Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > What Car? > Sedans

Old 9th July 2014, 14:38   #436
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: Fish me out of this 15 lac soup!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mav2000 View Post
So, I seem to have fallen into this same trap as well. Sold my Cedia for a princely sum of Rs. 4 lacs and have not had a car for a month.

Let me put things in perspective first:

3. Skoda Octavia 1.4 TSi - Brilliant car to drive, but with no discounts, this was way above my budget. I absolutely loved everything about it and infact was going all out to make sure I can get it. I had convinced myself on everything, but when the sales guy told me that if you dont take our insurance then we wont sell you the extended warranty, I was a bit shocked. Also without extended warranty, I was kind of a bit worried on buying a skoda.
I have it in writing from Tafe that they do give extended warranty for cars whose insurance is bought from outside.
aseem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th July 2014, 19:33   #437
BHPian

Guys, to add to the mix, now I am planning to see a used Skoda Laura, 2011 model, diesel 2.0 TDI, manual. Done around 13k kms only. Dos this make more sense than the City? Its a class higher, but I am not too sure on the Lauras issues till now, so anything that I need to look out for?
mav2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th July 2014, 20:03   #438
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Guys, to add to the mix, now I am planning to see a used Skoda Laura, 2011 model, diesel 2.0 TDI, manual. Done around 13k kms only. Dos this make more sense than the City? Its a class higher, but I am not too sure on the Lauras issues till now, so anything that I need to look out for?
I was also looking for used Laura's a month ago,however majority of the cars I saw were either poorly maintained or accident cases and had sketchy history in general. The well-maintained one's had insane asking price!
We have a Skoda Octavia and were advised to stay away from used Laura's by the service folks as they're expensive to maintain in the long-run and it discontinued model as well.
So unless you're absolutely sure of the history and maintenance,its better you drop plans of a used Laura.
shashank.nk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th July 2014, 21:22   #439
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
If no one buys a used Skoda then I guess there will be no Skoda

City and Laura can't be written in same sentence. Its an insult to a drivers car. Yes City ticks all the boxes, except its just not fun to drive... at all!
aseem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th July 2014, 18:07   #440
BHPian

Hi Folks, Having owning a SX4 and Alto K10 for a while, sold the SX4. Now planning to buy a sedan and need your inputs here to select. Below are the requirements:
• Approx. 10,000 KM’s a year.
• Self driven myself/wify for long drives.
• Mostly used for long drives as Alto K10 & Honda Trigger does the short drives.
• Build Quality (Most Important)
• ABS, EBD, Airbags, Reverse Parking (Most Important)
• Very good on road stability.
• Low Maintenance cost as we would keep it for at least 8 years. We are not fond of keep changing cars.
• Good After Sale Support & Roadside assistances (Bangalore - Salem - Coimbatore)
• Never owned a Diesel car. Hence need your input should I consider Petrol/Diesel? Fuel price not an issue, will manage.
• By owning an SX4 it is good car except the “A” pillar & the blind spot. Still waiting for the replacement car release to have a look.
• Budget Approx. 10 ~ 13L On-Road, Bangalore.
• Pls suggest a better option for the requirement.
yousivakutti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th July 2014, 19:03   #441
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by yousivakutti View Post
Hi Folks, Having owning a SX4 and Alto K10 for a while, sold the SX4. Now planning to buy a sedan and need your inputs here to select. Below are the requirements:
• Approx. 10,000 KM's a year.
• Mostly used for long drives as Alto K10 & Honda Trigger does the short drives.
• Low Maintenance cost as we would keep it for at least 8 years. We are not fond of keep changing cars.
• Good After Sale Support & Roadside assistances (Bangalore - Salem - Coimbatore)
• Never owned a Diesel car. Hence need your input should I consider Petrol/Diesel? Fuel price not an issue, will manage.
• By owning an SX4 it is good car except the "A" pillar & the blind spot. Still waiting for the replacement car release to have a look.
Suggest you to checkout the Honda city petrol, should satisfy most of your requirements. Your yearly running does not really warrant a diesel.

Not suggesting cars from VW group as they will be comparatively expensive to maintain and Verna due to your stability requirement.
y448 is online now   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 13th July 2014, 19:03   #442
D4D
BHPian

Quote:
• Approx. 10,000 KM’s a year.
• By owning an SX4 it is good car except the “A” pillar & the blind spot. Still waiting for the replacement car release to have a look.
I would recommend city petrol. Reasons:
  • Best reliability in segment. Hyundai verna comes close enough. The germans (Rapid and Vento) are not unreliable, but have bad ASS generally
  • 10,000 km a year is not too much running, so a petrol is worth it. So stay away from a diesel car
  • If you're keen on diesel, the german diesels are class leading
  • I think City's VX variant has got parking sensors
  • Honda's maintenance costs are not too expensive
  • Build quality in city is a little inconsistent, from what I have seen in my neighbour's cars
  • Maruti Ciaz is due anytime in Q2 of 2015, so it'll be a long wait
  • Honda's ASS quality is generally good
D4D is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 13th July 2014, 22:24   #443
Senior - BHPian

Default Fish me out of this 15 lac soup!

Quote:
Hi Folks, Now planning to buy a sedan and need your inputs here to select.
First up, I don't feel you need a diesel car, so that's one thing you might want to keep in mind.

The thing with most cars in that segment is that their road manners are not the best. The three brands that excel at it if you ask me are Volkswagen, Fiat and Ford. Either one of the Vento 1.2 TSI or the Linea T-Jet would be a solid choice for you, as would the Fiesta, but none of those cars are the kind I think would be reasonable to own over 8 years.

The City, Verna and Corolla would, but they're not exactly the most planted of cars compared to the former three. It's a tricky balance to get a car that suits your needs, is reasonable to own and has good road manners, but I think the Vento, Fiesta, City and T-Jet would be the best options to check out. You could maybe even hold on and see what the upcoming Maruti Ciaz has to offer.

Personally, I feel the City and Verna are too 'floaty' for my liking, but take a drive of them nonetheless. If you're fine with the ride quality, they're most certainly cars that tick off most of your requirements.

Edit: forgot about your point on build quality. The Europeans and Ford will be slightly ahead of the Japanese/Koreans on this front.

Last edited by iliketurtles : 13th July 2014 at 22:26.
iliketurtles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th July 2014, 22:30   #444
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Pls suggest a better option for the requirement.
The best driver's car in that segment with solid build is the Linea T-Jet. The other driver's car is the Fiesta. But then you need to look out for the diesel in there. Though you dont require one, but do check it out. Who knows, thanks to this new Fiesta, your 10K/year changes to 20!

The new Fiesta is amazing from a pricing viewpoint as well. And loaded to the brim.

Last edited by ampere : 13th July 2014 at 22:31.
ampere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th July 2014, 20:36   #445
BHPian

Folks, Thanks for the inputs. Appreciated. We are planning for a Petrol car. H.City definitely in the list.
Old 15th July 2014, 20:48   #446
BANNED

Quote:
Folks, Thanks for the inputs. Appreciated. We are planning for a Petrol car. H.City definitely in the list.
Honda city is a great car but does not exactly meet your build quality criteria and gives you something which you have not mentioned (SPACE). I know petrolheads don't want to switch to diesel but the Ford Fiesta will meet your build quality needs, stability and handlimg better than the honda. You will have to trade in rear seat space (front seats are better than Honda) but if that can be done you should take a look at the car.
ToyotaFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th July 2014, 21:02   #447
BHPian

@ToyotaFan - We will check the Ford Fiesta. Rear Seat Space not big of issue for next ~6 Years until kid's grownup as teens. Any idea on when the New Fiesta Petrol version would be available? Tnx.
Old 15th July 2014, 21:09   #448
BANNED

Quote:
@ToyotaFan - We will check the Ford Fiesta. Rear Seat Space not big of issue for next ~6 Years until kid's grownup as teens. Any idea on when the New Fiesta Petrol version would be available? Tnx.
The fiesta petrol version is not in the cards as of now. Ford never said they will launch it at a later date. A fiesta with ecoboost would have been the best or even the one with DCT Transmission. Both options would have been good for you but they don't seem to be on the horizon. No point waiting for it. A Honda city is also a great car and if you do not like the diesel it will give you the trouble free ownership experience associated with honda and Toyota.

May be off topic but if a budget is flexible by a couple of lakhs a J model corolla petrol may also be with evaluating.
ToyotaFan is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 19th July 2014, 14:34   #449
BHPian

Hi folks, Could you please provide inputs on ecosport/ecoboost, duster or terrano , which one most suits to the bellow requirements please? Basically kids likes duster and wife likes ecosport. I added terrano into the list. I'd prefer to go high end and petrol version. Do let me know your inputs/suggestion please.

Approx. 10,000 KM’s a year.
Self driven myself/wify for long drives
Mostly used for long drives as Alto K10 & Honda Trigger does the short drives.
Build Quality (Most Important)
ABS, EBD, Airbags, Reverse Parking (Most Important)
Very good on road stability.
Low Maintenance cost as we would keep it for at least 8 years. We are not fond of keep changing cars.
Good After Sale Support & Roadside assistances (Bangalore - Salem - Coimbatore)
Budget Approx. 10 ~ 13L On-Road, Bangalore.
Better Fuel efficiency.

Last edited by yousivakutti : 19th July 2014 at 14:42. Reason: added requirements
Old 19th July 2014, 23:57   #450
BHPian

Quote:
Hi folks, Could you please provide inputs on ecosport/ecoboost, duster or terrano , which one most suits to the bellow requirements please? Basically kids likes duster and wife likes ecosport. I added terrano into the list. I'd prefer to go high end and petrol version. Do let me know your inputs/suggestion please.

Approx. 10,000 KMís a year.
Self driven myself/wify for long drives
Mostly used for long drives as Alto K10 & Honda Trigger does the short drives.
Build Quality (Most Important)
ABS, EBD, Airbags, Reverse Parking (Most Important)
Very good on road stability.
Low Maintenance cost as we would keep it for at least 8 years. We are not fond of keep changing cars.
Good After Sale Support & Roadside assistances (Bangalore - Salem - Coimbatore)
Budget Approx. 10 ~ 13L On-Road, Bangalore.
Better Fuel efficiency.
According to your requirements the best car for you is the Ecosport ecoboost 1.0
Renault and Nissan have less number of service stations in India compared to Ford,As you take you car out for long drives having more service stations will be useful.

The Ecosport handles better than the duster or the terrano and have similar straight line stability,the petrol performance of the Ecosport is better than the the other two.

I personally feel the high-end Ecosport interiors with black leather looks much more modern than the Duster or the Teranno

The ford Ecosport has a good built quality too,comparing the three cars i feel the Ecosport with optional side airbags is the safest,with all the options you will get the Ecosport Ecoboost well under 11.5L otr Bangalore

Thanks&Regards
KN
kn09 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote