Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > What Car? > Sedans


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 27th October 2012, 07:12   #181
BHPian
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Bangalore,Coorg
Posts: 790
Thanked: 361 Times
Default Re: Fish me out of this 15 lac soup!

Quote:
Originally Posted by haripi2 View Post
h) average mileage - 12 - 15k / year

which vehicle do i go for or do i just have the verna which fits my bill? do i go for petrol or diesel? dad was mentioning that we shud be going for diesel, but i am not sure. added bonus would be looks and snob value.

Prash
The mileage of 1,000 to 1,250 km per month puts you in that grey area of petrol or diesel. If you expect your driving amount to increase substantially then diesel it is. If not, or even possibly expect it to reduce petrol makes sense.

If you are happy with the verna, check out the price differential between the petrol and diesel and use some of those calculators here on TBHP to work out an approximate break even point. You will need to figure out how long you intend to keep the car. The longer and more chance of recovering the extra spent on diesel, if not actually saving money. Please check the pricing carefully as they have a lot of discounts on the petrol models as they are not selling. Another factor to take into account is the depreciation and resale at a later point.

Please test drive the verna on the highway and push it's speed upto 120 or so. A lot of people say it has excessive body roll and boat like handling and is a bit floaty at that speed. If you are comfortable, take the car.

Another VFM option is the tata manza. It is even cheaper but does have a problem in that it is not as reliable, with various niggles. It is however cheaper for regular maintenance. Rattles are also free with both tata and Maruti so do consider that. The Hyundai is better built.

Hyundai's are filled to the gills with goodies, so do consider what you really need. If you can get a cheaper version that has everything you need, that is even more saving.

I am assuming you are a happy Honda customer. Given that, consider other vehicles in the Honda stable. Pre-worshipped civic and accord are good options though servicing costs would be higher than the city. Additionally consider if the jazz would fit all your needs. That is even cheaper than the city and is a very practical vehicle, even more so for city driving.
pganapathy is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 27th October 2012, 08:22   #182
BHPian
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Kochi
Posts: 228
Thanked: 65 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by haripi2
Hi all,



which vehicle do i go for or do i just have the verna which fits my bill? do i go for petrol or diesel? dad was mentioning that we shud be going for diesel, but i am not sure. added bonus would be looks and snob value.

Prash
Hi Haripi,
Renault is offering a discount of Rs one Lakh on their diesel Fluence from today for the next four days,maybe you would want to consider that too. It is spacious and comfortable, but definitely not an enthusiast car.

Ramesh
Rameshdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th October 2012, 08:57   #183
BHPian
 
KINI's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: chennai
Posts: 302
Thanked: 101 Times
Default Re: Fish me out of this 15 lac soup!

Strongly suggest you go for a diesel car!!
Looking at your options I would suggest the Nissan Sunny.Yes I know that it is one segment lower but it is one of the few cars that can seat 3 people in the rear.Another option is the Altis Diesel though it is very likely that the version with all the safety features will cross 16L OTR here in Chennai.Do check that out.Also remember that it is powered by a puny 84bhp diesel engine.

The Elantra is definitely a 2 seater at the rear.If you are willing to overlook that aspect you could consider that too!!Same is the case with the Fluence.Stay away from Cruze(not great rear seats driver's car) ,Jetta(again a 2 seater at the rear and the one with safety features will cross 17.5L OTR) and Laura(2 seater at the rear,model due for a change,pathetic A.S.S here in Chennai).

You could consider the Duster(version without rear AC),Ertiga or the Safari Storme.I have travelled from Coimbatore to Kochi in a Safari and nothing beats the rear bench of the Safari!!Storme will be equally good if not better!!

Last edited by KINI : 27th October 2012 at 09:01.
KINI is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 27th October 2012, 10:55   #184
Newbie
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Chennai
Posts: 13
Thanked: Once
Default Re: Fish me out of this 15 lac soup!

Thanks for the response guyz...

Rear seat 3 people comfort along with good ride handling and suspension while traveling in highways is the highest priority.

Sunny i am bowled over with the rear space but i am told that there is lot of noise in the car and suspension is a bit poor while it hits the roads at higher speeds..

Actually my wishlist would be a 1.6+ L diesel engine ( assuming that would be minimum required engine) which looks like honda accord and costs less than 15 lpa on the road with great after sales and minimal maintenance. Is there something like that????

With regards to fluence it is untested and with lower rear space

Corolla altis --> i am actually leaning towards that though i feel looks are a bit bland

Duster --> opinion please?

Chevrolet Cruze--> will it do the job

I thought will persuade dad for skoda laura petrol and save extra money for cost differential in petrol but having read the horror story would not wnat to do it. we need uninterrupted availability of the car.

Or should i just save 2-3 lakhs and go back to honda city. we have two cars and clock close to 30,000 kms per year cumulative and now petrol cost is starting to bite us. so probably need to move to a diesel..
haripi2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th October 2012, 13:08   #185
Senior - BHPian
 
n.devdath's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 3,960
Thanked: 1,711 Times
Default Re: Fish me out of this 15 lac soup!

Quote:
Originally Posted by haripi2 View Post
a) Good Rear seat space for 3 adults . (Honda city was a bit apt for us)
b) would be chaffeur driven for majority of the time. 70% city to city commute (chennai )and 30% to other cities thru highway.
c) Should have good pickup.
d) I am not an enthusiast and max speed might be 110-120.
e) safety is must
f) Good after sales service
g) affordable maintenance cost?
h) average mileage - 12 - 15k / year
Two choices, in fact 3.

1. Nissan Sunny diesel
2. Renault Scala diesel which is the Sunny's cousin and looks better.
3. Tata Safari Storme if you need the high ground clearance.

Pick any of the above and you will be satisfied.
n.devdath is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 27th October 2012, 13:52   #186
BHPian
 
KINI's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: chennai
Posts: 302
Thanked: 101 Times
Default Re: Fish me out of this 15 lac soup!

Quote:
Originally Posted by haripi2 View Post
Thanks for the response guyz...

Rear seat 3 people comfort along with good ride handling and suspension while traveling in highways is the highest priority.

Sunny i am bowled over with the rear space but i am told that there is lot of noise in the car and suspension is a bit poor while it hits the roads at higher speeds..

Actually my wishlist would be a 1.6+ L diesel engine ( assuming that would be minimum required engine) which looks like honda accord and costs less than 15 lpa on the road with great after sales and minimal maintenance. Is there something like that????

With regards to fluence it is untested and with lower rear space

Corolla altis --> i am actually leaning towards that though i feel looks are a bit bland

Duster --> opinion please?

Chevrolet Cruze--> will it do the job

I thought will persuade dad for skoda laura petrol and save extra money for cost differential in petrol but having read the horror story would not wnat to do it. we need uninterrupted availability of the car.

Or should i just save 2-3 lakhs and go back to honda city. we have two cars and clock close to 30,000 kms per year cumulative and now petrol cost is starting to bite us. so probably need to move to a diesel..
The Sunny's suspension will hold up well at 110-120kmph AFAIK.That's the general feedback.Also look at the Scala!!

The Duster is a no nonsense reliable SUV with decent dynamics.You could opt for the variant without rear ac.Suggest you TD the car.

I personally feel the Altis is overpriced for what it offers.

The Cruze can do heavy running but it is a car to drive,not to be driven in!!(I own one)

Please stay away from Skoda.There is a separate thread dedicated in this forum to the atrocities committed by Gurudev Motors!!Feedback from friends isn't great either!!

Please have a look at the Safari Storme.It will have the best rear bench!!

Last edited by KINI : 27th October 2012 at 13:56.
KINI is online now   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 28th October 2012, 08:22   #187
BHPian
 
Shreyas Aterkar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 252
Thanked: 138 Times
Default Re: Fish me out of this 15 lac soup!

Quote:
Originally Posted by soul-on-4wheels View Post
Congrats, Shreyas, on your new acquisition! I can imagine how you must be feeling!! Enjoy the car and do keep updating us on your experience. Am waiting for my Yeti 4x2 to be delivered sometime next week!

Cheers!
Thanks buddy! Congratulations to you as well! Planning to start a review thread but only once I complete a few kms on the odo. Initial impressions are good, hope that I don't get to see the darker side of Skoda.
Shreyas Aterkar is online now   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 29th October 2012, 08:42   #188
BHPian
 
Shreyas Aterkar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 252
Thanked: 138 Times
Default Re: Fish me out of this 15 lac soup!

Quote:
Originally Posted by haripi2 View Post
Thanks for the response guyz...

Rear seat 3 people comfort along with good ride handling and suspension while traveling in highways is the highest priority.

...great after sales and minimal maintenance. Is there something like that????

I thought will persuade dad for skoda laura petrol and save extra money for cost differential in petrol but having read the horror story would not wnat to do it. we need uninterrupted availability of the car.

Or should i just save 2-3 lakhs and go back to honda city. we have two cars and clock close to 30,000 kms per year cumulative and now petrol cost is starting to bite us. so probably need to move to a diesel..
IMHO, you should go for Sunny or the altis depending upon your budget and the segment you prefer. Since you land up in a territory where you can buy either buy a diesel or a petrol vehicle. I had a similar dilemma, although my running won't be more than 10k per year. I settled for Laura petrol but mind you its a strict 2 seater at the back so does not suit your requirement of a 3 seater back seat. Since 70% driving is city both the above choices should be good. If petrol it is then look at city or altis petrol again depending on you budget and segment preference.

If duster suits you then looking at you driving, you might want to go for 85ps RXL (O).

PS - sorry about back to back posts, but could not multi quote using my cellphone yesterday so posting this reply now

Last edited by Shreyas Aterkar : 29th October 2012 at 08:45. Reason: adding PS
Shreyas Aterkar is online now   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 29th October 2012, 12:59   #189
Team-BHP Support
 
suhaas307's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 8,054
Thanked: 6,601 Times
Default Re: Fish me out of this 15 lac soup!

Quote:
Originally Posted by haripi2 View Post

Rear seat 3 people comfort along with good ride handling and suspension while traveling in highways is the highest priority.

Sunny i am bowled over with the rear space but i am told that there is lot of noise in the car and suspension is a bit poor while it hits the roads at higher speeds..

Or should i just save 2-3 lakhs and go back to honda city. we have two cars and clock close to 30,000 kms per year cumulative and now petrol cost is starting to bite us. so probably need to move to a diesel..
Well, it's frankly difficult to find a competent sedan that will accommodate 3 people at the back comfortably and handle the roads without much fuss. The Sunny gets close, but the ride isn't that great. I find cars like the Etios / Etios Liva to have a better ride than the Micra / Sunny. Plus, the brakes are not up to the mark and a few scares on the highway might leave you wondering if you're better off with something that stops more positively. But it's very spacious I'll give it that.

Walk over to its sister company, Renault, and you'll get the Scala which isn't much different. In fact, it's a slightly more appealing than the Sunny if you ask me. But that's on the way it looks.

You could trade a few inches of rear space for much much MUCH better ride comfort and very balanced road-manners if you plonk your 15 lakhs on a Duster 110. A great car for the highway, but the 85 is no less and will save you a some $$$ because it does the job just as well if not better, in real-world conditions. I'm not sure if it would comfortably accommodate 3 big people at the back, though it should be good for a few hours.

The Corolla is a brilliant option and the diesel engine is good. But doesn't expect it to be a brilliant hauler because that engine is not a big one for the car it lugs. plus, as you've said, it's a bit bland. But a very competent car nonetheless. It can accommodate 3 comfortably at the back and it's a neutral handler. Vid6639 will testify!

I sincerely think you should wait and see what the Chevrolet Sail sedan has to offer. The ride is excellent and highway manners are just as good. Plus, the hatchback offered massive leg room at the back albeit for two big personalities only.
suhaas307 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 30th October 2012, 07:21   #190
Newbie
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Chennai
Posts: 13
Thanked: Once
Default Re: Fish me out of this 15 lac soup!

Quote:
Originally Posted by suhaas307 View Post

You could trade a few inches of rear space for much much MUCH better ride comfort and very balanced road-manners if you plonk your 15 lakhs on a Duster 110. A great car for the highway, but the 85 is no less and will save you a some $$$ because it does the job just as well if not better, in real-world conditions. I'm not sure if it would comfortably accommodate 3 big people at the back, though it should be good for a few hours.

The Corolla is a brilliant option and the diesel engine is good. But doesn't expect it to be a brilliant hauler because that engine is not a big one for the car it lugs. plus, as you've said, it's a bit bland. But a very competent car nonetheless. It can accommodate 3 comfortably at the back and it's a neutral handler. Vid6639 will testify!

I sincerely think you should wait and see what the Chevrolet Sail sedan has to offer. The ride is excellent and highway manners are just as good. Plus, the hatchback offered massive leg room at the back albeit for two big personalities only.

Nissan Sunny has been ruled out so Scala also does not get into the picture. Dad has heard some complaints abt the after sales and was not too keen. besides the looks are a turn off for all family members sans me.

Checked the Duster in Flesh.. Looks imposing but is not too big. i [personally feel they screwed up a bit on rear legroom. Parents felt rear was as good as wagon R and interior plastics were too bland. yet to do a test ride but my mom is absolutely against it and said we could better get a honda city again. Rear space is such a shocker. Can somebody ask honda to plonk a diesel engine? the fan base is so huge i am wondering what the folks in japan are smoking.

Fluence looked gorgeous but the sales guy himself was not pushing it, stating it is underpowered and the vehicle really has the looks to set itself apart. but for its weight i am doubtful if the logan engine can do its job.

so the only option remaining are verna and corolla. but again corolla has underpowered engine and will always have the swift dzire's vrooming past us on the highways

Friend got a verna diesel and i am bowled over with the looks, features and seating comfort for three people. the person in the middle should be around 5'5 or shorter to avoid the low roofing. wifey cud come in there. any thoughts? for 10.8 on road it looks like a bargain
haripi2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd November 2012, 07:56   #191
Senior - BHPian
 
dkaile's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Meerut, India
Posts: 2,985
Thanked: 4,025 Times
Default Re: Fish me out of this 20 lac soup!

@satyamkaushik

Quote:
Jetta/Accord/Civic/Altis/Laura which one to buy?

So basically i need suggestions from all the gurus and other folks here on Team-bhp as too what car should i buy.
I have a budget of Rs.20L which could stretch a bit only if a get an extraordinary deal.

Talking about the superb, it is 22.5 ex showroom delhi which would mean somewhere around 25 on road~~ go out of budget.
Do throw in the Superb for the reckoning also. Have a look here - http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-d...t-destiny.html (Skoda Superb - A tryst with destiny) . It can still fall in your budget with some clever bargaining. They are improving steadily in their after sales too in recent times with a pro-active top management.
dkaile is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd November 2012, 11:38   #192
BHPian
 
satyamkaushik's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: New Delhi
Posts: 264
Thanked: 103 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkaile
@satyamkaushik

Do throw in the Superb for the reckoning also. Have a look here - http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-d...t-destiny.html (Skoda Superb - A tryst with destiny) . It can still fall in your budget with some clever bargaining. They are improving steadily in their after sales too in recent times with a pro-active top management.
I tried to do a lil bargain on the superb, but the sales executive is more eager to sell me the petrol variant instead and offering some discounts on it rather than the diesel one.
Rather i'd say the sales executive was not at all in a mood to sell his car, he was like ya this is the best car on road and that pretty much says it all, here i hand over you the brochure, so for futther details you read it yourself.
Plus the other the say i read in the newspaper as well that skoda has taken back all the current discounts it was offering.
Going the pre owner way would be even harder. To put your money in perfect pre-worshiped car here in delhi is a big gamble. Even some of the genuine cars seem to good to be true.
I guess this is all because of the way dealers are here in delhi.
Still, can any one suggest me a dealer/showroom or guide me a place where i can find a genuine car ?

The kazashi is no doubt a good car. Maruti has a great service network too but after owning a beleno (which was till date my favourite vehicle we had), i can say the sourcing the spares will be a big issue.
I guess it would be even worse than beleno.

As of now i am most likely heading the Jetta way, will share my experience of the test drive with you all.

Thanks
satyamkaushik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd November 2012, 12:26   #193
Senior - BHPian
 
dkaile's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Meerut, India
Posts: 2,985
Thanked: 4,025 Times
Default Re: Fish me out of this 20 lac soup!

Quote:
Originally Posted by satyamkaushik View Post
I tried to do a lil bargain on the superb, but the sales executive is more eager to sell me the petrol variant instead and offering some discounts on it rather than the diesel one.
The Superb is a more superior package and upgrade from the Jetta and feature identical engines and gearboxes form the parent VW group. Service feedback is also similar (read, 'perceived to be below industry standards', though I don't agree). I went for Petrol MT version for 18.4L on road about 7 months back as I bought it from Uttaranchal. Same process can be adapted by you if you want to save some moolah. It should still cost below 20L in Uttaranchal. If your mileage is low then you should go for the Petrol MT version otherwise you will need to shell out 4~5L extra for the diesel, which didn't make sense for me. You can try Jai Auto at Bhikaji Kama Place, New Delhi (09311279591, Sachin Goel, if he's still there) or Channel Motors, Haldwani (09258071012, 05946-220588, 281149 Manoj). Jai Auto gave me best deal but then I would have needed to get registration done myself at Uttarnchal. Remember that Channel Motors guys are slightly laidback and will miss no opportunity to give you less discount (even though I bought from there) and you need to bargain hard and clearly with VIN details, otherwise you may have a bad dealer experience. But at the end of the day there is comparison the overall deal that Skoda Superb presents. Just stay away from the 7DSG Petrol. Also wait for year end deals around December, if you can wait that long.

A little research and spadework (which most of us shirk from, in the name of convenience) can get you a more superior product at lower rates. Best of luck...

Last edited by dkaile : 3rd November 2012 at 12:38.
dkaile is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd November 2012, 13:35   #194
BHPian
 
satyamkaushik's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: New Delhi
Posts: 264
Thanked: 103 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkaile
The Superb is a more superior package and upgrade from the Jetta and feature identical engines and gearboxes form the parent VW group. Service feedback is also similar (read, 'perceived to be below industry standards', though I don't agree). I went for Petrol MT version for 18.4L on road about 7 months back as I bought it from Uttaranchal. Same process can be adapted by you if you want to save some moolah. It should still cost below 20L in Uttaranchal. If your mileage is low then you should go for the Petrol MT version otherwise you will need to shell out 4~5L extra for the diesel, which didn't make sense for me. You can try Jai Auto at Bhikaji Kama Place, New Delhi (09311279591, Sachin Goel, if he's still there) or Channel Motors, Haldwani (09258071012, 05946-220588, 281149 Manoj). Jai Auto gave me best deal but then I would have needed to get registration done myself at Uttarnchal. Remember that Channel Motors guys are slightly laidback and will miss no opportunity to give you less discount (even though I bought from there) and you need to bargain hard and clearly with VIN details, otherwise you may have a bad dealer experience. But at the end of the day there is comparison the overall deal that Skoda Superb presents. Just stay away from the 7DSG Petrol. Also wait for year end deals around December, if you can wait that long.

A little research and spadework (which most of us shirk from, in the name of convenience) can get you a more superior product at lower rates. Best of luck...
Thanks a lot sir
My monthly running is about 1000-1500 kms, so i was thinking of going in for a diesel car this time, plus i guess i would be getting a better resale 5 years down the line.
So as you said 20 for the petrol and add 4-5 for a diesel, so that will end up between the 24-25 L territory which makes it out of my budget.
I will surely get in touch with the above mentioned people once and will let you know.

Actually i already sold my accord so i need to get a new car without wasting any time. I can surely wait for a month till december but is it worth waiting ?
Will i be getting an extra ordinary deal at time ?
satyamkaushik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd November 2012, 20:40   #195
Senior - BHPian
 
n.devdath's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 3,960
Thanked: 1,711 Times
Default Re: Fish me out of this 15 lac soup!

Quote:
Originally Posted by satyamkaushik View Post
My monthly running is about 1000-1500 kms, so i was thinking of going in for a diesel car this time, plus i guess i would be getting a better resale 5 years down the line.
Why don't you take a look at the Superb Ambition diesel? It has all the required features and should put you back at around 21l OTR Delhi. It has a 1.7 lac INR discount going for it too.

Also, while this might sound repetitive, why not the Laura?
n.devdath is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Doing Eyelids and in a soup prateekpsingh Modifications & Accessories 14 3rd September 2011 20:01
Cops seize bike, land in soup - Do not have power to seize the vehicle dadu Street Experiences 8 24th October 2008 11:35
To soup up the Yellow Wasp: '05 Palio 1.9D rohitgaur Modifications & Accessories 0 21st April 2008 22:08
Wanna soup up my zen libre sito Modifications & Accessories 56 4th January 2008 18:43


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 20:39.

Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks