Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > What Car? > Sedans

Old 4th September 2013, 20:56   #346
BHPian

Default Re: Fish me out of this 15 lac soup!

Quote:
Originally Posted by vb-san View Post
Option 1: Wait for the new Octavia. If reports are to be believed, the 1.8 TSI with DSG should arrive in India.

Option 2: Since its 100% self driven, save around 5+ lakhs and get a Polo GT TSI.
Wait for the Octavia is definitely on.
This will be the only car used, so he is considering a sedan and not a hatch.
karty_83 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 4th September 2013, 21:42   #347
Awaiting Email Confirmation

Quote:
Originally Posted by karty_83 View Post
Wait for the Octavia is definitely on.
This will be the only car used, so he is considering a sedan and not a hatch.
The Skoda Octavia has not been released as a Sedan anywhere in the world including India. Nearly everyone in India has the misconception that the Octavia is a sedan.

http://www.whatcar.com/car-reviews/s...ummary/26170-5

Even the Superb is a hatchback.
http://www.whatcar.com/car-reviews/s...mmary/25794-5/

Both have a big boot but they are hatchbacks.

The only sedan released by Skoda in India is the smaller RAPID. SKODA's bigger cars are hatchbacks.
drpullockaran is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 4th September 2013, 22:36   #348
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by drpullockaran View Post
The Skoda Octavia has not been released as a Sedan anywhere in the world including India. Nearly everyone in India has the misconception that the Octavia is a sedan.

The only sedan released by Skoda in India is the smaller RAPID. SKODA's bigger cars are hatchbacks.
Irrespective of what Whatcar says, a more appropriate description would be notchback.
StarScream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th September 2013, 22:45   #349
BHPian

Quote:

You are 'technically' correct in saying that the Octavia and Superb are hatchbacks; however, with more than the half of the Indian junta ignorant of what ACTUALLY a hatchback or a sedan means, they will continue to consider them as sedans.

In India (irrespective of how their boots open),

Sedan = A car with a big boot
Hatchback = A car with a small boot.

Sad, but true.
mohitk1993 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 4th September 2013, 23:55   #350
BHPian

Quote:
Yes I do agree that Octavia is technically not a sedan, but is marketed as one in India and hence the reference.
Guys it would be very helpful if you could share your viewpoints on the requirements post
karty_83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th September 2013, 06:33   #351
BHPian

Here's another confused soul looking for advice. I'm looking at upgrading my 5yr old Palio Stile 1.6 to a C+ segment sedan. More specifically I was looking at the Skoda Laura TSI due to the awesome motor as well as because my monthly running is less than 1000km. Unfortunately in Bangalore, there is no stock of the TSI anywhere. There are discounts being offered on the remaining TDI stocks though.

Given this situation, I'm tempted to go for the TDI especially the DSG version given that it comes with a few more things as standard. I'm sure I'll keep the car for at least 5 yrs or more and I wanted your opinion on if it is a good idea to spend 18/19 odd lakhs on a model that is getting replaced. My concerns were in terms of spares/service and depreciation - in that order.
vignesh.cv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th September 2013, 14:07   #352
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by vignesh.cv View Post
Here's another confused soul looking for advice. I'm looking at upgrading my 5yr old Palio Stile 1.6 to a C+ segment sedan. More specifically I was looking at the Skoda Laura TSI due to the awesome motor as well as because my monthly running is less than 1000km. Unfortunately in Bangalore, there is no stock of the TSI anywhere. There are discounts being offered on the remaining TDI stocks though.

Given this situation, I'm tempted to go for the TDI especially the DSG version given that it comes with a few more things as standard. I'm sure I'll keep the car for at least 5 yrs or more and I wanted your opinion on if it is a good idea to spend 18/19 odd lakhs on a model that is getting replaced. My concerns were in terms of spares/service and depreciation - in that order.
To be very honest, wait for the Octy to launch. Even after it launches there will most probably still be some stock of Lauras. So depending on the Octy variants, and the prices you can decide whether it makes sense to get the Laura, or to just buy the Octy. Not to mention discounts will be even more then. You should be getting a 2l discount now at least right?
Akshay1234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th September 2013, 19:57   #353
Senior - BHPian

As you will notice from the August sales figures, Laura TSI's sales figures are zero. So they seem to have exhausted all stocks of that before the launch of the new Octavia. Now you will be able to get the brilliant 1.8 TSI engine in only the new Octavia, I presume.
dkaile is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 6th September 2013, 08:17   #354
BHPian

@akshay1234, @dkaile - Thanks for the responses. I've gone ahead and booked the Ambiente diesel DSG. Had a look at the car and the newer features offered - they have now the 16" vRS alloys, steering control for music/bluetooth, Skoda bolero audio with SD input and MaxiDOT display. All this plus the fact that the Laura in silver colour was brilliant. The OTR in Bangalore for this model is 20.3, got a discount of 1.3l with my limited negotiation skills.
vignesh.cv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th September 2013, 18:39   #355
BHPian

While struggling with the lot in this segment (D1) I thought it will be a good idea to give a chance to the Linea T-Jet as well. So I took a test drive

TD #2:
Vehicle: Fiat Linea T-Jet Emotion

Positives:
1. 5 yr or 150000 km warranty
2. Spirited driving. The Turbo does kicks in a punch.
3. Good features in its segment especially the Immobilizer with rolling code.
4. All 4 disc brakes.

Negatives:
1. Average interiors.
2. Ride comfort not too good as bumps are evident even in the front seat.
3. No automatic gearbox option.
4. Rear space felt lesser than that of the Honda City.

After feeling the turbo in this 1.4 L 112 bhp machine I have a feeling that the Volkswagon Jetta 1.4L 120 bhp TSI engine would not be a bad option as well.

Tomorrow will be test driving the honda city automatic. Volkswagon guys are still arranging the TD vehicles for me as I request for both the petrol and the diesel AT. Will keep updating my post with my TD experiences.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TorquePeedo View Post
Test drove the Hyundai Elantra 1.8 SX AT (petrol).

Notes

TD #1:

Vehicle: Hyundai Elantra 1.8 SX AT (petrol)

Positives:
1. The drive was decently fun, probably the manual transmission would be even better in terms of sporty or fun drive.
2. Ventilated front seats.
3. Electronically adjustable driver seat.
4. Elegant design (both exterior and interior).
5. Roomy cabin.

Negatives:
1. AT feels little sluggish in the second gear. It feels like there is a lag as felt with a turbo (This is the first time I drove an AT so maybe all AT behave this way)
2. Tiptronic does not feel natural (again it could be because I was driving an AT for the first time)
3. Boot space is less as compared to Jetta and Laura.
4. Rear seats do not fold to give more boot space.
5. The build does not feel solid like the Europeans.

Awaiting TD of manual transmission of Elantra 1.8 SX, VW Jetta 1.4 TSI, Skoda Octavia 1.8 TSI, VW Jetta 2.0 TDI
TorquePeedo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th September 2013, 21:57   #356
BHPian

Any news of the new Skoda Octavia? The website does not give details of variants and prices yet.
TorquePeedo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th September 2013, 17:28   #357
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TorquePeedo View Post
Tomorrow will be test driving the honda city automatic. Volkswagon guys are still arranging the TD vehicles for me as I request for both the petrol and the diesel AT. Will keep updating my post with my TD experiences.
Is the Honda City AT available right now ? AFAIK Honda has stopped production of the City, so in case the dealer has stock try to get as sweet a discount as possible
Also which dealer are you talking to ?
Baddychat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th September 2013, 17:31   #358
Senior - BHPian

^^^

Production of AT, E and corporate variants have been stopped, rest still in production.
bluevolt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th September 2013, 19:21   #359
BHPian

My personal opinion is to go for Cruz if you don't sell it for next 5 years. The all new one is amazing both in under hood capabilities and the features. But I guess It will be slightly more than 16L on road. But you will never regret.
Nikz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th March 2014, 22:21   #360

Default Need suggestions for sedan below 16L

Dear friends,

I am looking for a new car for my own use. This is my first post, so please bear with me for any formatting shortcomings..!

Here are my usage details:
  • Maximum time will be spent on day to day commute (20-30 mins each way) to office in traffic conditions with 5-6 speed breakers each way
  • Around 4-6 long drives in a year, mostly over weekends. During long drives i usually do 100-120kph for most part and that too on straight lines. Hence cornerning at high speeds etc. is only 'nice to have' but not a 'must'.

Must have's:

(a) Driver's comfort
  • Slick gear shifts with short throw
  • Fewer gear changes during slow traffic
  • Clutch hardness & elevation that doesnt strain the left ankle
  • Handling - just enough for above usage (not going to do high speed cornerning etc.)

(b) general comfort
  • Low noise (road/wind/tyre)
  • Ride quality must be top notch for city drive (should be able to absorb speed breakers) as well as long drives
  • Good thigh support
  • Just enough head room would do - Most in the family are 5'6" or below
Fuel choice is not a major factor - though Diesel would help to minimize the number of times i need to visit fuel stations.

Would like to keep the car for 4-5 yrs. Good resale value would be good but not necessarily the top priority

Open to AT option as well

Brands to exclude:
Tata, Mahindra - No appeal (personal choice, no offense intended)
Skoda, VW - horror A.S.S stories

I am listing my TD experience so far, but one thing i would like to highight: I couldn't quite distinguish the ride quality (may be due to the stetch of the roads i tested) and i hope to tap in to the knowledge of the experts.

Linea Diesel & Tjet

Pros:
  • Good thigh support, ride was fine, handling was good
Cons:
  • Clutch was stressful due to high angle, Gear shifts were rubbery (TD with an old MJD TD vehicle was almost unmanageable. so confidence is a bit low on that)
Shortage of less leg room at the rear

Verna Diesel

Pros:
  • nothing that stood out, the price point may be!
Cons:
  • road noise!
  • handling was average.
  • Clutch still had some distance to go even when you thought you had it at the bottom most (at least twice in the TD the car jumped/stalled due to this)
City Diesel

Pros:
  • rear bench most spacious of all cars i have TD'd so far
  • Gear box was slick (though bringing the box 6 inches back, towards the driver would avoid stretching that little bit)
Cons:
  • suspension sounded a bit stiff (when it crossed one of the speed breaker i was 'literally' in the air).
  • There was a loud 'whoosh' when idle, i could hear it some 6-8 cars away in our car park. Once you get in you wont notice much though.
Fluence Diesel

Pros:
  • weighted steering that is awesome for both slow and fast speeds
  • gears were smooth
  • handling was good, checked around 120kph
  • ride was fine
  • wasn't sure about NVH, but i think it might be fine

Cons:
  • a little more thigh support may be, but not too big an issue
  • nothing else as such (except for the fact that 1.5L engine is same as the one in a common cab?)

Cruze
Pros:
  • I could do 60-140 in the 4th gear itself!
  • it looked the most powerful and the ride was awesome. during a few stretches it felt as if there was no road beneath!
Cons:
  • Gear shifts were a bit jerky, not as bad as Elantra but each time i shifted a gear i couldnt acccelerate without a mild jerk (more prominent in gears 1-3)
Elantra Diesel

Pros:
  • all the gadgets, perforated seats and stuff like that..
Cons:
  • gear shifts were the most jerky of the lot. How much ever i tried, each time i changed from 1 to 2 or 2 to 3, there was a slight jerk.
  • Biggest turn off was the rear bench - not enough thigh support which forced me to stretch my legs, but there is absolutely no room beneath the driver seat to slide your feet in. I became restless even in the 20 min TD. Potential deal breaker.
  • After testing Elantra, every time i check any car i am actually making sure i double-check for the gap under the front seats.
  • Many reviews mentioned it to have good rear bench, but to me it was the least ranked among all the ones i TD'd here

Corolla/Fiesta:
Couldn't TD as they dont have TD vehicles until the new ones get released in a month or two.

I have been reading a lot to figure out what is the best choice for my needs.
It might als obe obvious that i am a bit confused!

The thread 'influenced by Fluence'
by member Brishti has been a big influence on me so far
As of now giving a lot of weightage to Fluence, but surprisingly there are very few ownership reports/experiences on Fluence.
The fact that another member Motoholik also had similar needs on ride and ended up with Fluence keeps it very much in the race. Thanks to both the members for their specific posts (and of course many others who have posted on other cars as well!)

Cruze is also tempting, but reading the reviews is not giving me clear nudge towards either Cruze or Fluence or to any other particular car. I read some reviews where Fluence is rated much better than Cruze and ride quality is very high on my list of needs.

Looking foward to your valuable advices..
jumanji is offline   Reply With Quote