Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > What Car? > Sedans

Old 14th January 2013, 18:02   #256
Distinguished - BHPian

Default Re: Fish me out of this 15 lac soup!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abhi_Automobile View Post
You don't like Fluence either (as most others) They are supposed to add a EDT (dual clutch box) to the facelifted lineup.
Yes, the Fluence with the auto-box could be a good option if you are willing to wait. The car have immense road presence, and Renault's new styling updates are pretty awesome. Hope they get rid of the overkill of beige in the high-end variant (even the steering!).
vb-san is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th January 2013, 18:15   #257
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vb-san View Post
Yes, the Fluence with the auto-box could be a good option if you are willing to wait. The car have immense road presence, and Renault's new styling updates are pretty awesome. Hope they get rid of the overkill of beige in the high-end variant (even the steering!).
I am thinking on the same lines. Now that Ive almost decided to wait, it mes even the Fluecne worth a look. However, given my preferences for a powerful engine, it remains an outside bet (unless they bring in the awesome 1.6dCI reported to have been launched already -130 bhp+ dual clutch will be certainly worth a look). Having said all this, I don't think 'Renolt' will do it.

Tehy should conduct a campaign to make people call (pronounce)their name properly, just like VW did!
Abhi_Automobile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th January 2013, 02:45   #258
BHPian

Default Skoda Octavia 2013: Worth the wait!!!

Plan to buy a 15-16L diesel car in 2013...

Shortlisted Cars: Chevrolet Cruze; Skoda Laura or VW Jetta (almost out of budget)

I read about Skoda launching Octavia in mid-2013, but it might be pricer than Laura...
http://motoroids.com/news/2013-skoda...han-the-laura/
Adit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th January 2013, 05:49   #259
BHPian

Default Re: Skoda Octavia 2013: Worth the wait!!!

I think they want to give the Hyundai Sonata some competition. For duds. Pricing a lower segment car at a higher price than their OWN higher end version is a sure fire way to failure. Let's see once the prices come out.
Mad Max is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th January 2013, 14:11   #260
BHPian

Default Re: Skoda Octavia 2013: Worth the wait!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adit View Post
Plan to buy a 15-16L diesel car in 2013...

Shortlisted Cars: Chevrolet Cruze; Skoda Laura or VW Jetta (almost out of budget)

I read about Skoda launching Octavia in mid-2013, but it might be pricer than Laura...
http://motoroids.com/news/2013-skoda...han-the-laura/
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Max View Post
I think they want to give the Hyundai Sonata some competition. For duds. Pricing a lower segment car at a higher price than their OWN higher end version is a sure fire way to failure. Let's see once the prices come out.
Well, we have conflicting reports. ACI believes that the base model will be cheaper than even the existing Laura for the VW diktat of pricing the Skoda cars at lower price point.

While I also believe that the new car may be costlier, please don't take the 'fly b the night ' forum news much seriously!
Old 17th January 2013, 15:17   #261
BHPian

Guys,

The reviews for the new Octavia have started pouring in now that the UK prices have been announced. The prices have been hiked considerably but there is a lot more kit for the money.

The reviews are generally very positive. In fact, the perception of SKoda being a budget brand and a manufacturers of cheap cars is well and truly over with this car, even in Europe!

http://www.autoexpress.co.uk/skoda/o...-skoda-octavia

I've decided to wait for this one till it reaches our shores.
Old 22nd January 2013, 15:40   #262
Distinguished - BHPian

Note: Replying on the relevant thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abhi_Automobile View Post
And as far as Jetta is concerned, I also fear that the prices would have been raised to higher levels by the time Octavia comes in. So, if I were to give you a proposition when there is not much to choose in therms of price advantage (which increasingly looks like the case), then which would you choose? I want you to pick the superior product. I know we haven't seen the new Octavia in India, yet I want you to take your best guess.

The question is: Whether I should go for the Jetta now or wait for the new Octavia? (all on the basis of whether I think that the Skoda will be decidedly superior product or not)
It all depends on how much you are willing to wait. And if you wait for a few months, it’s quite possible that you end up paying a couple of lakhs more (compared to what you will pay now).

If I am in the market now, and have to choose between the two, this is what I will do:
1) If I need an AT, go with the MY13 Laura Ambition DSG. For the Jetta highline DSG, I have to pay around 4 lakhs more.
2) In case of MT, definitely the Jetta Comfortline/ Highline.

For me, both are really capable machines. Personally I prefer the Laura over the Jetta – just on the overall interior scheme, especially the dashboard height and layout. And the steering felt a bit better as well.

Now, about waiting for the new Octavia. First of all, we still don’t know when it will arrive. And secondly, its said to be much bigger than the Laura. If you are someone who feels bigger is better, then its probably worth waiting. I am kind of against the phenomenon of cars growing with generations

To close off, my advice is not to wait. I believe pretty soon you’ll be completing the second anniversary of waiting
vb-san is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd January 2013, 17:17   #263
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vb-san View Post
Note: Replying on the relevant thread

It all depends on how much you are willing to wait. And if you wait for a few months, itís quite possible that you end up paying a couple of lakhs more (compared to what you will pay now).

If I am in the market now, and have to choose between the two, this is what I will do:
1) If I need an AT, go with the MY13 Laura Ambition DSG. For the Jetta highline DSG, I have to pay around 4 lakhs more.
2) In case of MT, definitely the Jetta Comfortline/ Highline.

For me, both are really capable machines. Personally I prefer the Laura over the Jetta Ė just on the overall interior scheme, especially the dashboard height and layout. And the steering felt a bit better as well.

Now, about waiting for the new Octavia. First of all, we still donít know when it will arrive. And secondly, its said to be much bigger than the Laura. If you are someone who feels bigger is better, then its probably worth waiting. I am kind of against the phenomenon of cars growing with generations

To close off, my advice is not to wait. I believe pretty soon youíll be completing the second anniversary of waiting
I am majorly in for the MT version. AT is not a requirement. but a sure 'nice to have' (meaning that its something that I do value; not a frivolous convenience) but it is something that I am willing to forego, if it becomes cost prohibitive.

Simply based on product v/s product comparison (Jetta CL v/s Octavia Ambition/Elegance), do you think its worth waiting or should I take the plunge right away coz the Octavia wouldn't give me anything significantly more than the Jetta will give me.

In general, I'd prefer a bugger car since I already have a couple of smaller ones.
Old 27th January 2013, 04:00   #264

The search for the ideal sub 15 lac car still continues for my family and we are more confused now.

Key needs - Comfortable car for 5 people which will primarily be chaffeur driven. 70-30 city : highway.
Initially thought about diesels but are now okay with petrols. Monthly usage 1200-1500 kms.
Cars Test driven - Verna and Duster. Not too enthused by either. rear seating is cramped.

We are now getting a discount of 2 lakhs on Honda Civic. should we go for it? should we bargain more? OTR for the S-MT version comes to 14 lakhs. Love the looks and have been an extremely satisfied honda city owner. Honda fan-family you could say.

what other options are we missing? corolla altis looks are a bit bland for us. personal opinion though...
haripi2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th January 2013, 09:49   #265

Looking for a 5 seater sedan with good reliability, service and good looks.

I am getting a discount of 2 lakhs on civic 1.8 SMT which brings OTR to 13.5. is it good? not a big fan of altis and skeptical about VW and skoda service in chennai
Old 27th January 2013, 10:42   #266
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by haripi2 View Post

I am getting a discount of 2 lakhs on civic 1.8 SMT which brings OTR to 13.5. is it good? not a big fan of altis and skeptical about VW and skoda service in chennai
What are you waiting for and asking us on the forum. Sort out your finances and buy the car. There are such things as dumb questions (sorry)
pganapathy is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 27th January 2013, 11:16   #267
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by haripi2 View Post

Hello haripi2,

Why not go for a preowned Civic instead? The difference between the old and new can be used for fuel and upkeep. You'll easily find a 2011/ 12 version for around 10-11 lac.

A new civic is bound to lose it's resale particularly as, the new Civic shall be seen on Indian roads pretty soon.

Or, if you intend to go with a new vehicle, try knocking another couple of thousands off the 13.5 (cite reasons like low sale volumes and the resale value plummeting after the new variant is launched, while booking). Last seen in the papers, there's anyway a discount of 1.4 Lac in Mumbai, IIRC.

The Innova Diesel fulfills your requirements to the T. Kindly consider that as an option as well. Low on maintenance, bulletproof engine and a diesel! I am pretty sure, every Joe out here doesn't mind saving every penny that he can, right!

PS- the Honda City can also be looked at provided, you don't own the ANHC for now (a city is indeed mentioned in your profile ). You might also want to hold on for the EcoSport provided, you can wait.

-Shivang Gandotra

Last edited by MetalBuff : 27th January 2013 at 11:30.
MetalBuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th January 2013, 14:21   #268

for sentimental reasons will not go for pre-owned. Honda city was the ideal fit for our needs, but we already have it and plan to replace it with this new one. any idea how much a well maintained single owner honda city 2007 Jan ZX model 80k kms would sell for.

i checked 4 showrooms today and most of them were empty. really no sales happening and whoever came was shouting at the sales guy.
Old 31st January 2013, 21:41   #269
Distinguished - BHPian

There's another option for people looking for a Petrol AT sedan in this segment. The Laura TSI Ambition AT with the 7 Speed DSG. Skoda website lists it at Rs. 15.93 lacs Ex Showroom Bangalore, whereas the Ambition MT is listed at Rs. 14.91. At just over a lac of rupees over the manual variant, it presents great value. The 1.8 TSI + DSG combo is the same that is seen on the petrol Superbs. But can you trust the 7 DSG? ... is the big question.

Last edited by Santoshbhat : 31st January 2013 at 21:43.
Santoshbhat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 31st January 2013, 22:05   #270
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Santoshbhat View Post
There's another option for people looking for a Petrol AT sedan in this segment. The Laura TSI Ambition AT with the 7 Speed DSG. Skoda website lists it at Rs. 15.93 lacs Ex Showroom Bangalore, whereas the Ambition MT is listed at Rs. 14.91. At just over a lac of rupees over the manual variant, it presents great value. The 1.8 TSI + DSG combo is the same that is seen on the petrol Superbs. But can you trust the 7 DSG? ... is the big question.
When did this variant come out? Yes its the same problematic DQ200 7 speed transmission.
.anshuman is offline   Reply With Quote