Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > What Car? > Sedans

Old 27th January 2006, 06:46   #1

Default Car for Parents - Chennai.??

[FONT=Arial] [/FONT]
Hey ALL,

My parents want to buy Car in chennai. The budget is 5.5 lacks.

I have very little Idea about cars in India.
First thing that comes to my mind is SAFETY. It should be sturdy from ground up.!! esp suspension.

They will not be driving a whole lot of miles, so mpg is not so very important.

My Dad said, he has been looking at
- Mauti Esteem
- Tata Marina
- Ford Fusion.. (I think this is > 6 lacks)

Any opinions appreciated and any good dealer info in Chennai will help.

My Dad seems to lean more towards Esteem? But I have this feeling that all Maruti cars are build of out paper thin metal.. like the Omni & the 800...

thanks,

Last edited by sundarpn : 27th January 2006 at 06:47.
sundarpn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th January 2006, 08:17   #2
Distinguished - BHPian

I would suggest the Fusion. It seems the sturdiest of the lot. Yes the car is >6 lakhs but i belive there r discounts going out on it now, watch this thread for more details http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/what-c...argaining.html
The fusion is the freshest out of the lot and has alot more to offer than the others. But it will also be the most expensive to maintain as ford spares dont come as cheap as Maruti or Tata. 2nd choice would be the esteem, its been here for ages and is a proven winner, cheap to maintain and totally hassel free and VFM. Tata is totally out for consideration for me but there r several ppl here who can shed support to Tata.
Sahil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th January 2006, 09:16   #3
BHPian

Look no further than the Swift ZXi. Swifts are built strong (good crash test ratings). They are built to European specifications, not Japanese and are hence heavier cars - the ZXi tips the scales at 1010 kilos. Compare this to the 875 kilo weight of the Esteem and the 975 kilo weight of the Baleno.

Taking safety further, the ZXi comes with Driver & Passenger airbags, ABS & seat belt pretensioners. On road price works out to about 5.6 lacs.

Personally, I'd avoid the Fusion - nice car but not too many sold, possibly making maintenance a problem in the future, to say nothing of resale value. Add the high cost of Ford spare parts to the mix and the Fusion loses its charm.

The Esteem is a nice buy, but is at the end of it's product cycle and is likely to be discontinued shortly. You wouldn't want to buy a new car that is no longer manufactured soon after you buy, would you?

As for the Marina, it is a nice buy too, if you can handle a diesel. The petrol Marina (is it available in Petrol?) is a strict no-no IMO.
airfoil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th January 2006, 09:39   #4
Senior - BHPian

If safety is a prime concern then forget abt Esteem! If your Dad is going to drive by himself then Swift is a good choice or if chauffeured around, the Indigo and Ikon will be a good choice. And fusion won't come with in ur budget.... nice car but personally i dont like it too much.
extreme_torque is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th January 2006, 09:51   #5
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:

Parents = Rear Seat comfort. Most parents = Economy.

That said, and keeping your budget in mind, the Indigo fits the bill perfectly. The Esteem has a horrible back seat, and the Fusion has pathetic low speed ride quality.

GTO
GTO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th January 2006, 09:55   #6
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sundarpn

Do consider the Accent 1.5 GLE - it is a tried and tested well-proven car with very low maintainence and hassle free servicing.

Would not recommend any Ford car, as over the years, even with very less driving around, they tend to ask for a lot of maintainence costs. And are more performance and driver oriented.
goldie_malhotra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th January 2006, 09:57   #7
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sundarpn
[FONT=Arial]My Dad seems to lean more towards Esteem? But I have this feeling that all Maruti cars are build of out paper thin metal.. like the Omni & the 800,
Take a look at the Palio/Sienna 1.2, its quite the opposite and is built of extra thick metal. Now with TATA's support for sales and service.
Mpower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th January 2006, 10:30   #8
Senior - BHPian

wagon r .....superb car ...and your parents wont have to bend when getting in and out of the car ...
speedsatya is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 27th January 2006, 10:34   #9
Senior - BHPian

Guys since im not able to post a new topic... i wanted to ask u all a question... im interested in buying a used palio. I have one car in sight, single owner, 2002 ELX silver color with a Pioneer CD/MP3 system and steering remote. The only apprehension that i have is, the car has done 55000 kms and the guy told me that at 50000 kms he has changed the clutch and brake assembly which he said is required at 50000 kms. Shall i go for this car?
extreme_torque is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th January 2006, 17:32   #10
BHPian

Quote:
Look no further than the Swift ZXi
I don't know why but in general older people don't prefer Swift. It is more targeted at Yuppie culture.

For parents an upright seating position (like Ambassador ) is best.

Both Santro & WangoR will be very good choice (comfort, low maintenance, fuel economy, suitable for both chauffer & self driving etc). If you prefer a more expensive car, as someone said Accent will be a good choice. Esteem is no doubt an excellent car, but its technology is bit dated now.
sbasak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th January 2006, 17:37   #11
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbasak
If you prefer a more expensive car, as someone said Accent will be a good choice.
accent's back seat is too low for comfort... i would suggest an indigo/wagor r or a santro..
tifosikrishna is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 27th January 2006, 17:49   #12
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO
Parents = Rear Seat comfort. Most parents = Economy.

That said, and keeping your budget in mind, the Indigo fits the bill perfectly. The Esteem has a horrible back seat, and the Fusion has pathetic low speed ride quality.

GTO
I agree with GTO, go for the Indigo Marina.

An please please don't select a small car... Personally, I would never ever put the wellbeing of my loved ones in a small chauffer or self driven car...
falcon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th January 2006, 18:03   #13
Senior - BHPian

I will say go for any of the Indigos. The only safety feature lagging is the Airbag. If you want those, than Swift ZXI is the only option (donno, some Palio model also comes with airbags in that range, check that out).
DCEite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th January 2006, 18:27   #14
Senior - BHPian

Forgot to mention in my earlier reply that Indigo doesnt come with ABS/EBD either.
So if if safety is at top of your mind than you can look to Swift ZXi or the WagonR vxi version which comes with ABS,EBD and twin airbags.
DCEite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th January 2006, 19:55   #15
Senior - BHPian

Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by dceite
I will say go for any of the Indigos. The only safety feature lagging is the Airbag. If you want those, than Swift ZXI is the only option (donno, some Palio model also comes with airbags in that range, check that out).
Palio 1.6 GTX Sp used to come, now the 1.6 Sport comes with optional ABS/Airbag
BUSA is offline   Reply With Quote