Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries

Old 28th April 2011, 16:21   #16
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: Off season destination from Pune during summer

I think all places other than hill-stations would be hot this time of the year.
Interior Maharashtra such as Marthwada (Aurangabad et. al.) is at least 40 deg during day time. It would be a nice test of your Jazz's AC performance, nothing else.
I was in Mahabaleshwar on Saturday. 10-12 noon was very hot. After that it was overcast. We enjoyed boating in the lake.

To be honest, there isn't much you can do this time of the year in this part of the country.
Sorry, if I sound negative in any way.
It would be interesting to see where you decide to travel. I am subscribing to this thread.
S_U_N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th April 2011, 17:20   #17
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmxylorider View Post
You might want to explore Guhagar, beach again, but much better than Diveagar IMO.
Problem with the Konkan beaches is the lack of any activity for majority of the day unless you are in a resort. Beaches are good for the morning and late afternoons. It would be quite hot during daytime.
+1 to your comments. I plan to take some time off later in the year to drive down the coast. Perhaps all the way down to Mangalore if time permits. Lets see how that pans out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by S_U_N View Post
I think all places other than hill-stations would be hot this time of the year. Interior Maharashtra such as Marthwada (Aurangabad et. al.) is at least 40 deg during day time. It would be a nice test of your Jazz's AC performance, nothing else.
I was in Mahabaleshwar on Saturday. 10-12 noon was very hot. After that it was overcast. We enjoyed boating in the lake.

To be honest, there isn't much you can do this time of the year in this part of the country. Sorry, if I sound negative in any way.
It would be interesting to see where you decide to travel. I am subscribing to this thread.
I dont think its negative, its just very reflective of how difficult life is in Maharashtra till the rains arrive. We went to Panchgani the weekend of April 9th/ 10th in the Nano. On the 9th it was perhaps hotter than even in Pune, but on the 10th it rained cats and dogs, and it was almost like being there in the monsoon.

I just need a short break from NH4 as I will be dancing up and down that route in the monsoons! We are definitely going to Nashik, so will hopefully have an update next week on how things are in that area (Trimbakeshwar/ Jawhar/ Nandur Madhmeshwar). I hope the Jazz AC is not tested too much
selfdrive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th April 2011, 18:31   #18
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by selfdrive View Post
We are definitely going to Nashik, so will hopefully have an update next week on how things are in that area (Trimbakeshwar/ Jawhar/ Nandur Madhmeshwar).
^^^ before May8, I hope! I have a function to attend there and updates will be helpful. <subscribed>
mmxylorider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th April 2011, 15:53   #19
BHPian

Hi selfdrive!

I had been to Nashik last weekend and it was really hot.

I had taken the Sangamner route and just before you reach Nashik, there is a place called Sinnar. Here in Sinnar MIDC area there is a natural stone museum. Please do include it in your itenary. It is a must watch if you are going to Nashik.

Also, if you are intrested in visiting temples, there is a very old Jain temple located on a hill and I have heard it is a must watch too. It has got a 10 or 12 tonne idol of God Mahavir in Panchdhatu. This temple is located on the road to Saputara and is around 15-17 Kms from Deolali.

Apart from these two, the usual attractions like the trimbak and Panchvati are good. But be aware of the pick pocketers at the Sita Gufa.

Waiting for a write on how the weekend goes by!

Cheers!
ObsessedByFIAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th April 2011, 16:30   #20
BHPian

Forgot to add that you can also visit the Sula Wineyards. I have heard its a nice place to visit and taste some nice wine!
Old 5th May 2011, 16:38   #21
Senior - BHPian

It took us a little less than 5 hours with a break of 45 minutes included. I would say driving time (steady) is a bit more than 4 hours
My 2 cents on this route:
Bhosari now has a flyover, so one should be able to save some time there. There is a toll naka after Bhosari. I dont remember the exact point, but after this the road is good for around 20 kms (except the Chakan crossing). Four lanes with a divider.
There is some road work going on after Ale Phata. There are a couple of places at the most where traffic is halted and allowed in one direction at a time. No huge delays though. Overall the road surface is good to excellent

There is a spanking new Vithal Kamat restaurant a little after Ale Phata (at the 100 km mark from Pune approximately). Food & service was good. Toilets were super clean, highly recommended

Sangamner town is the usual nightmare to cross (an Indica gifted me a couple of scratches on the left side). After this there was little to no traffic upto Sinnar (and a little bit beyond). The last 8 to 10 kms into Nashik was a bit slow, but nothing to worry about.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmxylorider View Post
^^^ before May8, I hope! I have a function to attend there and updates will be helpful. <subscribed>
We ended up having less time/ inclination to go these places so went to Bhandardara, Someshwar and visited some friends instead.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ObsessedByFIAT View Post
Here in Sinnar MIDC area there is a natural stone museum. Please do include it in your itenary.
But be aware of the pick pocketers at the Sita Gufa.
While driving both ways my son was fast asleep in the car, so didnt go to the stone museum this time. I will go there next time.

We had an unsavoury experience at the Sita Gufa; an attendant screamed at my son while we were waiting to go inside. Initially we didnt realise he was screaming at my son, as he was just standing in Q. And logically if he wanted to ask us to move ahead, he should have asked either of us parents.

Needless to say I gave him a piece of my mind, but then held back as I didnt want to create a scene at a place of worship. Is this something which is normal with people these days? IMHO, it takes away a bit as we go there with devotion and these guys dont own the place.

Quote:
Forgot to add that you can also visit the Sula Wineyards. I have heard its a nice place to visit and taste some nice wine!
Yes, it is, but not on the 1st of May which is what we did unfortunately. I did not even notice the date till we reached there and saw the board. Again there is always next time!
Old 9th May 2011, 11:14   #22
Senior - BHPian

Proposed for this weekend is a day return trip. I have heard good recommendations for Neelkanteshwar, Baneshwar & Nighoj.
Has anyone visited any of these places during this dry season? Is there enough to do at/ around these places for half a day?
Also, how is it for vehicles with GC issues?

EDIT: Perhaps I should say, how are the roads for vehicles with average GC (and a driver who is still learning how to handle one!)
Old 9th May 2011, 19:03   #23
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Proposed for this weekend is a day return trip. I have heard good recommendations for Neelkanteshwar, Baneshwar & Nighoj.
Has anyone visited any of these places during this dry season? Is there enough to do at/ around these places for half a day?

EDIT: Perhaps I should say, how are the roads for vehicles with average GC (and a driver who is still learning how to handle one!)
I have not visited any of these places.

But you can check out the TL posted by pjbiju recently for Nighoj at the below link:
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/travel...hmadnagar.html (Potholes that I love. A summer trip to Kukdi River Potholes at Nighoj, Ahmadnagar.)
amitwlele is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th May 2011, 14:59   #24
BHPian

Quote:

Not sure of Nighoj and Baneshwar, but Neelkanteshwar is a good place. They have created scenes from ramayana and mahabahart (Please dont kill me for this, my knowledge of history is as good as my cooking!)

Its a nice place, but will be very hot.

I have only heard about Baneshwar that there is a garden and a temple. Nothing much to visit. It has been almost 22-23 years I have been there. If you plan to go to Baneshwar, you can also visit Balaji Temple. It is one neatly maintained and very nicely created temple by the Venkateshawar group.

Cheers!!
Old 12th May 2011, 13:02   #25
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitwlele View Post
Thanks Amit, this does sound interesting. I will need to check if there is any other place to visit in that area; I am not such a fan of Nagar road (no offence meant) and would like to cover some other place if I drive in that direction

Quote:
Not sure of Nighoj and Baneshwar, but Neelkanteshwar is a good place. They have created scenes from ramayana and mahabahart (Please dont kill me for this, my knowledge of history is as good as my cooking!). Its a nice place, but will be very hot.
I have only heard about Baneshwar that there is a garden and a temple. Nothing much to visit. It has been almost 22-23 years I have been there. If you plan to go to Baneshwar, you can also visit Balaji Temple. It is one neatly maintained and very nicely created temple by the Venkateshawar group.Cheers!!
Thanks ObsessedByFiat; I have already visited the Balaji temple, so if I go in that direction it would be only Baneshwar for now. Someone at work told me it would be better if I go in monsoons.
Neelkanteshwar sounds good for a quick visit; perhaps I should go late in the afternoon or early evening. IIRC, there was a thread here somewhere; perhaps also by pjbiju. I should search when I find time later. The only thing I was concerned is that my Jazz wont go far in the final stretch and then it will be a walk in the sun (not advisable at this time).
I should look for a water body with trees around (ideally with a couple of hammocks)
Old 15th May 2011, 19:31   #26
BHPian

Quote:

You may refer the below link. Good place to spend half a day, I went during early winter. Now it would be hot and also there would be very little left of the small river.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/travel...ji-temple.html (A good weekend break - Narayanpur & prati-balaji temple)
AvonA7 is offline   Reply With Quote