Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > What Car? > Sedans

Old 24th April 2013, 10:44   #301
BHPian

Default Re: Fish me out of this 15 lac soup!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DocRock View Post
Hey guys, going in for a new diesel sedan.I have narrowed it down to Fluence and Cruze. Both Cost almost the same. I live in the hills of ooty, and often travel to bangalore and coimbatore. Which car would you suggest? I like the power of cruze but its a bit cramped inside. FLuence is refreshing,spacious and looks elegant but lacks power.
Any suggestions?
Am guessing you didn't read the post from dkaile just above yours. Or perhaps you can't wait for a few months or just don't want to buy a Skoda because otherwise, you absolutely have to wait for the new Octavia to be launched, which could happen as early as next month or as late as Oct-Nov, before making a decision.

But if I had to choose between the Cruze and the Fluence, because you are living in Ooty, I think I would go for the torquey engine, stiffer suspension and handling dynamics of the Cruze. But then a lot of it depends on the kind of driver you are and your driving style. If you are the kinds that likes to have that extra bit of torque at your disposal anytime you need it, someone who enjoys overtaking, and someone who likes to accelerate the moment he sees a free stretch of road, then the Cruze is the one for you. But if you are a more sedate driver who would rather take in the sites while cruising than get his pulse racing every time he steps on the gas, then I guess the Fluence would do well for you.
sunny310c is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 24th April 2013, 11:15   #302
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by brraj View Post
Jetta should be your best bet as its spacious, powerful, got looks n good handler.

If you are staying in ooty you should test drive yeti aswell for those occasional mild off roading.
I have seen the jetta, it is quite good with awesome build quality but it lacks features,i can accept that but the dealers here are not offering any kind of discounts,plus my family doesnt like the way it looks.Same goes with the Yeti.
Thanks for the suggestion.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunny310c View Post
Am guessing you didn't read the post from dkaile just above yours. Or perhaps you can't wait for a few months or just don't want to buy a Skoda because otherwise, you absolutely have to wait for the new Octavia to be launched, which could happen as early as next month or as late as Oct-Nov, before making a decision.

But if I had to choose between the Cruze and the Fluence, because you are living in Ooty, I think I would go for the torquey engine, stiffer suspension and handling dynamics of the Cruze. But then a lot of it depends on the kind of driver you are and your driving style. If you are the kinds that likes to have that extra bit of torque at your disposal anytime you need it, someone who enjoys overtaking, and someone who likes to accelerate the moment he sees a free stretch of road, then the Cruze is the one for you. But if you are a more sedate driver who would rather take in the sites while cruising than get his pulse racing every time he steps on the gas, then I guess the Fluence would do well for you.
Ya i read the octavia thread, it looks awesome and im sure its an impeccable vehicle, but nobody is sure about the launch, if it is next month for sure then i would wait but if it is in oct or nov, then i don't know cause i need a car. And i don't think im a sedate driver, i don drive rash but i like to keep the engine on a slight boil.
Thanks for the suggestion, i will visit the skoda showroom and try to procure some information.
DocRock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th April 2013, 03:34   #303
BHPian

Question Going Head vs Heart

Hello friends,

Story :The Beat was puchased 2years 10 months back. This was not my first car. My previous ride was an OHC with 60k on the odo when purchased. The odo while selling was 70k.
The Beat was my first "new" car. Liquidity at that time was an issue and i had settled with the base model. I had paid the entire cash upfront.The Beat was purchased basically because i needed a car at that time and this was the only thing fitting in my budget.

Initially i was very happy with the car and i still am not unsatisfied. The car has 13k on the odo. Over the years i have started loosing the heart for the car. The Beat is having no issues but I do not feel like driving it any more. I have always had a fetish for meaner powerful machines.

Year 2013: I am more stable now, and the fact that i can keep and afford a bigger and more powerful car is giving me sleepless nights. My daily travel is very less. As you can see the car has done only 13k over 2.5 years. I have my office provided car to pick me up and drop me .I use my car basically for party outings, night drives , sunday drives , etc.

The dilemma started when i wanted to upgrade my car . There is basically no need for it so the head is saying a simple "NO". My monthly run is almost nothing, the Beat is serving well , they why do i need to invest in a new car asks the head.

I can go for a bigger car by not bothering much, i would not be effected financially much, its always fun to own a nice car. My heart would not settle for a small upgrade ,if the head agrees to and the purchase is made withing the next 30 days then the possible open options are:

Chevy Cruze, Renault Fluence, Hyundai Elantra

If i keep the Beat for now for next 1 year or so i wo'nt mind going a segment higher

But somewhere i am still confused whether to upgrade or keep !
petroheadd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th April 2013, 11:01   #304
BHPian

Default Re: Going Head vs Heart

Go for the new car, since you have said:
1)It wont effect you financially.
2)You are tired of the beat.
3) Car is for night drives, sunday drives, etc ,right? That means you love to drive.
4) Since you do not use the car for daily commute, getting a larger car wont be cumbersome in traffic/parking situations. (advantage of the beat negated)
5) You got one life..Live it the way you want !
Cheers !
pyrodrive is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 18th May 2013, 09:51   #305
Distinguished - BHPian

Note: Replying in the relevant thread
Quote:
Originally Posted by vyasachetan View Post
Its ambiente mt...2012 model cause the on road price was 18.4 and after discount he gave it at 15.6.
IMO Its not really worth to go for a 2012 Ambition MT. The car is quite basic, tuned for 110bhp (instead of 140bhp in the AT variants). I will suggest waiting for the new Octavia launch, or checking other models. For e.g.; a Renault Fluence E2 should come cheaper than this.
vb-san is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 25th May 2013, 19:41   #306
BHPian

Default JETTA TDI MT HIGHLINE Test Drive Experience

My experience on the Jetta Test Drive.

So i started by booking a test drive on the VW website. I got a call within 10 minutes from VW who took my details and said they would forward my details to the Thane Showroom. They also informed me on a tonne of offers that are going on for the Jetta including free insurance, exchange bonus, corporate bonus, Old stock bonus etc. I asked if the dealer would offer the same and he said that the dealer will offer the same.

I waited till the next day for a call from the showroom, none came. So next day i called the thane showroom, it was answered by a lady. I told her i wanted to inquire about test driving the Jetta. She replied asking if i had spoken to any sales Representative before, i said no and she said she would have a sales representative call me within 10 minutes. I said ok and ended the call. Waited for about 3 hours for the call.. none came.

Then i decided to take my family and visit the showroom. When i reached there and spoke at the reception they asked me to wait while a sales rep could be assigned. In about 2 minutes i was pointed towards a lady halfway across the showroom, with the instruction that she would help me on the Jetta and something was yelled out to her. Unfortunately the lady mistook the people in front of me to be the people interested in the Jetta and started engaging them in a discussion on the Jetta. Anyways after a couple of minutes it took to clear the confusion, where i actually had to go up and tell her that Madam i am interested in the Jetta and not the other person who was equally confused as to why he was being bombarded with Jetta information when he wanted the Vento.

Anyways confusion cleared I asked her for a test drive of the Jetta Automatic. She said they dont have the Automatic for Test Drives. She offered the Jetta Highline MT. I agreed so she went to set up the test drive. Looked around the showroom and could not find a single Jetta in the showroom. I definitely was very disappointed. The we started disucssing pricing and thats where i got the second shock. She gave me the prices of both the AT and MT highline and she said thats it these are the official prices. I asked her about the discounts and she said no discounts are available. Then i told her that i was told of many discounts on the phone by the VW Sales person. Her response was that .. oh yes there is free insurance if you take manual and thats it and no discounts on AT. She seemed to be pushing me to consider the trendline or Comfortline compared to the highline AT. She said that Automatic will take time to deliver.. Overall i was putoff by this discussion and her apparent lack of interest.

Finally the car was ready for the TD and off we went. you can imagine my shock when i switched on the engine and the MID shows me a fuel effiecieny of 7.1Kmpl and then it just got worse... the vibrations of the engine was so bad that I could feel the same through the cluctch and accelerator pedals and in my leg. And engine noise was present in the cabin (inspite of all glasses being rolled up). The odo showed that it had done only 8000 KM. The shock absorbers of the car were so bad that i felt my i10 was way better than the Jetta in absorbing the bumps in the road. I asked the Sales lady about this and her explanation was that this is TD vehicle and hence this condition.

Anways was very dissappointed and now i am lost as to which vehicle to buy. I had shortlisted the Jetta after a lot of research on the web, forums etc. But the ultimate proof is in the pudding.. and i was not prepared for this. The TD has totally shaken my confidence in the Jetta.

In my reasearch i had reviewed and rejected the following cars
- Skoda Laura - Pathetic Service
- Toyota Corolla - Less Power, No Automatic, very old model, fewer features
- Hyundai Elantra - Very Flashy, To much chrome, too sporty for my taste, and the insides feel cheap
- Honda - No Diesel option

Jetta was the only one that fullfilled the following criteria
- Diesel
- Automatic
- Premium feel interiors
- Large boot space and interiors
- No major complaints on the Service front (Definitely better than skoda)

But now the following points have put me off the Jetta based on the TD
- To much Noise and Vibration in the cabin
- Horrible shocks
- Fuel efficiency highly questionable

So now what folks.. any other options.
jinu_joseph is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 25th May 2013, 19:57   #307
BHPian

Default Re: JETTA TDI MT HIGHLINE Test Drive Experience

You must have got a very badly abused TD car or the tyre pressure must have been high. Yes, the Jetta's suspension is a bit on the stiff side, but no way is it uncomfortable. I have a 6 month old Jetta CL, and I can vouch for its handling and FE. Its also very quiet. Yes, you can still hear the diesel clatter a bit, but in no way is it bad. The FE that I am getting is about 17kmpl (50% highway and 50% city with AC on 100%). The discount on the Jetta is close to 2L in Bangalore when I last talked to the sales person.
shivasuma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th May 2013, 20:09   #308
BHPian

just got their quote on mail. Discount of only 89k (free insurance + Corporate Disc)
jinu_joseph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th May 2013, 22:01   #309
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jinu_joseph View Post
just got their quote on mail. Discount of only 89k (free insurance + Corporate Disc)
I have a jetta highline at, it's a dream to drive .yes the suspension is stiff but that aides to the excellent handling. VW thane was very disappointing even for me, try VW downtown you will be blown away. Contact person mr Pravin Shetty You can give refference a a. Doc from Mulund...he will get you the best deal.
docaxe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th May 2013, 09:18   #310
ZMG
BHPian

I think it is just pathetic service for an aspirational and luxury brand. You should really leave a note on Volkswagenofficial website. Skoda is trying to pull up their socks and clean up their act. As one of their potential customers for a flagship product you should DEFINITELY get a much better service.
About the car: had been for a ride in the new one sometime back. The car definitely feels good on good roads. On bad roads, it was okayish. I wouldn't complain, but my grandmother would. Apart from that, I have heard that fuel efficiency is very good. The only serious drawback I see is, Volkswagen still isn't ready to handle the huge volume of cars at service centers, resulting in huge waiting times, and if an unfortunate accident happens, then you got to make sure, you have another ride at home. The car may be reliable, the service centers are not.
ZMG is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 26th May 2013, 10:40   #311
BHPian

It seems you forgot chevy cruze to test,Being an owner of the cruze automatic i have no complaints on any of the parameteres you have mentioned.Give it a try
vindrider2626 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th May 2013, 12:20   #312
BHPian

Not surprising to hear this poor response from the VW sales staff. I have heard several stories from my friends and they all seem to be identical. A "luxury" brand with poor customer centric attitude. The dealership's sales attitude is normally a yardstick of what one can expect on the after sales service front. So better watch out. Go to a different dealer or look for a different brand vehicle. The Cruze is certainly a worthy alternative if you are comfortable with the lesser hyped brand image of Chevrolet.
fuel_addict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th May 2013, 12:47   #313
BHPian

Actually cruze was on my short list for quite some time, having owned the Optra earlier, i really loved it. But it was knocked off my list for the following reasons
- Very bad FE (ranging from 7-12 kmpl) city traffic (based on inputs from a friend who has had it for quite some time
- The brand Chevy is not doing very well in India and just to confirm this the Chevy Showroom/service centre close to my house got converted to a Honda Showroom.
- no Bluetooth
- features less than that offered by other brands.

Well wifey loves the elantra.. so i guess the elantra it will be.. lets see planned a test drive for next weekend as the showroom did not have an elantra for TD this weekend.
jinu_joseph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th May 2013, 14:27   #314
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
But now the following points have put me off the Jetta based on the TD
- To much Noise and Vibration in the cabin
- Horrible shocks
- Fuel efficiency highly questionable
Noise and vibration sounds strange. The car is well build and shielded. Secondly its a diesel. Do not expect a petrol like silence. There will be the feel of the engine but that cannot be called vibrations and sounds. The newer car has the right shielding as well.

Shocks are pretty good. Specially they are set hard. They will definitely run over those bad roads with ease. In fact its better to drive over them than slow down. The shocks of the new generation jetta is actually slightly softer than the MKV personally to me.

Lastly in city, on a back to back traffic this TDI will give a FE around 13-15 in MT, and around 13 in AT and in highway i have seen mine give close to 25 driving at 100kmp or below.
VW2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th May 2013, 15:44   #315
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jinu_joseph View Post
Actually cruze was on my short list for quite some time, having owned the Optra earlier, i really loved it. But it was knocked off my list for the following reasons
- Very bad FE (ranging from 7-12 kmpl) city traffic (based on inputs from a friend who has had it for quite some time
- The brand Chevy is not doing very well in India and just to confirm this the Chevy Showroom/service centre close to my house got converted to a Honda Showroom.
- no Bluetooth
- features less than that offered by other brands.

Well wifey loves the elantra.. so i guess the elantra it will be.. lets see planned a test drive for next weekend as the showroom did not have an elantra for TD this weekend.
I was in a similar boat as you about a year back and got the similar treatment from vw regarding test drive of jetta. I was offered Passat in place of Jetta citing that both are similar Passat being a little bit bigger,shocked I declined politely and decided to wait for jetta td vehicle for I was madly in love with jetta. 2 months later got fed up and bought a cruze after doing a comparison test with elantra- elantra being a puffed up verna was rejected 5 min into the test drive. What to say very happy with my cruze
Attached Images

drchernish is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote