Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > What Car? > Sedans

Old 2nd August 2010, 12:49   #106
BHPian

This discussion is just as someone read my mind. I too was looking either for a OHC 1.3, OHC 1.5, Baleno, OHC vtec, in the given order of preference.

Points considered
1. FE when driven sanely around 2500 rpm
2. Drivablity i.e ability to drive in the 3rd gear mostly
3. Performance i.e power when you need it
2. Reliablity
3. Cost of spares
4. Availablity of spares

Im not a guy who trashes his car, and redlines in every gear but need the power at times. Going as per Mumbai prices should be able to get in the range of 1.5-2 lakhs.
Gurus please advice, I have got sometime as I have located the cars. Waiting for the owners need to change their mind
kavesh55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd August 2010, 13:00   #107
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pramod View Post
Looks like i may have to go for something else other than OHC for my 2nd car. I will anyways, search for an OHC and atleast testdrive, if not buy
Good luck!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by pramod View Post
I may now want to go for a used swift Vxi or something. Will keep posted.
We need to know your requirements. I presume you are buying another car just for fun. If so, I'd suggest Ford Ikon 1.6. Very easy to find and dirt cheap to buy used.

Swift? Costly for a used car. Inspite of the hype, it is not the ultimate. For that money, I'd buy VTEC only
WhiteKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd August 2010, 16:34   #108
BHPian

@rock18 - The car that you mentioned that has done 79k, is it a bluish silver car? I test drove one about a week back that fit the description that you mentioned. Honestly speaking that was the best of the three that I test drove that day. I saw it at Metro Cars, Chennai. When I say it was the best of the three I am not saying its good, but comparing to the others that I test drove I found this one to be better. I actually lost hope of finding a good Vtec in Chennai or 1.5 for that matter.
nithin_86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd August 2010, 18:37   #109
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nithin_86 View Post
@rock18 - The car that you mentioned that has done 79k, is it a bluish silver car? I test drove one about a week back that fit the description that you mentioned. Honestly speaking that was the best of the three that I test drove that day. I saw it at Metro Cars, Chennai. When I say it was the best of the three I am not saying its good, but comparing to the others that I test drove I found this one to be better. I actually lost hope of finding a good Vtec in Chennai or 1.5 for that matter.
Yes buddy. I would call that sky blue colour.
Seriously all the cars dealt by the dealers are definitely tampered.
That car would have done more than 1lakh kms now.

I told the dealer that car has done more than 1lakh kms and their answer is "so what? reduce 10k and pay 2.7lakhs"

What is the price they were quoting you?

Btw: guys..Is it good to buy OHC that has crossed more than one lakh kms?
say by giving 2.4-2.5lakhs?

I found another 2001VTEC today. well maintained..Owner is very adamant that he will not sell it for less than 3.1lakhs.
Odo shows 68000kms.genuine..

There are no good baleno's also.
I am searching for VXI's and only LXI's are available.
I left a 2006 baleno which has run just 11k just because its LXI.

All these things are driving me crazy. I am not getting proper sleep for almost a month.
rock18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd August 2010, 19:37   #110
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rock18 View Post
Btw: guys..Is it good to buy OHC that has crossed more than one lakh kms?
say by giving 2.4-2.5lakhs?
I for one would not prefer a car like that.

Quote:
I left a 2006 baleno which has run just 11k just because its LXI.
Why did you leave that Baleno. I am wondering what are the features in Vxi which became a deal breaker here? Other than acc,alloys,spoiler?
Unknownsatan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd August 2010, 11:16   #111
BHPian

@rock18 - The price that they quoted was 2.9 (negotiable). I wasn't very satisfied with the car so left it. I didn't speak with the owner just the dealer. Like Unknownsatan mentioned, you shouldn't leave a good Baleno Lxi waiting for a Vxi. Other than the ACC and the height adjustable driving seat (and of course the power antenna) which is good to have there is nothing spectacular with the Vxi to wait for one. It would be good with the ACC but I think you can live without one. Every good Baleno gets sold off by the time I reach it. By the way how much was the quoted price for the 2006 Lxi?
nithin_86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd August 2010, 18:31   #112
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unknownsatan View Post
I for one would not prefer a car like that.?
Me too.Thanks to all your advice. But somebody has already booked 2002 OHC automatic which has done 1.1lakh kms for 2.7Lakhs .
I was about to bargain it for 2.2-2.4lakhs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unknownsatan View Post
Why did you leave that Baleno. I am wondering what are the features in Vxi which became a deal breaker here? Other than acc,alloys,spoiler?
Just to convince my family members that baleno is a good looking car.VXI looks much better...Instead of buying LXI and spend something on alloys and 14" tyres,I will get it all in VXI for few thousand more.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nithin_86 View Post
@rock18 - The price that they quoted was 2.9 (negotiable). I wasn't very satisfied with the car so left it. I didn't speak with the owner just the dealer. Like Unknownsatan mentioned, you shouldn't leave a good Baleno Lxi waiting for a Vxi. Other than the ACC and the height adjustable driving seat (and of course the power antenna) which is good to have there is nothing spectacular with the Vxi to wait for one. It would be good with the ACC but I think you can live without one. Every good Baleno gets sold off by the time I reach it. By the way how much was the quoted price for the 2006 Lxi?
That Baleno got sold for 3lakhs from maruti true value.

What price you are ready to give for a well maintained 2001 VTEC?
Car has done only 55k. I will pass on the details to you if he is not agreeing to my offer.Owner is demanding more than 3lakhs.
Old 3rd August 2010, 18:49   #113
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Just to convince my family members that baleno is a good looking car.VXI looks much better...Instead of buying LXI and spend something on alloys and 14" tyres,I will get it all in VXI for few thousand more.
The only added advantage that I saw with a VXI was the climate control and the height adjustable driver seat. The alloys weren't the best in the 14 inchers.
Thats said , I would spend my money on getting alloys that suits my taste be it the LXI or the VXI. Check this thread , we did a photo-shoot with both the variants LXI(silver one) and VXI(white).
rjstyles69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd August 2010, 20:14   #114
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

What price you are ready to give for a well maintained 2001 VTEC?
Car has done only 55k. I will pass on the details to you if he is not agreeing to my offer.Owner is demanding more than 3lakhs.
That sounds about right.
Good OHCs are only sold in case of some cash crunch,or to make a huge amount of money over the actual value of a 9year old car.
All your carwale/dealer/insurance premium may give the quoted depreciated value at 1.3 Lac,but you will NOT get a good OHC under this 3 lac figure(if at all).

and wow,55k only?that's an awesome opportunity,if its correct!!
mayankk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th August 2010, 10:24   #115
BHPian

This is a general reply to the discussion in the thread, for some context I have a OHC AT that has done about 80K, bought it 2nd hand at 73K.

Here is what I want you to think about regarding the 2nd hand purchase of OHC.

1) Is that model a good one to start with - yes.
2) Is the maintenance cheap - yes.
3) Are the spare parts available easily - yes

But will a 2nd hand 80K kms car of that model be fun to own and drive, NO it won't be. Please note that if you own the car for 80K things are different, but here we are talking about buying from someone else.

These are the main issues,

1) Driving 80K in Indian conditions take a toll on the car - the main area that gets hit is the suspension, which can be worked on. But there are other problems that can never be fixed. Electrical problems, Hydraulic leaks etc will surely be there - these are not major issues, but they still bug you.

These issues are kind of like you having cold, it is not serious to totally stop working and take leave, but you still can't work properly - neither there nor here :-).

2) General lack of skilled labour/tools to support your car, dealers are not too keen on supporting old cars - they will always ask you to sell it off or keep replacing parts instead of repairing. Given that you would have got the car for a cheap rate, new part prices will hurt you. For e.g OHC O2 sensor costs 11K with Honda dealers, it is 4K outside - the dealer will never suggest you the other part which is fair enough.

3) You will need to find a good independent garage, the main problem will be that the damn place has to be close to you as you will be spending a lot of time there to fix issues. Again these issues may not be major, but given that we love our cars we will never be able to live with those issues. You will have that urge to get it fixed ASAP and not wait for the next service !!.

4) It is very rare to find a car maintained by a enthusiast who would have kept it in good shape in the 2nd hand market. This is because they will never part with it as it is too much fun to drive a well maintained OHC (GTO's case was pretty rare). So you will get a car which is ok, but not something that is "as good as new". So don't expect the car to drive like how a new OHC/Baleno did.

So here is what I want you to think about esp with OHC/Baleno or any car that has done 80K in India before taking the plunge. That car was fun to drive when it was new, will it be fun to drive and own now? 99% of the time it won't be, sure enough the engine and transmission will be good - but every other part will show signs of fatigue. Think about this before you buy.

With any buying decision, there is no right or wrong - it all depends on whether you are happy with the decision at the end of the day. Btw am I happy with the decision? You bet I am - why? Because I don't know to drive manuals and a new i10 AT was less fun to drive. No offence to i10 owners, I think that is a excellent city car (going to get one for my wife), but when it comes to driving pleasure steering feel takes out all the fun out of it :-(.

So unless you want a AT be open to other fun to drive cars like Fiesta, they are available for cheap.
partha379 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th August 2010, 00:25   #116
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjstyles69 View Post
The only added advantage that I saw with a VXI was the climate control and the height adjustable driver seat. The alloys weren't the best in the 14 inchers.
Thats said , I would spend my money on getting alloys that suits my taste be it the LXI or the VXI. Check this thread , we did a photo-shoot with both the variants LXI(silver one) and VXI(white).
Both the cars seems to be very well maintained examples and definitely some of the best looking balenos i have ever seen.
I will watchout for LXI's with low mileage also

Quote:
Originally Posted by partha379 View Post
This is a general reply to the discussion in the thread, for some context I have a OHC AT that has done about 80K, bought it 2nd hand at 73K.

So unless you want a AT be open to other fun to drive cars like Fiesta, they are available for cheap.
Thanks for the detailed pointers.
Fiesta is however costly to purchase.
2006 1.6 goes for 4lakhs and very rare in used market

So options will be
2005-06 Balenos
2005 Ikon 1.6 and
Very well maintained VTEC/1.5 with less than 50k on odo.(very rare and costly)

Last edited by rock18 : 5th August 2010 at 00:26.
Old 5th August 2010, 00:30   #117
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kavesh55 View Post
This discussion is just as someone read my mind. I too was looking either for a OHC 1.3, OHC 1.5, Baleno, OHC vtec, in the given order of preference.

Points considered
1. FE when driven sanely around 2500 rpm
2. Drivablity i.e ability to drive in the 3rd gear mostly
3. Performance i.e power when you need it
2. Reliablity
3. Cost of spares
4. Availablity of spares

Im not a guy who trashes his car, and redlines in every gear but need the power at times. Going as per Mumbai prices should be able to get in the range of 1.5-2 lakhs.
Gurus please advice, I have got sometime as I have located the cars. Waiting for the owners need to change their mind

Will someone advice this humble guy please. I hope im not creating a different discussion anyways.
Old 5th August 2010, 00:49   #118
BHPian

Quote:
Will someone advice this humble guy please. I hope im not creating a different discussion anyways.
Baleno is the one for you.
Old 5th August 2010, 01:02   #119
BHPian

Quote:
Baleno is the one for you.
wht about others ? reasons why specifically baleno ? will appreciate
Old 5th August 2010, 06:41   #120
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
baleno's the way forward.
no way will an OHC in that range(budget) keep you happy.
mayankk is offline   Reply With Quote