Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries

Old 2nd June 2015, 09:46   #106
Senior - BHPian

Default re: New Delhi - Amritsar : Route Queries

Is the 6 laning work between Panipat and Ambala finished?
Or should one avoid this stretch altogether and prefer the Delhi - Rohtak-Sangrur-Ludhiana route?
joybhowmik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd August 2015, 20:17   #107

Hi, I am planning to do this trip (delhi - Amritsar) for 2 days, and we are off on 28th august morning at 5am. we are a family of 3 adults and 2 kids (aged 6 years each). we plan to drive down the panipat-ludhiana-amritsar route.

we plan to stay at golden tulip - which is on the outskirts, just to avoid the chaos inside the city. we also plan to do the trip to Harmandir Sahib two times.... day we are reaching for a night view and the next day early morning... for the 4am aarti...my friends have recommended that it is worth visiting.

next day we will roam and eat around amritsar and then head to Jallianwala bagh & wagah border. come back to hotel by night and then check out early morning next day.

I have gone through the complete thread, but wanted to check if there are any recent updates, which i need to be aware of.

thanks in advance
juggernaut1981 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd August 2015, 21:53   #108

You are good it is a nice plan, When you approach near the Golden Temple, You will have to park around 500 meters before the temple during the day time in a multi storey parking lot. You can easily walk after parking. Cops Normally stop the visitors at the round about during rush hour. If you request them nicely and tell them you need to go to the Galiara sometimes they allow.

During the Night you can drive to the nearest entry point, When you are approaching the Golden Temple take a right from the Mc Donalds and the narrow lane will take you straight to the entrance.

For Food Recommendations if you are Non Vegetarian do not miss Beera Chicken On Majitha Road for its Roasted Chicken and Keema Nan.

Breakfast at Kanha's On Lawrence Road for Puri Chana with Lassi, Take Back Moti Chor Laddoo and Chena Murgi from Bansal Sweets on Lawrence Road.

For Street Food you can try Mathi Chole from Basant Avenue Market.

Road is good all the way, After Jalandhar there is a 40 km stretch that is a undivided after that the Toll Road starts all the way to Wagah.

Let us know for more questions about Amritsar. Warmest welcome to Fellow Team-Bhpians from Local Team-Bhpians in Amritsar.
filmaka is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 25th August 2015, 19:17   #109

Few quick points based on my travel
1. Start early to miss the traffic, when I last traveled, there were still a number of flyovers which were under construction and one needs to take the service road near them, which surely adds to the travel time.
2. You should hopefully reach by evening, so do head to the Golden Temple and you can have the Langar also.
3. Check on the SGPC website for the daily routine (http://sgpc.net/daily-routine/) and plan accordingly. The morning Palki (Aarti) is surely worth a visit, but in case you want to lift the Palki, reach a little earlier than the scheduled time. There is no specific process to do this, but you can ask someone over there.
4. Though one doesn't see too many signs, but there is a speed limit of 90 KMPH which is imposed at times, so drive accordingly, also be aware of any cops with radar guns.

Overall, start early, drive safe and take regular breaks. Have a nice darshan.
Saint_Kabir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th September 2015, 21:34   #110
BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Bumping up this thread - I am planning a trip on Diwali this year - 11th November - want to spend Diwali evening in peace at Bangla Sahib in evening. Any recommendations as per road conditions/ eateries along the highway etc ? Been to Ambala, till zeerakpur towards Shimla multiple times etc.
ptaneja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th September 2015, 23:29   #111
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by juggernaut1981 View Post
Hi, I am planning to do this trip (delhi - Amritsar) for 2 days, and we are off on 28th august morning at 5am. we are a family of 3 adults and 2 kids (aged 6 years each). we plan to drive down the panipat-ludhiana-amritsar route.

we plan to stay at golden tulip - which is on the outskirts, just to avoid the chaos inside the city. we also plan to do the trip to Harmandir Sahib two times.... day we are reaching for a night view and the next day early morning... for the 4am aarti...my friends have recommended that it is worth visiting.

next day we will roam and eat around amritsar and then head to Jallianwala bagh & wagah border. come back to hotel by night and then check out early morning next day.

I have gone through the complete thread, but wanted to check if there are any recent updates, which i need to be aware of.

thanks in advance

Hi juggernaut1981, can you please share your experience of the drive between Delhi and Amritsar? We have planned to drive down to Amritsar from Gurgaon on 25-Sep morning and wanted to check on the current road conditions and any tips that you might have from your recent experience. Thanks in advance!
outdoorlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th September 2015, 23:33   #112
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by joybhowmik View Post
Is the 6 laning work between Panipat and Ambala finished?
Or should one avoid this stretch altogether and prefer the Delhi - Rohtak-Sangrur-Ludhiana route?

Hi Joy, please do update if you were able to know about the status of the 6 laning of the Panipat-Ambala stretch?
outdoorlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd September 2015, 09:27   #113
Senior - BHPian

Hi outdoorlover (Partha)

Replicating the PM to you for benefit of others.

Regarding the route conditions...
1) Getting on to GT Road (north bound)
Getting on to GT road is a challenge on most days. The way to it is via Ring Road in Delhi - and I would recommend taking the western segment in preference to the eastern. From NH-8 join Ring Road at Dhaula Kuan. Proceed on Ring Road till Azadpur flyover and join GT Road. At an early hour you should have no trouble negotiating the normally congested Wazirpur - Azadpur stretch.

2) Crossing Haryana (till Ambala)
This segment is 6 laned. There are a few choke points on this segment due to ongoing construction work and proximity to local markets, but I do not anticipate you should have any issue as you will likely cross these before 10 AM.

3) Ambala to Ludhiana
I would recommend sticking to NH-1 in preference to Ludhiana-Amritsar expressway . I believe segments on this new expressway are still being constructed ,so it's best avoided (Rt 703). If you stick to NH-1, then take the bypass towards Phagwara instead of driving through Ludhiana town.

4) Ludhiana to Phagwara
There are several choke points here due to flyover construction work. The diversions are through service roads - that are also proximal to the local markets. Expect to spend some time waiting in Queues. It's also a good idea to stop for a lunch break on this stretch- at the many dhabas/restaurants en-route.

5) Phagwara to Jalandhar
Excellent condition of the 6-landed road, with nary a diversion IIRC.

6) Jalandhar to Amritsar
It used to be an OK condition road when I went there last - but 4 laned. Expect slow moving local traffic and chokes - but nothing serious. Since you will be likely hitting this stretch in the late afternoon, be careful. There's some rash driving that goes on here - due to tipplers having a go at the wheel.

Hope this helps!

Here's wishing you a fantastic trip.

Regards
Joy Bhowmik
joybhowmik is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 28th September 2015, 10:23   #114
BHPian

Me and my wife will be driving to Amritsar next week,
please recommend a nice family hotel with Parking
facilities please .
Captdey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th September 2015, 10:44   #115
BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captdey View Post
Me and my wife will be driving to Amritsar next week,
please recommend a nice family hotel with Parking
facilities please .
I'll be going in November first week - and have booked the following -

http://www.cleartrip.com/hotels/info...irmation_email

Walking distance from Golden Temple.

See if it suits you ..
ptaneja is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 28th September 2015, 20:14   #116
BHPian

Many thanks, Joy. Your suggestions really came in handy. @ Captdey, we got a very good deal from Radisson Blu Amritsar through Makemytrip. You could try out various sites including applying the promo codes to see what suits you best.
outdoorlover is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 29th January 2016, 12:32   #117
BHPian

Guys how the condition of the highway from Delhi to Amritsar now. Planning to rent a self drive in Delhi and drive down to Amritsar and back. If lot of roadwork is underway then I will take the train.

Thanks in advance.
Aston Singh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st January 2016, 21:16   #118
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aston Singh View Post
Guys how the condition of the highway from Delhi to Amritsar now. Planning to rent a self drive in Delhi and drive down to Amritsar and back. If lot of roadwork is underway then I will take the train.

Thanks in advance.
The road is quite good overall, especially from after Murthal till all the way to Ludhiana and then from Phillaur till Jalandhar....traffic is another matter.

Basically the bottlenecks are:
1- entry/exit point of Delhi till Murthal due to heavy traffic
2- a potential bottleneck near or in Karnal, where a few flyovers are still being constructed
3- Ludhiana
4- Jalandhar entry point
5- After Jalandhar NIT till Beas is under construction
6- Almost all toll points have long queues

f you enjoy train journeys, there is no reason that you shouldn't take the Shatabdi.

Last edited by rrsteer : 31st January 2016 at 21:34.
rrsteer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st January 2016, 21:25   #119
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Planning to rent a self drive in Delhi and drive down to Amritsar and back. If lot of roadwork is underway then I will take the train.
Quote:
Ludhiana
RRSteer is correct, for Ludhiana don't take bypass - instead continue straight on GT Road all the way, it will be easier. With 2 breaks you can take anywhere between 7-8 hours from Delhi Airport to Amritsar , better hire something locally at Amritsar if you want to avoid driving,
Turbanator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd February 2016, 18:03   #120
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrsteer View Post
The road is quite good overall, especially from after Murthal till all the way to Ludhiana and then from Phillaur till Jalandhar....traffic is another matter.

If you enjoy train journeys, there is no reason that you shouldn't take the Shatabdi.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbanator View Post
RRSteer is correct, for Ludhiana don't take bypass - instead continue straight on GT Road all the way, it will be easier. With 2 breaks you can take anywhere between 7-8 hours from Delhi Airport to Amritsar , better hire something locally at Amritsar if you want to avoid driving,
Thank you both for your inputs. I was thinking of making it a road trip and maybe stop at Chandigarh. Let's see what the final plan comes down to. Otherwise nothing better than taking the Shatabdi.
Aston Singh is offline   Reply With Quote