Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > What Car? > Sedans


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 31st January 2013, 23:10   #271
Team-BHP Support
 
Akshay1234's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 9,759
Thanked: 6,665 Times
Default Re: Fish me out of this 15 lac soup!

Oh wow I just saw the changes -

Addition to all 3 variants - bluetooth
Addition to A/T Variants - steering wheel controls, vRS alloys
Addition to Ambition and Elegance models - maxidot display, 6.5" touch screen
Addition to Elegance - electric seat with memory

That was about all I could see. The Laura isn't going down without a fight!
Akshay1234 is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 1st February 2013, 08:01   #272
Distinguished - BHPian
 
vb-san's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: S'pore/Thrissur
Posts: 4,686
Thanked: 3,849 Times
Default Re: Fish me out of this 15 lac soup!

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay1234 View Post
Oh wow I just saw the changes -

Addition to all 3 variants - bluetooth
Addition to A/T Variants - steering wheel controls, vRS alloys
Addition to Ambition and Elegance models - maxidot display, 6.5" touch screen
Addition to Elegance - electric seat with memory

That was about all I could see. The Laura isn't going down without a fight!
Yes, and the price difference is not that much compared to the 2012 models.
vb-san is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st February 2013, 08:52   #273
Distinguished - BHPian
 
Santoshbhat's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 1,777
Thanked: 2,975 Times
Default Re: Fish me out of this 15 lac soup!

Quote:
Originally Posted by vb-san View Post
Yes, and the price difference is not that much compared to the 2012 models.
Yes the difference with 2012 models is not that much but when you compare with 2011 prices the difference is quite high. In 2011 the trend was reverse actually. They were offering huge discounts esp on the petrol models. Certain features were quietly removed to allow them to price the model aggressively. For Eg. : The Ex showroon price in May 2011 when I bought my TSI Amition (called Ambiente then) was about 13.66 lacs, whereas the price today is 14.91 lacs. On top of it there was a discount of Rs. 1 lac on offer. Don't know what kind of discounts are available today.

Probably they've realised that non availability of features like bluetooth and steering mounted controls becomes a deal breaker for many in this segment.

Another possibility is that they have a pile of Laura kits in their inventory which they would like to clear fast to make way for the new Octavia. Best way to do that is to pack the variants with additional features and attract buyers. Also it will help them to price the new Octavia well. Better pack the Laura with additional features and maintain the pricing, rather than offering discounts and diluting the value of its marque.

Last edited by Santoshbhat : 1st February 2013 at 08:55.
Santoshbhat is online now   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 1st February 2013, 17:37   #274
Distinguished - BHPian
 
vb-san's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: S'pore/Thrissur
Posts: 4,686
Thanked: 3,849 Times
Default Re: Fish me out of this 15 lac soup!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Santoshbhat View Post
Yes the difference with 2012 models is not that much but when you compare with 2011 prices the difference is quite high. In 2011 the trend was reverse actually. They were offering huge discounts esp on the petrol models. Certain features were quietly removed to allow them to price the model aggressively. For Eg. : The Ex showroon price in May 2011 when I bought my TSI Amition (called Ambiente then) was about 13.66 lacs, whereas the price today is 14.91 lacs. On top of it there was a discount of Rs. 1 lac on offer. Don't know what kind of discounts are available today.
Yeah, the hike through out last year was pretty steep. Even the vRS was 15.xx lakhs at launch, but was around 16.6 lakhs ex-showroom as of November last year.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Santoshbhat
Another possibility is that they have a pile of Laura kits in their inventory which they would like to clear fast to make way for the new Octavia. Best way to do that is to pack the variants with additional features and attract buyers. Also it will help them to price the new Octavia well. Better pack the Laura with additional features and maintain the pricing, rather than offering discounts and diluting the value of its marque.
Quite a possibility. And in a way it works well for both the buyer and the manufacturer. Infact when I was at the Skoda showroom last month, the sales folks sounded so excited about these new updates to the Laura

------

I was looking at the price difference between 2012 and 2013 models. There is around as increase of around 30-40K for Ambition and Elegance AT due to the add-ons, whereas the difference in the case of L&K is only 10K.

The most surprising bit here is the introduction of 7-speed DSG with the 1.8 TSI. Great option to have but I am not sure if they have really sorted out the issues with this AT box.
vb-san is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 1st February 2013, 21:15   #275
Distinguished - BHPian
 
Santoshbhat's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 1,777
Thanked: 2,975 Times
Default Re: Fish me out of this 15 lac soup!

Quote:
Originally Posted by vb-san View Post
The most surprising bit here is the introduction of 7-speed DSG with the 1.8 TSI. Great option to have but I am not sure if they have really sorted out the issues with this AT box.
Just went through the feature list on the website which is up to date. The add ons are great. Of the lot, the TSI Ambition AT variant seems to be exceptional value. It gets a lot of features exclusive to the Elegance model. They could have very well called it Elegance AT. You get the fabulous 160 bhp TSI motor mated to a seven speed DSG. Reliability issues apart, that's a fantastic combination in a car that costs about 15 lacs!
Santoshbhat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 1st February 2013, 22:15   #276
Senior - BHPian
 
androdev's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: bangalore
Posts: 1,586
Thanked: 1,723 Times
Default Re: Fish me out of this 15 lac soup!

Quote:
Originally Posted by vb-san View Post
The most surprising bit here is the introduction of 7-speed DSG with the 1.8 TSI. Great option to have but I am not sure if they have really sorted out the issues with this AT box.
This is such a fabulous combination but what a sad timing to make it available here given that MK3 is already out. This only makes sense if MK3 will not be coming in 1.8 TSI+DSG trim anytime soon.
androdev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th February 2013, 15:51   #277
BHPian
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: New Delhi
Posts: 941
Thanked: 256 Times
Default Re: Fish me out of this 15 lac soup!

Guys,

Twist in the tale..I've been offered the Jetta CL TDI for 15 lakhs OTR excluding insurance (which I will get done by myself). This is with Chandigarh registration (1.8-2 lacs off on 2012 model. I personally couldn't care less about the 2012 thingy coz I won't sell it for many years)

While I know that I've had my heart set on the Octavia for a while now, this is a fabulous deal. Even if the Octavia is launched at the same prices as current, even the base model (TDI)will cost more than this.

So, let's check the current prices (- Insurance) of Laura with Chandigarh registration (Mangoes to Mangoes comparison)

1. Laura Ambition TDI (=Jetta TL): 15 lacs OTR approx
2. Laura Elegance TDI (= Jetta CL): 16 lacs OTR approx
3. Laura Ambition AT TDI: 17 lacs OTR approx

I am not going any further since the rest of the ones are beyond my budget.

There are conflicting reports as to what the prices of new Octavia might be. ACI (the brand heirarchy also suggests the same since the current car is only 50k cheaper than Jetta, variant for variant) says they will come down while internationally the prices have gone up. I personally expect them to be around the current levels itself.

If I assume them to be same as current (most sensible assumption), there is no way the Octavia will come close to the current deal I am getting

All in all, with the current deal, the Jetta CL is way more VFM than the Octavia will ever be. So, the million Rupee question: Should I go for the Jetta CL right now?

Last edited by Abhi_Automobile : 6th February 2013 at 15:55.
Abhi_Automobile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th February 2013, 17:10   #278
Distinguished - BHPian
 
vb-san's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: S'pore/Thrissur
Posts: 4,686
Thanked: 3,849 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abhi_Automobile View Post
All in all, with the current deal, the Jetta CL is way more VFM than the Octavia will ever be. So, the million Rupee question: Should I go for the Jetta CL right now?
That sound like a good deal. You get a reasonably loaded car with excellent safety features (6 Airbags, ESP) etc. The Laura Ambition /elegance MT will be the 2012 models as well, and you will not get any of the newly added goodies. And the MY13 Ambition TDI AT will be atleast 17-18 lakhs (or more). Since you are not so particular about AT, just go with the CL Jetta.

Are you getting a colour of your choice?
vb-san is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th February 2013, 18:09   #279
BHPian
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Hyderabad
Posts: 194
Thanked: 117 Times
Default Re: Fish me out of this 15 lac soup!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abhi_Automobile View Post
Guys,

The reviews for the new Octavia have started pouring in now that the UK prices have been announced. The prices have been hiked considerably but there is a lot more kit for the money.

The reviews are generally very positive. In fact, the perception of SKoda being a budget brand and a manufacturers of cheap cars is well and truly over with this car, even in Europe!

http://www.autoexpress.co.uk/skoda/o...-skoda-octavia

I've decided to wait for this one till it reaches our shores.
I don't want to add to the confusion (although I most probably am ) that you are in because I am pretty much in the same boat here but I think you should know this. Was watching Overdrive this past Sunday and there was a question from one of the viewers about buying a car in this segment. He had shortlisted the Elantra and the Corolla Altis and wanted to know which was the better option. To this, Bert, the Editor asked the viewer to wait for 2 or 3 months if possible, as the new Octavia and a face-lifted Altis with changes to the motor are expected in that time frame.
sunny310c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th February 2013, 18:23   #280
BHPian
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: New Delhi
Posts: 941
Thanked: 256 Times
Default Re: Fish me out of this 15 lac soup!

Quote:
Originally Posted by vb-san View Post
That sound like a good deal. You get a reasonably loaded car with excellent safety features (6 Airbags, ESP) etc. The Laura Ambition /elegance MT will be the 2012 models as well, and you will not get any of the newly added goodies. And the MY13 Ambition TDI AT will be atleast 17-18 lakhs (or more). Since you are not so particular about AT, just go with the CL Jetta.

Are you getting a colour of your choice?
Yes, I can choose any colour I want. I am not considering the current gen Laura at all. The only thing I am considering is whether to go for this deal right now or wait for the new gen Octavia and then take a call.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunny310c View Post
I don't want to add to the confusion (although I most probably am ) that you are in because I am pretty much in the same boat here but I think you should know this. Was watching Overdrive this past Sunday and there was a question from one of the viewers about buying a car in this segment. He had shortlisted the Elantra and the Corolla Altis and wanted to know which was the better option. To this, Bert, the Editor asked the viewer to wait for 2 or 3 months if possible, as the new Octavia and a face-lifted Altis with changes to the motor are expected in that time frame.
I am not looking for Corolla Altis or any other Koran/Jap cars in that segment. The only one I used to like among the Korean/Jap cars was the erstwhile Civic. The new gen one is clearly very uninspiring and even then Honda doesn't have any concrete plans to launch it in India
Abhi_Automobile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th February 2013, 18:33   #281
Team-BHP Support
 
Akshay1234's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 9,759
Thanked: 6,665 Times
Default Re: Fish me out of this 15 lac soup!

I would say go for it. Seems like a good deal, but then if the Laura come with more features you shouldn't feel like you missed out. Since you are getting such a good price on the CL, why not check what they can give you on the Highline too? A HL DSG for a good price may be worth it.
Akshay1234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th February 2013, 19:34   #282
Distinguished - BHPian
 
drmohitg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Delhi
Posts: 4,478
Thanked: 3,621 Times
Default Re: Fish me out of this 15 lac soup!

Man at 15L it would be a steal. And as Akshay also said above, with such discounts you should give a thought to the HL Jetta too specially since you are going to keep the car for a long time. Spending a little extra and getting the best available out there might not be a bad idea in that case. I would buy the Jetta if in your shoes without second thoughts.
drmohitg is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11th February 2013, 15:12   #283
BHPian
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Hyderabad
Posts: 194
Thanked: 117 Times
Default Re: Fish me out of this 15 lac soup!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abhi_Automobile View Post
I am not looking for Corolla Altis or any other Koran/Jap cars in that segment. The only one I used to like among the Korean/Jap cars was the erstwhile Civic. The new gen one is clearly very uninspiring and even then Honda doesn't have any concrete plans to launch it in India
What I was trying to say was that there are reasonably strong rumours surrounding the launch of the new Octavia in India within 2 or 3 months so you might just want to wait for it seeing as the European version has received rave reviews.
sunny310c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th February 2013, 16:23   #284
BHPian
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: New Delhi
Posts: 941
Thanked: 256 Times
Default Re: Fish me out of this 15 lac soup!

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay1234 View Post
I would say go for it. Seems like a good deal, but then if the Laura come with more features you shouldn't feel like you missed out. Since you are getting such a good price on the CL, why not check what they can give you on the Highline too? A HL DSG for a good price may be worth it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by drmohitg View Post
Man at 15L it would be a steal. And as Akshay also said above, with such discounts you should give a thought to the HL Jetta too specially since you are going to keep the car for a long time. Spending a little extra and getting the best available out there might not be a bad idea in that case. I would buy the Jetta if in your shoes without second thoughts.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunny310c View Post
What I was trying to say was that there are reasonably strong rumours surrounding the launch of the new Octavia in India within 2 or 3 months so you might just want to wait for it seeing as the European version has received rave reviews.
Yup, that's the thought process. For right or wrong, I've decided to wait after dilli-dallying for a while. What I am really looking for is the Octavia Ambition AT TDI. My only wish is that they launch it in the same trim levels as the current one and at same or less price point(only then will I get the Octavia Ambition AT TDI). If they launch the AT only in the top versions, I'm screwed

If it turns out to be a no show (meaning if the trim levels don't suit me or if it is turning out to be too expensive), I'll try to wring out as much discount as possible on the Jetta itself and then take a call. With Octavia, I get two things:

1. A newer car (and better looking too)on a superior platform
2. Chance to buy an AT (which is my preference if not a dire requirement)

Last edited by Abhi_Automobile : 11th February 2013 at 16:25.
Abhi_Automobile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th February 2013, 15:23   #285
BHPian
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Hyderabad
Posts: 194
Thanked: 117 Times
Default Re: Fish me out of this 15 lac soup!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abhi_Automobile View Post
Yup, that's the thought process. For right or wrong, I've decided to wait after dilli-dallying for a while. What I am really looking for is the Octavia Ambition AT TDI. My only wish is that they launch it in the same trim levels as the current one and at same or less price point(only then will I get the Octavia Ambition AT TDI). If they launch the AT only in the top versions, I'm screwed

If it turns out to be a no show (meaning if the trim levels don't suit me or if it is turning out to be too expensive), I'll try to wring out as much discount as possible on the Jetta itself and then take a call. With Octavia, I get two things:

1. A newer car (and better looking too)on a superior platform
2. Chance to buy an AT (which is my preference if not a dire requirement)
Am pretty much in the same boat as you. Want to buy an AT myself and have been waiting for a while now for a car that is a perfect combination of performance, handling and safety feature and had almost decided on going with the Cruze until I saw the new Octavia. Have been waiting for the last 6 months, so what is another 2 or 3 months. If I can get the car that I want, at the price that I want, then it would be well worth the wait. At least that is what I tell myself .
sunny310c is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Doing Eyelids and in a soup prateekpsingh Modifications & Accessories 14 3rd September 2011 20:01
Cops seize bike, land in soup - Do not have power to seize the vehicle dadu Street Experiences 8 24th October 2008 11:35
To soup up the Yellow Wasp: '05 Palio 1.9D rohitgaur Modifications & Accessories 0 21st April 2008 22:08
Wanna soup up my zen libre sito Modifications & Accessories 56 4th January 2008 18:43


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 21:34.

Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks