Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > What Car? > Sedans


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 7th July 2014, 18:52   #421
BHPian
 
mav2000's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 567
Thanked: 118 Times
Default Re: Fish me out of this 15 lac soup!

So, I seem to have fallen into this same trap as well. Sold my Cedia for a princely sum of Rs. 4 lacs and have not had a car for a month.

I did go and promptly book a Honda City VX manual, but thats going to take atleast another month to arrive. In the meanwhile, I am stuck with no car and lots of shattered dreams.

Let me put things in perspective first:

1. Hyundai Verna - Didnt like the ride at all and for some reason the middle console put me off.
2. Fiat Linea - Brilliant engine but a mushy gearbox and insipid interiors left me completely cold. I mean, the door lining is a thick black rubber as compared to beige all around. And some of the plastics on the seat adjusters feel like they will break off. I great car to drive, but a bit too rough around the edges.
3. Skoda Octavia 1.4 TSi - Brilliant car to drive, but with no discounts, this was way above my budget. I absolutely loved everything about it and infact was going all out to make sure I can get it. I had convinced myself on everything, but when the sales guy told me that if you dont take our insurance then we wont sell you the extended warranty, I was a bit shocked. Also without extended warranty, I was kind of a bit worried on buying a skoda.
4. VW Jetta - Liked the interiors, but found out they dont have a petrol, so out it went.
5. New Corolla - Again, liked the interiors, but I felt the base version is a bit too stripped for my liking. I mean a 15 lac car with no alloys? Also very boring to drive. interiors were nice though.
6. Elentra - Nothing to like at all, other than vented seats. Drives like a boat and again hated the centre console.

So now I am basically stuck with no car and no choice.... my heart beats for the TSI, but with Skoda not budging on the discount and a hefty outflow every month and once a year for the insurance, I kind of scrapped the idea.

I like the Honda City. Its a nice practical car and has all the bells and whistles, but it just does not pull at my heart strings....so this is my 15 lac soup.

My wife is against the 2nd hand car story, but taking into account that interest rates will be upwards of 13.75-14% it probably makes little sense.
mav2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th July 2014, 19:23   #422
BANNED
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Meerut
Posts: 381
Thanked: 220 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mav2000 View Post
So, I seem to have fallen into this same trap as well. Sold my Cedia for a princely sum of Rs. 4 lacs and have not had a car for a month.

I did go and promptly book a Honda City VX manual, but thats going to take atleast another month to arrive. In the meanwhile, I am stuck with no car and lots of shattered dreams.

Let me put things in perspective first:

1. Hyundai Verna - Didnt like the ride at all and for some reason the middle console put me off.
2. Fiat Linea - Brilliant engine but a mushy gearbox and insipid interiors left me completely cold. I mean, the door lining is a thick black rubber as compared to beige all around. And some of the plastics on the seat adjusters feel like they will break off. I great car to drive, but a bit too rough around the edges.
3. Skoda Octavia 1.4 TSi - Brilliant car to drive, but with no discounts, this was way above my budget. I absolutely loved everything about it and infact was going all out to make sure I can get it. I had convinced myself on everything, but when the sales guy told me that if you dont take our insurance then we wont sell you the extended warranty, I was a bit shocked. Also without extended warranty, I was kind of a bit worried on buying a skoda.
4. VW Jetta - Liked the interiors, but found out they dont have a petrol, so out it went.
5. New Corolla - Again, liked the interiors, but I felt the base version is a bit too stripped for my liking. I mean a 15 lac car with no alloys? Also very boring to drive. interiors were nice though.
6. Elentra - Nothing to like at all, other than vented seats. Drives like a boat and again hated the centre console.

So now I am basically stuck with no car and no choice.... my heart beats for the TSI, but with Skoda not budging on the discount and a hefty outflow every month and once a year for the insurance, I kind of scrapped the idea.

I like the Honda City. Its a nice practical car and has all the bells and whistles, but it just does not pull at my heart strings....so this is my 15 lac soup.

My wife is against the 2nd hand car story, but taking into account that interest rates will be upwards of 13.75-14% it probably makes little sense.
Why don't you take a look at the new Ford fiesta if rear seat space is not a big consideration?
Otherwise its the honda city that makes a very sensible car although you could consider the AT as well.
ToyotaFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th July 2014, 19:44   #423
Distinguished - BHPian
 
drmohitg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Delhi
Posts: 4,479
Thanked: 3,624 Times
Default Re: Fish me out of this 15 lac soup!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mav2000 View Post
4. VW Jetta - Liked the interiors, but found out they dont have a petrol, so out it went.
Doesn't the Jetta too come with that 1.4 TSI motor or has that been discontinued now?
drmohitg is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 7th July 2014, 20:46   #424
Senior - BHPian
 
IshaanIan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Hyd/B'lore
Posts: 2,438
Thanked: 3,133 Times
Default Re: Fish me out of this 15 lac soup!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mav2000 View Post
So, I seem to have fallen into this same trap as well. Sold my Cedia for a princely sum of Rs. 4 lacs and have not had a car for a month.

I did go and promptly book a Honda City VX manual, but thats going to take atleast another month to arrive. In the meanwhile, I am stuck with no car and lots of shattered dreams.

So now I am basically stuck with no car and no choice.... my heart beats for the TSI, but with Skoda not budging on the discount and a hefty outflow every month and once a year for the insurance, I kind of scrapped the idea.

I like the Honda City. Its a nice practical car and has all the bells and whistles, but it just does not pull at my heart strings....so this is my 15 lac soup.

My wife is against the 2nd hand car story, but taking into account that interest rates will be upwards of 13.75-14% it probably makes little sense.
The way I see it, you can either make calls and find a 1.4tsi Jetta that might still be in stock at VW or hound some Maruti guys to find a Kizashi that might be lying around. Otherwise your only other option is the T-Jet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToyotaFan View Post
Why don't you take a look at the new Ford fiesta if rear seat space is not a big consideration?
Otherwise its the honda city that makes a very sensible car although you could consider the AT as well.
The man has come from a 2 litre Mitsubishi Cedia The engine might not have had brilliant figures but in the real world, it did perform well and was quite torquey from the get-go. That Mitsubishi really was the complete package: reliable, spacious, good engine, good gearbox, brilliant suspension, stiff chassis and precise steering. The Fiesta has the dynamic capabilities to emulate that but the heart it comes with, just wouldn't satisfy me if I were in mav2000's place Besides, the Fiesta no longer comes with a petrol heart. (not that that 1.5l unit was anything to talk about)

Last edited by IshaanIan : 7th July 2014 at 21:01.
IshaanIan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th July 2014, 21:18   #425
Senior - BHPian
 
shashank.nk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 1,520
Thanked: 732 Times
Default Re: Fish me out of this 15 lac soup!

Quote:
Originally Posted by IshaanIan View Post
The way I see it, you can either make calls and find a 1.4tsi Jetta that might still be in stock at VW or hound some Maruti guys to find a Kizashi that might be lying around. Otherwise your only other option is the T-Jet.
I called VW whitefield and they said 1.4tsi is available,this was just a week ago.

Btw,is the Kizashi still on sale ? I thought it was discontinued.

We're also in the market for a new car after dropping all used car plans,only difference is its not going to be self-driven much. Just 30 days in a year may be,not more than that. Similar budget of ~15l. Drove the Jetta and loved it,but even the Jetta comfortline is 20.22 before discounts!
shashank.nk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th July 2014, 21:26   #426
Senior - BHPian
 
IshaanIan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Hyd/B'lore
Posts: 2,438
Thanked: 3,133 Times
Default Re: Fish me out of this 15 lac soup!

Quote:
Originally Posted by shashank.nk View Post
I called VW whitefield and they said 1.4tsi is available,this was just a week ago.

Btw,is the Kizashi still on sale ? I thought it was discontinued.

We're also in the market for a new car after dropping all used car plans,only difference is its not going to be self-driven much. Just 30 days in a year may be,not more than that. Similar budget of ~15l. Drove the Jetta and loved it,but even the Jetta comfortline is 20.22 before discounts!
Kizashi's haven't been imported into India for years. I wouldn't be surprised if there were one or two lying around in stock yards though.

Since you don't seem to be an out and out driving enthusiast (or perhaps just too busy ) why not look at the Elantra? If you want the best of both worlds (and IMO the best all-rounder), please check out the Fluence and if you don't mind a petrol, just go for the Jetta 1.4tsi

Cannot consciously recommend the Corolla for its lack of safety and quite a few other bits, at the price. Otherwise it is a pretty solid car.

Last edited by IshaanIan : 7th July 2014 at 21:28.
IshaanIan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th July 2014, 21:39   #427
BHPian
 
mav2000's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 567
Thanked: 118 Times
Default

Will call VW whitefield tomorrow. Was it 20+ for the 1.4? I guess it's for the diesel.
mav2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th July 2014, 21:45   #428
BANNED
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Meerut
Posts: 381
Thanked: 220 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by IshaanIan View Post

The man has come from a 2 litre Mitsubishi Cedia The engine might not have had brilliant figures but in the real world, it did perform well and was quite torquey from the get-go. That Mitsubishi really was the complete package: reliable, spacious, good engine, good gearbox, brilliant suspension, stiff chassis and precise steering. The Fiesta has the dynamic capabilities to emulate that but the heart it comes with, just wouldn't satisfy me if I were in mav2000's place Besides, the Fiesta no longer comes with a petrol heart. (not that that 1.5l unit was anything to talk about)
I completely agree with you on that. There are no drivers cars better than the cedia in that range. I believe it's only the Octavia 1.8 TSI that offers s superior experience but that's 5L above the said budget. Reasons for rejecting the T jet were already given above and so as such no other car meets the criteria.
Although Vento 1.2 TSI can also be given a look. But the petrol motor on city is no slouch either.
ToyotaFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th July 2014, 22:28   #429
Senior - BHPian
 
shashank.nk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 1,520
Thanked: 732 Times
Default Re: Fish me out of this 15 lac soup!

Quote:
Originally Posted by IshaanIan View Post
Kizashi's haven't been imported into India for years. I wouldn't be surprised if there were one or two lying around in stock yards though.
I'm guessing these old stocks,if at all they exist, are best avoided as they would've spent 3 years in the yard!

Quote:
Since you don't seem to be an out and out driving enthusiast (or perhaps just too busy ) why not look at the Elantra? If you want the best of both worlds (and IMO the best all-rounder), please check out the Fluence and if you don't mind a petrol, just go for the Jetta 1.4tsi
All (enthusiastic)driving happens on my Swift Zdi during ~40km commute daily and the few drives over weekends.
This new car will be for my father who's chauffeur driven 6 days a week. He drives only if the driver takes leave and also Swift isn't available to him as its a pain to park big cars near his office. I drive the car only on long drives but these are only 2-3 times a year. So all in all say self-driving may be for 30 days a year with driver(s) ruining the car on all other days. I'm looking for a car which gives me best of backseat comfort and driving pleasure. Only the Jetta fits the above requirements.

Agree with you on the Corolla.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mav2000 View Post
Will call VW whitefield tomorrow. Was it 20+ for the 1.4? I guess it's for the diesel.
Yes 20+ was for diesel comfortline,IIRC 1.4tsi comfortline was 18.x,i'm pretty sure you can knock off a lakh or may be much more if you bargain.
shashank.nk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th July 2014, 00:18   #430
BHPian
 
mav2000's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 567
Thanked: 118 Times
Default

Will surely call them tomorrow. Hopefully it's still there and makes sense to buy. I can get the new Octavia 1.4 tsi for 17.5, so I would be happy if I paid a lot less for this, taking into account that it's phased out and would most probably be a 2013 vin. Let's see.

And yo add to my query, back seat comfort is important and I don't want to buy a diesel as my usage does not go above 400-500 kms in a month.

I have been spoiled silly by the Cedia and I was hoping to get a better car. Now I feel that I made a mistake by selling it. Even though I had it for 6 years it was easy to maintain, no major issues, lovely drive and handling and super smooth engine and gear box.

By the way guys, anything that I need to look out for on this jetta? I guess it's been at the dealers for a while, so anything I should be specifically looking for?

Also wanted to check. The Octavia I was angling for has been in the showroom for more than a month, with most of the plastic covers (seats) taken off. But they still won't offer a discount even though it's been used as a showroom car. It's not been driven though.
mav2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th July 2014, 16:12   #431
BHPian
 
mav2000's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 567
Thanked: 118 Times
Default

Sorry for the double post, but checked with whitefield Volkswagen and the car they have for sale is a test drive car, which as per them has done only 5k kms. I don't know if you can disengage the odo in these cars but if you can I am sure they have. Also it's a 2012 model, with obviously no extended warranty. On top of that they are asking for 15.5 L for it, so I guess I can safely rule this out.

That puts me back in the quandary now.
mav2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th July 2014, 16:44   #432
Senior - BHPian
 
shashank.nk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 1,520
Thanked: 732 Times
Default Re: Fish me out of this 15 lac soup!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mav2000 View Post
That puts me back in the quandary now.
Since I wasn't interested in a petrol didn't go into particulars of the car,based on what you've posted,this car is best avoided. TD TSi car means lots of pedal to metal drives in the 5k kms.

Was the Elantra so bad ? I drove the Verna and that was very average,thought the Elantra was better based on reviews. Octavia seems very expensive for what it offers,besides you have to deal with Skoda service!
shashank.nk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th July 2014, 17:08   #433
BHPian
 
mav2000's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 567
Thanked: 118 Times
Default

No offense to the owners, but Elentra just didn't do it for me. Very boring to drive and the interiors were very tacky. My personal opinion though.

Also keep in mind in drove the petrol.
mav2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th July 2014, 17:36   #434
BHPian
 
niranjanrvce's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Bay Area
Posts: 315
Thanked: 329 Times
Default Re: Fish me out of this 15 lac soup!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mav2000 View Post
I don't know if you can disengage the odo in these cars but if you can I am sure they have. Also it's a 2012 model, with obviously no extended warranty.
Stay away from that car - disengaged odo is a high probability and it's already been through 5K kms of torture at the least.

If you can't get your hands on a good deal for the Jetta/Octavia, please test drive the T-Jet again. Was the one you test drove the old one or the new one with refreshed interiors? Trust me, the interiors will grow on you over time, the joy of the drive itself can't as much.
Coming from the lovely Cedia, you'll be a tad disappointed by the way the City drives if you like pushing the car. The engine will hold up but not the handling or the steering or the ride quality. On the other hand, you'll love the T-jet for the way it responds to everything you do behind the wheel. And that extra torque from the turbo will be a brand new toy to play with as well.
niranjanrvce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th July 2014, 18:26   #435
BHPian
 
mav2000's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 567
Thanked: 118 Times
Default

Tjet- like I said is definitely a drivers car, but parts of the interiors just don't cut it for a 11-12 lac car. Some of the plastics are just downright cheap and does not have the built to last feel about them. I think I should probably push for some discounts on the Octavia or settle for the city. Have been driving my brio around town and it's just so much fun to drive. The vtec engine is actually growing on me now.

On the Octavia, they don't want to give any discounts even though the car has been in the showroom for the last 40-60 days with not much interest for the low end tsi. You guys think I can push on a discount? And what kind of discount?
mav2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Doing Eyelids and in a soup prateekpsingh Modifications & Accessories 14 3rd September 2011 20:01
Cops seize bike, land in soup - Do not have power to seize the vehicle dadu Street Experiences 8 24th October 2008 11:35
To soup up the Yellow Wasp: '05 Palio 1.9D rohitgaur Modifications & Accessories 0 21st April 2008 22:08
Wanna soup up my zen libre sito Modifications & Accessories 56 4th January 2008 18:43


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 09:15.

Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks