Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > What Car? > Sedans

Old 29th April 2015, 10:39   #466
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rpunwani View Post
The Jetta 1.4 TSI is a super car for your budget. Don't go by the BHP, as you can use a tuning chip to enhance the power/torque for a very reasonable cost.

Check out the features of the car & decide what you absolutely want and what is desirable. In terms of safety & driveability, few cars in that segment will match the Jetta.
Well I am not comfortable sheling out 17 lakhs for this car. At Rs 14 lakh it would have made a lot of sense.

Quote:
Originally Posted by prakash_ajp View Post
rajneeesh, if XUV is over-worked, perhaps you will find the Aria to your liking?
I like the Aria but am more interested in a SUV. If Tata were to launch the Hexagon in the near future I will be most interested. Howeve, knowing TML, they will make us wait of 12-24 months to launch it.

Last edited by Rudra Sen : 29th April 2015 at 11:06. Reason: Back to back post. Please follow board rules.
rajneeesh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th April 2015, 10:45   #467
BHPian

Default Re: My car upgrade dilemma ( Rs. 15 lakh budget)

Quote:
Originally Posted by arnabchak View Post
Dear Punwani
The Jetta on road cost is certainly more than the Rs, 15 lacs.

The Trendline TSI in Thane = 16.65 lacs
The Comfortline TSI in Thane= 18.41 lacs

@ 15 lac budget, suggestions are limited to C2 segment.
You will get the top spec variant in the C2 and good pics will be-

1) City iDtec/iVtec VX with Sun roof
2) Ciaz ZDi/ ZXi
3) XuV W4/W6
4) Renault Duster/Nissan Terrano

Else, if you stretch a little more, you can consider the new Hyundai Elantra/ Jetta Trendline or the understated Rocket- Cruze.
The budget mentioned was 14 - 18 lakhs in the post before I made a suggestion, hence I suggested the Jetta.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajneeesh View Post
Well I am not comfortable sheling out 17 lakhs for this car. At Rs 14 lakh it would have made a lot of sense.
The price perspective is highly individual
rpunwani is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 29th April 2015, 10:48   #468
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rpunwani View Post
The budget mentioned was 14 - 18 lakhs in the post before I made a suggestion, hence I suggested the Jetta.

The price perspective is highly individual
Well I can stretch to 18 if I believe the car is worth that kind of money. As you rightly said it is a very personal perspective. I would for example willingly put down 18 Lakh for a Fortuner. Jetta is a great car, but I am not willing to pay more than 14 lakh for Petrol ( Trendline) or 15.5 for the Diesel tendline.

Last edited by rajneeesh : 29th April 2015 at 10:49.
Old 29th April 2015, 10:58   #469
BHPian

Quote:
Well I can stretch to 18 if I believe the car is worth that kind of money. As you rightly said it is a very personal perspective. I would for example willingly put down 18 Lakh for a Fortuner. Jetta is a great car, but I am not willing to pay more than 14 lakh for Petrol ( Trendline) or 15.5 for the Diesel tendline.
Since you are inclined towards a SUV, I believe your choices get limited. the XUV500 or Tata Safari Storme are two decent options. Or maybe a good second hand Fortuner
rpunwani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th April 2015, 11:07   #470
Senior - BHPian

Mod Note : There are several spelling & grammatical errors in your posts. This negatively affects the forum experience for other readers.

Kindly ensure that you proof-read your posts prior to submission. Also, it would be a good idea to use spell-checkers.

Last edited by GTO : 29th April 2015 at 13:12.
rajneeesh is offline   Reply With Quote Received Infraction
Old 29th April 2015, 11:12   #471
Senior - BHPian

The Tata Safari facelift ought to be the last one. The car is good at a few things and also terrible at a lot. Tata should be replacing the product with a whole new one very soon as it is way past its time. As for the XUV, it is just ugly and still not a complete product. Mahindra and Tata have a few years to go before they begin to make truly polished cars that can bowl you over in your everyday life and not just on paper.

Make one thing very clear; all these C2 segments cars might do 80% of what a D segment car can, but that is only on paper. If you want to experience a true upgrade, nothing will be able to match a well engineered, wholesome D segment sedan That said, most of them if not all, are not really designed and tested extensively for Indian usage so they require a lot more pampering and TLC which translates to more money for maintenance.

I think the Duster AWD is your bet option right now, but I can totally understand the whole it not feeling like an upgrade thing. SX4 S Cross suits your needs really well. A 1.6 multijet motor is expected in the top end variant so no need to fret, just wait it out

Cheers!

Last edited by IshaanIan : 29th April 2015 at 11:15.
IshaanIan is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 29th April 2015, 11:39   #472
BHPian

Quote:
I want to buy a car. I have a reasonable budget of 14-18 lakh but very few logical options.
As for me, the wait continues…..
Rajneesh , Thanks for the post. Yes there are many of us in the same quandary. Have been looking at all options for last 1.5 yrs. In fact so much so that whenever this topic comes up the entire household gives me a cold look.
I had booked an Eco sport but cancelled after three months due to long wait and since no one could arrange an eco boost test drive . In Oct last year i got fed up and booked Hyundai Verna since i wanted to drive down south and seemed VFM with discounts. The dealer failed to deliver by the time my long leave started so cancelled it.
I am also ready to spend around Rs 15 Lakhs . XUV seems too huge to me and i dont need a seven seater since most of the time it would be self and me lady. You have very correctly pointed out that Duster does not seem like a 14 lakh car. I always liked the inside feel of Terrano more than Duster but now the Terrano instrument cluster seems outdated as compared to the new generation Duster Instrument Cluster. And is it worth 1.5 Lakh more
My Son has a better option for me. Buy a 10 Lakh Car like CIAZ and buy a Harley Davidson with the rest of the money
One question. Why did you not consider Elantra.
nkghai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th April 2015, 11:59   #473
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nkghai View Post
Rajneesh , Thanks for the post. Yes there are many of us in the same quandary. Have been looking at all options for last 1.5 yrs. In fact so much so that whenever this topic comes up the entire household gives me a cold look.
I had booked an Eco sport but cancelled after three months due to long wait and since no one could arrange an eco boost test drive . In Oct last year i got fed up and booked Hyundai Verna since i wanted to drive down south and seemed VFM with discounts. The dealer failed to deliver by the time my long leave started so cancelled it.
I am also ready to spend around Rs 15 Lakhs . XUV seems too huge to me and i dont need a seven seater since most of the time it would be self and me lady. You have very correctly pointed out that Duster does not seem like a 14 lakh car. I always liked the inside feel of Terrano more than Duster but now the Terrano instrument cluster seems outdated as compared to the new generation Duster Instrument Cluster. And is it worth 1.5 Lakh more
My Son has a better option for me. Buy a 10 Lakh Car like CIAZ and buy a Harley Davidson with the rest of the money
One question. Why did you not consider Elantra.

Hyundai Elantra like all Hyundais is not really strong on dynamics and does not give the same solid feeling as a European car. Moreover, it is pretty low slung ( even the Jetta & Octavia re low slung). If I buy a Sedan, it will be strictly for local and Highway use. Low Slung Sedans are good to use for everyday driving ( 345 days in a year) so I am willing to look at them. However, in such a case I will have to keep the SX4 ( without converting it to CNG) for for the remaining 20 days when I would like to go to the hills/ rough terrain.

I had once busted my Figo ( courtesy an underbody hit) and want a car with high GC. The best case would be something like a Crossover which can satisfy both my needs ( SX4 does it pretty well). In such a case I will not have to keep an additional car for my self ( wife will keep the SX 4 with CNG as she log on more kms than me) and I can sell the Figo.

Last edited by rajneeesh : 29th April 2015 at 12:04.
Old 29th April 2015, 12:09   #474
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arnabchak View Post
Else, if you stretch a little more, you can consider the new Hyundai Elantra/ Jetta Trendline or the understated Rocket- Cruze.
+1 for Cruze.

Its a really great car which always puts a smile on the face when driving. It may not have features compared to other cars in the segment but then the muscular looks of the beast are just too good.
heydj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th April 2015, 12:20   #475
BHPian

Quote:
Low Slung Sedans are good to use for everyday driving ( 345 days in a year) so I am willing to look at them. However, in such a case I will have to keep the SX4 ( without converting it to CNG) for for the remaining 20 days when I would like to go to the hills/ rough terrain.
I see your point.
However one suggestion since i see you are located in Noida. If it is only for 20 days of hill/rough terrain why don't you take a self drive Storme/XUV from Zoom Car etc for that duration and have fun. Balance 345 days enjoy your Luxury Sedan. But these are personal choices.
Keep us updated.
I am off to Chandigarh in May and plan TD of all Cars/SUVs in this range, back to back for two days to see if i can make any headway.

Last edited by nkghai : 29th April 2015 at 12:23. Reason: addition
nkghai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th April 2015, 12:48   #476

Quote:

As for me, the wait continues…..
Rajneeesh, You have already considered all most all the worthy contestants and rejected them. You may continue with your faithful "Kali Kaluthi" for some more time and wait for HEXA to be launched. In between you may also consider ARIA. All the best.
durgesh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th April 2015, 12:49   #477
BHPian

I am also in the similar boat. Looking forward to replace my 5 year old Honda City. However I have a fascination for XUV500 and may go for it. Never considered Duster or Ford EcoSport, but would like to see Hyundai's ix25. May wait till it is launced
mm403 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th April 2015, 12:55   #478
BHPian

I was exactly in the same dilemma towards end of last year, mine being slightly more complicated due to hunt for an automatic.
This is one huge gap in the current offering and one will have to either compromise and settle within 15L or stretch their budget to ~20L. I chose to settle down with a Vento TSI DSG (13L) after pretty much evaluating all vehicles mentioned in this post.

Last edited by ventoman : 29th April 2015 at 12:57.
ventoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th April 2015, 15:06   #479
BHPian

Default Re: Fish me out of this 15 lac soup!

Here is what i would suggest:
1) List down your priority or rather things you cant compromise on(e.g. Engine size, power torque or luxury features). I would say go for only diesel when u r spending 1.5 million ruppes, so petrol vs diesel is out of equation.
2) Find your inclination to body style, a butch SUV stance or an understated well mannered highway cruiser sedan or a crossover (do consider any exclusivity factor if that affects ur choice)
3) once you nail this down, i guess you will be much better off having limited choices, i would suggest target only D1 segment, above all upto 1.6L engines
4) Test drive the shortlisted once and decide what your heart says (looks will matter here), if you are still confused between 2 choices, i would say keep looking that car on road for a couple of weeks and ask yourself will this car bring smile on my face after 3-4 years? or the battle can be finished comparing the features each has to offer, consider the road tests worldwide done for both choices here.
5) Hope by this step you have finalized your next car. Now the wait begins if the car you chose is little out of budget at this point, but you are dead sure you will buy this car at certain price. My experience says feb-march every year is the time you get the cheapest deal all year round, if you bargain hard.I may be wrong in some cases. pardon me for that.
6) If 5) is working out, enjoy the ride.
Mission_PGPX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th April 2015, 18:43   #480
D4D
BHPian

Quote:
However, in such a case I will have to keep the SX4 ( without converting it to CNG) for for the remaining 20 days when I would like to go to the hills/ rough terrain.
  • I don't think retaining the SX4 is a good option if you're intention is to replace it. I personally won't recommend a D segment sedan.
    Quote:
    Around two years ago, I started looking for a replacement
  • In your budget, the crossovers present are Duster, Terrano and the XUV 500.
  • IMHO, you should buy the Duster as the it'll be cheap to maintain and run.
  • Nothing wrong with the XUV, but it's big and consumes more fuel than the Duster
  • You could wait for the launch of the ix25 and S-Cross(or A-Cross) and then decide

Hope this helps.
D4D is offline   Reply With Quote