Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > What Car? > Sedans

Old 20th July 2014, 18:28   #451
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: Fish me out of this 15 lac soup!

Spent the whole of yesterday TD'ing cars within and way out of my budget to see if I like what fits my budget. Renault,Fiat were not considered.

VW Jetta-Superb car,fun to drive,very spacious,good efficiency,speed masking ability is superb,top notch safety features.

Let down by poor service support,Vento-ish looking CL variant,slightly overpriced and its beginning to show its age now.

Ford Fiesta: Lovely steering and front seats,thoughtful features like auto mirror fold on lock/unlock with puddle lamps,excellent ride and handling balance,superb build quality

Didn't like the rear seat under-thigh support,the armrest hinges are an eyesore and look cheap. Poor plastic quality on lower dash panels,engine is just adequately powerful.

XUV 5OO-I think i'm a sedan guy,that's what I realized after driving this car.

Honda City-Superb interior and boot space almost as much as in Jetta,feature-laden,FTD petrol with superb refinement,good ride quality at low speeds,is the latest launch so will remain "new" for another 5 years

Diesel engine is noisy and low on power,I took a 10km TD of the petrol but promptly returned the diesel after driving a km,just hated it (no offense meant),tinny build quality,soft seats mean backaches on long drives,pricey for a C2 segment sedan

Hyundai Verna-Powerful and refined diesel engine,loaded with features,much improved suspension compared to before,reasonably priced for SX variant,hyundai a.s.s

The rear seat is quite low and is bad on under-thigh support,no rear ac vents like in City,a little old now,steering doesn't inspire confidence at speeds

Hyundai Elantra-Drove the petrol and liked the power on tap,diesel elantra a good 3 lakhs cheaper than Jetta HL diesel,ventilated seats,audio controls on rear armrest,hyundai a.s.s

Diesel was under-powered in comparison to the Jetta,less safety features when compared to Jetta (no 3 point belt and headrest for 5th passenger),steering doesn't inspire confidence at speeds. At a lakh more, Jetta makes more sense for a diesel

Vento will be driven once the new engine'd TD cars are available. I found the old Vento very comfortable at the rear.

So after TDing these cars 2 cars emerged clear winners-Honda City VX i-Vtec which is a good car but isn't exactly something which appeals to your heart. Jetta Diesel CL is the most perfect car,it meets every requirement except that i've to break the bank to own one.

I'm leaning towards a City petrol as of now.
shashank.nk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th July 2014, 19:16   #452
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shashank.nk View Post
I'm leaning towards a City petrol as of now.
Nice to see your feedback after the TD. I'm in the same boat, yet to decide on a City or Ecosport. How much is the ORT Quote for City VX MT Petrol? And how long is the waiting period?
yousivakutti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th July 2014, 19:47   #453
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by yousivakutti View Post
Approx. 10,000 KM’s a year.
Self driven myself/wify for long drives
Mostly used for long drives as Alto K10 & Honda Trigger does the short drives.
Build Quality (Most Important)
ABS, EBD, Airbags, Reverse Parking (Most Important)
Very good on road stability.
Low Maintenance cost as we would keep it for at least 8 years. We are not fond of keep changing cars.
Good After Sale Support & Roadside assistances (Bangalore - Salem - Coimbatore)
Budget Approx. 10 ~ 13L On-Road, Bangalore.
Better Fuel efficiency.
Ecoboost is a newer engine. So no history of after sales record on the maintenance of that engine. Hence cant comment there. On Renault/Nissan: It depends of the type of after sales service. Road side assists can be difficult. But city based service is quite decent to good (at least I can say that for Renault). I cant comment about Nissan. Given a choice between Ecosport (ecosboost) and Fiesta, I would any day pick Fiesta diesel. The only reason in favour of Ecosport would be clearance. But then thats again one's own perception of needs.

Terrano/Duster are very good and stable for highways. They are spacious as well.

So over all I would still suggest the Fiesta diesel. But if you need to go with a premium X-over with space, take the Terrano. But then the price difference is huge.

Last edited by ampere : 20th July 2014 at 19:57.
ampere is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 20th July 2014, 20:03   #454
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Nice to see your feedback after the TD. I'm in the same boat, yet to decide on a City or Ecosport. How much is the ORT Quote for City VX MT Petrol? And how long is the waiting period?
The waiting period was quoted at 2.5 months though I expect it to be more than that once the booking amount changes hands It was 12.56 for the VX MT petrol
shashank.nk is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 21st July 2014, 17:41   #455
BHPian

Today I had been to Magnum Honda Show Room, WoW! The Interior and the view is superb!! I liked each & everything, there is no blind spot! Like I used to have before. Back seat was so comfortable. Plastics are decent. I was about to book on the spot!! The Sales Executive kind of pushing me to SV for fast delivery. However I told him, I will book V only. Then slowly he told me, wait time of ~2 months. I asked him for Tyre upgrade and he suggested to do it outside. May I ask any downside of having the color Golden Brown Metallic? Quote was INR 11.17 for V MT with 3rd & 4th Year Ext. Warranty + RSA & Zero % Dep. An Idol would be free -
yousivakutti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st July 2014, 19:38   #456
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
However I told him, I will book V only. Then slowly he told me, wait time of ~2 months. I asked him for Tyre upgrade and he suggested to do it outside. May I ask any downside of having the color Golden Brown Metallic? Quote was INR 11.17 for V MT with 3rd & 4th Year Ext. Warranty + RSA & Zero % Dep. An Idol would be free -
I experienced the same,SA was recommending SV variant for quicker delivery. The brown metallic is a lovely shade,it may look black under shade so as long as you don't mind black color its an excellent choice. I wonder if the V/VX variants would be delivered within 2 months after the Mobilio launch now.
shashank.nk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th April 2015, 07:23   #457
Senior - BHPian

Default My car upgrade dilemma ( Rs. 15 lakh budget)

I have a lovingly maintained SX4 ZXI “Kali Kaluti” that has been faithfully serving my family for over 7 years now. On weekdays it takes me to the office and during vacation time it transforms itself into a long distance tourer. In the last 7 years it has taken my family to places like Ladakh, Amritsar, Dalhousie, Sach Pass , Manali, Nainital , Dhanaulti. In addition there have been many trips to Chandigarh and Dehradun.

Around two years ago, I started looking for a replacement. The Ford Eco Sport launch was round the corner and this vehicle was very different from the other products in the market. Like everybody else < I was smitten by this CUV and went and booked the Eco Sport TDCI Titanium+ on 26th June 2013 ( the day of its official launch) in India. The car had all the features I wanted (6 airbags, ACC, Bluetooth connectivity and leather interiors). At the time of the launch I was told that the car would be delivered within 2 months.

I kept waiting the wait extended over 2 months and then when I got no assurance from ether Ford India or the dealership about the delivery date, I cancelled my booking. My decision was also effected by Ford’s decision to revise the price of the car twice in quick succession. What appeared to be a good value at Rs. 8.99 lakhs ex show room did not look as attractive post the price hikes. Once the initial infatuation wore off, it also started looking very small especially for long road- trips. With my kids growing up, I need more space.

So the idea of replacing the SX4 got dropped. In any case the car was running just fine. I replaced the tyres and the SX4 settled down for an extended inning with the family.
Time flies and at the end of December 2014, I started looking for a replacement once more. The new Scorpio had been launched. It is a much improved vehicle but I still cannot get used to the rear side of the vehicle ( flat plastic strips) and the interior is still a far cry from what is offered in the C segment Sedans. I was also impressed by the positive reviews the Duster AWD had garnered on the forum (especially Tanveer’s TL in Iceland with the Dacia Duster). My company also started work on a car lease policy which saves on the taxes and with zero initial outgo, makes it that much easier to go in for a car. I went to the Renault Showroom and test -drove the vehicle. I liked the handling and the suspension. A couple of weeks later I took my wife who also liked the vehicle. The Sales Advisor offered us a good deal on a 2014 Duster AWD. I almost wrote the cheque, but doubts about the correctness of the decision resurfaced. The Duster AWD at over Rs. 14 lakh + is not exactly cheap. It has poor interiors, No ACC, the seat height adjustment is primitive and the engine is “just 108 BHP” & it is not even a true blue Renault. It is a Dacia, A brand known for “cheap but reliable products”. On the plus side, it has good mechanicals, It is good to drive within the city as well as for occasional off road trips and can accommodate 4 people and their luggage and is pretty fuel efficient and reliable. My wife summed it up thus “Gadi to theek hai but it does not feel like an upgrade. It does not feel like a Rs. 14 lakh car”.

I started thinking about other alternatives. My wife loves the XUV 500 with its ability to accommodate 7 people. It is also the most feature- rich vehicle in its class and price range and has practically single handedly pummeled the D segment sedans category into submission with its VFM nature. However, there is a fly in the ointment. This car is too over stated and overdressed for my simple tastes. A face lift is around the corner and this vehicle is not out of the reckoning just yet.

Maruti Suzuki has been talking about launching the S Cross which was also displayed at the last Auto Expo, for a long time. This vehicle with a good engine (Petrol/ Diesel 1.6 with good low end torque and decent power) and All Grip AWD comes into the contention. It is more spacious than the Duster (As per Auto Car reviews of the Euro Spec car) and has better interiors. With MSIL service back up, this car tick a lot of right boxes. It may not look like a conventional SUV, but its every day practicality makes up for the lack of typical Macho SUV flair. However, MSIL will take 3-4 months more to launch it. Moreover, it may come with a 1.3 litre engine which does not cut the mustard for me.

Now this brings me to the vehicle which tugs at my heart like no other. The Safari Storme. I had almost bought the Safari Dicor 7 years back (but decided to follow my head and went for the SX4). This vehicle has the most devoted band of followers on Team Bhp. It also features in the most exotic TL’s thanks to the exploits of folks like ADC, Tanveer amongst the others. It is big, it had the most comfortable seating, almost reliable (the Storme) offers a pukka 4WD on a ladder frame chassis and will be “almost civilized” with the changes expected in the new facelift. It will also fall in my budget ( unless Tata Motors springs a nasty surprise with the pricing) and looks good vale in comparison with 5- seater options like the Duster. With A decent Ice system equipped with Blue tooth connectivity, better dashboard, a better engine, this car ticks most of the boxes in my list. Yes it is not as feature rich as the XUV 500 but I can do away with most of the gizmos. What I would like Tata Motors to offer is leather interiors (as with the earlier Storme) and Cruise control & 6 Airbags on the VX.

The wait for the vehicle has turned off a lot of people on the forum and the fresh posts on the Storme thread have almost died out. A lot of people have also been turned off with the news of the new 160 Ps, 400 NM engine not being there in this refresh.
So while have been waiting, I decided to look at what other alternatives were available in the market in a budget of Rs 14-19 lakh. I have been reading a lot about the Skoda Octavia and went to the Skoda Showroom this weekend. The Octavia is beautiful car. I especially like the 1. TSi. However, at over Rs 23 lakh It is grossly overpriced. Ditto for the 2.0 Diesel. Similarly the Jetta is a good car, but even the Trendline ( Diesel) at over 17 lakhs is way over- priced. The 1.4 Petrol is just 122 BHP. A top end Vento is approx. 11 Lakh in Noida. Is the bottom end Jetta worth the extra Rs 6.5 lakh?

I did not check out the Elantra, which is significantly cheaper than its European counterparts but not as accomplished dynamically & the Toyota Corolla Altis is a joke with a puny 88 PS engine which also does duty on the Etios. Toyota charges an arm and a leg for the Corolla, a model which comes with just 2 airbags and is dynamically way inferior to its rivals. However, Toyota has a set of followers which choose to overlook this.

While the Honda City’s, Hyundai Verna and the Maruti Ciaz have upped the game in the C segment by offering higher end versions which do 80 % of what the D segment cars can at 50-60 % lower price, the D segment has been virtually killed by the car companies. They have not indigenized their products and every time the INR depreciates, these cars become more expensive. These companies have not cut prices with the Euro depreciating against the INR in the last 12 months. None of the D segment cars sells over 1000 units / month while the C segment models sell in consistently high numbers.

I want to buy a car. I have a reasonable budget of 14-18 lakh but very few logical options. I believe other car buyers are also faced with the same upgrade dilemma. People replace once Honda City with another rather than upgrading. They have the money but lack of viable option makes them look at other venues of spending this money. International leisure travel has been consistently growing showing that people are willing to spend money if they feel they are getting the right value/experience.

As for me, the wait continues…..

Last edited by khan_sultan : 29th April 2015 at 10:08. Reason: Please format your post properly. Poorly formatted posts affects the forum experience for other readers
rajneeesh is offline   (3) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 29th April 2015, 07:35   #458
BHPian

Default Re: My car upgrade dilemma ( Rs. 15 lakh budget)

The Jetta 1.4 TSI is a super car for your budget. Don't go by the BHP, as you can use a tuning chip to enhance the power/torque for a very reasonable cost.

Check out the features of the car & decide what you absolutely want and what is desirable. In terms of safety & driveability, few cars in that segment will match the Jetta.
rpunwani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th April 2015, 07:43   #459
BHPian

rajneeesh, if XUV is over-worked, perhaps you will find the Aria to your liking?
prakash_ajp is online now   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 29th April 2015, 07:45   #460
BHPian

I faced exactly the same dilemma as you, upgrading from a 6.5 year old SX4 Zxi earlier this year!

I finally went with a Renault Duster despite several second thoughts. While it does not feel like a proper "upgrade", it builds on the traditional SX4 strengths. The only major downer for me is lack of ACC.

My first choice was a Jetta DSG however neither VW nor Skoda could give me a car within a reasonable time frame. I went with the Duster because I needed a car urgently, and don't regret the decision.

I think the problem is that the SX4 does a lot of things well! Despite its poor market perception it is a very accomplished car. So you need to look a few segments ahead to find a real " upgrade".

All the best for your search.
Carmageddon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th April 2015, 08:56   #461
Distinguished - BHPian

Well so you want to change the car to a bigger car for want of space. That effectively rules out all other C segment sedans. Since you almost booked a Duster so I can assume it fits your space requirements. Hence why not wait for the Hyundai ix25? It matches the Duster in exterior dimensions and would be fairly well kitted as most Hyundai cars are.

The D segment is a very niche segment today and it can be either a hit or a miss depending on how you view it. I feel they very aptly fill the huge gap between a 10L C segment car and a 25L D+ segment car. They offer you a more space, more comfort and better handling compared to their C segment counterparts. Do take the TD of the Elantra before completely dismissing it based on the usual boat like handling associated with Hyundais. The SX4 is no great handler and if you were happy with it for so many years over both short and long trips then you might very well find the Elantra a very well rounded product too.
drmohitg is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 29th April 2015, 09:44   #462
BHPian

The XUV is probably the option that ticks most of the boxes. If you can probably wait for the face-lift and it's to your liking and not so much in your face as the current model, I think you can simply go ahead. The engine is pretty good, the vehicle has road presence and the feature list can put any other sub 20 lakh vehicle to shame.

This is the same dilemma which I had been facing while looking for a replacement for my 8+ years old Honda Civic. After a lot of research, I decided to just spruce it up a bit and stick with it for atleast 2 more years for the lack of a viable option. What helped was that the car is still in stellar condition, no issues whatsoever.
coolkurt is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 29th April 2015, 10:00   #463
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Now, that is a real dilemma that I can empathize with since I've been thinking on similar lines, but postponed the upgrade to next year.
I think the good options for you are:
1. XUV
2. Safari Storme
3. S Cross / ix25 if you can wait for their launches
Alternatively, look at the Duster again (as you rightly said, may not feel like an upgrade per se, but it has lot of things going well, except maybe the ability to seat more than 5 people).
Good luck with your decision and purchase, keep us posted on this thread!
NPV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th April 2015, 10:16   #464
BHPian

I was in the same dilemma one and a half years ago as I was looking for an upgrade from my Hyundai Accent. It had to have airy interiors, airbags, ABS , ACC and some gizmos like Bluetooth and a decent ICE thrown in. After checking out all the options in the 10-15 lacs range (I test drove the Safari, Duster, XUV, Scorpio and all the C2 sedans), I zeroed in on the XUV W6. I agree the looks may not be for everyone (It kind of grows on you) , it ticks all the boxes.

I would highly recommend if you check out the upgraded version to be launched shortly. It has the toned down front and looks better than the current one if you feel the current one is slightly over the top. The niggles in the previous editions have also been sorted out. I have done more than 32K in the car and have not faced any issues apart from a nut loose on the front door around the 30K service.
model-t is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 29th April 2015, 10:28   #465
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rpunwani View Post
The Jetta 1.4 TSI is a super car for your budget. Don't go by the BHP, as you can use a tuning chip to enhance the power/torque for a very reasonable cost.
Dear Punwani
The Jetta on road cost is certainly more than the Rs, 15 lacs.

The Trendline TSI in Thane = 16.65 lacs
The Comfortline TSI in Thane= 18.41 lacs

@ 15 lac budget, suggestions are limited to C2 segment.
You will get the top spec variant in the C2 and good pics will be-

1) City iDtec/iVtec VX with Sun roof
2) Ciaz ZDi/ ZXi
3) XuV W4/W6
4) Renault Duster/Nissan Terrano

Else, if you stretch a little more, you can consider the new Hyundai Elantra/ Jetta Trendline or the understated Rocket- Cruze.

Last edited by arnabchak : 29th April 2015 at 10:29.
arnabchak is offline   Reply With Quote