripta

Last edited by Sutripta : 12th May 2013 at 21:02.
Sutripta is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 12th May 2013, 21:37   #26
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Thanks again.

Will certainly include the drive. Wanted to enquire with you regards the return leg.

Is it worth coming through UP, or should I just stick to the same route and come back down the East Coast?
If you want a different route, then this could be a choice:
Siliguri-Dalkola-Purnea-Forbesganj-Darbhanga-Muzaffarpur-Gopalganj-Kushinagar-Gorakhpur-Ayodhya-Lucknow-Kanpur-Jhansi-Kota-Chittorgarh-Neemuch-Ratlam-Lebad-Manpur-Dhamnod-Sendhwa-Dhule
hvkumar is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 13th May 2013, 16:56   #27
BHPian

Quote:
If you want a different route, then this could be a choice:
Siliguri-Dalkola-Purnea-Forbesganj-Darbhanga-Muzaffarpur-Gopalganj-Kushinagar-Gorakhpur-Ayodhya-Lucknow-Kanpur-Jhansi-Kota-Chittorgarh-Neemuch-Ratlam-Lebad-Manpur-Dhamnod-Sendhwa-Dhule
How is the road here?

This would be quite interesting for the family. I have been through most of rajasthan and was there in end Feb too. Went to Ranthambore, Sariska, Bharatpur and Jaipur, then flew to Goa. But drove in Rajasthan and the roads were fab.

Do you have some inputs on the roads as per your route?

Thanks
Old 13th May 2013, 17:41   #28
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
How is the road here?

This would be quite interesting for the family. I have been through most of rajasthan and was there in end Feb too. Went to Ranthambore, Sariska, Bharatpur and Jaipur, then flew to Goa. But drove in Rajasthan and the roads were fab.

Do you have some inputs on the roads as per your route?

Thanks

Siliguri-Dalkola-Purnea: Super 4 laner

Purnea-Forbesganj-Darbhanga: A few kms of nasty roads where road widening is incomplete around Forbesganj, take care if it rains, can be slushy. But motorable for any car.

Darbhanga-Muzaffarpur-Gopalganj: Excellent

Gopalganj-Kushinagar: Roads in terrble shape for 40 kms till UP border, but motorable, take care

Kushinagar-Gorakhpur-Ayodhya-Lucknow: super-duper

Lucknow-Kanpur: BYpassing Lucknow not easy, heavy traffic till Kanpur

Kanpur-Jhansi-Kota-Chittorgarh: Incredible roads, except Kota town has no bypass, you can lose time there

Chittorgarh-Neemuch: 40 kms of bad roads (and the only 2-laned roads so far) till NImbahera, after which it is 4-laned & super

Neemuch-Ratlam-Lebad-Manpur-Dhamnod-Sendhwa-Dhule: Fast, Faster, Fastest. Some superb roads. No hotels or restaurants though. No need to go anywhere near Indore.

Last edited by hvkumar : 13th May 2013 at 17:42.
hvkumar is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 13th May 2013, 22:38   #29
BHPian

Quote:
Siliguri-Dalkola-Purnea: Super 4 laner

Purnea-Forbesganj-Darbhanga: A few kms of nasty roads where road widening is incomplete around Forbesganj, take care if it rains, can be slushy. But motorable for any car.

Darbhanga-Muzaffarpur-Gopalganj: Excellent

Gopalganj-Kushinagar: Roads in terrble shape for 40 kms till UP border, but motorable, take care

Kushinagar-Gorakhpur-Ayodhya-Lucknow: super-duper

Lucknow-Kanpur: BYpassing Lucknow not easy, heavy traffic till Kanpur

Kanpur-Jhansi-Kota-Chittorgarh: Incredible roads, except Kota town has no bypass, you can lose time there

Chittorgarh-Neemuch: 40 kms of bad roads (and the only 2-laned roads so far) till NImbahera, after which it is 4-laned & super

Neemuch-Ratlam-Lebad-Manpur-Dhamnod-Sendhwa-Dhule: Fast, Faster, Fastest. Some superb roads. No hotels or restaurants though. No need to go anywhere near Indore.

Lovely.

I think this is the route for the return then.

Cheerio!