BHPian

@nithin_86

Any luck with OHC or Baleno ?
yzfrj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th August 2010, 17:31   #122
BHPian

Guys.
Still not able to find any good 2003 VTEC's
So i can go for either 2006VXI black baleno..done 47k (new tryes and alloys)for around 3 lakhs
or
2001 Silver VTEC done around 65k. Seems to be genuine and well maintained.
asking price is 3lakhs.
Both the deals are non-negotiable.

I am just confused.
I know both cars will satisfy racing enthusiasts if they are new.
But we are comparing a 9 year old VTEC with 4year old baleno for the same price.
Which one should i pick up?
I need a reliable one for daily use.

When i test drove this 2001 VTEC.I found it a bit jerky at low speeds. I read somewhere here that the problem is there with all 2001 VTEC's?
Is that right? Can it be rectified?

Of all the cars i test drove including baleno,vtec,1.3EXI,IKON.
I found Ikon and 1.3EXI to be most responsive in lower gears(no ripping).
I guess VTEC's and baleno's will produce power at higher rpm's only.
But still i will go with either baleno or VTEC as these are the most worshipped ones here.

Last edited by rock18 : 25th August 2010 at 17:34.
rock18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th August 2010, 18:32   #123
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
But we are comparing a 9 year old VTEC with 4year old baleno for the same price.
Which one should i pick up?
I need a reliable one for daily use.
I would close my eyes and put my money on the baleno. The Vtec in question is a 9 year old car and with a price tag of 3 lakhs for now the baleno looks better.
rjstyles69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th August 2010, 19:04   #124
BHPian

Rock,

Just do not step behind, pickup 2006 Baleno eyes closed. As said by rjstyles69
3L for a 9Yr old Vtec is not at all worth.
Baleno will sure satisfy your racing enthusiasm. Its a pure drivers car who drive on fast lanes. Baleno Spares are still available in market and we have MAS every corner of the streets.
More over Baleno can be customized for engine performance as required. No doubt Vtech has also proven its power.
My vote for Baleno
Bhargava_sr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th August 2010, 19:10   #125
BHPian

Dude,
Look around on the street you will know why people worship Baleno. Its the most wonderfully crafted piece of machine.

You need power and presence on the road, go for baleno (with the given two options)

Ofcourse, Vtec has its own class, but compared to 2001 Vtec with 2006 Baleno, undoubtedly the safest and best best should be Baleno. Mark my words, it wont disappoint you brother.

Baleno still roars and stands up against any car in its segment. Old generation but truly the master piece.

Does this help and motivate you!!! as rightly pointed out by Rjstyles and Bargav, its got to be BALENO
parashakthi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th August 2010, 00:09   #126
BHPian

Thanks rjstyles69,Bhargava,parasakthi.
I also thought that buying the latest car makes sense but still had lot of doubts in my mind as i found a rare low mileage VTEC.
I found out some other options.
1.06 Fiesta 1.6 50k done. asking price is 3.5-3.6L
2. 07 Cedia 40k done. Asking price is 4.5L.

And also saw one 2006 fiesta diesel ZXI, 50k kms done. asking price is 4.5L

As of now my usage is limited to occasional city trips and once in 2months highway trip.
Which do you think is the best value for money deal?
I guess diesel fiesta is also lot of fun to drive.
Please suggest.
Old 26th August 2010, 07:35   #127
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rock18 View Post
Thanks rjstyles69,Bhargava,parasakthi.
I also thought that buying the latest car makes sense but still had lot of doubts in my mind as i found a rare low mileage VTEC.
I found out some other options.
1.06 Fiesta 1.6 50k done. asking price is 3.5-3.6L
2. 07 Cedia 40k done. Asking price is 4.5L.

And also saw one 2006 fiesta diesel ZXI, 50k kms done. asking price is 4.5L

As of now my usage is limited to occasional city trips and once in 2months highway trip.
Which do you think is the best value for money deal?
I guess diesel fiesta is also lot of fun to drive.
Please suggest.
06 fiesta for those prices??
occasional city trips etc could warrant a fiesta for max bang per buck,probably more.
its a hoot to drive, trust me.

as far as making a choice is concerned,you have to ask yourself one question:
will you be able to go without looking back and saying "man, i never got to own that icon" anytime you see a old city flash by.
Just my 2 cents, cos i used to get those pangs too, plus i didn't find anything worthwhile here.
mayankk is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 26th August 2010, 09:18   #128
BHPian

@yzfrj - No luck to be honest. I actally came across a couple of good Balenos before. But now the ones that I see are pre 2004. Still on the lookout. I have a feeling it is going to be just the Baleno now. Was not able to lookout for cars much because work had been quite hectic.
nithin_86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th November 2010, 18:38   #129

Guys,

In a real dilemma here. After a lot of searching for a new car, I have 2 choices -

2001 OHC 1.5 EXI with 56K on the odo for 2.4L
2005 Baleno VXI with 60K on the odo for 3.25L

Both are single owner cars, fully loaded and in great condition with genuine mileage...

My requirements are simple - I need to have a reliable & fun to drive car which gives me 11-12 kmpl (Monthly running would be around 1250km)...

Questions -
1. If I do sell the car 2 years down the line, where will I stand to lose more?
2. Is it really worth paying 2.4L for a 9 year old car when I can spend 75K more and get a car 5 years younger? (Fortunately/Unfortunately, I just love the way the OHC looks and handles, so can't seem to make up my mind...)

My budget maxes out at 3L, but could squeeze in a li'l bit more to pick up the baleno.
Whereas, if I do pick up the OHC, I have all the money left for amazing ICE, a FFE and maybe even a paint job a year down the line...

Your valuable thoughts are appreciated...
Wayfarer 4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th November 2010, 00:23   #130
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayfarer 4x4 View Post
Guys,

In a real dilemma here. After a lot of searching for a new car, I have 2 choices -

My requirements are simple - I need to have a reliable & fun to drive car which gives me 11-12 kmpl (Monthly running would be around 1250km)...

Questions -
2. Is it really worth paying 2.4L for a 9 year old car when I can spend 75K more and get a car 5 years younger? (Fortunately/Unfortunately, I just love the way the OHC looks and handles, so can't seem to make up my mind...)

My budget maxes out at 3L, but could squeeze in a li'l bit more to pick up the baleno.
Whereas, if I do pick up the OHC, I have all the money left for amazing ICE, a FFE and maybe even a paint job a year down the line...

Your valuable thoughts are appreciated...
Old cars can never be as reliable as new cars.
2006 Baleno vxi sells for less than 3L's in chennai.
You can buy the new Alto K10 for your requirements.
Btw: If you like the OHC, Just go for it.Try to bargain more.
Old 8th November 2010, 12:46   #131
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rock18 View Post
Old cars can never be as reliable as new cars.
2006 Baleno vxi sells for less than 3L's in chennai.
You can buy the new Alto K10 for your requirements.
Btw: If you like the OHC, Just go for it.Try to bargain more.
I would rate Baleno a better buy, you are getting a newer car, period.
On the other hand if you want a really trouble free three years of ownership, and do not mind a smaller vehicle, the best buy is the Alto K10. It has decent acceleration, tremendous AC and gives twice the milage.

I have a ten year old Esteem, and parts are still available. I doubt you would get OHC parts that easily, not to mention they would cost much more than those for Baleno. For my daily needs - market, pottering around I got the K10.
Aroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th November 2010, 10:31   #132
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
I'd go with the Baleno. For one, it's 4 years newer! Two, most OHCs in the after-market have their odometers clocked back. I find it hard to believe that a 10 year old car has been driven only 56,000 kms.

Quote:
That's the beauty of buying used. You lose much less in depreciation.

I would also highly recommend a used Lancer. You'll easily get a late model in your budget.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aroy View Post
I doubt you would get OHC parts that easily, not to mention they would cost much more than those for Baleno.
Disagreed on both points, Aroy. There's thousands of OHCs on Indian roads today; in fact, they outnumber the Balenos. It's very profitable for spare part suppliers to keep supporting these cars. Also, most spares for the Baleno are more expensive than that of the OHC.
GTO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th November 2010, 10:57   #133
BHPian

Go for the Baleno.

My BIL has the same dilemma. He had a lancer before but now he was thinking either OHC VTEC or Baleno.

Baleno is just the fresher option.
Avinash_R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th November 2010, 11:07   #134
BHPian

Over Hyped Car-That's what the OHC is in todays day and age.The OHC was good for the times it was produced in India and to an extent it bacame more popular after they introduced they underpowered NHC.But seriously in today's day and age it just does not make the cut.Theres more to a car than just outright acceleration.Its a combination of braking/handling and ride.And trust me the OHC is just average in all these departments.Handling at high speeds over 100 is just not confidence inspiring.Build quality too is just a lil better than tinny, no offence to current OHC owners.Be prepared to lose some serious money in depreciation too unless you manage to find a real enthusiast at the time of resale for a car that old.I dont know about the market conditions in chennai but clean 02-03 OhC VTECs are available for prices from 1.7-2 lakhs here in kolkata and they do take some time to move in the used car market.

A Baleno vxi is a much more sensible buy and is a better all-rounder.Maintaineance and Maruti A.S.S are comparitively hassle free.Ride/Handling/Braking/Performance/Better AC all in a single package.And the difference between 106 bhp and 91 bhp in real world driving conditions(unless you're a looking for straight line drag-machine) is not as much as it is made out to be.Torque figures of the Baleno are up there with the OHC VTEC.Just make sure the car is clean.

P.S.:If you thought that the OHC VTEC is an iconic machine, it was here in India, but anywhere else in the world-Google and you'll know what they think of the Indian VTEC engine(Its a mix and match different parts from the Honda parts bin and thats putting it politely).I am not indulging in OHC VTEC-bashing in case you think so.I owned this car for a short period of 2 months before reselling it.I was seriously disappointed.

Last edited by octane1002 : 9th November 2010 at 11:12.
octane1002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th November 2010, 11:12   #135
BHPian

Quote:
Baleno prices are not that high in Kerala. You should be able to get a 2006 Lxi for less than 3 L. Only problem is in finding one.

My suggestion is to expand your search to other areas such as Trichur and Kochi.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
I would also highly recommend a used Lancer. You'll easily get a late model in your budget.
Agree with GTO especially since Kerala is Lancer country. A 2005 Lancer should cost you at the max 2.3 Lakhs

Last edited by WhiteKnight : 9th November 2010 at 11:14.
WhiteKnight is offline   Reply With Quote