Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > What Car? > Sedans

Old 31st January 2006, 09:09   #1
BHPian

Default Esteem Vs Bolero

Hi all,

We are planning to buy another used car. And its going to be third car in our family. And its for my father. Budget Rs 2.00 lacs.

My father has two options either Esteem or Bolero (5+ year old)

Why Esteem ?
We are going to use this car in a village which is 150 kms away from chennai and its the bigger city nearer to our place. Hence servicing is the main concern. Buying Esteem we can find some service centres 25 km radius. My dad is not a tall person hence space of Esteem is OK. My only concern will it able to handle the village roads (lots of potholes and mud road). And this is the reason we are contemplating to buy Bolero, which has better road presense.

My queries?

1. Will Esteem can handle the village roads? How strong the suspensions are?
2. Buying 60,000 kms run esteem is not all risk, but what about buying similar run Bolero? Will I end up in changing the spares quite often?
3. Service cost of Esteem is really cheap? What about service cost of Bolero?

Please guide me.

Regards,
Prasanna
prkothan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st February 2006, 14:31   #2
Senior - BHPian

I'd suggest a Esteem if the roads are bad. I'd suggest a Bolero if the roads are totally worst with craters like moon, which is called offroading.

An esteem is very easy to maintain.Cheaper to run.Has a tried & tested japanese fuel-efficient mill.
But, a Bolero when buying used , we must keep in mind that it would have been put to rough use and high mileage everyday.Bolero's parts wear off too soon because of manufacturing and pricing standards. Mainly,supension parts would have taken quite a beating leading to uneven tyrewear also.

Bottomline: When considering a used car, An esteem is a lot easier,cheaper and a happy experience than a Bolero.

The case might be bit different when its a new car.
nitrous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st February 2006, 14:35   #3
BHPian

Used 5+ year old diesel especially a Bolero would need to go to the service center often, maintanence costs would definetly be high. Whereas, a used Esteem would come at a damn good price, spares are cheap and maintanance would not be a problem as even a local mechanic can service a Maruti.
adit1329 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd February 2006, 12:55   #4
BHPian

Thanks for your replies. Now I am stretching my limit and may buy 1999 model Baleno. Hope I will get it for 2 lacs.
prkothan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th August 2006, 17:16   #5
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by prkothan
Thanks for your replies. Now I am stretching my limit and may buy 1999 model Baleno. Hope I will get it for 2 lacs.
hi prkothan, hope u have bought a vehicle by now. i have both the esteem & the bolero with me. though the bolero belongs to my cousin, it is in safe custody with me for the last 1 year. bolero is a terrific vehicle if you are on tough terrains, but you will have to regularly keep her serviced. the P.S oil leak is a major concern for me. had to do it 3 times in the last 1 year. otherwise, except for small niggles, it is a beauty.

i would not recommend the esteem for bad roads. although it rarely takes you to the service centre, your heart will break everytime you hit a pothole, that is if you are very sensitive, like me.
esteem_lover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th August 2006, 22:06   #6
Senior - BHPian

A 99' Baleno for ur 2lakhs...quite a deal....baleno with its awesome power and ride should be the right choice.
danlalan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st August 2006, 03:59   #7
Senior - BHPian

The esteem is based on a hatchback..essentially for use in cities. yes we indians use our cars to the max..take them to the highways..but they are not suitable for the bad roads of mera bharat mahaan. if you get a good deal on a bolero..take it. The bolero is far more safer, little more comfortable, economy should be more or less the same (if the esteem giving mileage in 14+ range and the bolero 10+ range), maintenance should also be the same (mahindras are not that expensive)..and its a big car, will seat 5 in a comfortable manner. esteem is too cramped for 4+ passengers. Definitely Bolero should be a better buy.l
ashutoshb is offline   Reply With Quote